New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: 3.5 Death Auras

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default 3.5 Death Auras

The Death Giant (MMIII) has a "nice" little aura that forces anyone within 15' what is on 10 or fewer hit points to make a fortitude save or die.

The first question is "What can we do to make the aura larger?" E.g. 30' could be really nasty, but I am not aware of a Widen SU feat.

The next question is "What else has a similar aura?" I.e. kills close enemies on 0 or fewer hitpoints. (I am only really after killing 0 or fewer so the DG's 10 or fewer is a bonus.)

There was a related question "what types of corporeal undead can blow a horn of fog?" as skeletons should not be able to, but then I realised that an eversmoking bottle might do me better.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Death Auras

While not a direct answer, you may find this helpful:

Permanent Emanation [Epic]
    Prerequisites
    Spellcraft 25 ranks, ability to cast the spell to be made permanent.

Benefit
    Designate any one of your spells whose area is an emanation centered on you. This spell’s effect is permanent (though you can dismiss or restart it as a free action). Effects that would normally dispel this spell instead suppress it for 2d4 rounds.

Special
    You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time, select a different spell to become permanent.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

SonofZeal - indeed I do - I think Death Knell is the spell that kills those close to you who are on low health so worth checking how it would interact with Permanent Emanation. Something to rememebr to do when I get home from work!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Widen Supernatural Ablity is a feat in the Tome of Magic.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quirp View Post
    Widen Supernatural Ablity is a feat in the Tome of Magic.

Thank-you.

I may as well let on what I am considering as if I run it it won't be for months...

Death Giant with an item of waterbreathing wandering around with some Drowned with a continuous fog bank (ie the eversmoking bottle) moving with them.
    Those that get withing 30' of a drowned start making Con checks - the moment they fail one it's a fort save or be sucked into the Death Giant's aura of souls.
    Speak with Dead/Ressurection won't work
    And cause of death is not drowning so people not likely to realise the drowned are present until they encounter them.
    (Drowned probably being the most under-CR'd creature in the game. If you know what you are facing and have the right spell you are probably OK, if not they are CR8, 20 hit dice and kill by failed CON checks within 30'.)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Water breathing does not save one from the drowned, you have to be entirely without need to breath. Aquatic creatures air drown when around drowned.
    Level 3 feat: improved monster class pimping

RIP North_Ranger you will be missed

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Fiendish Codex II: 9 hells has a Feat called Dilate Aura where you can expand an active aura. But it might be a devil touched feat....im not 100% sure.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GutterFace View Post
    Fiendish Codex II: 9 hells has a Feat called Dilate Aura where you can expand an active aura. But it might be a devil touched feat....im not 100% sure.
    Nope, it just has prerequisite: aura ability. And the Death Giant has the Cha to put it to good use, too.

Not quite what you are looking for, but the Soul Eater from Magic of Incarnum hands out a negative level to everything in 30' and gains a stacking bonus whenever something dies nearby. Evil Outsider with a sack of peasants for self-buffing, anyone?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nyarlathotep View Post
    Water breathing does not save one from the drowned, you have to be entirely without need to breath. Aquatic creatures air drown when around drowned.
    Actually this turns out not to be true - home so just checked books. The exact wording is "All breathing creatures within 30 feet of a drowned are treated as if beneath water in terms of being able to breathe." A water-breathing creature is fine in a drowned's aura, indeed if they don't breathe air they are better off.
    So an undead-rebuking cleric of a water-breathing race can wander pretty much anywhere if they bring a drowned with them...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

If you can fit it in, Greater Consumptive Field also does it.

Permanent Emanation (Sudden Widened) Greater Consumptive Field would be a nightmare.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I don't recognise "(Greater) Consumptive Field" - could you say where it's form so i can take a look?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    I don't recognise "(Greater) Consumptive Field" - could you say where it's form so i can take a look?
    It's in the Spell Compendium.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)