New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: In a zombie apocalpyse

I plan to get my family and get to the mountains. make whatever we need, raid small ghost towns for items, stop for nothing farther than the arms reach. escaping while there are other survivors fighting.

Once out I will be the wilderness guy, the ranger. use no doubt a knife as that's what in my pocket, but I will surely get a baseball bat or machete or maybe even a .22 rimfire with a homemade silencer. certainly not some heavy assault rifle that will have far less available rounds.

I don't plan to find zombies. I plan to escape them. I will be a coward. If I see them near the home base I will slaughter. Anywhere else I hide and run.
    thanks to Vrythas for the Venser avatar!

Die Again, a Zombie Survival RPG

2. - Top - End - #92
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pokonic View Post
    Better way of handwaving it: The initial outbreak started as a contagion vi a highly exported substance like, say, a fruit or a grain. Hence, evil, evil rice or corn or something in a main growing region could feasbly spread it around before anyone knows about the effects about a few days after eating.
    Someone enjoyed his Warcraft 3 human campaign! "The Damned stand ready!"
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #93

NecromancerGuy

Problem with that is that in such a case, either A. it's negligible or extremely localized or B. the only survivors are vegans or some other group that has dietary restrictions that keep them from eating something that *everybody* eats, and that last one is just no fun.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-02-25 at 12:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #94

I would be with a bunch of friends, all of whom are fairly savvy with wilderness survival. We all work together really well so I imagine we would scavenge what we could and retreat into the wilderness. I would serve along with the rest of them to scavenge food, build shelter, navigate, etc. I believe I have had more experience with guns than any of the rest of them, and I fancy myself a rather good shot, especially with a light shotgun, so I imagine that would be my specialty.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

[QUOTE=the humanity;12786379]Once out I will be the wilderness guy, the ranger. use no doubt a knife as that's what in my pocket, but I will surely get a baseball bat or machete or maybe even a .22 rimfire with a homemade silencer. certainly not some heavy assault rifle that will have far less available rounds.QUOTE]

5.56mm is one of the most common rounds in the world, right alongside the 7.62mm (both Soviet and NATO). Ma Deuce is the only practical weapon in our arsenal of crew-served weapons that you really can't arm with off-the-shelf ammunition (provided you scavenge your links, of course).

I do have to chuckle at everyone saying they'll assume a leadership role. Too many chiefs gets the tribe eaten.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    I do have to chuckle at everyone saying they'll assume a leadership role. Too many chiefs gets the tribe eaten.
    That's the problem with a power vacuum. Once the current regime is eaten, everyone and their grandmother starts grabbing for power. It's the old zombie movie adage: your worst enemy are not the zombies, it's other people.
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2012-02-25 at 07:15 AM.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Don't worry. I'll be fine as official scribe.
    Control over knowledge shall give me power in the long run!
    *evil laughter*
    Seriously, someone has to take the minutes for our meetings.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

8. - Top - End - #98

NecromancerGuy

I imagine that is the fundamental problem with anarcho-zombism, yeah, everyone wants to be the despot, which leads to fragmentation and inter-tribal warfare amongst the nascent seeds for rebuilding culture.

I figure I'm most likely either zombie chow or going to get enslaved by a group of raiders if I last long enough, at least, at present where I have a number of skills and physical traits which would be useful mostly for hauling or transporting supplies or tending to a garden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I imagine that is the fundamental problem with anarcho-zombism, yeah, everyone wants to be the despot, which leads to fragmentation and inter-tribal warfare amongst the nascent seeds for rebuilding culture.
    Yeah, i noticed that. Also a loyal and hard working lacky here.

10. - Top - End - #100

Lightbulb Re: In a zombie apocalpyse

I think I'm better as a second or third, or maybe an adviser type thing. Ideas and helping make things happen.

You know, when I'm not cowering in fear and/or getting disemboweled.

I am actually liking the sound of this Cambrae thing. In land-locked Armidale, we decided the local Bunnings was the place to go: big, sturdy building; lots of building materials and stuff to make weapons with; surrounded by an open field; lots of seeds for long-term food; and so on.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Become a zombie. Might as well be on the winning side.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    Become a zombie. Might as well be on the winning side.
    *Headshots*

*Walks on*
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    *Headshots*

*Walks on*
    I'm a zombie. What do I care?

14. - Top - End - #104

RedKnightGirl

I'll be the one who starts planning how to propagate the species with the limited number of survivors available while maintaining the widest possible genetic variety.

a.k.a. the one who goes: "Congratulations, male#11, you have successfully impregnated female#27. Next on your list - checks clipboard - would be female#05, but she's still nursing female#05-13. However, I see that female#17 has just become available, so tally-ho!"
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by An Enemy Spy View Post
    I'm a zombie. What do I care?
    "There are exactly two ways to kill Zed: Chop off their head, or burn them to a crisp."

So they apparently still need their brain.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-02-25 at 05:16 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

16. - Top - End - #106
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the humanity View Post
    I don't plan to find zombies. I plan to escape them. I will be a coward. If I see them near the home base I will slaughter. Anywhere else I hide and run.
    My plan. I see no reason to go looking for trouble. I'd probably be the type to freak the **** out because I'm terrified of zombies lay low with my crowbar in hand, move around when necessary to find food and drink, avoid trouble. Maybe try to meet up with a couple of friends who would also do alright in a survival situation. It would be nice to have somebody to watch my back, and I would like to have somebody to keep watch while I sleep.

I don't want to be a leader, but I also don't want to stick with a large group until the zombie infestation starts to die down and we get to rebuilding society. I'd probably be alright as a leader if necessary, but I'd also be so freaked out during the zombie apocalypse to trust myself not to kill my teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    "There are exactly two ways to kill a zombie: Chop off their head, or burn them to a crisp."

So they apparently still need their brain.
    But zombies don't have very much in the way of thoughts. I doubt zombies sit around philosophizing about death and the afterlife.

Just a question, but are these zombies the type that starve to death in a few weeks without humans and stuff to eat, or do they remain animated for decades even without any flesh left? Even with sustenance, how quickly do they decay to the point of being unable to move?
    Jude P.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Assuming my wife and baby have survived and are with the group, I'll be the diplomat, group counselor, secondary outdoorsman and melee defender. I'll also be the guy who raids a pharmacy for a five year supply of 175mcg Levothyroxine at the first opportunity.

If not, I'll be the very grimdark melee heavy.

In both cases I can also handle any carpentry, boating, cooking and electrical work. Do not use me for stealth missions. While agile, my big feet manage to find every creaky board available.
    Homebrew World: Daera - high fantasy setting on a world without humans
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If the world was a Hollywood movie, Overdrive would be the protagonist.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taffimai View Post
    I'll be the one who starts planning how to propagate the species with the limited number of survivors available while maintaining the widest possible genetic variety.

a.k.a. the one who goes: "Congratulations, male#11, you have successfully impregnated female#27. Next on your list - checks clipboard - would be female#05, but she's still nursing female#05-13. However, I see that female#17 has just become available, so tally-ho!"
    Inbreeding ahoy!

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by OverdrivePrime View Post
    Assuming my wife and baby have survived and are with the group, I'll be the diplomat, group counselor, secondary outdoorsman and melee defender. I'll also be the guy who raids a pharmacy for a five year supply of 175mcg Levothyroxine at the first opportunity.

If not, I'll be the very grimdark melee heavy.

In both cases I can also handle any carpentry, boating, cooking and electrical work. Do not use me for stealth missions. While agile, my big feet manage to find every creaky board available.
    Unfortunately levothyroxine doesn't have a five-year shelf life, if I recall correctly. Kind of stinks for folks with thyroid disorders...which I probably will develop in the next couple of years, based on family history.
    Jude P.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

While I am most likely to prosper in a leadership/strategic role, in a situation where I have unexpectedly survived the apocalypse and joined a band of fellow survivors, none of whom I know, I am nowhere near assertive enough to assume that position, assuming there's anybody there who thinks they know what they're doing. Unless I figured my survival was invaluable to the group, the chances are I'd end up sacrificing myself in some pointless fashion.

In a situation where you have even a short time (a couple of hours) to prepare, I'd execute my apocalypse survival strategy and assemble my own team of trusted friends and associates. In that situation I'd be much better at exercising my authority and judgment and taking on a leadership role. I don't know whether I'd have what it takes to lead the group for a long time but I could at least establish enough of a reputation for usefulness as a decision-maker to be kept around.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Unfortunately levothyroxine doesn't have a five-year shelf life, if I recall correctly. Kind of stinks for folks with thyroid disorders...which I probably will develop in the next couple of years, based on family history.
    Crap. With my 'no thyroid' flaw I kinda need those little pills in order to stay vertical. Hopefully we can get a pharma lab up and running before my meds fail me.
    Homebrew World: Daera - high fantasy setting on a world without humans
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If the world was a Hollywood movie, Overdrive would be the protagonist.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Melee and overseer of stationary fort defenses, assuming we go with fortifying a defensive position rather than nomadic-tribe format.. I've got functional weapons for when all y'all's bullets run out and zombies don't need -much- armouring against; just stop them breaking the skin.

With a bunch of people with carpentry and welding skills, I can set up a plan for standard grounded pike defenses, we've got enough people that we can dig spike-pits, I've got a pattern or two for various forms of ballistae and catapault around here somewhere. We construct sniper platforms and towers, and if there's any masonry-oriented folks out there, walls with wall-mounted ballistae, and catapaults behind them.
    Regular avatar by Dallas-Dakota.
    -----------
    Regarding mysellf:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Pretty sure that Anuan is the local weapons pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt View Post
    Anuan's house is a HOUSE OF DEATH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas-Dakota View Post
    I'd go to his house and steal all the awesome.
    But I'm afraid I'd accidentally stab myself to death.

23. - Top - End - #113

5.56mm is one of the most common rounds in the world, right alongside the 7.62mm (both Soviet and NATO). Ma Deuce is the only practical weapon in our arsenal of crew-served weapons that you really can't arm with off-the-shelf ammunition (provided you scavenge your links, of course).

The sheer amount of .22 ammo even Wal-mart will carry compared to other ammo will make it the best. Also, being lighter in ammo means I can carry more of it without straining myself. There is a difference between 'available' and 'always available'.

The .22 has a reputation for being a weak, childrens gun. It feels like a toy. It lacks range compared to larger weapons. Veterans would rather grab a heavier gun. It will simply be more available. When your goal is to minimize risk, a .22 is better.

plus the guns are also far more available. why be caught with 5 pounds of ammo that only fit one gun in the nearby area, that just happens to be the one you broke on the zombie that snuck up behind you?
    thanks to Vrythas for the Venser avatar!

Die Again, a Zombie Survival RPG

24. - Top - End - #114
    Banned

In a zombie acopcalypse, dead flesh eats you.
    get it?

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

I've got plenty of weapons, lots of space to retreat into wilderness, some basic survival skills and enough smarts to not do anything extremely dumb.

So, I'd grab as much stuff, especially food, as possible, a few books, drive a van to the wilds, build a zombie-proof shelter on an island and wait it out. It depends on the zombie type whether this is feasible. I don't really know anyone I'd trust enough to take with me, though having a friend or two around would make things easier in some respects. I don't really need company, though.

Depending on what the zeds are like and how they track people, I imagine that I wouldn't have to contend with too many of them on an island in the middle of a lake in the middle of nowhere. Especially with deep winter snows that usually impede the living dead somewhat - I'd saw open the ice and such.

So basically, my role in a group is that I'd avoid getting placed into a group.
    Last edited by Murska; 2012-02-25 at 10:29 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by lamech View Post
    Trusting Murska worked out great!
    Quote Originally Posted by happyturtle View Post
    A Murska without lies is like a day without sunshine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I say we completely leave our fate in the hands of the trustworthy Murska and continue in complete safety.

26. - Top - End - #116

Personally I'm a decent shot (I can usually hit within a fifteen centimeter radius from twenty feet or so with a .45; haven't had much practice in any other settings). But I hate guns and ranged weapons in general, and besides, they require ammo. Reach weapons are cool; I'd love to learn how to use a meteor well, and the halberd is fun (though not particularly long, come to think of it). My style is close-range bludgeoning, regardless of how much more dangerous that is against critters than can kill you with a minor wound. Hence crowbar. And I guess a heavy leather jacket and gloves, maybe a ski mask or something, to minimize exposed skin.
    Jude P.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

The sheer amount of .22 ammo even Wal-mart will carry compared to other ammo will make it the best. Also, being lighter in ammo means I can carry more of it without straining myself. There is a difference between 'available' and 'always available'.
    And you'll need more. It's part of the problem of the 5.56mm - sure, I can carry twice as many, but I have to shoot everything twice to make it die in a timely manner. I've seen a guy take four 5.56mm rounds before he even went down, then take two more to stay down. Zombies are traditionally tougher to take down than the living, unless you're someone familiar enough with firearms to be able to reliably take that headshot.

The .22 has a reputation for being a weak, childrens gun. It feels like a toy. It lacks range compared to larger weapons. Veterans would rather grab a heavier gun. It will simply be more available. When your goal is to minimize risk, a .22 is better.
    Are we talking rifle or pistol rounds? The pistol round, you might as well be popping off BBs for all the good it will do you at any ranges you care to be engaging at.
    If you're looking at small game, though, the .22 is the most useful thing you've got. That's what I'd use it for - but carrying fifty pounds doesn't bother me like it would most folks. It's nothing for me to slap an extra eight-pound weapon on my pack... especially considering I'm with a team of four to twelve fit men who can split loads.

Relying on salvage is a terrible idea. If you're looking to minimize risk, get a crossbow or a shotgun. You can manufacture shotgun ammo relatively easily. Heck, if you're feeling froggy, let's not ignore the possibility of a muzzle-loader.

plus the guns are also far more available. why be caught with 5 pounds of ammo that only fit one gun in the nearby area, that just happens to be the one you broke on the zombie that snuck up behind you?
    If you manage to break an M16A2/A4, you deserve to be eaten. I've used one as a baseball bat before (grab it by the barrel, beat target vigorously with pistol grip/stock end) and it still functions perfectly fine as a firearm. They only really jam if you're deliberately mistreating them or using really, really old weapons that should have been retired after the first Gulf War.
    That aside, I'll reiterate that weapons using 5.56mm and 7.62mm ammo are really quite common. In the end, it's what you're most comfortable with. Having a thousand rounds and twenty M16A2s doesn't matter if you can't shoot the thing to save your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    No kidding. I may only be third grunt on the left, uncredited in the movie and recognized only by my mother in the fifteen seconds I have on-screen, but me and my buddies would survive while the Lone Hero would get eaten.
    What can I say? I'm a professional. Amateur heroics stopped being cute a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    So basically, my role in a group is that I'd avoid getting placed into a group.
    "Ew, what happened here?"
    "Dysentery."
    "Burn the shack to the ground, let's call this island clear and go home."

Or even better...

"Seriously? There's no guard on this li'l island in the middle of the lake that we can row to and the zombies can just walk to on the lakebed?"
    "Time to loot and pillage!"
    "Remember: Pillage, then burn."
    "I can never keep those two straight..."

Both are situations that a buddy can alleviate.

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    And I guess a heavy leather jacket and gloves, maybe a ski mask or something, to minimize exposed skin.
    Come to think of it, if a zombie's not much stronger than an ordinary human that would pretty much be all the protection you need. Even jeans are surprisingly difficult to bite through.
    Last edited by Solaris; 2012-02-26 at 08:19 AM.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

28. - Top - End - #118

Come to think of it, if a zombie's not much stronger than an ordinary human that would pretty much be all the protection you need. Even jeans are surprisingly difficult to bite through.
    Well, I'd guess that a fresh zombie is stronger than a human because the mental limiters that stop the body from hurting itself are gone. But then they'll quickly tear all their muscles, and because they're dead and decaying, they won't heal, so they'll be weaker than humans pretty soon.
    And remember, they also have hands, not that they're particularly coordinated. So you also have to worry about one of them managing to tug your jacket partially off or something.
    Jude P.

29. - Top - End - #119

Ive had my skin torn and bleeding through clothing before. If a zombie gets its teeth on you, even the saliva it leaves behind might be enough once it soaks through the material if it skinned you. Remember, it doesnt take a 3 inch chunk of flesh getting torn off to cause infection.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Ive had my skin torn and bleeding through clothing before. If a zombie gets its teeth on you, even the saliva it leaves behind might be enough once it soaks through the material if it skinned you. Remember, it doesnt take a 3 inch chunk of flesh getting torn off to cause infection.
    True...I've gotten cuts many times through clothing without the clothing tearing. Like that time last winter when I ran through a field of frozen snow and shredded the skin on my shins pushing through the inch-thick layer of ice on the surface of the snow. (OH NO I USED ENGLISH MEASUREMENTS WHAT'S HAPPENING TO ME DARN YOU AMERICAN PEERS.) (I'm on some mild opioids for pain right now, please excuse my previous outburst.)
    Jude P.