New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 59 of 67 FirstFirst ... 93449505152535455565758596061626364656667 LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 1989
  1. - Top - End - #1741
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I figured this info might be important enough to warrant a post:

https://kickstarter.com/blog/importa...ecurity-notice

It appears that Kickstarter's security has been breached a few days ago and intruders have obtained usernames, email addresses, mailing addresses, phone numbers, and encrypted passwords (SHA-1 / bcrypt).

To quote the original article:
    As a precaution, we strongly recommend that you create a new password for your Kickstarter account, and other accounts where you use this password.

2. - Top - End - #1742
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Thanks for letting me know about the KS security issue. I just tweeted this, too.

I sent out some family packages because Postal Rates were set to increase (for the second time since the pledge drive), and I didn't want to have to pay extra by waiting until the last few family portraits were done. I'm hoping to get all the family portraits done within the next few weeks.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

3. - Top - End - #1743
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

In case anyone else found the KS change password procedure confusing:

After logging in and going to your KS account page, not only do you have to type in your new pw and confirm it by entering it again, but you must also scroll down and enter your *old* pw 2 boxes below (beneath the FB login button) before hitting return. Otherwise, your new pw will not be accepted.

4. - Top - End - #1744
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

And as always...

Do not use the link in the emails, but login to Kickstarter normally and access your account profile that way.

Even with the email being from Kickstarter this time, scammers have taken advantage of this in the past and sent a similar looking email at the same time.

5. - Top - End - #1745
    Bugbear in the Playground

In an abundance of caution, just went through well over a hundred websites for which I didn't have a saved pass in FF, trying to make sure I hadn't used my KS password on any of them. Not the funnest 90 minutes. Heh.

6. - Top - End - #1746
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I was a backer for the (amazing) Order of the Stick Kickstarter project; I signed up and gave Kickstarter real information about myself along with my credit card information and pledged, and I was extremely happy with my comics and bonus swag when the package arrived.

My personal information has now been exposed to criminals, and my online security is at risk. I have contacted Kickstarter ([email protected]) with a request that they delete my records, and I'll be spending many hours in the coming days working to lock down my other accounts online

This sucks, and I am intent on learning from the experience.

If you've ever pledged with Kickstarter, act now to secure your email address and password(s), and consider contacting your credit card issuer to report an account compromise.

Kickstarter provides this address for support: [email protected]

-Dig

7. - Top - End - #1747
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Kickstarter doesn't have your credit card information. They use Amazon payments.

8. - Top - End - #1748
    Dwarf in the Playground

I wouldn't overreact... this kind of hack is practically a daily occurrence nowadays. I think this is the third or fourth time in a year that an account I had was hacked in this manner. If they didn't get your credit card number, it's probably not a huge worry.

The odds of this resulting in someone stealing your identity or whatnot is slim to none... basically the info is what you have listed in the phone book (name, address, phone #) plus an e-mail address, username (which is likely useful to nobody) and an encrypted password. The thieves may or may not be able to decipher the passwords at all since they are encrypted. They didn't get your actual "password123" password, they got something that looks like "23lkj1n1-dlkj21swfe;lkq01mm1lkk1meqqlqmm1-" which has to be decrypted into a usable password. (I don't know enough about their encryption to say whether it's crackable at all, or how long it would take to crack each password, but it's probably not trivial to decode a million of them, to say the least.)

It is good sense/security to use unique passwords for any site where a hacker could do real damage (i.e. a bank account, Paypal, Amazon, Gmail etc.). That way you minimize collateral damage if someone does steal a password/login of yours. And if you do that, then having your password for some random site like Kickstarter go missing is not such a big deal. I mean, yeah, I use that password for a few inconsequential sites - they can probably log into the GITP forums and post as me - but I'm not real worried about that happening...

9. - Top - End - #1749
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SarahV View Post
    - they can probably log into the GITP forums and post as me - but I'm not real worried about that happening...
    How do we know that you're not the hacker trying to lure us into a false sense of security, hmmm?

:-p :-p :-p
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

10. - Top - End - #1750
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

No one's credit card information was exposed. That information is stored by Amazon Payments, not Kickstarter.

The only information exposed was your Kickstarter username, email address, mailing address (which can probably be found online anyway), and encrypted passwords.* While it is theoretically possible that those passwords could eventually be cracked, Kickstarter does seem to have had pretty decent encryption in use—if you change your password now, you should be fine. It takes time to crack encryption. And if you were re-using passwords at other sites, well, changing them is a good idea anyway.

And again, even if they were able to log in to your Kickstarter account by cracking your password, you have to put in your Amazon password separately in order to actually pledge to anything anyway.

So, while this certainly sucks, it's not really a sky-is-falling situation. Kickstarter didn't do anything wrong here, they got attacked by a criminal skilled enough to find a flaw. There's no such thing as perfect security, and there's no reason to believe they were particularly careless just because someone out there was dedicated enough to find a way in.

* The blog post also says phone numbers, but I don't know why they would have anyone's phone number. They've never asked me for mine.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

11. - Top - End - #1751
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    How do we know that you're not the hacker trying to lure us into a false sense of security, hmmm?
    I actually had a postscript typed out saying something like "P.S. Don't worry, I'm not the hacker trying to lull you into a false sense of security," and then took it out, because I thought: that's exactly what the hacker WOULD say, if they were trying to throw you off the trail... And I know what you're thinking right now, and yes, that particular paranoiac loop has no end. Get out now and save yourself while you still can.

:-p right back atcha!

12. - Top - End - #1752

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    * The blog post also says phone numbers, but I don't know why they would have anyone's phone number. They've never asked me for mine.
    Well, they have my mobile phone number. The other project I've backed asked for it in the survey, in case the delivery service required it. So I'm guessing survey details were possibly also leaked.

I'm not particularly happy about it, but that's how it goes.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

13. - Top - End - #1753

Quote Originally Posted by Dig View Post
    My personal information has now been exposed to criminals, and my online security is at risk. I have contacted Kickstarter ([email protected]) with a request that they delete my records, and I'll be spending many hours in the coming days working to lock down my other accounts online

This sucks, and I am intent on learning from the experience.

If you've ever pledged with Kickstarter, act now to secure your email address and password(s), and consider contacting your credit card issuer to report an account compromise.

Kickstarter provides this address for support: [email protected]

-Dig
    Even if you don't use different passwords for your various online accounts (I use the same password for stores, for instance, since I can just cancel the attached credit card), you should ALWAYS have a unique password for your email address that isn't used anywhere else. That way, if an account is compromised, they can't just log into your email account with that password and get access to everything else.

You should try to use different passwords for every site. That way, if something is stolen, you've limited damage to that one site. Or in my case, you can minimize the damage to one thing needing to be changed, like canceling a credit card. (I use separate cards for "regular bills" and "store purchases" to make this easy.)

14. - Top - End - #1754
    Pixie in the Playground

It is a sad day indeed when someone hacks and the like over something like this. I mean really now, this is supposed to be a good healthy environment.
    Only when the world has been torn apart around everyone, and the establishments of old are replaced with new ones. Only then will I be pleased with the world.

15. - Top - End - #1755
    Orc in the Playground

I've been re-reading the Kickstarter posts made by the Giant during the drive. There's so many positive emotions there it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Best spent 10$ ever.
    OotS Quiz Junkie

Spoiler
    Show

Oh great Machine God, we beseech thee to deliver us from danger.
    Oh great Machine God, we beseech thee to invest this metal carcass with your spirit.
    Oh great Machine God, we beseech thee to bring life unto the inanimate.
    Oh great Machine God, we beseech thee to summon forth the holy en-Djinn
    Incantation of the Mechanicus

16. - Top - End - #1756
    Orc in the Playground

Kickstarter officialy reached $1billion, of which .125% was to the OOTS pledge

https://www.kickstarter.com/1billion...sletterMar0314

(ok, OOTS was not mentioned, but it still sounds cool)

17. - Top - End - #1757
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Thumbs up Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

It took almost six months (four of which was the fault of local customs and post office - not surprising), but I finally got my Stick It To Me package all the way in Manila, the Philippines. Thanks Giant! Christmas in March!

Happy to report that despite the USPS box being really beat up, all the contents were undamaged and complete as per Ookoodook's packing list. Now to have the signed print framed for my desk. :)

Hooray Durkon doodle!

18. - Top - End - #1758
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice (instant) collection you have got there
    It really is nice to see people getting rewards, a steady steam of progress.

(Though Ookoodook had most likely nothing to do with your packing, since signed packages are sent by Rich directly.)

And reminds me that I could look for a frame for my print too ...
    But since I have the Poster framed on my wall, that doesn't seem that high priority
    Last edited by ChristianSt; 2014-03-19 at 09:01 AM.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

19. - Top - End - #1759
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    And reminds me that I could look for a frame for my print too ...
    But since I have the Poster framed on my wall, that doesn't seem that high priority
    Did you frame your poster in one big frame? I was unable to find a frame big enough so they have one frame each. I guess the advantage is that if I move I can put them on either side of something.

20. - Top - End - #1760
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Did you frame your poster in one big frame? I was unable to find a frame big enough so they have one frame each. I guess the advantage is that if I move I can put them on either side of something.
    Maybe a bit too off-topic (though the art print can be framed, too), but I used a pair "frameless frames" (basically a pane of glass + back with a few clips), so it is no problem to put them directly beside each other.
    Last edited by ChristianSt; 2014-03-20 at 04:58 PM.

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

21. - Top - End - #1761
    Ogre in the Playground

Back on topic, I read the coloring book recently and couldn't stop laughing. It's pretty funny. I'm torn as to whether I want to color it or not... It's kind of meant for it, but I also have that silly feeling that I'm defacing it. Maybe I'll buy a second one if there are any left so I have a before-after... And an extra book to color at some point if need be.

22. - Top - End - #1762
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Back on topic, I read the coloring book recently and couldn't stop laughing. It's pretty funny. I'm torn as to whether I want to color it or not... It's kind of meant for it, but I also have that silly feeling that I'm defacing it.
    I had the same though. Luckily, upped my pledge to get three coloring books: On to keep in pristine condition, one to color in myself, and one for my nephew to color in.

23. - Top - End - #1763
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

So, has rich updated us on what happened with the kickstarter stuff during his hiatus? What got sent out, worked on, etc? Or said anything about when he intends to do that?

24. - Top - End - #1764
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the best thing to do is to patiently wait for the next update, which will arrive some day.

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

25. - Top - End - #1765
    Banned

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by eras10 View Post
    So, has rich updated us on what happened with the kickstarter stuff during his hiatus? What got sent out, worked on, etc? Or said anything about when he intends to do that?
    Haven't you heard, Rich has given up on Kickstarter. He's burned half the stuff he hasn't sent out and will burn more if anyone asks him about it. He also will not be sending stuff out anymore. He is currently making the loudest noise he can make. It's April Fools over here. I can get away with this.

26. - Top - End - #1766
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

A simple "yes" or "no" would suffice. Or you could... fail to be helpful. Not that I haven't figured out what the answer is by the lack of information in the replies.

27. - Top - End - #1767
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eras10 View Post
    A simple "yes" or "no" would suffice. Or you could... fail to be helpful. Not that I haven't figured out what the answer is by the lack of information in the replies.
    I certainly can't speak for other posters, but I wanted to be helpful. Imo the answer "Just wait for X." to the question "Has X happened?" can only be really understand as a implied "no". (Yes, I didn't said "no" - mostly because I didn't want to directly say "no".)

But to be more helpful:
    Basically Rich uses 3/4ish main sources to distribute KS updates, and I think it is rather easy to follow them:

• Kickstarter. I think all substantial updates had hit the update section pretty soon. So if you follow those, you are basically up to date. Sometimes he also comments in the comment section, though they tend to only clear things up. The last time was the password thing. If you fear to miss comments from updates, you can also look directly at Rich's comments made on Kickstarter.
    • The main page news.
    • Twitter. You can see the most recent posts in the new sidebar, which makes it much easier to follow. But I haven't really noticed any new information on Twitter that was not posted somewhere else the same time, too. (Though if you don't follow KS updates, it might be easier to notice them through Twitter.)
    • Rich also makes Forum posts from time to time. The Kickstarter relevant information is mostly limited to the KS-thread (so the thread we are using right now). I can't remember an answer belonging to KS in another thread that wasn't information I have read somewhere else first.

If you follow the main page news and this thread (which from your post you seem to do), then basically the only other possible update source Rich has used in the past is the Kickstarter pledge site. I haven't noticed Rich being sneaky and burying updates somewhere else.
    Last edited by ChristianSt; 2014-04-01 at 03:30 AM.

Problems with [table]?
    The Order of the Stick

Thanks!

28. - Top - End - #1768
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Haven't you heard, Rich has given up on Kickstarter. He's burned half the stuff he hasn't sent out and will burn more if anyone asks him about it. He also will not be sending stuff out anymore. He is currently making the loudest noise he can make.
    It's quite an outrageous incident, and his last post was ... an interesting read.
    But also quite understandable, as I read there was somewhat of an ice-age descending over North America last winter. Using the rewards to heat his house was sort of a a no-brainer.

29. - Top - End - #1769
    Banned

Daemon

Rich, can you confirm or deny if the kickstarter stuff you haven't produced yet will be in the old style or the noodle style. This is unfinished story, posters, monster minis everything.

30. - Top - End - #1770
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Rich, can you confirm or deny if the kickstarter stuff you haven't produced yet will be in the old style or the noodle style. This is unfinished story, posters, monster minis everything.
    Sorry, Rich can't answer, he's busy sharpening his crayons to a very very very fine point to color in the noodle hands for the rest of the crayon drawings...