New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

Quote Originally Posted by Idriël View Post
    The Giant already answered that he can't do this, but on the KS chatroom (excuse me, in the KS comment-section ) we have come up with the plan of an "I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours" thread. Wich is to say, a thread for anyone who so chooses, to post their artwork in. Will be awesome! I know I'll be posting mine (even tho they're not OotS, but family/party drawings).

The thread isn't there now, but that is just because, ofcourse, neither are our works of art Just keep an eye out for it!

EDIT Wauw, super ninja-ed! No worries and I second @Euo (sorry, short name stuck with me): I'll only post here if the Giant approves ofcourse. But I would definitly also appreciate some help with the choosing
    A very neat idea. And I might well be open to suggestions, too. Even though this is a Patience pledge for me, and since I'm am a patient person, this gives me plenty of time to find an idea on my own

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty View Post
    Do we really want to know why Belkar is so psychotic?'
    I thought it was clear that it was his low Wisdom score? The one time V cast Owl's Wisdom his personality instantly turned around.

Of course, that could all be Rule of Funny, but it is the only insight we do have for why he is what he is.

Belkar's backstory could be awesome. Interesting to see what he'll be like (albeit a lower-level version of him) without Roy to keep him in check. The Deva already showed that he was projected to be a one-man Army of Darkness if Roy hadn't intervened, so he would have had to do some pretty dark deeds to be on Heaven's scope like that.

I'm really looking forward to the Cliffport PD one. Would never have suggested them, but it could be a fun little comic relief. It was funny watching the CPPD play every TV/Movie police cliche to the hilt in a fantasy setting, I'm sure a few more pages of good gags can be had.

I was kinda hoping Tsukiko would be one of the three, but I didn't have the big bucks to lay down, so it wasn't my call. Just figured she might have an interesting backstory as to how she got so mentally/emotionally messed up.

Also really looking forward to the printout minis. OotS-style tabletop sounds fun, especially for a lighthearted game of D&D, like a constant reminder on the game table to chill out and it's just a casual game.

Well, I participated, put in my $10 and am patiently but anxiously awaiting my .pdf's of new OotS goodness (and Roy magnet). Would have laid down a lot more, if I had it. Hopefully I can afford to get the books another time.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cirin View Post
    I was kinda hoping Tsukiko would be one of the three, but I didn't have the big bucks to lay down, so it wasn't my call. Just figured she might have an interesting backstory as to how she got so mentally/emotionally messed up.
    Seconded. Oh well.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zar Peter View Post
    Hmmm, I didn't have any problems with the Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails sending so I didn't even thought about such a thing. How did you solve the issuse with your sending? (Interested since I'm in Vienna too. Grüße by the way)
    The Ookoodook package wasn't a problem (if I recall correctly, it had a sticker on the outside declaring it contained books D, -1 and 0).
    The two Cafepress orders I placed so far weren't a problem either, although both of them had one t-shirt, and both of them had stickers with the contents on them.
    I don't know why, but it was never the OotS stuff that made the customs office curious. Maybe it's because the content was declared on the outside of the package, maybe it's because both Cafepress orders were envelopes about the size of half an OotS book, maybe it's because the Cafepress orders had only one t-shirt each, maybe it's because the value wasn't over € XX on any of the orders, maybe it's a combination of all of the above.

The big order with the obscene import taxes and fees wasn't anything OotS-related and had about five t-shirts among a bunch of other things, and the list of ordered items was inside the big carton the order came in.
    I had no idea that the customs office had looked into it until the package got here near the end of the estimated time of arrival (which spanned more than two weeks, so yeah, not that much of a delay, although I wonder how much sooner it might have gotten here otherwise). The list of contents right on top of everything else had a check mark next to each item and the carton was resealed. An envelope with the taxes and fees was taped to the outside of the carton. It's been a while, so I don't recall if the delivery guy collected the extra money or if it was charged directly to the credit card with the money for the order itself, and I don't feel like searching for the paperwork right now

(Sorry for the long response, und servus zurück )
    Last edited by honigmuffin; 2012-02-22 at 02:43 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cirin View Post
    I thought it was clear that it was his low Wisdom score? The one time V cast Owl's Wisdom his personality instantly turned around.

Of course, that could all be Rule of Funny, but it is the only insight we do have for why he is what he is.
    That was very early on and a joke. I wouldn't take it as proof of anything regarding "why". Especially since "Because he has a low wisdom score, that's why!" is a very, very lazy answer. That's like answering "Why is the sky blue?" with "Because it's blue!". His ability scores reflect who he is, but the idea that these are set at birth and can never be changed causes quite a few problems with the setting and free will in general.

My point being, while the wisdom score is a reflection of his personality, it is not the reason for his personality. It's simply a correlation, not a causation.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Congratulations, Rich, and Yay! Us! for being a community that supports independent art!

There's a comment on the Kickstarter site saying that you might be needing some volunteer help with the package logistics. The hubster & I live in the land of Not-Terribly-Far-Away and could volunteer a weekend or two of mindless dronery, if it would help. How do we sign up?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Wick View Post
    I'm just glad no one picked something like GwaH.
    Sorry, who's GwaH?

8. - Top - End - #98

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Trust me, you're not going to bother me if you take your time! I may ask as early as next week, but if you don't answer right away, I'll just work on other people's drawings until you do.
    Good, because I need to re-read the entire book series before deciding on characters. I have a dozen favorite characters and there are so many to choose from!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No, it would be an invasion of their privacy for me to post them online.
    Oooh... I didn't know we had the option for that kind of character interaction! Now I really need to go back to the drawing board!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

imho it would be wonderful to see a Therkla post-death story, dealing with her finally finding peace (and perhaps love) in the afterlife
    she'd deserve it
    random hum :)

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffnoy View Post
    Sorry, who's GwaH?
    Guy With a Halberd.

Don't ask.

*sees people will want to know anyway*

OK, I'll explain it a little more. It's a long standing forum in-joke from the above thread and said poster's.... dedication to That Guy With A Halberd. As I understand it, the Cult of the GwaH has even escaped this board and been referenced elsewhere, including TV Tropes.

So if a bunch of forumitites had pooled money together, it might have actually happened.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-02-22 at 03:03 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

11. - Top - End - #101
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WampaX View Post
    This is why I chose her.
    Because there is an open endedness to her tale, on either side.
    She made some alignment altering decisions in her final moments and I'm curious how that would play out in her afterlife.
    OR
    Why was she the only female (and or demi-human) working for Kubota? Why was he mentoring her in Villainous Best Practices?
    OR
    Will a devil as a tombstone have some unexpected dramatic consequence?

Either way, I thought she was a strong character that had a far too brief moment to shine.
    Glad you picked her. Just wondering if you requested pre-story or afterlife, or if you left it up to Rich entirely?

I didn't manage to snag a story, but I really wanted to know how her final choices affected her in the afterlife too. So for my crayon drawing I was planning to ask Rich if it would be possible to get a drawing of Therkla in the afterlife, wherever that may be and with whomever may be there.

However, if you are already getting the afterlife story, then I will probably choose something else entirely.
    Thanks to Castaras for the avatar!

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffnoy View Post
    Sorry, who's GwaH?
    The Guy with a Halberd from comic 432. Running gag among some of the forumites here to get him a recurring role.
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    Ah. I thought "Goblin with a Hydra" ^^, but I was just guessing anyway.
    ------------------------------------------
    '~-. F5 Camper: Muscle-memory issues. .-~'

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTW View Post
    My point being, while the wisdom score is a reflection of his personality, it is not the reason for his personality. It's simply a correlation, not a causation.
    Yes, quite. Roy isn't intelligent because he has a high Int, he's smart because he has intelligent parents (well, his father at least; we don't know about Sarah) and he got a good education. His high Int just represents that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #105

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by JungleJenny View Post
    There's a comment on the Kickstarter site saying that you might be needing some volunteer help with the package logistics. The hubster & I live in the land of Not-Terribly-Far-Away and could volunteer a weekend or two of mindless dronery, if it would help. How do we sign up?
    Same here.
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JungleJenny View Post
    Congratulations, Rich, and Yay! Us! for being a community that supports independent art!

JungleJenny - where did you see this comment? I'd be willing to lend a hand, too, and don't live far away. If anything does get going on this front, I'd love it to know more details.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kilrathi View Post
    JungleJenny - where did you see this comment? I'd be willing to lend a hand, too, and don't live far away. If anything does get going on this front, I'd love it to know more details.
    @Kilrathi It's plainly there, in between the other 17.000 comments

Don't worry about missing it, I think I missed half of it, even by taking my eyes of the screen for a minute to check on dinner (which burned anyway). It was simply madness on that comment board system....

But this was not (at least, not the one I spotted) a suggestion by the giant, just one made for him

18. - Top - End - #108
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SweetBB View Post
    Glad you picked her. Just wondering if you requested pre-story or afterlife, or if you left it up to Rich entirely?

I didn't manage to snag a story, but I really wanted to know how her final choices affected her in the afterlife too. So for my crayon drawing I was planning to ask Rich if it would be possible to get a drawing of Therkla in the afterlife, wherever that may be and with whomever may be there.

However, if you are already getting the afterlife story, then I will probably choose something else entirely.
    I did not request WHAT part of her life he should cover, just a general plee for more kick-ass half-orc ninja girl!
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTW View Post
    That was very early on and a joke. I wouldn't take it as proof of anything regarding "why".
    So was Haley's Dad being held hostage being a very early on explanation for why she was so greedy, and that's become a major plot thread.

Yeah, there are probably character-related reasons and not "just" a low Wis, but whatever those choices/reasons are, they seem directly tied to his low Wisdom.

You can be evil and have a high wisdom (Evil Clerics for example), or you can just be impulsive, selfish and easily tempted (all signs of low Wisdom), that lead to an evil alignment.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Pixie in the Playground

OotS-Con #1
    "Come and pack some packages"

21. - Top - End - #111
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

All of the non-sig shipping will be going out of Ookoodook . . . in Texas.
    Which has a staff for this sort of thing and will in all likelihood hire/enslave some temps to help stuff boxes and envelopes.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

This is why I chose her.
    Because there is an open endedness to her tale, on either side.
    She made some alignment altering decisions in her final moments and I'm curious how that would play out in her afterlife.
    OR
    Why was she the only female (and or demi-human) working for Kubota? Why was he mentoring her in Villainous Best Practices?
    OR
    Will a devil as a tombstone have some unexpected dramatic consequence?

Either way, I thought she was a strong character that had a far too brief moment to shine.
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetBB View Post

Now I am twice as glad that WampaX grabbed that prize before I could change my mind back on day 2. Since my first choice would probably have been rejected by Rich anyway and Therkla would have been my second. But now SweetBB has me wondering if an origin or afterlife story is better?

Oh well, I'll just have to find out with everyone else. I am one of the ones who does plan to post thier drawing when I get it but I also plan to let Rich know that there is no rush on mine. I won't see in person for months so my sister will need to scan it and email it to me.
    "One useless man is called a disgrace, two are called a law firm and three or more become a congress."
    John Adams (lawyer, congressman, 2nd President of the USA)
    I participated!
    Typical of a non-spellcaster to think so linearly............But it's a line.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Peshk I just read your sig. Love it! So many of us corrupted...

24. - Top - End - #114

PirateWench

It's under the comments for the 28th update. A sponsor named John Landrith calculates that Rich will need help packaging and mailing all of the pledge rewards, although now that I've read it I'm not sure how accurate it is.

I suspect Rich can afford to hire people to help with the mailing if need be. Still, I reckon a good number of the people who pledged (ie everyone in North America plus everybody who could scrape together enough for a plane ticket) would be willing to travel to Philly to help out. On the plus side it would save a lot in shipping costs (since I, and everybody else, could pick up our own package) on the down side there would be a big cost in Rich having to buy everybody a cheese steak for lunch. :)
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by honigmuffin View Post
    I don't know why, but it was never the OotS stuff that made the customs office curious. Maybe it's because the content was declared on the outside of the package, maybe it's because both Cafepress orders were envelopes about the size of half an OotS book, maybe it's because the Cafepress orders had only one t-shirt each, maybe it's because the value wasn't over € XX on any of the orders, maybe it's a combination of all of the above.
    Probably the first. In Germany, the post pays the import taxes for you and charges you in turn if the content is declared on the outside. Probably it's the same in Austria. I had to go to the customs office for my last two ookoodook packages because there wasn't anything on the outside.
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zankana View Post
    Peshk I just read your sig. Love it! So many of us corrupted...
    Thx. I stole it. With permission. Because Euo thought of it because I said something. Or at least that is what I understood as I asked for permission to use it.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by peshk View Post
    Thx. I stole it. With permission. Because Euo thought of it because I said something. Or at least that is what I understood as I asked for permission to use it.
    Well I don't seem to have f5 issues... i keep hitting ⌘R. I do remember you commenting on even hitting f5 while reading the comic to see if a new one was up lol

28. - Top - End - #118
    Halfling in the Playground

I did not request WHAT part of her life he should cover, just a general plee for more kick-ass half-orc ninja girl!
    Lol. Well then, I guess I'll stick with my original plan. Even if Rich covers the afterlife with your PDF, it would still be awesome to have it immortalized in a crayon drawing!

Quote Originally Posted by Skavensrule View Post
    Oh well, I'll just have to find out with everyone else. I am one of the ones who does plan to post thier drawing when I get it but I also plan to let Rich know that there is no rush on mine. I won't see in person for months so my sister will need to scan it and email it to me.
    I'm planning to post mine online too.
    Thanks to Castaras for the avatar!

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zankana View Post
    Well I don't seem to have f5 issues... i keep hitting ⌘R. I do remember you commenting on even hitting f5 while reading the comic to see if a new one was up lol
    Holy quintuple posting, Batman!
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

30. - Top - End - #120
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by One Skunk Todd View Post
    It's under the comments for the 28th update. A sponsor named John Landrith calculates that Rich will need help packaging and mailing all of the pledge rewards, although now that I've read it I'm not sure how accurate it is.

I suspect Rich can afford to hire people to help with the mailing if need be. Still, I reckon a good number of the people who pledged (ie everyone in North America plus everybody who could scrape together enough for a plane ticket) would be willing to travel to Philly to help out. On the plus side it would save a lot in shipping costs (since I, and everybody else, could pick up our own package) on the down side there would be a big cost in Rich having to buy everybody a cheese steak for lunch. :)
    It's completely wrong. Rich is not doing the packaging and mailing, Ookoodook is. The only packages Rich is mailing personally are the ones he's signing. I count about 500 of those due by May, plus a bunch of Patience packages he can do at his leisure.

Also, I'm sure Rich would appreciate not getting unsolicited offers of help from people he doesn't know, even if they are fans. If he needs help, he'll ask for it himself.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club