New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Wick View Post
    I'm guessing the Cliffport Cops will be fun for you - can we expect some sort of cop show parody?
    The backer literally requested "some sort of cop show parody starring the CPPD." So, yes.

Looks like someone did in fact manage to corner you into writing the sort of story you'd really rather not have written (though not to the extent of, say, Right-Eye's daughter)...
    Not at all; as mentioned above, a pre-Order story is not the same as an ORIGIN story. I can do an entire story of Belkar being Belkar without ever explaining WHY he's like that, which is what I said I didn't want to do.

I'm just glad no one picked something like GwaH.
    My wife and I fully predicted that this would be one of the choices if they stayed open long enough for forumites to pool their money. Luckily, they went quickly.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

*basks in afterglow as instructed* Congratulations and thanks for the ride, everyone.
    --
    I'm glad Rich is creating stuff... when he's creating stuff. It wouldn't make sense for his inspiration & creativity to be reined in because of a list/schedule.
    --
    The tentative selections for the story PDFs all seem like good, solid choices that'll add ?depth?more data? to the universe. Plenty of space for Rich to work in. I can't wait to see the bonus untamed-Belkar material!
    --
    Damn you, Therkla-chooser! You've put Rich on the spot. Will her background tug at the heart strings even more? Or will Rich present a clearly evil background, turning future events (i.e. the core story) into a "happy ending"?
    What if I was happy with my head in the sand?
    This is Ring 0 all over again!!!!!!!!

I'll have to read it from behind the couch.
    I participated... and I broke it!

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg View Post
    Another topic: in Germany we have to pay import tax on goods from the US. If there is no bill on the outside of the package, it will be delivered to a customs office, which is just some bother (especially if the packages don't arrive all at the same time). If there is no bill at all, we have to present our own to the customs officer. The only thing we have is the confirmation mails with the whole amount pledged, which could be significantly higher than what the goods are actually worth (some rewards are mainly delivered electronically, too).

So, if possible, it would be nice if the people at Oookoodook who make the packages include a bill not about the amount pledged, but about the things delivered in the package. It would be extremely nice if that bill was on the outside of the package so it can be directly delivered to the recipient.
    mmh I never had problems with packages from the US. But if this idea helpes not having potential problems, I second this, too.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

If it's from before the Chief died or he somehow comes back, I will be a happier camper.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2012-02-22 at 12:32 PM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Not at all; as mentioned above, a pre-Order story is not the same as an ORIGIN story. I can do an entire story of Belkar being Belkar without ever explaining WHY he's like that, which is what I said I didn't want to do.
    I guess that's why I added "not to the same extent as some other people" - you could even do a story about the incident that landed him in jail to start Origins.

I suppose a story about a Belkar with free reign to do mayhem would sort of be like the "missing" Origins story.

98% of the internet has a Myspace. If you're one of the 2% who isn't an emo whiner, show solidarity by putting this in your sig.

Instead, I have a blog and web site: http://morganwick.com Tweeter: http://twitter.com/morganwick Webcomic (not really OOTS-related): http://morganwick.freehostia.com/webcomic

Official self-appointed former commentator for The Sticks Awards.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Oooh: I'm glad I'm not the only one generally happy about the PDF choices.

Kudos to those who chose (and managed to lunge in time).

Although... I'm slightly nervous about the Belkar one. For much the same reasons I'm not too keen to actually find out about MitD's actual species or V's biological sex. I like having an unresolved guess.

Now, my only question is... would it be OK to share my sketch (once I've actually decided what'll it'll be) with a TV Tropes OotS forum in a reduced digital format (watermark possible)? I'm thinking about letting them help me choose the characters (in thanks for many happy hours wasting time there).

There's no rush: I'm Patient.

EDIT: Whoa... Happy to be slightly ninja'd on a few things.
    Last edited by Euodiachloris; 2012-02-22 at 12:35 PM.
    '~:. F5 Camper With Muscle-Memory Issues .:~'

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

No, that will be up to the people who receive them. I've gotten indication that some of them will involve private jokes or references (because they're being given as gifts or whatever), so it would be an invasion of their privacy for me to post them online.
    Good point - I hadn't thought of it from that angle. Ah well, hopefully people will share on the forums if they're inclined to :)

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

I will also be releasing them as I finish them.
    *starts happy-dancing through the house* … what?

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg View Post
    Another topic: in Germany we have to pay import tax on goods from the US. If there is no bill on the outside of the package, it will be delivered to a customs office, which is just some bother (especially if the packages don't arrive all at the same time). If there is no bill at all, we have to present our own to the customs officer. The only thing we have is the confirmation mails with the whole amount pledged, which could be significantly higher than what the goods are actually worth (some rewards are mainly delivered electronically, too).

So, if possible, it would be nice if the people at Oookoodook who make the packages include a bill not about the amount pledged, but about the things delivered in the package. It would be extremely nice if that bill was on the outside of the package so it can be directly delivered to the recipient.
    Actually, that could make things easier (customs-wise) for everyone located in the European Union. Due to the EU being a customs union, the same customs rules (should) apply in every member state for imports from the US. Dealing with customs offices can be very frustrating, especially the delays and ridiculous import taxes and fees.
    So yeah, a bill on the package listing the things inside the package would be really cool.

(Seriously, over €60 import taxes and fees for an order that was less than €200? Are you kidding me, EU?)

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by honigmuffin View Post
    I don't think I've ever had to deal with that when getting stuff from America, but I could be wrong.

I'd better not have to pay ~£50 in fees on top of my pledge amount. That would be fairly irritating.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    I don't think I've ever had to deal with that when getting stuff from America, but I could be wrong.

I'd better not have to pay ~£50 in fees on top of my pledge amount. That would be fairly irritating.
    Well, to be fair, the order contained some T-shirts, and I think clothing is the main reason for such high taxes and fees. Seeing as there won't be any items of clothing in any of the reward packages, it might not be an issue at all. (Unless, of course, one considers the patch as an item of clothing. )

But then again, I'm not too keen on the customs office opening my packages to look inside and maybe losing/damaging something in the process of searching it :/

11. - Top - End - #71
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by I Participated View Post
    Damn you, Therkla-chooser! You've put Rich on the spot. Will her background tug at the heart strings even more? Or will Rich present a clearly evil background, turning future events (i.e. the core story) into a "happy ending"?
    What if I was happy with my head in the sand?
    This is Ring 0 all over again!!!!!!!!

I'll have to read it from behind the couch.
    This is why I chose her.
    Because there is an open endedness to her tale, on either side.
    She made some alignment altering decisions in her final moments and I'm curious how that would play out in her afterlife.
    OR
    Why was she the only female (and or demi-human) working for Kubota? Why was he mentoring her in Villainous Best Practices?
    OR
    Will a devil as a tombstone have some unexpected dramatic consequence?

Either way, I thought she was a strong character that had a far too brief moment to shine.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

12. - Top - End - #72

PirateWench

The backer literally requested "some sort of cop show parody starring the CPPD." So, yes.
    Cliff Street Blues. :)
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Skunk Todd View Post
    Cliff Street Blues. :)
    Law & Order: NPC Division

Spoiler
    Show
    DUN DUN!
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

I second (or third, or fourth, or whatever) the need for a receipt and note for customs.
    There are quite a few pledgers from Argentina, and it would be really good for us if there is a receipt with the items actual value, not the one from the pledge.
    Or since they are "prizes" or "gifts" for participating, it would be great if they could be labeled as such.

In short, we really need some sort of notice/receipt with the items actual value / or a receipt stating the items as gifts, so as to no have problems with customs.

Rich, if you are able to instruct Ookookdook to do so, it would help all your international followers.

Cheers
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Blackwing: I prefer to think of myself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur.

Forum Explorer: Reading or watching Cupcakes is like being shot. We honor your suffering but nobody wants it to happen.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WampaX View Post
    Either way, I thought she was a strong character that had a far too brief moment to shine.
    Second that.

I like the other picks too. The CPD is not one I would have come up with myself, but that makes it all the better. Pre-order Belkar is maybe the least unexpected choice, but he's an endless source of laughs, so, that's great too.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Euodiachloris View Post
    Phew!

My Amazon payment finally cleared. It only took -hours- to sort it out.

Silly Barclay's and your over-keen anti-fraud automated blockers. Worse Barclay's and your infuriating layers of voice-mail hell!

Throwing $345 at Rich was so totally authorised from the start!
    Glad to see it all worked out, Euo!

Guess that means you won't have to send your legions after those who deny you your precious, after all.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Therkla is an excellent choice for a bonus story, I'm looking forward to it Belkar is not the most exciting choice in my opinion though, simply because we already get to see so much of him in the main comic. Sure he's great, but I'd rather have more supporting characters fleshed out a bit. My personal choice would have been a story about Tarquin's conquests, but then again we'll probably get to see plenty of him in action in the main strip...
    "Sacrifing minions: is there any problem it CAN'T solve?"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

(me asking about deadline for deciding the content of Crayon drawing)

Trust me, you're not going to bother me if you take your time! I may ask as early as next week, but if you don't answer right away, I'll just work on other people's drawings until you do.
    Glad to hear that there is no rush on decision!

(Giant responding to a question about keeping/posting scans of Crayon drawings.)

No, that will be up to the people who receive them. I've gotten indication that some of them will involve private jokes or references (because they're being given as gifts or whatever), so it would be an invasion of their privacy for me to post them online.
    This is good to know as I was discarding options that had too much personal meaning as I was a bit uncomfortable about it being released into the wild. Not that I will definitely go that route but it is nice to know that a private option exists.

I think that I will create some sort of visual representation, say an option chart, to help me keep the byzantine complexities straight.

19. - Top - End - #79

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Law & Order: NPC Division

Spoiler
    Show
    DUN DUN!
    Miami Dice.
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    As requested through PM, I'm reposting the Big List O' Achievements.
    (Shale is responsible for alot of these names. Some liberty may have been taken with the rest)
    I also added a few more.

Wow, that's alot...
    That was seriously impressive....
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

biggrin Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

Quote Originally Posted by Seabyrn View Post
    One thing I was wondering about / hoping for regarding the crayon drawings: Is there any chance that you'd keep digital representations of them when they're done (scans or whatnot)? It might be extra work on your end (but hopefully not too much more), but it would be awesome to see them all collected in one place, whether here or in a future book.
    The Giant already answered that he can't do this, but on the KS chatroom (excuse me, in the KS comment-section ) we have come up with the plan of an "I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours" thread. Wich is to say, a thread for anyone who so chooses, to post their artwork in. Will be awesome! I know I'll be posting mine (even tho they're not OotS, but family/party drawings).

The thread isn't there now, but that is just because, ofcourse, neither are our works of art Just keep an eye out for it!

EDIT Wauw, super ninja-ed! No worries and I second @Euo (sorry, short name stuck with me): I'll only post here if the Giant approves ofcourse. But I would definitly also appreciate some help with the choosing
    Last edited by Idriël; 2012-02-22 at 01:33 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by honigmuffin View Post
    Well, to be fair, the order contained some T-shirts, and I think clothing is the main reason for such high taxes and fees. Seeing as there won't be any items of clothing in any of the reward packages, it might not be an issue at all. (Unless, of course, one considers the patch as an item of clothing. )

But then again, I'm not too keen on the customs office opening my packages to look inside and maybe losing/damaging something in the process of searching it :/
    Hmmm, I didn't have any problems with the Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails sending so I didn't even thought about such a thing. How did you solve the issuse with your sending? (Interested since I'm in Vienna too. Grüße by the way)
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

I have no objection to anyone sharing the images I draw for them. A thread for it sounds like a fantastic idea.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Just to clarify, since Rich owns the copyright to these crayon drawings.

We have Rich Burlew's permission to digitally copy any kickstarter crayon drawing and distribute them online for non commecial use as long as Rich is properly credited and we don't alter the image, if we, the backer, so choose.

In other words, a CC-BY-NC-ND license?
    Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs
    CC BY-NC-ND

This license is the most restrictive of our six main licenses, only allowing others to download your works and share them with others as long as they credit you, but they can’t change them in any way or use them commercially.
    I imagine selling digital copies of the work is out of the question. Or printing t-shirts and selling them.

Edit: Ninja Rich.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2012-02-22 at 01:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forbiddenwar View Post
    Just to clarify, since Rich owns the copyright to these crayon drawings.

We have Rich Burlew's permission to digitally copy any kickstarter crayon drawing and distribute them online for non commecial use as long as Rich is properly credited and we don't alter the image, if we, the backer, so choose.

In other words, a CC-BY-NC-ND license?

I imagine selling digital copies of the work is out of the question.
    I have no objection to anyone sharing the images I draw for them. A thread for it sounds like a fantastic idea.
    Such masterful ninja-ing is a rare and beautiful thing.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by I Participated View Post
    *basks in afterglow as instructed*
    You made it! And I LOVE your autograph. Still have to figure out how to make one myself... but when I do, I might be inclined to 'borrow' from you

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Idriël View Post
    You made it! And I LOVE your autograph. Still have to figure out how to make one myself... but when I do, I might be inclined to 'borrow' from you
    At the top, under the directory "Giant in the Playground>Comics> The Order of the stick" You will find a link called User CP (Stands for control panel) From there go to signatures. Type in what you want (add any links or pics too) and save it.

[roll]1d20+3[/roll] Do I see ninjas?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WampaX View Post
    *nod solemnly*

We've got the basis for a mix of story types: stabbity-laughs (Belkar); deepening of the universe (Therkla); and sumthin a little different (The nose-imagining artist. The cops.)

Uneducational laughs from Therkla and romantic drama from Belkar? Nahhhhh.
    Last edited by I Participated; 2012-02-22 at 02:01 PM. Reason: spleling
    I participated... and I broke it!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xapi View Post
    Great choices. Therkla is not the most interesting character for me, but I love the CPD and you can't go wrong with Belkar.
    I agree. Therkla is a very well-drawn (in the metaphorical sense) character, but not one of the most fun IMO. I'm sure it'll be good, though, and I'm in no position to complain! I wonder if the CPPD story will be before or after their appearance in the main comic? I might like to see more of Rookie being in charge, but then Chief is also great. Maybe they'll raise Chief!

I will also be releasing them as I finish them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Idriël View Post
    @Euo (sorry, short name stuck with me): I'll only post here if the Giant approves ofcourse. But I would definitly also appreciate some help with the choosing
    It's quite OK for anybody to cut me down to Euo, Euodia, Chloris or even Xurina (Second Life 'surname'). Especially you Mari... I mean, Idriël.

As mentioned in a chatroo... comments thread elsewhere: this dryad doesn't mind one bit having her name trimmed.

And, as with Idriël, ideas for the sketch are always welcome.

--This service announcement was solely made to help reduce carpal tunnel syndrome for reasons other than F5 bashing.--
    '~:. F5 Camper With Muscle-Memory Issues .:~'