New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: OOTS in the Media

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Hrm. I really don't like how the Crain's one says that I have a chronic illness that "limits my ability to attract Web advertisers." As if I wanted my site to be plastered with ads, but I just couldn't manage to find any willing to take a chance on me.
    Um: maybe producing a long-running, supposedly niche, stick-figure webcomic is seen as a chronic illness by many advertisers?
    '~:. F5 Camper With Muscle-Memory Issues .:~'

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

Hrm. I really don't like how the Crain's one says that I have a chronic illness that "limits my ability to attract Web advertisers." As if I wanted my site to be plastered with ads, but I just couldn't manage to find any willing to take a chance on me.
    I didn't particularly like that part either. I figure their train of thought goes illness -> irregular schedule -> advertisers reluctant to advertise.

You know, because nobody bothers with this site unless you update the comic. Active forums? What active forums?
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd say it's more lack of ads = lack of ability to draw advertisers. And frankly, if you believe that, you've missed the point of this pledge drive entirely.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I suspect it is because they read your News Page entry where you said one of the reasons why you don't do advertising on the main page of the comic is that you don't have a regular update schedule. But they chose not to explain your rationale in the best of ways.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2012-02-29 at 02:21 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I'm not going to add articles that mention me once, then go on to talk about Kickstarter, but the PW and Crain's are definitely going on the list.
    I am a chessplayer of some skill and fo that I ended up on local newspapers on occasions, and that tougth me one thing: journalists have no idea what they're talking about. Maybe big newspapers will have specific experts for politics or other big stuff, but when it comes to those kind of secondary news, the guy who do the writing simply don't know the argument and will do the best he can with what he have, making a lot of mistakes in the process.
    From my experience, you're lucky they at least got your name right: a good third of the times I was mentioned in papers, my name was misspelled.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

To be honest, I can see how they made that jump from what you've said publicly about not adding ads to the site (partly) due to your update schedule, and your update schedule being (partly) defined by your illness.

On the other hand yeah, it does suggest that the barrier is the advertisers rather than your own ethics.
    To the guy responsible for Belkar, Haley and Vaarsuvius. Thank you for providing over 800 comedy gems.

My Favourite Giant Posts
    Well, It Took 10 Years, But His Tolerance For Rules-Based Criticism Finally Snapped Like A Dry Breadstick
    Race Should Not Dictate Alignment

"What's the point in defending the defensible? Where's the challenge in that?" - Nick Naylor, Thank You for Smoking

Spot the Toxic Comic Fans! Gotta Catch 'Em All!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I'm not going to add articles that mention me once, then go on to talk about Kickstarter, but the PW and Crain's are definitely going on the list.
    In modern business, "ethical standards" can be considered a disease.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In modern business, "ethical standards" can be considered a disease.

That should be a bumper sticker.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Colossus in the Playground

You could send him an email asking for a correction in the article.

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I didn't particularly like that part either. I figure their train of thought goes illness -> irregular schedule -> advertisers reluctant to advertise.

You know, because nobody bothers with this site unless you update the comic. Active forums? What active forums?
    Even if you ignore the active forum you have 15,000 fans who were willing to spend money on this comic and god knows how many other fans who didn't spend money on the comic haha

The Playground should have advertising prices similar to the superbowl ;)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avy by spectralphoenix

Sammael, Aasimar Blackguard

Avys by Neoseph07

Astaroth, Human Lich Dragon Disciple

Jophiel, Gray Elf Mystic Theurge

<--Naamah Vampire Illusionist

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vemynal View Post
    Even if you ignore the active forum you have 15,000 fans who were willing to spend money on this comic and god knows how many other fans who didn't spend money on the comic haha

The Playground should have advertising prices similar to the superbowl ;)
    Nice sentiment, although you're somewhere between 3 and 4 zeroes off for reaching superbowl viewership.

That said, I didn't understand the article to be making any argument about the proper cost of advertising, but rather the risk of advertising, which was apparently misunderstood due to the journalist not knowing how forums work.
    School Fox by Atlur

Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    That said, I didn't understand the article to be making any argument about the proper cost of advertising, but rather the risk of advertising, which was apparently misunderstood due to the journalist not knowing how forums work.
    That, or didn't actually poke around the site enough to notice the existence of the forums. <shrugs>

Or did, but didn't actually click on them. Who knows? But, yeah: mangled research.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Halfling in the Playground

Rich --

I would like to blog a retrospective on the Kickstarter Drive. Would it be all right to use two of the images from the drive? I was thinking of the original Kickstarter (everyone kicking Belkar image) and either the image from Kickstarter Update #4 or Kickstarter Update #5.

Thanks so much for your answer.

Yours,
    Hmm
    Thanks to Urodivoi for my Avatars!

14. - Top - End - #104
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Euodiachloris View Post
    That, or didn't actually poke around the site enough to notice the existence of the forums. <shrugs>

Or did, but didn't actually click on them. Who knows? But, yeah: mangled research.
    The advertising part is not about the forum, it's about the main comic site.

The comic is completely ad free, not because of Rich's illness, not because of the nature of a regular website vs a forum, but because it is Rich's bussiness decision.

The fact that the comic has an irregular schedule is a PART of the reason for that bussiness decision, at best, and Rich's illness is a PART of the reason for the irregular schedule, and the writer overestimated both effects to create a causal link between Rich's illness and the fact that the comic doesn't do ads.

His (the writer's) mistake had nothing to do with how a forum works, because he never looked at a forum, this is not about the forum, it's about the main comic site.

And actually, the forum does feature ads.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by x2wolf View Post
    Wizard's might be happy to do so. However, Rich would lucky to have his soul after that.
    Yes I know TheGiant has worked on some official D&D books and has had OOTS in Dragon Magazine, but the point is i am sure publishers would give Rich a lot of money, but he would probably lose most of his rights, including the right to sneeze.
    Souls are overrated

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    I am a chessplayer of some skill and fo that I ended up on local newspapers on occasions, and that tougth me one thing: journalists have no idea what they're talking about. Maybe big newspapers will have specific experts for politics or other big stuff, but when it comes to those kind of secondary news, the guy who do the writing simply don't know the argument and will do the best he can with what he have, making a lot of mistakes in the process.
    From my experience, you're lucky they at least got your name right: a good third of the times I was mentioned in papers, my name was misspelled.
    Same thing happened to me once. When I was younger (Nine or ten years old, IIRC) I was the headliner of the local newspaper (beating a homicide and the first birth in the area after New Years) because I wrote a 120 page book. The news-reporter wasn't even close to spelling my last name right.
    Last edited by Maxios; 2012-03-03 at 04:13 PM.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

17. - Top - End - #107

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    Same thing happened to me once. When I was younger (Nine or ten years old, IIRC) I was the headliner of the local newspaper (beating a homicide and the first birth in the area after New Years) because I wrote a 120 page book. The news-reporter wasn't even close to spelling my last name right.
    I'm going to be all Captain Obvious here and ask, "Wow, what kind of 120 page book did you write when you were nine or ten?"

Wow, what kind of 120 page book did you write when you were nine or ten?
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

18. - Top - End - #108

ClericGirl

I was in the local newspapers for foiling an international act of terrorism, winning every Walkley award and being awarded the title of 'World's Most Beautiful Person' on the same day. But they spelled my name wrong as well.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Not sure if this thread is also to be used for OotS in foreign media, but a big Dutch newspaper has put out a story on the OotS kickstarter:

http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/2694/...kstarter.dhtml

It's a very basic story, but if translations are needed, just holler!

20. - Top - End - #110
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGirl

The link to The Globe and Mail in the first post has a bad url, looks like it somehow starts with www.=http.com//. Deleting that part made the link work fine, though.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Singularity Hub did a Q&A with me about the future of media that you can read here. Bonus points for including the first time I've ever been called "conservative" in my life.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

[Joke]
    According to this Q&A you're referencing something from #294 in #845. To the archives!

*Browses*

Hmm, the confetti of Roy's torn up contracts could be a metaphor for the broken Order of the Scribble, or possibly used in reference to some destroyed documents that will shed light on the Draketooth philosophy and reveal the Shocking Secret™ that will cause every reader to rethink how truly noble Soon Kim was!

[/Joke]

I think your summary of why your Kickstarter triumphed reflected my own thoughts: You engaged with us and turned into an event, and always had new stuff to keep drawing us in.
    Last edited by RMS Oceanic; 2012-03-13 at 03:47 PM.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Maybe not personally, but I'm kind of surprised nobody's used the word for your merchandising strategy before.

Irregardless (*dodges fruit*), it's a good interview. Hooray for more coverage!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

24. - Top - End - #114

MindFlayer

When you sell a book, you’re competing with every other book out there. When you sell an experience, it’s always one-of-a-kind.
    Well put, sir. Very good interview.

I’ve often heard it said that 1-2% of readers of a free product (like a webcomic) will purchase a given product, and certainly my experience has been in line with that. Before even considering using Kickstarter, therefore, a new comic would need to have a known audience at least fifty times as large as the number of backers they would need for their project to succeed if everyone pledged at the lowest level to get the main product.
    So... one can estimate the size of the OotS audience as 50 times the number of backers? That would put readership at around 750,000 strong.

Last edited by Smolder; 2012-03-13 at 09:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Bonus points for including the first time I've ever been called "conservative" in my life.
    But You said that your comic has no relevance to politics. (I don't get it why they call you "conservative".)
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    But You said that your comic has no relevance to politics. (I don't get it why they call you "conservative".)
    It's not regarding politics. "Conservative" in this usage means simply not as willing to predict the overthrow of all existing distribution channels in favor of an egalitarian patronage model that puts no one work of art ahead of any other. Basically, he's saying my feelings about what will (or should) happen in the future regarding art and media are not as radical as his own predictions.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

27. - Top - End - #117

Also, I have a Twitter now. www.twitter.com/RichBurlew More info to come on that later.
    Rich Burlew

28. - Top - End - #118

Also, I have a Twitter now. www.twitter.com/RichBurlew More info to come on that later.
    Joined Twitter just for this .

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by fergo View Post
    Joined Twitter just for this .
    Yup. This just sucked me in.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome Alone View Post
    I'm going to be all Captain Obvious here and ask, "Wow, what kind of 120 page book did you write when you were nine or ten?"

Wow, what kind of 120 page book did you write when you were nine or ten?
    A story about a young detective and his friends investigating the mysterious shut down of a candy factory.

Basically, my teacher at the time was friends were a reporter. I showed my teacher the story, she showed it to the reporter, and the reporter decided to interview me for the paper.
    The article also got posted on the newspaper's website. I even have the article in my Favorites.
    Last edited by Maxios; 2012-03-14 at 01:06 PM.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine