New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 67 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

cool The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

This thread is for the discussion of any and all topics that directly relate to the recently completed Order of the Stick Reprint Drive on Kickstarter. So if you want to talk about reward fulfillment or credit card problems, this is the place.

The original thread is here, but since that's over 100 pages long so we locked it.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

Hey look! A new thread to talk about Kickstarter stuff in. Cool!
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I am very pleased to see such success with the kickstarter. It was always obvious, and should be even more obvious to yourself as well, that...

You deserve it.

PS: And hey, since we're apparently the best fans in the world, it seems like we deserve it too
    Last edited by Defiant; 2012-02-22 at 10:03 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Whoo! New thread!

Also, does anyone have updated knowledge about how long Rich thinks it might take to write up the various PDF stories, and whether they'll be released as one long package or individually?

I have a few vague memories of hearing this or that, but that was at the start of the drive, long before Rich had so much hard work to do!

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    Whoo! New thread!

Also, does anyone have updated knowledge about how long Rich thinks it might take to write up the various PDF stories, and whether they'll be released as one long package or individually?

I have a few vague memories of hearing this or that, but that was at the start of the drive, long before Rich had so much hard work to do!
    I think not even Rich himself knows exactly what's happening when. Bear in mind, he's all of a sudden received a massive influx of work and commitments, not to mention the task of handling the logistics of it all.

We can be assured that it will all be fulfilled, but we may have to exercise some patience before this is all even sorted out in the first place. Give it a bit of time at this point.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I, for one, am more than willing to have patience and take it easy

I understand that this is going to be the mother of all undertakings for Rich, and that his platter will be beyond full.

I just hope that he won't work himself to exhaustion with all this! If getting my swag means taking it easy, waiting a bit longer and not having Rich overworking himself, I can do that

And... My CONGRATULATIONS (yes, in all capital letters) for the wild success of this drive, Rich! You deserve it :)
    JoseB

o/` Ooooh, sweet mystery of liiiiiIIIIIiiife... o/`

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Anyone know when the one or two OOTS characters must be selected for the early (May 2012) Crayon drawings?

No rush but I have a slight fear that I will not be able to decide that quickly so would love some guess as to a rough time frame.

My guess is that I have at least a month or so but that is simply a guess.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Whoo! New thread!

I have no actual answers, but I would actually prefer, at least with the PDF stories, that they be released as they are finished. Because that spreads out the awesomeness over the course of... however long it takes to plot out, write, and draw all those stories.

9. - Top - End - #9

PaladinGuy

My logic is that the year will be full of pleasant surprises.

I don't care how long it takes to finally be able to say, "Hey, I've finally received all the Kickstarter rewards". 2012 will be peppered with OotS themed rewards. I think I'll actually regret it a little bit once I've got everything, just cause I'll know nothing else is coming

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

So...what's the next step, then? My account has been charged/verified by Amazon, so now we just wait on a survey via e-mail? Or do I need to keep checking KS for it?

EDIT: Also, was it ever decided which characters were getting the story treatment?
    Last edited by k_bukie; 2012-02-22 at 10:24 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

*basks in the afterglow*

I think I need to find some sort of addiction program. I continue to have the urge to go check the Kickstarter page to see how we're doing NOW.

12. - Top - End - #12

I don't know at this point. All I know is that I'm not necessarily going to go in the order they were announced, I'm going to go in order of whatever I think I can get done most easily. I would rather get 3-4 of them done right away than wait until I necessarily finish the O-Chul story, which will be the longest one. I will also be releasing them as I finish them.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Me View Post
    Anyone know when the one or two OOTS characters must be selected for the early (May 2012) Crayon drawings?

No rush but I have a slight fear that I will not be able to decide that quickly so would love some guess as to a rough time frame.
    Trust me, you're not going to bother me if you take your time! I may ask as early as next week, but if you don't answer right away, I'll just work on other people's drawings until you do.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by k_bukie View Post
    So...what's the next step, then? My account has been charged/verified by Amazon, so now we just wait on a survey via e-mail? Or do I need to keep checking KS for it?
    It will come to your email, but once I send it, it will also show up as a banner across the top of the KS page when you log in. So it will be hard to miss.

The surveys will be spread out over the course of the next two weeks, depending on which package you got. "Patience" surveys won't go out until later in the year.

Quote Originally Posted by k_bukie View Post
    EDIT: Also, was it ever decided which characters were getting the story treatment?
    Still subject to change, but: Therkla, the Cliffport Cops, and a pre-Order Belkar story.

EDIT to answer the post below this one: Both.
    Rich Burlew

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

THE DRIVE WAS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm so proud of our efforts.
    Just wondering though, what exactly is the free swag in the broke ass student special? I couldn't tell whether it meant the PDFs, or the HPpad/stickers

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    and a pre-Order Belkar story.
    This....this is fantastic!

16. - Top - End - #16

Still subject to change, but: Therkla, the Cliffport Cops, and a pre-Order Belkar story.
    Great choices. Therkla is not the most interesting character for me, but I love the CPD and you can't go wrong with Belkar.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Wow as it stands those are all solid choices. The Cliffport Cops are the least interesting plot wise but a nice addition because i always liked thier more modern world style MO.

As for Therkla, that was a solid choice, she was one of the more tragic, yet likeable characters. Belkar is a great choice, no further comment needed

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Oooh, Cliffport PD story? I heavily approve. Shame there's no Horace storry, but I did not pay the $1250, I don't get to choose (and the 3 choices are all ones I support anyway so I don't mind)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

I participated!

(Can we get that as a sig?)

In the end it was the cutout monsters that won me over - I was sorely tempted by some of the other stuff, but as a Redcoat lackey of George III, the postage was a little too sharp to bear.

Presumably Rich has access to all our email addresses through the Amazon account for pdf distribution? Or will we all get emailed access and passwords to a secret download site directly from Kickstarter?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Good choices, although I admit I'd have loved to find out what became of Hilgya after her stormy exit from that cave...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Nimue View Post
    Good choices, although I admit I'd have loved to find out what became of Hilgya after her stormy exit from that cave...
    I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday. I think she's probably one of the non-dead, non-recurring characters I'm most curious about.

Along came a man by the name of Charlie Mops,
    and he invented a wonderful drink and he made it out of hops.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

smile Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

Again, congratulations to the Giant and to the entire playground that contributed in money or other means of support!!

The Giant should just rest and take his time. I would love the items over the next few months, but I would love the normal updates even better. I figure the swag will come soon enough!!

This is surely an interesting group of fans...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I know if I wanted a choice I should have bought them myself (and they're free so I can't really complain) but none of them make me particularly gleeful. Oh well, I'm sure they'll be entertaining nonetheless.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

a pre-Order Belkar story.
    I cannot express how excited I am about this.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Sounds like fun. And I almost can't wait untill I get the survey and somewhere in June/July will get my books, and all the other stuff off course.

Pre-Order Belkar is awesome, the other two, I don't really know. On the other hand, their stories and I'm happy that we can read them for free so it does not really matter.

Take Care Giant and enjoy my money (and that of the rest off course :P)
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

Lewis Carroll

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I will also be releasing them as I finish them.
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! This was what I hoped you would do but didn't want to pressure you about it. I also approve of the choices made so far by the backers. Of all the characters from the on line strips, Therkla is the one I would most like to know more about. If you were to include SoD there is one other that we never even knew her name and she is probably using a different one now anyway. Belkar and the CPPD are also good choices. Will the backers be able to get any credit in the PDF (if they wish)? So far we only know about WampaX getting the third story. If they wish to remain anonymous thats cool too.
    Last edited by Skavensrule; 2012-02-22 at 11:04 AM.
    "One useless man is called a disgrace, two are called a law firm and three or more become a congress."
    John Adams (lawyer, congressman, 2nd President of the USA)
    I participated!
    Typical of a non-spellcaster to think so linearly............But it's a line.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

Pre-Order Belkar makes me so excited.

Also, I know I asked this before, but I just want to make super-sure: Other than the "Patience packages" all the other rewards will go out on the date they're told to go out? Because some said they'd arrive in April, others in May or June and I just want to make sure they won't go out on some mean date. (I just want to make sure that my "Print Only Special" reward will get to my college address by April.) I'm sorry to bug you like this again.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

im down to wait for awhile on anything. i know the giant will need like a week of rest for whats coming up. take it easy rich, and take your time. im in no hurry for anything.

pre-order belkar, sweet.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just a thought: It might be useful to have a post-Kickstarter FAQ of some sort, or else people are going to keep asking the same questions in different places. E.g., "when will I receive my XYZ" or "what exactly is included in reward XYZ"... or "how close of a relative do they have to be to get in my 'stick it to my family' portrait"...

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Also, I know I asked this before, but I just want to make super-sure: Other than the "Patience packages" all the other rewards will go out on the date they're told to go out? Because some said they'd arrive in April, others in May or June and I just want to make sure they won't go out on some mean date. (I just want to make sure that my "Print Only Special" reward will get to my college address by April.) I'm sorry to bug you like this again.
    If you ordered a package without any signatures, crayon drawings, or similar personal work by me, and you didn't add the Sticky Shticks (which will take longer), then I know of no reason that it wouldn't go out by the end of April. The book printing will be a fairly easy process, since they are all reprints. The printer is already standing by, I just need to mail them the first check for them to pull the switch. I do need to get proofs done for the coloring book, but that's going to the top of my list of work as a result.

If there's any change in that expectation, I'll announce it via the Updates.
    Rich Burlew