New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 631464748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 1989
  1. - Top - End - #1651
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

Quote Originally Posted by One Step Two View Post
    I love the mini's, also, Raistlin Majere got a cameo too, squee!
    That's not Raistlin! His eyes are normal shaped, not hourglass shaped!

I loved the Lizardfolk Human-Wrestler, the Tortle Ninja and the Psionic Dolphin from "Dark Sun"!

Rich, congratulations, again, on ten years of "Order of the Stick"!

2. - Top - End - #1652
    Ogre in the Playground

I loved the fire and the water effects. I stayed staring at the water for a long time wondering how many layers were involved. It's hard to figure out because I assume there is also transparency involved as well.

Then I had to check how the lineart looked, since I wasn't sure how that was going to translate. Turns out they both look good, but quite different.

If I had to pick a single character, I found the warforged wizard with a fake beard quite funny. I can see my husband playing that kind of character.

3. - Top - End - #1653
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomorrowboy View Post
    These monster minis are super awesome!

But looking at the list of things still to be done I feel kind of bad that we've gotten two sets of these while people are still waiting on crayon drawings and the like.

I'd be happy getting one of the Monster for Every Season PDFs a year (aim for Halloween next year!) and for those people to get the stuff they ordered sooner.
    I don't want to speak for Rich - but I'd guess there's no real way to turn one into the other.

Making one typical new monster for AMFES (after you do the whole 'spend 10-20 years practicing your art' bit) is probably 15-30 minutes, and only requires his tablet. That's the sort of thing you can do while waiting at the doctor's office, or on the bus, or while you're on hold with the cable company. Add up lots of these little breaks and you still end up with an awesome collection, but no single piece requires a lot of time and focus.

Making a whole new crayon drawing, though, probably requires source material, crayons, good paper, a desk and good lighting, and time - the sort of thing that really requires you to block off an afternoon to focus on. I'd guess the remaining big projects like that are competing more with the continued updates to the comic and to the other big stuff on the workometer than with AMFES.

4. - Top - End - #1654
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The minis are really beautifully done, and all the little jokes hidden throughout make them even better. I can't believe on my first look-through, I missed the acid shark.

5. - Top - End - #1655
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

My favorite bit was the Monstrous Crabs. I'd have been satisfied by just drawing the same crab five times and changing its size, but no, Rich drew five completely different crab designs, all of which looked pretty dang sweet. It even makes a lot of sense; a jumping spider looks very different from a tarantula, so why wouldn't a Small crab look very different from a Gargantuan one? They're even about the right scale to each other, with the tiny hermit and fiddler crabs and the enormous Dungeness crab, with the only exception being the spider crab-looking Large crab, which is about the size of real-life giant spider crabs.

Plus, it's a tacit suggestion to use That Damn Crab.

6. - Top - End - #1656
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mardoc View Post
    I don't want to speak for Rich - but I'd guess there's no real way to turn one into the other.
    The Kickstarter update that announced the new set was available says:

"These sets are an enormous amount of work and tend to absorb all of my time once I start so I think I should finish one or two other things before diving back in."

7. - Top - End - #1657
    Ogre in the Playground

Even though I have no decent story-reason for it, I suddenly want an in-comic journey to a fire plane really badly.

8. - Top - End - #1658
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think one of the crabs (large?) looks like it has that little abdomen tail piece that some crabs have and stick into shells (Ex: Hermit crabs). was a nice touch.

And i could rave bout individual monsters, but I think just the best thing in general is that there are custom unique monsters and details

---------------
    Wonder what the best class for a Human-wrestler is. With the BAB, a Human hunting ranger with Imp grapple might be enough. as that would fit with the rest of the....style.
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

9. - Top - End - #1659
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mardoc View Post

Making one typical new monster for AMFES (after you do the whole 'spend 10-20 years practicing your art' bit) is probably 15-30 minutes, and only requires his tablet. That's the sort of thing you can do while waiting at the doctor's office, or on the bus, or while you're on hold with the cable company. Add up lots of these little breaks and you still end up with an awesome collection, but no single piece requires a lot of time and focus.

Making a whole new crayon drawing, though, probably requires source material, crayons, good paper, a desk and good lighting, and time - the sort of thing that really requires you to block off an afternoon to focus on. I'd guess the remaining big projects like that are competing more with the continued updates to the comic and to the other big stuff on the workometer than with AMFES.
    This is mostly true (I don't really work anywhere but in my office, but it is much easier to squeeze a monster in here and there between other work), but it goes further than that.

One of the things that has changed since I got hurt is that I draw on the computer at much larger screen magnifications than I used to. Making big motions is mostly in the wrist and elbow, but making tiny motions is more in the fingers and thumb, so if I can work larger I can direct strain away from the parts that were injured. I have a pretty big monitor so I just blow the panel (or monster template) up to fill the whole screen before starting.

But I can't change the magnification level of reality; if I need to draw something small in a crayon drawing, I just have to push through. So that means the crayon drawings are going to be a LOT harder on me than drawing in Illustrator is. That's the main reason I've been putting it off (and the fact that the crayons are thin and hard to grip properly). Still, I hope to get back to them in the not-too-distant future.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

10. - Top - End - #1660
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But I can't change the magnification level of reality; if I need to draw something small in a crayon drawing, I just have to push through. So that means the crayon drawings are going to be a LOT harder on me than drawing in Illustrator is. That's the main reason I've been putting it off (and the fact that the crayons are thin and hard to grip properly). Still, I hope to get back to them in the not-too-distant future.
    Sad to hear it's still not 100%(probably quite high though). Please don't hurt yourself really bad in a couple years time when you do another Crayon Drawing info-dump in the comic.

11. - Top - End - #1661
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

"100%" has not been on the table for a while. It's fully healed, in the sense that there's no healing left to do. But there's nerve damage that can't ever be fixed and a lot of scar tissue around the knuckle making it difficult to bend. And it swells further if I work too much—and the doctor's response to that was, "Don't work that much." Gee, thanks.

The goal right now is to get better at drawing with it the way it is, because it's not going to get any better. That's why I've been developing tricks like working larger onscreen.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

12. - Top - End - #1662
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Good luck with the hand Giant, and off course congrats on the 10 year anniversary.

It's strange but I almost feel sad for the ending of the OOTS comic, on the other hand, than we finally would know what happens. Bittersweet things to think about.
    “Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

Lewis Carroll

13. - Top - End - #1663
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

But I can't change the magnification level of reality; if I need to draw something small in a crayon drawing, I just have to push through. So that means the crayon drawings are going to be a LOT harder on me than drawing in Illustrator is.
    Is there no way you can draw in the crayon style while still using Illustrator? Or would that not really fix the problem in any case?

14. - Top - End - #1664
    Titan in the Playground

I know I'm not the only one, but how many besides me are reminded of Johnny Mnemonic by the psionic dolphin?

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Is there no way you can draw in the crayon style while still using Illustrator? Or would that not really fix the problem in any case?
    Well, if one pledged for a crayon drawing and instead got a printed-out image drawn in Illustrator, I wouldn't be surprised if that one got a bit disappointed...
    Last edited by Teddy; 2013-09-30 at 08:00 AM.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1665

What about using jumbo-sized crayons, possibly sharpened to a fine point for the smaller details? Would that help at all?

16. - Top - End - #1666
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Back on the topic of the minis, I gotta say, that while things like the Human-Wrangler and the Warforged Wizard are funny, I think, for me, the Kraken takes the cake for the "Oh, crap " award. That thing is scary.

17. - Top - End - #1667
    Titan in the Playground

And I'm running a party through deep forest at present, where I can't use either sea creatures or fire creatures, and where I've previously established that there are no kobolds.

Sigh.

Guess who's about to see a bunch of ogres and undead.

18. - Top - End - #1668

So, fun fact. The OOTS drive is the only million-dollar project on Kickstarter to date not to have a video pitch. Far as I can tell, the next best is Call of Cthulhu 7th edition, with $561,836, and not even in the top 100.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

19. - Top - End - #1669

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    Well, if one pledged for a crayon drawing and instead got a printed-out image drawn in Illustrator, I wouldn't be surprised if that one got a bit disappointed...
    Oops. I was forgetting that the crayon drawings were for *people* rather than just part of another PDF or strip...ignore me, I'm an idiot.

20. - Top - End - #1670

I'm currently involved in a dungeon delve where we've been fighting at least a dozen kobolds per combat. These minis are very welcome.

21. - Top - End - #1671
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"100%" has not been on the table for a while. It's fully healed, in the sense that there's no healing left to do. But there's nerve damage that can't ever be fixed and a lot of scar tissue around the knuckle making it difficult to bend. And it swells further if I work too much—and the doctor's response to that was, "Don't work that much." Gee, thanks.

The goal right now is to get better at drawing with it the way it is, because it's not going to get any better. That's why I've been developing tricks like working larger onscreen.
    I'm really sorry to hear that Rich. My mom had surgery a few years ago for carpal tunnel in her left hand (she's left-hand dominant) and I remember that she was in quite a bit of pain afterwards. She regained use of her left hand, but she still feels the pain in that hand.

22. - Top - End - #1672

I noticed that the Lizardfolk in AMFES look very different from those in the comic. What do you guys think? Art change (such as small goblins) or some kind of subtle hint about the "Lizardfolk" we're used to seeing?
    "When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive." –Malkavian proverb

"From the tiny egg the great wyrm grows." –Kobold proverb

23. - Top - End - #1673

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
    I noticed that the Lizardfolk in AMFES look very different from those in the comic. What do you guys think? Art change (such as small goblins) or some kind of subtle hint about the "Lizardfolk" we're used to seeing?
    I think it's likely that the lizardfolk in these miniatures got more time spent on them than the main strip (especially since the ones in the main strip are generally one-off gags rather than main characters), which is why they're more detailed. (It's also a goodly while since we actually saw a lizardfolk in the main strip, so simple art upgrade is also a possibility!).

24. - Top - End - #1674

I think it's likely that the lizardfolk in these miniatures got more time spent on them than the main strip (especially since the ones in the main strip are generally one-off gags rather than main characters), which is why they're more detailed. (It's also a goodly while since we actually saw a lizardfolk in the main strip, so simple art upgrade is also a possibility!).
    Gannji and Malack excluded, I presume?

25. - Top - End - #1675

BlackDragon

Malack wasn't a normal lizardfolk, was he? I'll admit I forgot about Gannji, so maybe you're right there.

26. - Top - End - #1676
    Ettin in the Playground

(It's also a goodly while since we actually saw a lizardfolk in the main strip, so simple art upgrade is also a possibility!).
    There are several lizardfolk in Tarquin's army (Roy is fighting a red one at the end of #920). Plus Ambassador Gourntonk.
    Last edited by Gift Jeraff; 2013-10-01 at 11:10 AM.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

27. - Top - End - #1677
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

I think some creatures such as the lizardfolk (and also the dragons) just received more attention in AMFES. In the comic the simpler style probably works better since it blends in more, but I really appreciate the more detailed work in AMFES (some bigger creatures even have real hands! ). I don't really expect ever to be in a situation where I print them out to use them as intended, but I still really enjoyed these two sets so far.

28. - Top - End - #1678

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Pinback View Post
    I don't really expect ever to be in a situation where I print them out to use them as intended,...
    Hmmm, this wasn't something I'd considered before... I wonder how people who play (or would like to play) as lizardfolk and use the AMFES minis would feel about having their characters look different from the comic lizards.

Since I like to play Kobold PCs, I was really thrilled with having so many to choose from (even dragonwrought!!), because they look just like all the kobolds we've seen in-comic so far.

I dunno, I get the feeling that AMFES lizardfolk are not the same as the comic. Maybe a different edition? I have this vague recollection that there used to be several races that were called lizardfolk in some edition, could this be the reason?

29. - Top - End - #1679

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheDog View Post
    I dunno, I get the feeling that AMFES lizardfolk are not the same as the comic. Maybe a different edition? I have this vague recollection that there used to be several races that were called lizardfolk in some edition, could this be the reason?
    Both installments of A Monster for Every Season have had a more detailed art style than the comic uses, for some monsters at least. The sea kitty is more lifelike than Mr. Scruffy, for instance. It's just a different look.

30. - Top - End - #1680

That was late AD&D2e, a Dragon article IIRC. Chameleon men, Alligator men, Iguana men, etc.