New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 67 FirstFirst ... 25404142434445464748495051525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1989
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

I heard there's sometimes a doodle along with the signature, was that the case? (I already had the books, so I just got the $25 package)
    !

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Yep, an OotS character with every signature.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I got Roy with mine, along with the text 1/13--which I assume is a date, rather than something indicating I got 1 out of 13 Roys?

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I got Roy with mine, along with the text 1/13--which I assume is a date, rather than something indicating I got 1 out of 13 Roys?
    Yes, the month and year appear, so in your case January 2013.

5. - Top - End - #1475

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    Yep, an OotS character with every signature.
    Dang, wish I'd had the funding for more. Totally would've gotten a SSaDT or SoD signed. Any chance there's a picture of one floating around these parts?
    !

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ted The Bug View Post
    Dang, wish I'd had the funding for more. Totally would've gotten a SSaDT or SoD signed. Any chance there's a picture of one floating around these parts?
    Here's the Thog from my War & XPs

Spoiler
    Show
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

7. - Top - End - #1477

DwarfFighterGuy

I got Elan in NCfBP and Belkar in WaXP.

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Pixie in the Playground

Sorry if this has been asked before, but will there be a place that we can buy the bonus PDFs etc. if we arrived late to the OOTS and couldn't contribute?

9. - Top - End - #1479

BlackDragon

It's been suggested that they might be bound into a book K at some point in the future, but I wouldn't hold your breath for that--the Giant's thumb injury last year put a major spanner in the works, which is why we didn't get the Belkar PDF until relatively recently. He certainly can't think about producing a book of that material until it's all been provided to Kickstarter backers.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TLhikan View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but will there be a place that we can buy the bonus PDFs etc. if we arrived late to the OOTS and couldn't contribute?
    The most recent official comment on this topic I remember was right after the Kickstarter finished:

Quote Originally Posted by Kickstarter Update 29, Feb 24, 2012
    Now, in an attempt to get one of the most frequently asked questions out of the way: if you missed the pledge drive deadline, no, you can't pledge now. I'm sorry about that, but I don't have the means to take your pledge and include it in the Kickstarter system—and even if I could, I'm not sure it would be fair to the people who may have struggled to get their pledge in on time.
    All of the books will be available on Ookoodook once they are reprinted, so you can still order them then. If you're desperate for the swag, we will be putting whatever we have leftover once we fulfill all the orders up on Ookoodook, so keep an eye out for any leftover stickers, notepads, and coloring books over the summer. But the patches are not going to be available to non-backers at all; we may have a way for backers to buy extras if we have any left over, but that's it.
    As far as the PDF stories, I'm sure most of them will be available in print at some point, even if they are spread out over a few different books.

Short:
    PDFs: Someday - hopefully - in book-form (go, Book K!). I haven't heard a comment about whether it will be possible to buy them in pdf-form.

ETC.: You can buy some at Ookoodook
    Last edited by ChristianSt; 2013-05-17 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Edited to add singature

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

11. - Top - End - #1481

DwarfFighterGuy

I'm pretty sure Rich has said he's not really comfortable with the PDF model because it's not secure. In any case, I like to be able to hold things when I'm reading them.

12. - Top - End - #1482
    Bugbear in the Playground

Actually:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    • These stories will be available in print someday for everyone else who didn't back, so if you don't have them now and you think you're likely to buy the book in which they appear...don't read any further!
    So you will be able to read the bonus stories eventually - when they come out in book form. However the Giant has also posted (on Reddit) that he does not intend to make any of the printed material generally available in digital format (even for sale), and I assume he intends the same for these stories - ie. for the PDFs to remain exclusive to backers. He gives detailed reasons for not selling PDFs on his reddit page here. (This is reddit so there is one political comment and a swear word there which you won't find on giantitp.com.)
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Ogre in the Playground

I know what the Giant has said about selling PDFs (though I haven't heard anything about security issues in this regard).

But since these exists already in this form (and a large(?) chunk of people (already/will) have them), I think it is possible that enough parameters have changed to make an exception in this case (and opinions can change). [For the record: I also like books, I would instantly buy a book K - but I'm not such a big fan of exclusive stuff, so I would like if anybody would be able to buy the PDFs]

But the only one that can tell us that is the Giant himself, speculating about it doesn't do really that much. (So for now I would say: I wouldn't plan on it, but as with many things, nothing is set in stone)
    Last edited by ChristianSt; 2013-05-17 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Edited to add singature

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

14. - Top - End - #1484

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    I know what the Giant has said about selling PDFs (though I haven't heard anything about security issues in this regard).

But since these exists already in this form (and a large(?) chunk of people (already/will) have them), I think it is possible that enough parameters have changed to make an exception in this case (and opinions can change). [For the record: I also like books, I would instantly buy a book K - but I'm not such a big fan of exclusive stuff, so I would like if anybody would be able to buy the PDFs]

But the only one that can tell us that is the Giant himself, speculating about it doesn't do really that much. (So for now I would say: I wouldn't plan on it, but as with many things, nothing is set in stone)
    the only risk of the exclusive pdfs is if someone contributed for the sole reason of copying and reselling the pdfs, or if someone later became inclined to do so.

If they where online for anyone to buy you just need one professional scammer to hear about it and you are -Guaranteed- to have it pirated. And judging by how many people download DnD books it would probably be fully capable of killing the selling of the books (as opposed to the notion of a rock star losing enough money that he has to sell one of his jets).

Cynical side of me aside, I can honestly say that i think everyone who Did contribute and watches their emails enough to get the stories appreciates it enough to not do that.
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post

Short:
    PDFs: Someday - hopefully - in book-form (go, Book K!). I haven't heard a comment about whether it will be possible to buy them in pdf-form.
    That works for me; I would actually rather have them in book form anyway. Thanks for the answer .

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cerlis View Post
    the only risk of the exclusive pdfs is if someone contributed for the sole reason of copying and reselling the pdfs, or if someone later became inclined to do so.

If they where online for anyone to buy you just need one professional scammer to hear about it and you are -Guaranteed- to have it pirated. And judging by how many people download DnD books it would probably be fully capable of killing the selling of the books (as opposed to the notion of a rock star losing enough money that he has to sell one of his jets).

Cynical side of me aside, I can honestly say that i think everyone who Did contribute and watches their emails enough to get the stories appreciates it enough to not do that.
    The problem with this argument is: Anti-pirating stuff isn't really going to work. There is enough products with DRM* of all kinds that still gets pirated nevertheless (and being exclusive online doesn't help either, there is more than enough stuff pirated that isn't regularly available online). I think everybody would be much better by just putting their resources in something useful and stop worrying about pirates instead of trying to enforce DRM that doesn't do anything useful at all (and sometimes even causes real trouble). [Although I can't say for sure that the bonus-PDFs will be pirated, I wouldn't be really surprised if they will]

*I know that the Bonus story don't have any kind of DRM (which is good!). But I think DRM is bad enough (and close enough to the pirate topic), that ranting about it doesn't hurt.

Rich's Argument on the other hand is perfectly reasonably: I can't judge whether an online-version of the books would cripple the paper-sales, BUT I can understand that this could happen (and before risking to have no paper-books, I find it much better to have no online-books - maybe in the future it could be worth to try it, and I think this already somewhat-available-online content could be the right time to try it).
    Last edited by ChristianSt; 2013-05-17 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Edited to add singature

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Procyonpi View Post
    I'm pretty sure Rich has said he's not really comfortable with the PDF model because it's not secure. In any case, I like to be able to hold things when I'm reading them.
    Rich has given his reasons for disliking digital PDF downloads, and his business model is not up for discussion here.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant View Post
    Suffice to say, digital pdf downloads are not in the works at this time. My concerns are not piracy; the majority of people who are not willing to pay for content simply don't read the stuff that doesn't get posted here, and the rest, I can't stop. No, my concern is that printing is a very difficult business with very, VERY thin margins of profit compared to the amount of money invested. And those margins are mostly dictated by the economy of scale: printing 5000 copies of a book may only cost 30% less than printing 10,000, and printing 20,000 may only cost 60% more. But they all sell for the same price. So, my printing business only functions if I can sell ALL of the copies that I print, and I estimate the print run as exactly as possible.

Releasing books digitally messes with both of those needs. I can't predict how many people will buy digitally (polls are worthless), and I can't sell a paper copy to someone who has bought a digital one. If half of my predicted customers buy digital instead of paper, then the cost of each paper copy skyrockets and I can't afford to print them anymore. And contrary to what people think, not everyone wants to buy digital.

In the end, I want my books to be, well, BOOKS. I am therefore willing to sacrifice the few digital sales (and I do believe them to be relatively few, since my work is online already anyway) in order to keep my paper business in business.

Now, having answered that: This thread is not about my business model. I am not looking for business advice, and I'm not keen on people tell me I'm doing something wrong just because I'm not doing what they want me to do. Stop it.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    Rich has given his reasons for disliking digital PDF downloads, and his business model is not up for discussion here.
    Sheriff: Well-said. Let's drop that particular part of the conversation now.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-04-04 at 02:21 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I wonder how the rest of the rewards are going. I mean it's spring again so perfect time for summer/autumn mini's in a short time. I can't wait.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

Lewis Carroll

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm... We're at 50 pages. Do we start a new Strip 882 thread?
    Thanks to Ceika (X2), Yeril, Holammer and Dr. Bath for the Avatars!
    New Avatar, new form of self-destruction! Ceika is Beyond Awesome!

21. - Top - End - #1491

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc View Post
    Hmm... We're at 50 pages. Do we start a new Strip 882 thread?
    Not sure how that would help, considering this is the post-Kickstarter discussion thread...

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Banned

Daemon

Is the Kickstarter still happening? We haven't had an update for over 6 weeks, haven't heard how the thumb's doing after 5 weeks and haven't recieved any commentary on it's progress since Early March (end of the 9 in a row). Does anyone have any knowledge of it still running (autographed packages dated 3/13, stick it to you's, crayon drawings)

I assume Rich is focusing on the comic as we have had two double pagers and got a new comic last week but I would like to know.

I'm not angry, it is a query.

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Is the Kickstarter still happening?...

I'm not angry, it is a query.
    Yes.

I'm not angry either, but this question strikes me as needlessly provocative. As asked, this question suggests that one possible answer is that Kickstarter fulfillment is not happening any more and been abandoned somehow. Perhaps you meant "has anyone received anything lately?" or something similar that doesn't imply Rich has closed shop.

Sheriff: Please let's not have any more comments like that, well-meaning or otherwise.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Perhaps you meant "has anyone received anything lately?" or something similar that doesn't imply Rich has closed shop.
    I did. That is better wording. Thank you.

25. - Top - End - #1495
    Titan in the Playground

Y'know, I was just looking over my new druid character (first session is this Friday), and thinking, hm, he could really put a lot of creatures on the battlefield, between his animal companion and summons. I could just borrow miniatures from my gaming buddies, but they never have quite the right ones, and using a krenshaw for a dire badger just isn't satisfying.

But then I said to myself, wait, what about that PDF of monster minis I got from the OotS kickstarter?

Thanks, Giant! These are perfect for a druid! It's really fortuitous that the first batch was the one with all the woodland critters and fey, straight off the Summon Nature's Ally lists. I'm sure to be the envy of my table with these!
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I should also add that the male dwarf druid in the set looks exactly like my mental image of my character. Well, exactly like a Stickified version of my character, at least.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

27. - Top - End - #1497

DwarfFighterGuy

I should confess that I've never played DnD with actually miniatures, just coins and bottlecaps.

28. - Top - End - #1498
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Is the Kickstarter still happening? We haven't had an update for over 6 weeks, haven't heard how the thumb's doing after 5 weeks and haven't recieved any commentary on it's progress since Early March (end of the 9 in a row).
    Simple answer. 'Yes'. I take any quiet time as good news because it means he's busy doing other stuff - like Backer Choice pdfs, or taking a break and letting ideas percolate. Like you I'm still waiting, but I appreciate that great work takes time and that stuff which benefits the most people should come first.

It will be a pleasant surprise when my stuff does turn up - so I'm not worried - I trust Rich.

Also, I personally cant think of anything worse than having a million dollars worth of stuff I'm committed to delivering and being constrained from delivering them (by Sir Thumb's defeat). Give Rich a break.

29. - Top - End - #1499

On the comments page for our Kickstarter, someone has reported receiving their Stick It To You digital package.

(Edit: I only just noticed - after reading the comment a few times - that they used the digital portrait as their Kickstarter avatar. Yay!)

I hope some people will show theirs here! Although I guess I'm really hanging out for people to post their crayon drawings (which are less likely to include real people), and I'm guessing Rich hasn't started on those yet.

Plus, I'd love to know where the $750 "Wink, Wink" donations went/are going.
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2013-04-21 at 01:56 AM.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

30. - Top - End - #1500
    Ogre in the Playground

I wonder how it would work for them, legally, actually. I mean, I would love to see the digital and crayon drawings that were sent specifically to one person, but I wonder, is it considered "theirs" so they can show it online to anyone they want, or is it Rich's, since he's the artist after all, and if so is his permission needed to share it with so many people at once? I don't know how copyrights and trademarks work with commissions and original art...