New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 67 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

Re: CBR/CBZ: Not going to happen. I don't know anything about the format, and I'm very comfortable with PDFs, since we used to use them back when I did textbook design and production. If you want to read it on a tiny screen, my advice is: don't. Just don't read it on a tiny screen. Wait until you get home, or use a laptop. Is it really essential that you have total access to every piece of media at all times in a format that is perfectly sized? Will you ever need to reference O-Chul's origin story while escaping from a burning building? No. So, it's not essential that it be 100% mobile friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    Also, what is a Solith Knight? My Google-fu must be weak, because all I could find were some names for WoW Arena players...
    It's a country from the campaign setting I was running at the time I founded GITP. I just didn't rename the file from my desktop. There's no reason you should have ever heard of it.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Re: CBR/CBZ: Not going to happen. I don't know anything about the format
    CBR/CBZ is super easy; just arrange all the files as JPG and use a compression program to Zip or Rar them and then rename the extension as CBR for RAR compression or CBZ for Zip compression.

IMO PDFs are better for mobile devices as the images render faster for the smaller screens. I have PDFs and CBR/CBZ on my tablet and the both look good but PDFs seem to work more smoothly.

On the other hand; CBR/CBZ is much faster on the desktop.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

It's a country from the campaign setting I was running at the time I founded GITP. I just didn't rename the file from my desktop. There's no reason you should have ever heard of it.
    Man, I remember when your avatar was from that setting, and not an OOTS-Style self portrait. I feel old.

Also, having just stayed up to listen to that podcast interview you gave for GeekAdemia, I must say, your voice sounds nothing like I imagined. Not that I can clearly remember what I imagined....

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hushdawg View Post
    CBR/CBZ blah blah blah
    *sigh*
    Can't you read? He's not interested, honestly some people won't stop preaching about their OS/edition/preferred file format. PDF is what were getting, which is something that pretty much everyone has on their PC anyway. You may as well expect people to get photoshop just because you like sending it as a psd.

And Giant, I read OotS on my smartphone sometimes, as sometimes there's no choice.

Still would like to know about the last mystery prize.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

5. - Top - End - #275
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Is it really essential that you have total access to every piece of media at all times in a format that is perfectly sized?
    Hah, you really are a bit old fashioned, aren't you? It's cool, I like that

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Also, having just stayed up to listen to that podcast interview you gave for GeekAdemia, I must say, your voice sounds nothing like I imagined. Not that I can clearly remember what I imagined....
    Completely agree, I think the voice was deeper than I imagined. Although it was nice to hear that he sounds just as sharp and meticulous live, as he does in text.

6. - Top - End - #276

Mr Burlew, are you still closed to the idea of an OotS computer game (simple or otherwise), especially in light of the Kickstarter turn-out?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

Will you ever need to reference O-Chul's origin story while escaping from a burning building? No.
    So the story is not about O-Chul escaping from a burning building.
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #278
    Pixie in the Playground

Personally, I'm fine with any format that isn't JPG. As a pixel artist (among other things), I HATE JPG with a fiery passion, or any other format that goes "I disagree with your choices and will force my own upon you."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

What I really admire is the addition of the "broke-ass-student" reward!

Bravo!!!

I saw the comment of someone saying he waits for such a reward in the forum and thought "poor bastard, I know how you feel"

and I think many of us can relate to this.

I was really happy when I saw, that Rich had added such an award. Sure, it was a limited reward, but it was just beautiful to see it!

I salute Rich for this!
    Also I find it well phrased, that you should have the right to claim it and not take advandage in this case.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xapi View Post
    Creating your own CBZ or CBR file is incredibly easy.

Unrelated to that, I don't think the Giant would release something like that because of the quality loss from PDF to JPG.
    Ooo CBRs would be awesome. What program do you need to create them?

11. - Top - End - #281

WinZip, WinRAR, 7-Zip, or something similar.

12. - Top - End - #282

Quote Originally Posted by link3710 View Post
    Ooo CBRs would be awesome. What program do you need to create them?
    You're going to need to export the PDFs one page at a time into PNGs or GIFs.

Then, Zip the pages into a single file (using any compressing software), and change the extension from .zip to .cbz.

There, it's done.

Edit: For CBRs, change "Zip" with "Rar" and "cbz" with "cbr". The process is the same, you just have to use RAR compressing instead of Zip.
    Last edited by Xapi; 2012-02-24 at 09:07 AM.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

13. - Top - End - #283

Man, I remember when your avatar was from that setting, and not an OOTS-Style self portrait. I feel old.

If I recall, that avatar was the image with the lines and colored circles?
    Maaan, that takes me back.
    I remember the only reason that I met Rich the first time was because of my roomate's association with the Nifty crew. Amazing that it all worked out like it did.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

14. - Top - End - #284

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty View Post
    Completely agree, I think the voice was deeper than I imagined. Although it was nice to hear that he sounds just as sharp and meticulous live, as he does in text.
    Oddly enough, I had the opposite reaction. His voice is slightly higher pitched that I had imagined. I still appreciate that he's just as articulate in speech as he is in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by WampaX View Post
    That was the one!

15. - Top - End - #285

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    *sigh*

Still would like to know about the last mystery prize.
    The last mystery prize is mine, but at this point, I know as much about it as you do (I figured that's why its a mystery).

16. - Top - End - #286

Quote Originally Posted by Aurorax View Post
    The last mystery prize is mine, but at this point, I know as much about it as you do (I figured that's why its a mystery).
    I think he was talking about Mistery Prize #9.

17. - Top - End - #287

SamuraiGuy

I think he was talking about Mistery Prize #9.
    Ah, well then...

at this point, I know as much about it as you do (I figured that's why its a mystery).

See, almost the same answer

18. - Top - End - #288

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2012-02-26 at 03:05 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289

There are programs that will do this step for you available as freeware with no watermarking.

PDF is a higher quality format so it's easy to take that and produce the CBR/CBZ if that's what you want. But to take a CBR/CBZ and convert it to PDF is a real pain in the butt so it's better to have the PDF released from Giant and then convert it yourself later. (for those out there who are demanding this format)

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hushdawg View Post
    CBR/CBZ is super easy; just arrange all the files as JPG and use a compression program to Zip or Rar them and then rename the extension as CBR for RAR compression or CBZ for Zip compression.

Then, Zip the pages into a single file (using any compressing software), and change the extension from .zip to .cbz.

There, it's done.
    Super easy? Let's think about that for a moment -- both of these sets of instructions involve a potentially labor-intensive step of "...arranging all the files as JPG/PNG/GIF...". Then while Windoes does Zip itself, Rar-ing them is going to take yet another program. Then the extension rename -- if there are several of these compressed packages, this is another labor-intensive step which windows actually makes a bit more bothersome when changing extensions, what with its warning dialog every single time.

So, super easy? Far from it.

No -- "Super Easy" will only be achieved when one can speak to their computer, Star Trek style, and simply say "Computer! Convert my files to CBR/CBZ".

21. - Top - End - #291
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aurorax View Post
    Oooh, will you please tell us when you know what it is? I have freshly baked brownies to bribe you, should that be necessary.

And congratulations on snagging it!

22. - Top - End - #292

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDJ View Post
    Super easy? Let's think about that for a moment -- both of these sets of instructions involve a potentially labor-intensive step of "...arranging all the files as JPG/PNG/GIF...". Then while Windoes does Zip itself, Rar-ing them is going to take yet another program. Then the extension rename -- if there are several of these compressed packages, this is another labor-intensive step which windows actually makes a bit more bothersome when changing extensions, what with its warning dialog every single time.

So, super easy? Far from it.
    It's pretty easy once you have the right tools. WinRAR and 7-Zip are easier to use and have more features than WinZip, worth the effort of acquiring one of them. As for file renaming, there's the command console that lets you mass rename and ignore warnings, and there's also my personal favorite, Bulk Rename Utility.
    No -- "Super Easy" will only be achieved when one can speak to their computer, Star Trek style, and simply say "Computer! Convert my files to CBR/CBZ".
    Agreed.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

Maaan, that takes me back.
    I remember the only reason that I met Rich the first time was because of my roomate's association with the Nifty crew. Amazing that it all worked out like it did.
    Was that avatar one with three or four yellow circles of different sizes connected by yellow squiggly lines that looked a bit like lightning? Because if they are I lurked for a lot longer then I thought.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

OK, no more discussion of file formats in this thread. Start a new thread in Friendly Banter for discussing the pros and cons of various formats if you really must, but not here.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

25. - Top - End - #295

Quote Originally Posted by thepsyker View Post
    Was that avatar one with three or four yellow circles of different sizes connected by yellow squiggly lines that looked a bit like lightning? Because if they are I lurked for a lot longer then I thought.
    No. It was an array of 7 circles (four above, three below), each with a black outline and filled with a different color. If I recall correctly, they represented the 7 schools of magic with the opposition schools connected by solid black lines. The whole thing was on a white background.

That sounds right or close to right in my mind
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

26. - Top - End - #296

OK, no more discussion of file formats in this thread. Start a new thread in Friendly Banter for discussing the pros and cons of various formats if you really must, but not here.

When are we going to get a new Kickstarter Update? I was under the impression you'd get to work oin that after the comic was posted, but maybe I was wrong...

Edit: In case the tone isn't quite getting through, this is an actual honest question, not a demand.

I'm extremely happy with the amount of updates in the comic, Kickstarter, and generally huge amount of work the Giant has been doing for us.
    Last edited by Xapi; 2012-02-24 at 01:41 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297

No. It was an array of 7 circles (four above, three below), each with a black outline and filled with a different color. If I recall correctly, they represented the 7 schools of magic with the opposition schools connected by solid black lines. The whole thing was on a white background.

I thought it was 8 circles (a hexagon with red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple at the corners, bisected by a line segment with black and white at the ends)? But yes, I think we're remembering, however vaguely and inaccurately, the same avatar.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Now I want to see this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oddly enough, I had the opposite reaction. His voice is slightly higher pitched that I had imagined. I still appreciate that he's just as articulate in speech as he is in writing.
    I guess we shouldn't start discussing what we imagine the characters sound like then
    Last edited by Mighty; 2012-02-24 at 01:55 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Orc in the Playground

Ok, then I'm thinking of someone else. I know I've been reading the comic from near the beginning, but I didn't think I paid much attention to the forums until a good deal after I started reading.