New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021223762 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post

I don't understand.

I said the reason I'm glad no one picked him.

You quoted me saying the reason I'm glad no one picked him, and said that it was all I said, as though it couldn't be the reason I'm glad no one picked him.

...I don't understand.

(And if you think the primary thing I have against Tarquin is anything other than the way this forum massively overrates him, you're wrong.)
    So why do you think he's overrated? Details please, I for one think he makes a great contrast to Xykon and is hilarious in his genre-saviness
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    So why do you think he's overrated? Details please, I for one think he makes a great contrast to Xykon and is hilarious in his genre-saviness
    the way this forum massively overrates him
    I think you are actually demonstrating her exact reason: people on the forum endlessly talk him up. Express anything less than devotion, and a throng of people will immediately gather, demand an explanation, and otherwise protest against your OPINION.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xapi View Post
    He said why it doesn't exist now in the Geekademia interview.

The relevant part is transcribed here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=221

(I knew this would come in handy eventually)
    I think you quoted the wrong part. But that could just be me...
    Awesome avatar courtesy Cealocanth.

Spoiler
    Show
    it's a crab and a cancer... just ask the zodiac...
    At the end of the KICKSTARTER pledge drive the number of unclaimed signed packages was 69 ! It's like my signature knew all along...

4. - Top - End - #334
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I for my part am most happy about the Therkla story - i have thought about the possibility to choose a character a few times the last month and would have chosen her (if i had the money available ;)). My idea would have been a stick tale like "The Little Mermaid" (the original one by H. C. Andersen, not this modern Arielle thing) or something similar with her as the tragic heroine.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

I couldn't speak on how T is rated on this forum, as I spend most of my time in the Games Other section. Frankly I find this opinion of him:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    I for one think he makes a great contrast to Xykon and is hilarious in his genre-saviness
    odd. I didn't think he was worth any more rating than Goblin #32. He's sure to die in the some way. By accident or as a joke, at the hands of Xykon, who won't even know or remember what he did.
    his genre saviness isn't that savvy. He should have known to stay far away from the main plot.

Personally, I'm glad to get any side character's story, although I was hoping for more dirt farmers, Rich said he loved writing them. And I did enjoy reading them. Also Ninja waitress resistance story would have been great. I hope she got out of the mountain in time.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2012-02-25 at 10:06 AM.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

While I do feel a little disappointed that the last Mystery Prize will remain a Mystery, I totally understand why. Similarly the Kickstarter support makes sense even if Rich could in the same way the if you want SS&DT you have to pick it up fast. We'll see how Rich's Workometer works out. (No pun intented.)
    Wizard's First Rule: People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or they are afraid it is true.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Maybe the Mystery Prize is just to have an eternally enticing Mystery always whetting our appetites for more?

8. - Top - End - #338
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Maybe the Mystery Prize is just to have an eternally enticing Mystery always whetting our appetites for more?
    Some day, 100 years from now, Rich's true will is found. It describes 7 keys scattered around the world and gives a hint as to the location of the first key. Fans gather their resources and begin the hunt for the last mystery prize!
    Nah, too much "Ready Player One"
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2012-02-25 at 10:14 AM.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    Some day, 100 years from now, Rich's true will is found. It describes 7 keys scattered around the world and gives a hint as to the location of the first key. Fans gather their resources and begin the hunt for the last mystery prize!
    I know that's a reference Forbiddenwar, but I can't place it. Where's it from?
    Wizard's First Rule: People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or they are afraid it is true.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unisus View Post
    I for my part am most happy about the Therkla story - i have thought about the possibility to choose a character a few times the last month and would have chosen her (if i had the money available ;)). My idea would have been a stick tale like "The Little Mermaid" (the original one by H. C. Andersen, not this modern Arielle thing) or something similar with her as the tragic heroine.
    I think this is clever, picking a fairy takes with a less-than -happy ending. Plus it's be fun to see Haley (maybe?) as the rival princess.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Xapi View Post
    He said why it doesn't exist now in the Geekademia interview.

The relevant part is transcribed here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=221

(I knew this would come in handy eventually)
    I am very glad that my imagination had never even considered a "pantsless Roy" or an Elan/Nale pairing untill that interview. Although I will admit I always pictured Haley in a rather scimpier outfit until comic #675.

edit: Of course now she is in the type of outfit that I always pictured her to be in.
    Last edited by Skavensrule; 2012-02-25 at 10:28 AM.
    "One useless man is called a disgrace, two are called a law firm and three or more become a congress."
    John Adams (lawyer, congressman, 2nd President of the USA)
    I participated!
    Typical of a non-spellcaster to think so linearly............But it's a line.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    I couldn't speak on how T is rated on this forum, as I spend most of my time in the Games Other section. Frankly I find this opinion of him:

odd. I didn't think he was worth any more rating than Goblin #32. He's sure to die in the some way. By accident or as a joke, at the hands of Xykon, who won't even know or remember what he did.
    his genre saviness isn't that savvy. He should have known to stay far away from the main plot.
    Very true, but what Ravian said is very mild by the standards of this section of the forum. He didn't assert that Tarquin is obviously epic. Or would defeat Xykon if they ever fought. Or that he's replaced Xykon as the primary villain of the comic. Or that Tarquin isn't actually evil, or is technically evil but it takes an incredible effort of will for readers to remember that he's supposed to be evil at all, or that he's completely above the alignment system. Or that his plan is so brilliant that he can't possibly lose.

(Yes, those are all common here. No, I am not joking or exaggerating.)

13. - Top - End - #343
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Very true, but what Ravian said is very mild by the standards of this section of the forum. [..]

For what its worth, I feel like you. (Actually, I also dislike 99% of everything Elan and Nale have done, so double-flame-bait)

As for the topic of the 1250$-stories, I'm very glad Belkar was chosen.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by raymundo View Post
    For what its worth, I feel like you. (Actually, I also dislike 99% of everything Elan and Nale have done, so double-flame-bait)

As for the topic of the 1250$-stories, I'm very glad Belkar was chosen.
    Was Belkar chosen? Where'd you her that Raymundo? It almost seems counterintuitive with what we know of why Rich didn't have exhaustive story about him otOotPC.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LordRahl6 View Post
    Was Belkar chosen? Where'd you her that Raymundo? It almost seems counterintuitive with what we know of why Rich didn't have exhaustive story about him otOotPC.
    It's confirmed that Belkar is one of the three storites, either upthread here or over in the other thread(s). It doesn't have to be an origin story though, just a story of something Belkar did before the order, like his adventures with Buggy Lou.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGirl

Yes, a pre-OOTS Belkar was chosen...but that doesn't HAVE to mean anything about his origins. Rich can choose anything about what Belkar had done prior to OOTS.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Thanks Guys that really helps me understand things a little better. I was just confused due to what an origin story about why Belkar is so mean would do to future comics down the line.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Not necessarily, I have known many players that filled in back story long after a character had been in use. It all depends on the person. For myself I usually only created minimal back story unless we were allowed to jump start the character at higher than 1st level (which with my DM's was always extremely rare) The few times we were allowed to create non-beginner characters we had to create a history.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    It's confirmed that Belkar is one of the three stories, either upthread here or over in the other thread(s). It doesn't have to be an origin story though, just a story of something Belkar did before the order, like his adventures with Buggy Lou.
    This is actually the story I am hoping for, something that has already been introduced in the comic that we know only minimal details of but could make a great short story.
    "One useless man is called a disgrace, two are called a law firm and three or more become a congress."
    John Adams (lawyer, congressman, 2nd President of the USA)
    I participated!
    Typical of a non-spellcaster to think so linearly............But it's a line.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've got nothing against Belkar, but I feel like we already get a lot of Belkar, so it seems like a waste to me. I'd have gone with some Stick Tales - Macbeth, or The Crucible if it were in public domain. Still, it's not my $1,250, so... But these are good picks. Love CPD, and the idea of a Terkla story is intriguing.
    Last edited by JCarter426; 2012-02-25 at 11:52 AM.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Personally, I was hoping for a Sticktale as told by either Vaarsuvius or Durkon, since the two of them didn't get to share one in SS&DT.

That, or something infuriatingly obscure, like "Whatever happened to Ydranna?"
    Last edited by Grey Watcher; 2012-02-25 at 12:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Personally, I was hoping for a Sticktale as told by either Vaarsuvius or Durkon, since the two of them didn't get to share one in SS&DT.

No, frustratingly obscure would be requesting an entire story about the staff of Dorukan's Dungeon when they went out to the sandwich shop.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    No, frustratingly obscure would be requesting an entire story about the staff of Dorukan's Dungeon when they went out to the sandwich shop.
    I very probably wouldn't have done it (mostly because of, you know, the lynching and all), but if I had popped for a $1250 prize a not small part of me would wanted to see more of the adventures of the Tiny Refreshing Gods. Either before or after their encounter with the upstart snacks.

And, no, I am NOT kidding. As I have mentioned elsewhere I have been waiting for YEARS for a sequel to that comic, and the temptation might have been too much to ignore.

Except for the whole, you know, torches and pitchforks brigade showing up at my door.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-02-25 at 12:52 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

23. - Top - End - #353
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    I very probably wouldn't have done it (mostly because of, you know, the lynching and all), but if I had popped for a $1250 prize a not small part of me would wanted to see more of the adventures of the Tiny Refreshing Gods. Either before or after their encounter with the upstart snacks.

And, no, I am NOT kidding. As I have mentioned elsewhere I have been waiting for YEARS for a sequel to that comic, and the temptation might have been too much to ignore.

Except for the whole, you know, torches and pitchforks brigade showing up at my door.
    Easy solution: request a story about any character, and tack on a "and please make another brief intermission with the Tiny Refreshing Gods". Problem solved.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

And, as I've mentioned before... it's not an uncute idea by quite a fair margin (to be honest, I much prefer it to the Belkar idea). Plus, I would be willing to man the barricades against whatever mob might form.

Porthos, sometimes, you take self-depreciation a little too far. Revel in the fact you have some imagination.
    '~:. F5 Camper With Muscle-Memory Issues .:~'

25. - Top - End - #355
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Actually you would not have had to tell anybody that this was your idea, so there would have been no torches or pitchforks... ;)

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Very true, but what Ravian said is very mild by the standards of this section of the forum. He didn't assert that Tarquin is obviously epic. Or would defeat Xykon if they ever fought. Or that he's replaced Xykon as the primary villain of the comic. Or that Tarquin isn't actually evil, or is technically evil but it takes an incredible effort of will for readers to remember that he's supposed to be evil at all, or that he's completely above the alignment system. Or that his plan is so brilliant that he can't possibly lose.

Well yes I admit he's not that amazing, and he's clearly Lawful Evil, and he's certainly not invincible, but I still consider him a very nice character, and a very interesting villain (Much better than say Kubota who was fighting for something already lost)
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

27. - Top - End - #357
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Euodiachloris View Post
    And, as I've mentioned before... it's not an uncute idea by quite a fair margin (to be honest, I much prefer it to the Belkar idea). Plus, I would be willing to man the barricades against whatever mob might form...
    I'd lend my gun to such a cause.

Sheriff: Also, regarding some of the other discussion, please take character discussion and debate to another thread.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-02-25 at 02:45 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

28. - Top - End - #358
    Troll in the Playground

(And if you think the primary thing I have against Tarquin is anything other than the way this forum massively overrates him, you're wrong.)
    So it's not really the character himself, but the forum's attitude toward him, that gets your goat? Huh.

Quote Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
    I'd have gone with some Stick Tales - Macbeth, or The Crucible if it were in public domain.
    a not small part of me would wanted to see more of the adventures of the Tiny Refreshing Gods.
    Those are awesome ideas! Hint, hint, Giant, for your next print-only book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Euodiachloris View Post
    Porthos, sometimes, you take self-depreciation a little too far. Revel in the fact you have some imagination.
    Well in all honesty, I wasn't being self-deprecating as such. More concerned at the reactions of "WHAT! OUT OF ALL OF THE CHARACTERS SOMEONE CHOSE POPCORN!1! AHFJKH:ASJ"

But now that I know that I have you and Six Guns (as well as other people mentioned) at my back, I might be a bit more tempted in the future.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-02-25 at 03:59 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

30. - Top - End - #360
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I'd love a sequel to the Refreshments. It doesn't seem to be as unpopular as you think Porthos.