New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Help buying Snip Snails and Dragon Tales

Hello, I have a dream of one day owning all the OOTS books. Most of them don't look like they'll be to much of a problem, at least right now. I already have On The Origin of PCs and The Start of Darkness.

The one exception being Snips Snails and Dragon Tails, I've been looking around and the best price I can get is around $75. Is that about right? Or if I wait and I keep my eyes open do you think I'll find a better price?

The rest of the books I can get for quite reasonable prices right now, are any of the other books likely to become more difficult to find in the near future? In other words, are there any other books I should be prioritizing?

Thanks for the help!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Help buying Snip Snails and Dragon Tales

SSDT is out of print, it was an exclusive more or less limited run, and it's unlikely that it'll ever be reprinted, so you can't really compare it to the other books (although those too might run out eventually - it happened before for some of them). You might be able to find a better price, who knows, but I wouldn't bet on it. It might well get significantly more expensive instead.
    ungelic is us

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Well, I contacted the seller and managed to buy the book for $70.00. That's still at least 3x more than I've ever spent on a book in my life, but then again I suppose I don't usually buy books that are out of print.

Let's hope it's worth it .

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Getting a copy of Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

Hey there,

I've been slowly building up a little collection of the oots books this year and I just noticed that I can't seem to find a copy of Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales anywhere. I checked ookdook, then Amazon, then ebay and resorted to just googling it but no juice. If anyone knows where I could buy a copy, or if anyone's willing to sell me their copy I'd be really grateful!

(Apologies if this isn't the right subforum, I wasn't really sure where to put this)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Getting a copy of Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales

Quote Originally Posted by Slivy Nivy View Post
    Hey there,

I've been slowly building up a little collection of the oots books this year and I just noticed that I can't seem to find a copy of Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales anywhere. I checked ookdook, then Amazon, then ebay and resorted to just googling it but no juice. If anyone knows where I could buy a copy, or if anyone's willing to sell me their copy I'd be really grateful!

(Apologies if this isn't the right subforum, I wasn't really sure where to put this)
    Right forum, but you had the bad luck to happen to have the exact same problem as someone else very recently, so there's already an active thread on the topic. Fortunately, that little snag has been fixed!

Back to unfortunately, SS&DT was a one-off and is out of print. I think the author said he may be amenable to a digital version at some point in the future, but I'm unsure on that. Currently, the only way to get it is second hand, and likely for an inflated price.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I think the author said he may be amenable to a digital version at some point in the future, but I'm unsure on that.
    Probably looking for this.

Quote Originally Posted by @RichBurlew
    Quote Originally Posted by @MajorX17
    Quote Originally Posted by @RichBurlew
    So we're down to 3 boxes left of print copies of "Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales" in the Ookoodook warehouse. We won't be reprinting it, so if you wanted it on paper, consider ordering it sooner rather than later.
    Any chance of this getting a pdf release in the future?
    Yes, definitely. I've been waiting until it sells out at Ook due to my promise to them that it was an "exclusive."
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Hey there,

I think it is now out of print. There may still be a pdf version available from Ookodook? I'm not sure about those. You could try a local gaming or comics shop and hope to get lucky, but it's unlikely as it's not the most accessible OotS book and I think it had the shortest print run. Continuing to check resale outlets like ebay might be your best bet.

It's liable to be one of those things that you can spend years hunting for in all the places you'd expect and fail to find any at a reasonable price, then stumble across one in a car boot sale for about 50p when you least expect it.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I've learned that the Summon Banana spell tends to have a higher chance of success of I'm vaguely uncertain about it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ah thanks for the help! If anyone randomly comes across this post (even if it's 2025) and knows of one that's being resold please let me know!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I've learned that the Summon Banana spell tends to have a higher chance of success of I'm vaguely uncertain about it.
    Maybe Uncertainty is a spell component?

11. - Top - End - #11

I would not be surprised if the books migrate to POD sometime after the series finishes, so Rich can keep the revenue stream while he does something else to WOW! us on a regular basis.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I would not be surprised if the books migrate to POD sometime after the series finishes, so Rich can keep the revenue stream while he does something else to WOW! us on a regular basis.
    I think the Giant mentioned somewhere that it won't be reprinted on paper as it was supposed to be exclusive. The quote posted earlier might be it, or there might be more to it elsewhere. But, as mentioned, a digital reprint is probably not out of the question (or less out of the question).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    I think the Giant mentioned somewhere that it won't be reprinted on paper as it was supposed to be exclusive. The quote posted earlier might be it, or there might be more to it elsewhere. But, as mentioned, a digital reprint is probably not out of the question (or less out of the question).
    He also said he wouldn't be going to POD because the service he'd have to use for that would be both of lesser quality and more expensive in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

14. - Top - End - #14

Although it should be noted that, like all tech issues, that's something that's changing constantly. I never thought 3D printing would get anywhere near where it is today, let alone where it'll be in a couple years.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Recent update:

Quote Originally Posted by That Patreon Post
    9.) Dylan Roy: "Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales" has been out of stock at Ookoodook for a while now, any ETA on the pdf version?

Rich: Probably in May.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Glad to hear it! I got my book during the original print run, but The Tragedy of Greenhilt, Prince of Denmark is still one of the funniest things I've ever read - I think I was cracking up more or less continuously for several pages straight. Every day that not everyone has a chance to read it pains me.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

As someone who doesn't have room to store more print books, I am quite excited to finally get to read SS&DT.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah thanks for the help! If anyone randomly comes across this post (even if it's 2025) and knows of one that's being resold please let me know!
    It's not yet 2025 (only 2023), and here's one (for $400!)

https://www.abebooks.com/Order-Stick...31475240602/bd
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

19. - Top - End - #19

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Closed for Necromancy.