New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 67 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

Quote Originally Posted by Qwo View Post
    This has probably been asked over a million times, but my google-fu is weak: Will the books be available for general purchase for those of us that missed the kickstarter? Or is there some way I can throw money at Rich for a copy even though the kickstarter is over?
    All the books except for Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales will be available at Okoodokoo and some gaming/comicstores.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

Lewis Carroll

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The whole point of the drive was to put the books back in print for the general public, so the answer is yes.
    Suspiciously normal.
    I'm from the Government. We're here to help!
    2nd Age Elven Warrior by Vrythas. Elves are not pansies!

3. - Top - End - #603
    Pixie in the Playground

Yusss. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #604
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Has everyone else gotten their Kickstarter order form?

Got mine for the 3 signed not-on-the-internet books a few days ago.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Pixie in the Playground

Please forgive me if this has already been answered. I need to send Rich reference pictures for the portrait, but managed to not write down the email address to send these to. Does anyone have that address?

6. - Top - End - #606
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Denyala View Post
    Please forgive me if this has already been answered. I need to send Rich reference pictures for the portrait, but managed to not write down the email address to send these to. Does anyone have that address?
    [email protected] - be sure to include your backer screen name in the subject line as well as the secret phrase.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FafnerMorell View Post
    [email protected] - be sure to include your backer screen name in the subject line as well as the secret phrase.
    Thank you!!

8. - Top - End - #608
    Troll in the Playground

Why did Kickstarter tell me that I had to include $37 shipping for being an international pledger? I included $10 for it to get to me, but no one said $37 shipping for a $38 pledge.

And where is the space where I put in what to write on my book?

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    Wouldn't that simply be "Rich Burlew"?

10. - Top - End - #610
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Why did Kickstarter tell me that I had to include $37 shipping for being an international pledger? I included $10 for it to get to me, but no one said $37 shipping for a $38 pledge.
    As I understand it, $10 is for an envelope and $37 is for a box. Seems that the envelope can take at most a second coloring book and one OOTS book. If you took the $38 pledge $10 should be correct, even if you added an extra coloring book. The survey was probably incorrect.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_DW View Post
    As I understand it, $10 is for an envelope and $37 is for a box. Seems that the envelope can take at most a second coloring book and one OOTS book. If you took the $38 pledge $10 should be correct, even if you added an extra coloring book. The survey was probably incorrect.
    As Rick said take into account how many extra books are in the order. If it turns out you probably should have put a little more in your pledge to cover postage, then you'd probably have to email Rich. Don't know if he is personalising his signatures, I assumed not unless he said otherwise - he does have rather a lot of work to go though.

I think that the surveys and reward descriptions were a little unclear for a few cases - mostly because of the complications in the way the whole drive developed.

On mine at $75 for a digital portrait and signed art print it didn't say anything about $10 for international shipping - just $37 for if you were adding books, which I didn't require. Didn't mention $10 in survey either.

Because the closest other reward level that had a signed art print said $10 I included it anyway, in case it was a slight oversight and it was required. If it was included in the reward, its extra money to Rich and I don't mind, if not had accounted for it and less to sort out later.
    Last edited by Morgath; 2012-03-18 at 06:06 AM. Reason: fussy b'stard
    Poster type: Lurker.
    Subclass: Hardy Perennial.
    Will appear at irregular times a couple of times a year, bloom briefly, then hide away till next time. Can be treated as any normal poster while visible; but doesn't like being out in the sun for extended periods of time.

Avatar by a certain Rich Burlew. Only cost $75 and a new F5 key (+p&p)

12. - Top - End - #612
    Troll in the Playground

My point is that I saw nothing about adding $37 to a $38 pledge until now. If I had known about that I would have seriously reconsidered getting a signed book. I have all of Rich's books, so the signed one was just something extra.

I'll email him and sort it out, but I'll be seriously annoyed if there's an additional hidden cost. He said $10 should be enough to cover international shipping.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

13. - Top - End - #613
    Troll in the Playground

My point is that I saw nothing about adding $37 to a $38 pledge until now. If I had known about that I would have seriously reconsidered getting a signed book. I have all of Rich's books, so the signed one was just something extra.

I'll email him and sort it out, but I'll be seriously annoyed if there's an additional hidden cost. He said $10 should be enough to cover international shipping.
    I may be way off base, but here is what it looks like to me:

The 38 pledge is 1 signed book, magnet, HP pad, coloring book and stickers. You could have added an additional coloring book and other swag. (See update 22)
    All of which fit in a small envelope for $10 international shipping, according to update 18.

If you added an additional money to get another full sized color compilation, then you may have bumped it up to a box. But since the $38 pledge level doesn't give you the option, it would have to be a special order and you arranged it with Rich ahead of time.

If the kickstarter survey is claiming that you needed more for international shipping, it seems likely to be a mistake. Many of the surveys have had odd typos and mistakes in them. I filled out three and each had some mistake, like "Did you add an Extra $6 to your pledge for the shticky stick cards?" even though they were free in the reward.

It might help us to know where are you getting the "need more money" message and what it exactly says. Also let us know, or Rich, know if you added a lot more to the $38 reward level that may have bumped it up to box level shipping.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Troll in the Playground

I only added an additional colouring book, nothing else. If the $37 is a typo, it's a pretty big one. I have emailed rich about it. When I get the chance I'll see if I can get a screenshot.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

15. - Top - End - #615
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDJ View Post
    I'm afraid I'll pass - and just buy it (if interested) once it is out. The problem with this one is it lacks the documentary aspect of the Double Fine drive. Seems this is nothing but a sales gimick. Now, I'm not against KickStarter to fund stuff like this, but you've got to make it more interesting in the "rewards" department, else I'll just buy it retail.
    You're missing the point: Crowdsourcing for such products serves to facilitate their very existence. For major publishers, profitability is only part of the equation. The size of the projected revenues also plays a considerable role in determining whether or not they'll start or maintain a project. (I believe there's a discussion relating to this, Hasbro, core brands, and Wizards of the Coast product lines somewhere on enworld.) It's a big part of why otherwise successful product lines are left to die, or licensed out to third parties, or brutalized to fit them into a format associated with greater revenues (like MMOs).

Crowdsourcing is a possible a way to enable reviving these licenses, and without tearing out their heart and soul. The success of Double Fine's adventure game has led to the serious possibility that Psychonauts might see the same treatment, for example.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

New update - the money has changed hands! Twice, actually; after 55 hours as a millionaire, Rich has officially used a substantial portion of the proceeds to officially order the book reprints.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

17. - Top - End - #617
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

I have a question. I have no money, being a highschool student, and so my mom did the Kickstarter as a birthday present. I keep telling her to check her e-mail for the Survey, which I know by this point she's received because we weren't a Patience Package, but she's procrastinating hard, and won't check her e-mail no matter how much I remind her. Is there a point where your order is rendered invalid if you don't fill out the survey, or will things be okay if I let her take her time?
    Last edited by Loki_42; 2012-03-19 at 08:09 PM.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Loki_42 View Post
    I have a question. I have no money, being a highschool student, and so my mom did the Kickstarter as a birthday present. I keep telling her to check her e-mail for the Survey, which I know by this point she's received because we weren't a Patience Package, but she's procrastinating hard, and won't check her e-mail no matter how much I remind her. Is there a point where your order is rendered invalid if you don't fill out the survey, or will things be okay if I let her take her time?
    Not an official answer, but I believe you'll be ok. The one major catch is that if she waits too long you'll get bumped to the end of the list and may not get your rewards until after even the Patience packages have all gone out. I'm not sure about the "after the Patience packages" bit, but you would at least be moved to the tail end of the regular list so you'd be among the last to receive a non-Patience reward.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2012-03-19 at 08:32 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

19. - Top - End - #619
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Some cross promotion is always good:
    Burlew Point Party: At $12,541, everyone who pledged $22+ gets an original sticker by OOTS author Rich Burlew!
    "I actually asked Rich if I could just use an existing picture of Roy, but he insisted on doing an original picture for the project based on the 1e DMG characters. Thanks, Rich!"

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...p/posts/193165

20. - Top - End - #620
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I knew Rich's days as a millionaire would be short. That was a given. However about the patch, I believe that the Giant errored in background color in describing it Khaki. Khaki used to describe tan, but know ellicts that green on the early version he received. Also my survey did go out within week of the end of the drive. Finally good to see the change in color for dicening when a project is completed. It was a great idea Rich.
    Wizard's First Rule: People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or they are afraid it is true.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

News regarding the Top 10: it looks like we'll be pushed down to 4th place in a month or so.

inXile Entertainment's Kickstarter for Wasteland 2 met their goal of $900,000 (the highest ever on Kickstarter) in 42.5 hours and has currently raised $1,419,225 in a week. That's more than enough to relegate OotS to #4, and less than $50,000 away from taking second place after Double Fine. Given that inXile has 27 days yet to go, it could even realistically dethrone Shaefer.

Apparently, Wasteland was released in 1988 and was one of the major influences for the original Fallout. I think this looks great, and you should back it if you're into post-apocalyptica. Myself, I'll think about it for a while more, but it has the potential to be amazing.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

22. - Top - End - #622
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tulya View Post
    You're missing the point: Crowdsourcing for such products serves to facilitate their very existence. For major publishers, profitability is only part of the equation. The size of the projected revenues also plays a considerable role in determining whether or not they'll start or maintain a project. (I believe there's a discussion relating to this, Hasbro, core brands, and Wizards of the Coast product lines somewhere on enworld.) It's a big part of why otherwise successful product lines are left to die, or licensed out to third parties, or brutalized to fit them into a format associated with greater revenues (like MMOs).

Crowdsourcing is a possible a way to enable reviving these licenses, and without tearing out their heart and soul. The success of Double Fine's adventure game has led to the serious possibility that Psychonauts might see the same treatment, for example.
    But I think that is what is turning me off from their promotion. DoubleFine was a huge success (and I supported).

So then along comes another rather similar offering by somebody else. It just feels like they are trying to leech off the success of others, without actually having something unique to offer (the lack of documentary, for example), and the rewards lacking in any sort of creativity.

It just feels like after a few genuine successes with crowdsourcing, that others have decided to use it as a standard way of marketing. Others that don't need the crowdsourcing to raise funds, but are using it to ... spread advertising...??

I worry that is going to dilute the true 'upstarts' within the crowdsourcing (and Kickstarter) community. In fact, for me I'm already feeling that way because of this new entry feeling so similar to DoubleFine, but without any new creativity in "how" they offer their product/rewards - hence my reason for passing by on it.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

im sure theres an answer somewhere here, but i found out after the drive was over that i needed to add sales tax becuase i live in texas. its on one of the kickstarter updates. has rich said anything about that?

24. - Top - End - #624

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by cheesymetal View Post
    im sure theres an answer somewhere here, but i found out after the drive was over that i needed to add sales tax becuase i live in texas. its on one of the kickstarter updates. has rich said anything about that?
    Yes, it was mentioned in an update during the drive. Since Ookoodook has a shipping facility in TX, you must pay sales tax. I live in Texas and I overpledged x1.0825, which should be enough.

Last edited by Smolder; 2012-03-20 at 08:24 PM.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    Yes, it was mentioned in an update during the drive. Since Ookoodook has a shipping facility in TX, you must pay sales tax. I live in Texas and I overpledged x1.0825, which should be enough.
    Huh. That's news to me. Just found it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...e/posts/177359
    If you live in the states of Pennsylvania or Texas, it would be helpful to me if you increased your pledge by 6% (PA) or 8.25% (TX) of your total to cover the state sales tax I will need to pay on your order. I didn't realize this until today, but there it is. I realize not everyone will necessarily notice this before the end of the drive; we'll be able to figure something out even if some of you miss it.
    Last edited by Tulya; 2012-03-20 at 08:50 PM.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Loki_42 View Post
    If you can log into the Kickstarter site yourself, you should be able to fill out the survey anyway. Just look for an orange bar across the top of the screen asking for action to be taken.

Failing that, if we don't get your survey response by the time your package would be ready to ship, it will get bumped back in line. We'll probably check again before we move to the Patience packages and once more after. But keep in mind that it will take at least two weeks (probably three) to reprint the books, so there's plenty of time left to get that survey in.

I only added an additional colouring book, nothing else. If the $37 is a typo, it's a pretty big one. I have emailed rich about it. When I get the chance I'll see if I can get a screenshot.
    I already answered your email about this, but for the public (since you mentioned here): The $37 is a typo in that particular survey. I copy-pasted the text from another reward level with higher shipping costs when I was sending out the survey. $10 will cover the international shipping, and no one is asking anyone to send more.

Quote Originally Posted by LordRahl6 View Post
    However about the patch, I believe that the Giant errored in background color in describing it Khaki. Khaki used to describe tan, but know ellicts that green on the early version he received.
    Actually, the error was a result of me picking a color off of a digital chart of the possible twill colors, and that chart being really, REALLY inaccurate. Like, far more inaccurate than when they just say, "Keep in mind that all monitors display colors differently." So for the fix, I gave the stitcher a PMS color to match, and it came out fine.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

27. - Top - End - #627
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I live in Texas and had never heard of this before now... so now what?

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, just order the books online when they're reprinted.

29. - Top - End - #629

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I live in Texas and had never heard of this before now... so now what?
    The first step is to send Rich a message via Kickstarter.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    Well, just order the books online when they're reprinted.
    Given that they provided their location, I would imagine they're implying, "I was not aware that sales tax was applicable to Texas orders, and so I never increased my pledge to cover the taxes. What should I do now that the pledge drive is over, and the pledges have been locked in and processed already?"

Drop Rich an email explaining your situation, and I'm sure he'll help to resolve it. I intend to do the same.
    Last edited by Tulya; 2012-03-23 at 01:34 PM.