New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Post-Kickstarter Discussion Thread: Bask in the Afterglow

Quote Originally Posted by Skavensrule View Post
    So let's follow Denyala's advice and look for a very large pillow. (non-cloning variety please, that is a little creepy, plus Rich already has a beard so what would his evil twin/clone do)
    Will Riker had a full beard, Thomas Riker had a goatee. Simple!
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

2. - Top - End - #212
    Pixie in the Playground

It sure was a lot of fun to watch all the kickstarter stuff. I've been reading OOTS since 2004 (right after Rich did the 8-bit theater guest comic) but I never bothered joining the forum. Just joining up now to say that it was fun to see Rich have such success with kickstarter, and to say thanks for all the great entertainment over the past years.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xapi View Post
    Unrelated to that, I don't think the Giant would release something like that because of the quality loss from PDF to JPG.
    Why should there be a quality loss? If anything, CBR/CBZ are better as these are just losslessly compressed original pictures.
    The pictures in a PDF on the other hand are scaled and possibly compressed using a lossy algorithm.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Halfling in the Playground

How do Kickstarter funds qualify re: taxes?

Straight income? Because...ow. Add State/Local, and you'll be looking at about half going to the gubmint.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Creating your own CBZ or CBR file is incredibly easy.

Unrelated to that, I don't think the Giant would release something like that because of the quality loss from PDF to JPG.
    They can be PNG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Baelzar View Post
    How do Kickstarter funds qualify re: taxes?

Straight income? Because...ow. Add State/Local, and you'll be looking at about half going to the gubmint.
    We have been previously advised by the mods before not to speculate on this as we are not tax lawyers or accountants.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Will Riker had a full beard, Thomas Riker had a goatee. Simple!
    Sneaky, I had forgotten about that one.

And thank you for reminding everyone about what the Mods said: Fellow Forumites, we are not tax-professionals and the Forum Rules do specifically mention things like this.
    "One useless man is called a disgrace, two are called a law firm and three or more become a congress."
    John Adams (lawyer, congressman, 2nd President of the USA)
    I participated!
    Typical of a non-spellcaster to think so linearly............But it's a line.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    We have been previously advised by the mods before not to speculate on this as we are not tax lawyers or accountants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skavensrule View Post
    And thank you for reminding everyone about what the Mods said: Fellow Forumites, we are not tax-professionals and the Forum Rules do specifically mention things like this.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/annou...t.php?f=22&a=1 Hint: I've done the most I can do as a courtesy.

Anyways I'm surprised how many people have been worried about taxes both here and on kickstarter. Revenue != Profit

Creating your own CBZ or CBR file is incredibly easy.

I haven't seen those file types before, but what are the benefits of CBZ or CBR vs making a pdf slideshow especially since you'd need a special viewer to look at them? Also Rich just said he is sending us pdfs; I doubt that he draws directly in them. He probably uses an image format and converts to pdf.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage View Post
    Why should there be a quality loss? If anything, CBR/CBZ are better as these are just losslessly compressed original pictures.
    The pictures in a PDF on the other hand are scaled and possibly compressed using a lossy algorithm.
    I disagree, I'm quite certain Adobe exports directly to PDF with little to no loss.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Moorbo View Post
    I haven't seen those file types before, but what are the benefits of CBZ or CBR vs making a pdf slideshow especially since you'd need a special viewer to look at them?
    Putting pictures into a PDF is like sending someone pictures as a Word file.
    Why use a file format that's not intended for that kind of information?

PDF is a format for documents - mixed content. If you only have one kind of content (pictures) a dedicated format is the better choice.

Also Rich just said he is sending us pdfs; I doubt that he draws directly in them. He probably uses an image format and converts to pdf.
    Which means information (read: quality) gets lost by converting them into PDF.

But yes, I'm aware that most people prefer the convenient over the sensible.
    So I expect the stories to arrive in PDF format, and I just have to overcome my IT sensibilities. (Just as I have to accept my customers sending me screenshots as Word files...)

11. - Top - End - #221

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/annou...t.php?f=22&a=1 Hint: I've done the most I can do as a courtesy.

Anyways I'm surprised how many people have been worried about taxes both here and on kickstarter. Revenue != Profit

I haven't seen those file types before, but what are the benefits of CBZ or CBR vs making a pdf slideshow especially since you'd need a special viewer to look at them? Also Rich just said he is sending us pdfs; I doubt that he draws directly in them. He probably uses an image format and converts to pdf.
    1 - CBZ and CBR are in my opinion nothing at all, they're just a zip with a bunch of jpgs or pngs that a given software unzips (or unrars) and shows to you. Personally, I'd prefer the jpgs or pngs over that.

2 - The Giant works in Adobe Photoshop. From my admitedly short experience, Photoshop files are quite heavy and require special software to see (IE, not necesarily Photoshop itself, but a Photo editor of some sort at least, like GIMP). He will ALWAYS have to export that into a more reader friendly format. The quality loss from Photoshop to PDFs is minimal, I believe in the same ballpark as the loss to PNG (Which is what we see in the comic).

The difference is that a single PDF file can carry a full story, while PNGs are one page at a time.

And we go back to CBZ/CBR, wich lets you treat a bunch of PNGs as a single file. But you need a CBZ viewer (not something every computer has, like a PDF reader), and The Giant would have to take an extra step (first exporting everything to PNG, then creating the CBZ/CBR.

12. - Top - End - #222

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage View Post
    Which means information (read: quality) gets lost by converting them into PDF.

But yes, I'm aware that most people prefer the convenient over the sensible.
    So I expect the stories to arrive in PDF format, and I just have to overcome my IT sensibilities. (Just as I have to accept my customers sending me screenshots as Word files...)
    Loss of quality will happen regardless of the format, because he will not send us the original Adobe file he worked on.

Given an equal standing between PNG and PDF, PDF is better because it allows a single file to carry all the strips.

Also, I made a mistake before, it should say Ilustrator where I wrote Photoshop.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Pixie in the Playground

And we go back to CBZ/CBR, wich lets you treat a bunch of PNGs as a single file. But you need a CBZ viewer (not something every computer has, like a PDF reader), and The Giant would have to take an extra step (first exporting everything to PNG, then creating the CBZ/CBR.
    Not every computer has a PDF reader, and the versions on those mean that not every PDF reader can read all PDFs.

It's not like CBZ/CBR files require you to buy Photoshop or something to view them, the programs that use them are available online for free.

Also, the extra step of creating the CBZ file would be pretty minimal.

Personally, I've read comics on computers both as PDFs and CBZ files, and I prefer using the CBZ programs. I'm not saying that only CBZ files should available, I'm just wondering if they could also be made avaialable.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

I disagree, I'm quite certain Adobe exports directly to PDF with little to no loss.
    Didn't know that. Never used Adobe for generating images so I assumed Rich would need to convert from a image format to pdf.

15. - Top - End - #225

Quote Originally Posted by tomorrowboy View Post
    Not every computer has a PDF reader, and the versions on those mean that not every PDF reader can read all PDFs.
    I've never had a problem with PDF versions that stopped me from reading what I was going to read. Also, we both know the vast mayority of computers have already installed the software to read such a widely used format, whereas this is certainly not true for CBZ/CBR.

It's not like CBZ/CBR files require you to buy Photoshop or something to view them, the programs that use them are available online for free.
    I found CBZ software to be clunky, but that's not the issue because as you say:

Personally, I've read comics on computers both as PDFs and CBZ files, and I prefer using the CBZ programs. I'm not saying that only CBZ files should available, I'm just wondering if they could also be made avaialable.
    I know, I just think you'll be in the vast minority there, and it would probably make more sense that you make those files for yourself.

It's not just converting to another format, he'd also have to ask each backer in which format he wants his stuff.
    Last edited by Xapi; 2012-02-23 at 02:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

re: The whole PDF-CBZ/CBR debate:

I like to think of myself as at least somewhat computer literate, and I've never heard of these files before today. And if I've never heard of them, I think it's a fairly safe bet that a large chunk of Rich's readership hasn't either.

So what's the point of Rich devoting time and resources that is only going to appeal to a sliver of the readership base when he could use that time on other things?

You see, standards are a standard for a reason: Ease of use and simplicity.

And whether it offends people IT sensibilities or not, I suspect a heck of a lot more people have PDF readers right this very second than CBZ/CBR ones.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

17. - Top - End - #227
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

I had a question about the Kickstarter stories. I know that there is a possibility that at a point during/after 2013, they could be released in book format (I hope this happens!), but for the PDF release, will there be any commentary on the stories like there are in the print compilations?

And unrelated to that, I am so glad the kickstarter succeeded as much as it did. I own all the print books already, and I intend to buy any more that come out. I backed it early, figuring I'd get a fun story out of it before O-Chul comes to prominence in the main book and help reprint one of the books, but holy crap! I'm amazed to see how much attention Mr. Burlew put in to the kickstarter, and what both he and the fans will get out of it. I know tortured artists can put out great work, but I'm looking forward to what a happy artist will put out!

Also, there's a part of me that hopes the newest Mystery Prize is...

Spoiler
    Show
    A bi-monthly Julio Scoundrel release, all the way from Issue #1.

And I know that won't happen, but I can dream, can't I?
    Last edited by The Derider; 2012-02-23 at 02:22 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Don't know how much quality it keeps but there is an online converter for pdf to cbz: http://pdf-to-cbz.net/

Edit: Although if the pdfs are larger than 10MB that won't work.
    Last edited by Moorbo; 2012-02-23 at 02:23 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

I haven't forgotten about the last comic in the consecutive run, it's just taking a very long time and I couldn't finish it yesterday. Lots of complicated art. It will be up in few hours.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

20. - Top - End - #230

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I haven't forgotten about the last comic in the consecutive run, it's just taking a very long time and I couldn't finish it yesterday. Lots of complicated art. It will be up in few hours.
    Looking forward to it.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Hi Rich. I just want to say thank you for being awesome.
    My avatar! Isn't it just utterly diabolical? Ashen Lilies made it!

"Money cannot buy health, but I'd settle for a diamond-studded wheelchair."
    ― Dorothy Parker

Spoiler: Interested in Nexus FFRP? Newcomers welcome!
    Show
    FFRP Faqs |Nexus Faqs | Nexus IRC Chat
    We're friendly! Join the fun!
    Ext. Sig.
    PCs

22. - Top - End - #232
    Colossus in the Playground

This news makes me very happy.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Derider View Post
    I had a question about the Kickstarter stories. I know that there is a possibility that at a point during/after 2013, they could be released in book format (I hope this happens!), but for the PDF release, will there be any commentary on the stories like there are in the print compilations?
    I remember mentioning the Giant somewhere in the first thread (y'know, the one with 100+ pages) that he might consider it. It'd be cool to have some commentary in the PDF stories

Lots of complicated art.
    Waiting for complicated art is no problem for me

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Derider View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    A bi-monthly Julio Scoundrel release, all the way from Issue #1.
    That would be AWESOME!!!
    Last edited by honigmuffin; 2012-02-23 at 02:40 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is correct. I'm the production manager at a print magazine and everything we send to the press is in PDF, and all of the ads people send us are PDF. As far as I know most publications and ad agencies use a PDF workflow now. Back in the early days of digital prepress (~10 years ago) I would get people arguing with me because they thought PDF was a lossy web format, but the beauty of it is that it can do everything: lossy low-file-size versions of the document, or press-ready font-embedded high-res lossless perfection. It can pretty much contain anything you want, as long as you know what you're doing.

For something like this comic, PDF is awesome because it can contain vector graphics and fonts without rasterizing them (rasterize = convert to a pixelated image) - meaning you can view it larger on your screen or zoom way in without it getting all jagged and blurry. PNG, JPG and GIF can't do that. (Now, I don't know enough about how The Giant creates his files to say whether it is feasible to do it that way or not, but the file format is certainly capable of it.)

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

"Lots of complicated art." Sounds great to me!
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

He will ALWAYS have to export that into a more reader friendly format. The quality loss from Photoshop to PDFs is minimal, I believe in the same ballpark as the loss to PNG (Which is what we see in the comic).
    No, we see .gif in the comic.

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    No, we see .gif in the comic.
    You are right, it is the Kickstarter Drive banner that was a PNG. Still, the point stands.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by honigmuffin View Post
    Waiting for complicated art is no problem for me
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
    "Lots of complicated art." Sounds great to me!
    Ditto and ditto!
    "One useless man is called a disgrace, two are called a law firm and three or more become a congress."
    John Adams (lawyer, congressman, 2nd President of the USA)
    I participated!
    Typical of a non-spellcaster to think so linearly............But it's a line.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yay, money was taken from my account today Which is a weird thing to cheer about, but meh! Just happy that it didn't mess up. Now there's just the waiting (luckily had lots of practice at that when waiting for Snips, Snails and Dragontales ). I'm sure it'll be worth it as usual though

30. - Top - End - #240
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

as an aside, the files which are sent to the printer to print the super-high-quality glossy books we're shellin' out for? in all probability, PDF.
    >>< drow ><<