New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: OOTS in the Media

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    There was one question unresolved after the Kickstarter: Did you mannage to get that shiny new Cintaq in the end?
    I'm waiting to see how much money is left after everything ships. There have been a lot of cost overruns on postage and printing and such.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gah, I guess when I get the 500 error from the server I should check to see if it's actually gone through rather than using the opportunity to add bits. Now I can't delete either of them cos Rich has replied to both :P

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    That's the image I provided to run with the interview, so it looks like the interview got scrapped and only that short quote survived.
    And here I thought I recognised the quote as being from one of the earlier Kickstarter updates, and figured they'd just done their homework. (It's in the 5 things in update 35, but it's such a heartfelt sentiment that I don't blame Rich for using the same phrase for it twice. Not all the things you say to journalists need to be original, and most aren't.)

Oh well, I guess that journalists do interview a lot of people and don't always publish the full interview. I hope they didn't actually promise to publish it in full, or if they did, that they'll make good on that in the future...
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

3. - Top - End - #183

CNBC did a roundup of the Top Ten Kickstarters ever, and I'm still in there (until next week, probably): Link

Also, Bloomberg Businessweek. The parts where they quote me are just rehashes from other interviews I've done—I never talked to them—so I'm putting it under "Articles" not "Interviews."
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'm kind of new here, having finished the archive only a week ago. But I noticed that on Saturday night's ep of Doctor Who, "The Power of Three", one of the Doctor's hearts stops. And when he gets it going again, he shouts that he's "BACK IN THE GAME!". Possible shout-out to OOTS?

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I reeeeeeeaaaaaaalllly doubt it.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Nooooooooooo, that's just a common saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Not really a shout - out to OOTS at all. People use that when coming out of retirement, recovered from an injury, etc.

8. - Top - End - #188

A pair of related articles on CNN Money today:

9 Reasons Kickstarter Projects Ship Late: I'm quoted under #7, and #9 is pretty much all about my thumb.

Also, Why 84% of Kickstarter's top projects shipped late: While I'm not mentioned in the article, the accompanying interactive graphic rates the lateness of the 50 biggest KS moneymakers. f you click on my box, you can see some more quotes from me. I'm in the "slightly tardy" category, mostly because the reprints themselves have shipped, even if the digital goods that were promised haven't. Though I think the writer gave me too much credit on the delivery; she has me listed as fulfilling in May, when I told her we started fulfilling in May.
    Rich Burlew

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's ok that you are "slightly tardy". But if it happens again you will be retardy and we wouldn't want that would we?

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

Came across an offhand reference to the Order of the Stick at gamona.de, in an article about a Kickstarter project that missed its funding goal by $28.00. My German isn't good enough to decide if the characterization of Rich Burlew as an "unbekannte Designer" (unknown designer?) is accurate, though.
    http://www.gamona.de/games/internet,...s,2194164.html
    (Please note that gamona.de appears to conform to German standards of what's SFW, which are significantly looser than NSFW standards in the USA.)

Rich and The Most Famous Thumb in Webcomics are also mentioned in this article on Forbes.com:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/suwcharm...omise-breaker/

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gamera View Post
    Came across an offhand reference to the Order of the Stick at gamona.de, in an article about a Kickstarter project that missed its funding goal by $28.00. My German isn't good enough to decide if the characterization of Rich Burlew as an "unbekannte Designer" (unknown designer?) is accurate, though.
    (Please note that gamona.de appears to conform to German standards of what's SFW, which are significantly looser than NSFW standards in the USA.)

Rich and The Most Famous Thumb in Webcomics are also mentioned in this article on Forbes.com:
    Well, they are talking in the article about designers whose Kickstarter failed so Rich is listed under unknown desinger who was successful (although they mention that it might be because he writes in the well known DnD universe).

I wouldn't expect him in the designer categorie, though, more under author or drawer.
    Avatar by the great Lord Herman. Many, many thanks!
    Empress Catherine by Dr. Bath!
    Castaras made the PiratZarrrrr. Thank you very much!
    Special thanks to Banjo1985 for the Catstronomer.

Squid Bones: They exist!

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Barbarian in the Playground

On the Origin of PCs can be seen in one of the slides for Kickstarter's Best of 2012.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

Gygax Magazine wrote a contributor spotlight about Rich Burlew in this Facebook post.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Pixie in the Playground

I don't know if this is where I should put this but it looks like OOTS is in a contest on ComicM!x's march madness tournament. I usually am just a lurker but I thought everyone would like to go over and support it.

http://www.comicmix.com/mix-march-ma...cs-tournament/

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sylesstra View Post
    I don't know if this is where I should put this but it looks like OOTS is in a contest on ComicM!x's march madness tournament. I usually am just a lurker but I thought everyone would like to go over and support it.
    Rich has asked people not to vote for OotS on comic websites.

16. - Top - End - #196

I remember when this came up last year I wasn't sure whether this quote should be applicable to the ComicMix tournament. (It's not really a top webcomics list... it's just a yearly contest thing.) On the other hand, when I remember how that ComicMix tournament ultimately went down, I recall having come to the conclusion that staying away had been the better advice in any case. The contest should have been a fun way to vote for your favorites and get exposed to some new comics. People took it extremely seriously, bashed the competition relentlessly, there were allegations of cheating, and one confrontation in particular got absolutely hideous and exploded way beyond the boundaries of the original boards. I wound up having a lowered opinion of several comics based on some of the shenanigans that went down during that ridiculous contest, some I hadn't read and some I had. It looks like they have more stringent policies in place this time around, but still, it hardly seems worth it.

On their board I can read that the author of last year's winner, Gunnerkrigg Court, specifically asked not to be in the contest this year because of last year's terribleness. I wonder if Thunt from Goblins did the same, I don't think it's on the list.
    Last edited by B. Dandelion; 2013-03-17 at 09:46 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gamera View Post

I feel like if I were that close to my funding goal, I'd pledge to my own project.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by B. Dandelion View Post
    On their board I can read that the author of last year's winner, Gunnerkrigg Court, specifically asked not to be in the contest this year because of last year's terribleness. I wonder if Thunt from Goblins did the same, I don't think it's on the list.
    The Goblins boards have been lost and reborn recently, but I remember Thunt expressing a desire not to be in that event before the crash.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaEV6ae2Zjc
    Guess who got on the youtube page?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

20. - Top - End - #200

Do references in other webcomics count?

21. - Top - End - #201
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

OOTS featured in article about webcomics in April edition of The Ryder (http://theryder.com/), an arts and popular culture magazine in Bloomington, IN. This edition is not yet available on-line, but should be in a few weeks.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have started a 'Countdown to Gen Con' page on facebook. To bridge that gap for those who can't wait.
    Every day, I plan to release a 'Countdown to Gen Con' card game card.

So far for the intro, now the on-topic bit:

The Order of the Stick makes the first Countdown to Gen Con card : #100 (we are counting down to 0).

To see the card, and to like, dislike, comment, or otherwise participate, visit :
    https://www.facebook.com/CountdownToGenCon

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

As noted above, I made an OOTS card for my Countdown to Gen Con project on facebook.

See for the card : https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=494721367262590

When I placed it online I had not considered that I should have asked Rich permission to use the artwork for the card. I should possibly have pulled it offline then, but I was reluctant to do so as I had only just started my project and hoped to yet obtain permission.

Instead, I immediately sent a message to Rich (using the site's contact form) to ask for permission to keep it online, with the intent to replace the art (i.e. with a suggested allowed image, or a photograph of my OotS books) or replace the card (with another webcomic) if permission is not given.

Obviously my project's start was rather clumsy and I sincerely apologize for using the art without obtaining permission first. I hope people can look past the slight (including that I so far kept the card online).
    The upside of this is that I have, since then, asked permission for all cases where art, photograps by others, or a personal portrait was used in my project.

I hope a post here can increase my chances to obtain a (hopefully positive) answer, to which I will react immediately. If I don't receive a reaction before the countdown ends, I will replace the art on the card at the end of the run.

Sincerely,

Pierre van Rooden

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

After some consideration, I have decided to not await the end of the countdown.
    It is not all that likely that I will receive permission to use the art, so it seems proper to not continue to use it. I have instead opted to include a photograph of my OotS collection, as here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=519860531415340

It's not as cool as an actual OotS image, but a bit more illustrative than my 'plan C' (which was a photograph of crayons). I also added Rich's copyright to the card.

I hope this falls within fair use and that it satisfies any requirements for copyright.

Apologies to everyone, especially Rich, for the earlier infraction.
    Last edited by The Doctor; 2013-07-01 at 07:50 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Businessinsider has a list of the 13 most successfull Kickstarter projects (actually: the top Kickstarter from each of the 13 categories), including the OoTS Reprint Drive: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-h...tarters-2013-7

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Not a Kickstarter thing but a media thing: Read This Comic: Rich Burlew's "Order Of The Stick"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

27. - Top - End - #207

Added to the first page. One of the only actual analyses of the story that I've ever seen from professional media.
    Rich Burlew

28. - Top - End - #208
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Added to the first page. One of the only actual analyses of the story that I've ever seen from professional media.
    Yup, that was a good read

29. - Top - End - #209
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

There was the big thing on facebook aswell.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I run a web series called the Punchline, and The Order of the Stick was the subject of my most recent episode! Check it out, check out the rest of the series if you like this episode, and does somebody know of a way to send this to The Giant himself? I'd like to think he'd enjoy it.

http://blip.tv/comicstripcritic/the-...-stick-6722126
    I'm your Comic Strip Critic, and I read the funny pages in the hope that someday, they will be.
    www.youtube.com/comicstripcritic