New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: In a zombie apocalpyse

As a throwing weapon? Going to cause minimal damage, not going to take a zombie out. Probably not worth bothering with unless desperate, or you have enough height to take advantage of that.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd either be the leader, or comic relief. Probably both.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    As a throwing weapon? Going to cause minimal damage, not going to take a zombie out. Probably not worth bothering with unless desperate, or you have enough height to take advantage of that.
    Yeah, I was sorta thinking from above, too, since that gets more velocity. I forgot to mention that for some reason.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm the guy that does the emotionally hard stuff. Convinces people to leave the infected or the crippled behind. Shoots the infected children. Or... you know, the non-infected children, if it's a scenario from that particularly nasty issue of The Crossed. I say stuff like "Look, we can't help them. We've got enough problems of our own. It's probably an ambush, anyway."

I doubt I'm physically or mentally capable enough to be one of the real survivors, but if I adapt more quickly than others, maybe I can get an early advantage.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    You know how they say soldier 10s can kill Zed just by squintin' at 'em? It's true, 'cause in Rebuild 2 you can equip them with weapons, but their total score can never go higher than 10, so adding a weapon does nothing useful when they get to that point, and if you send them out to kill zombies, no matter how many zombies there are, from merely hazardous to completely overrun, you can send in four soldier 10s, unarmed, and have 0% chance of getting killed. "You are no match for my Kung Fu!".

Recently, I've been wanting to buy D20 Modern or GURPS 4e + GURPS 4e modern books, and play a zombie apocalypse game. It would be great for planning this stuff in real life too, since you could use most of the crazy rigs you come up with.
    Yeah that is nice to know. On the other hand I rarely give out items even when I have them so. Eh.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlyJohnny View Post
    I'm the guy that does the emotionally hard stuff. Convinces people to leave the infected or the crippled behind. Shoots the infected children. Or... you know, the non-infected children, if it's a scenario from that particularly nasty issue of The Crossed. I say stuff like "Look, we can't help them. We've got enough problems of our own. It's probably an ambush, anyway."

I doubt I'm physically or mentally capable enough to be one of the real survivors, but if I adapt more quickly than others, maybe I can get an early advantage.
    And I would be the idiot who tries to help anyway.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Braaaiiinsss

I can't believe no one has used that yet in this thread. I pick "Sarge plan #37" from RvsB, knowingly infect myself just to devour others.
    "One useless man is called a disgrace, two are called a law firm and three or more become a congress."
    John Adams (lawyer, congressman, 2nd President of the USA)
    I participated!
    Typical of a non-spellcaster to think so linearly............But it's a line.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

I literally have my crowbar within arm's reach right now.
    Jude P.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I guess, in a zombie apocolypse, me and all the other NZers will sit here, close the borders, and continue life as is :P

9. - Top - End - #69

@^ What if the biggest city of every country has every person there turn into zombies? What then?
    @Skavensrule Assuming obvious signs of being a zombie before becoming contagious then your only option would to ba another rotting face in the horde.
    If not then everyone's dead anyway.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WyvernLord View Post
    @^ What if the biggest city of every country has every person there turn into zombies? What then?
    Alright then, if we're assuming that, I have plenty of time to get stuff set up. I'm not sure if that would be NYC, LA, or DC, but it doesn't matter since I'm good. I'd help build a wall surrounding my city. Barbed wire and spikes, lots of it. Zed don't feel pain, but you can't move when you're ripped to shreds!
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

11. - Top - End - #71

Question: What happens if animals get bitten by zombies in this version of a outbreak? Do they die, get turned, no effect, ect? If any of these apply in which animals might be usefull, I happen to both walk several large dogs (think great danes,here.) and also happen to basicly spend several hours a week working during the summer at the local zoo. In that case, I could probably supply six well-trained large dogs, along with whatever animals don't get loose during the outbreak. While, say, elephants are not usefull at all to a surviver, zombie elephants sound very, very hard to get rid of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Question: What happens if animals get bitten by zombies in this version of a outbreak? Do they die, get turned, no effect, ect? If any of these apply in which animals might be usefull, I happen to both walk several large dogs (think great danes,here.) and also happen to basicly spend several hours a week working during the summer at the local zoo. In that case, I could probably supply six well-trained large dogs, along with whatever animals don't get loose during the outbreak. While, say, elephants are not usefull at all to a surviver, zombie elephants sound very, very hard to get rid of.
    I've always liked the idea(since I read it in the Newsflesh series by Mira Grant) that any animal over say..40lbs, can be turned, and can in turn infect others. I'm not the OP of this thread though, so that would be up to him to add that into this scenario, but I would certainly be an advocate of it.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    I've always liked the idea(since I read it in the Newsflesh series by Mira Grant) that any animal over say..40lbs, can be turned, and can in turn infect others. I'm not the OP of this thread though, so that would be up to him to add that into this scenario, but I would certainly be an advocate of it.
    Zombie sponges! Oh god the horror! The horror!
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DvsV View Post
    I guess, in a zombie apocolypse, me and all the other NZers will sit here, close the borders, and continue life as is :P
    Didn't Black Sheep take place in your neck of the woods

I'd probably end up being support. I can fight alright, and I can hit a human-sized target with most types of guns, but I have skills that might make me a little more valuable to keep out of the direct line of fire (or gnawing, as the case may be).

Then I'd end up getting bitten while I had my back turned working on getting a door open or a car up and running.

15. - Top - End - #75

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Zombie sponges! Oh god the horror! The horror!
    If you play dwarf fortress, than this comment is even more hilarious/horrifing.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DvsV View Post
    So you'd be the madagascar of this particular situation?
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    So you'd be the madagascar of this particular situation?
    What does this reference again? I remember a zombie movie or something where the outbreak was tracked across the world, but Madagascar stayed inexplicably clean, but I can't remember the exact source. Zombieland?

I'd probably be some sort of scout. I've got some survival training, I'm a decent shot, and I don't mind being alone for long periods of time.

Either that or hole up on the roof of a fortified building with a crate of whiskey, my trusty 7mm Remington, and play the zombie-head-exploding game.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

18. - Top - End - #78
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The guy who ends up getting roped into finding out if these zombies bloodmist or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

The medic, trapmaker and speedy scavenger all in one.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmmm... Probably the guy who has a nervous breakdown after bottling up feelings of intense grief and fear for several months.
    Until then, I'll organise the trivia team and take over the job of official scribe.
    I'll see about getting someone to instruct me in aiming at things.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2012-02-24 at 05:24 AM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    What does this reference again? I remember a zombie movie or something where the outbreak was tracked across the world, but Madagascar stayed inexplicably clean, but I can't remember the exact source. Zombieland?
    I thought it was a reference to Pandemic 2 and how Madagascar is always the hardest country to infect in that game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Seriously. Every time someone posts a thread like this, the Giant kills a kitten. Please stop before he gets to Mr. Scruffy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    Recent studies have suggested that reading daily mail reduces the sodium content in your blood. As such, many leading doctors suggest taking it with a grain of salt.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

That game is so annoying! Why is Madagascar the only country with a sensible government?
    But it makes sense. If a plague of zombies spreads throughout North America, as they usually do, it'll spread to the places that are most commonly traveled to from there, which does not include Madagascar.
    But still, as a world ending plague, zombies just won't work. It's not transmittable enough. The closest real-world equivalent is rabies, and that is so hard to transmit from person to person. If that were more transmittable, the world would have already faced the plague of insanity and death.
    In conclusion, zombie plague kills millions, probably hundreds of millions, but life goes on.
    Ignore all that if you want, I started rambling.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

I'm a sharpshooter (or better) with an M16A2, M4, M249 (scary good with that, actually), M240-series, and Browning M2 .50-cal HMG. I used to be able to claim howitzers, but my gunner qual lapsed. I'm a Shadow operator now, and thus am able to provide aerial surveillance of the sort that makes senior officers squeal with glee. I'm proficient in hand-to-hand, both armed and unarmed, and excel at grappling (I'm a lightweight who rolls with heavyweights) - particularly not letting the enemy grab me. My experience also goes beyond mere training; suffice to say I do have nerve. I've lived and thrived in some of the worst environments this planet has to offer, including cold temperatures where the unacclimated will die in under an hour of exposure (went out in shorts and a tee-shirt, actually). My expertise is in urban and guerilla warfare: Where most fear to tread, my team and I will own the city.
    Yes, I said team. I am, unlike your average movie hero, a team player. Alone I am formiddable; together we are unbeatable.

I'd be doing in a zombie apocalypse what I do every day: Standing ready to defend those who cannot defend themselves.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

24. - Top - End - #84
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd likely be a planner...and then lunch after everything starts to fall apart (even more so, anyway). Zombie apocalypses are unkind.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    It's finally happened. The world has ended, and the dead are walking. You find yourself in a motley band of unlikely survivors. What is your role in this group?

Filmic:
    I'm the quiet one who reluctantly helps out the rest of the group slowly revealing he is actually a survivalist/prepper who has various skills he only reveals when plot necessary.

If it's my kind of Z-flick, then I save the day with a hand made bow, get the girl and fight off the zombie's on my isolated farmstead.

If it's the usual run of hollywood, then by being a prepper, interested in weapons and knowing first aid, I'm automatically to be suspected, and I probably betray the lead to steal the girl and get eaten by the horde.

In reality:
    If I've had to join a motley band of unlikely survivors, my plan has gone completely wrong.
    Necromunda Total War:IC
    Necromunda Total War:OC

Spoiler
    Show
    Brair Freeman of Tariola, 4 levels of Ranger.
    Amiri Pakeha Khan, M.Eng Ship's mechanic.

And I'll dance to Tom Payne's bones,
    Dance to Tom Payne's bones,
    Dance in the oldest boots I own,
    to the rhythm of Tom Payne's bones.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

I would like to think I would act as a scout/hunter and a maker of Rube Goldberg-esque machines of indiscriminate death. In reality, due to my frequent insomnia and related haggard appearance, I would probably be shot in the head by Solaris, mistaking me for one of the damned infected.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Considering certain factors (my weight, the proximity of my current residence to a major hospital and me suffering from a medical condition that untreated could prove fatal), I might as well start basting myself with barbeque sauce and call myself 'Lunch'.

If I survive that, however, I'd probably be the sniper. With a gun and an elevated position I could help thin the number of roamers getting our way - all while quoting lines from the classics. If in a desperate situation where one person has to stay behind, I'd be that guy, asking only for an axe and a gun to hold back the zombies while the rest of the group makes their escape. The last bullet would be for me.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    That game is so annoying! Why is Madagascar the only country with a sensible government?
    But it makes sense. If a plague of zombies spreads throughout North America, as they usually do, it'll spread to the places that are most commonly traveled to from there, which does not include Madagascar.
    But still, as a world ending plague, zombies just won't work. It's not transmittable enough. The closest real-world equivalent is rabies, and that is so hard to transmit from person to person. If that were more transmittable, the world would have already faced the plague of insanity and death.
    In conclusion, zombie plague kills millions, probably hundreds of millions, but life goes on.
    Ignore all that if you want, I started rambling.
    Better way of handwaving it: The initial outbreak started as a contagion vi a highly exported substance like, say, a fruit or a grain. Hence, evil, evil rice or corn or something in a main growing region could feasbly spread it around before anyone knows about the effects about a few days after eating.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89

BardGuy

Depends on where I am / who I'm with. And where on the sliding scales of Idealism vs. Cynicism and Silliness vrs. Seriousness we are.

With my friends up at college, I've got about a 50/50 shot at being killed off first if we're going for serious and cynical. If I survive that, I'd probably survive. I'd be the optimistic one, hoping for a better world if I survive. If I died, I would have shown that people can/will die and probably be the first death.

With my friends from home? Probably live. I'd organize everyone, take a leadership role for the very beginning. After that it depends. Idealistic world, I remain one of the leaders, everything is happy. Cynical world? As soon as someone is competent enough to take over leadership, I die protecting everyone else.

No matter what, I'd start losing sleep, and be the guy who would kill himself to protect the group, and becomes paranoid that something will happen. But, I hopefully wouldn't show it, cause I'd feel like I need to be an example to everyone and want to show everything will be ok.
    Last edited by smashbro; 2012-02-24 at 08:55 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

It can go one of two ways, depending on how I feel. where I live is so far in the middle of nowhere that I'd probably have some time between the outbreak and and major infestations in my area. This will allow me time to barricade/fortify my house (already have plans on how) which will, hopefully, let me survive the first part of it. Then, either try to set up a subsistence lifestyle in the middle of nowhere (like the rest of my family likely would), or (more likely) me and my friends will just start travelling around, looking for zombies to kill. It's always been something we both thought would be epic. (both to travel all over the place, and to kill zombies)

Go Tigers!