New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: LGBTAitP - Part 21: BLACKJACK!

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    Even me?
    Yes, even you.

@TheSuccubus I concur! But given your new avatar, wouldn't it be the Inccubus?

@KenderWizard thanks for being proud

@noparlf it so is! I love this thread sequence!
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Kender is your sweet and adorable little sister and I'm the creepy energy draining uncle!
    Ooh! Dibs on badass big sister that everyone refers to in masculine terms in the Japanese version!

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Has this been linked here before?
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, that's awesome supernerd. And tons of hugs for Arachu.
    Asta posted that about... Two threads ago? Pretty sure it was more than two weeks ago... I wanna say it was before Toni did my nails...

*Hugs* It's more tolerable now, but my mom's decided that my dad's cheated on her again and I can hear them bickering from down here... :/

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Tough weekends are a pain. I have "Organic Chem Hell Week" coming up. Problem set due Friday, then the exam is this weekend. And I didn't have a chance to study or do any work over break due to wisdom teeth surgery and painkillers. Even better, I just got back to school yesterday and I'm already feeling sick, so I either caught something (from where? I've been in my room all week) or I'm actually manifesting withdrawal symptoms after only a week on a low dose of oxycodone.
    So I feel ya. Sympathy *hugs* and have a nice break from class!
    Gah, and I'm stressed over a couple of graphing tricks I can eventually work around anyway. *hugs*

I'd offer to help, but I haven't studied Biochemistry nearly as much as I've been meaning to (nevermind Organic in general)...

Which reminds me - there's silicon-based life? Where was I for this memo...

Quote Originally Posted by supernerd View Post
    Yes, even you.
    Yay!

@TheSuccubus I concur! But given your new avatar, wouldn't it be the Inccubus?
    Depends on the myth - they could be opposites, they could be unrelated or they could be the same thing changing back and forth.
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

3. - Top - End - #183
    Firbolg in the Playground

Which reminds me - there's silicon-based life? Where was I for this memo...
    Well, not technically. Diatoms do produce shells made of silicon, but there aren't any terrestrial life-forms that are actually silicon-based. It's hypothetically possible, but there are several issues with silicon that would tend to make it unlikely.
    There are the horta. But apparently Star Trek is fictional.
    Jude P.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Well, not technically. Diatoms do produce shells made of silicon, but there aren't any terrestrial life-forms that are actually silicon-based. It's hypothetically possible, but there are several issues with silicon that would tend to make it unlikely.
    There are the horta. But apparently Star Trek is fictional.
    No! It can't be true! You have shattered my whole world view! *cowers in the corner in the fetal position with hands covering ears*
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

5. - Top - End - #185

Quote Originally Posted by supernerd View Post
    No! It can't be true! You have shattered my whole world view! *cowers in the corner in the fetal position with hands covering ears*
    Well, if it is nonfictional, it happened in a parallel universe where we had a eugenics war in the '90s and where noise can travel in space.
    But I feel ya. I was traumatised when I first found out too.
    Jude P.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Since I have badly failed at keeping Internet silence I might as well come back entirely. And there's no thread on the Internet that I would rather call home than this. Ironic, since it's not about 'people like me' at all. Maybe the world would be better if we stopped talking in terms of 'people like me' and 'people not like me' and just talked about people.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Hey so after Asta's awesome Prestige Class, I thought that what better way to celebrate Pride Day this year than by making a Base Class called the "Queer." I called it this to be generic and therfore able to be used by any LGBT, in which the first level Class Feature is the character's Identity. It has Bard casting progression plus 1 SPD for each level. and it is rather bardy in it's roll (providing support/buffs, arcane healing, transmutation and illusion based). *looks at my avatar* who would have guessed my first legitimate homebrew turned out Bard-y? however for combat efficiency, I'm thinking of giving it At Will Whirling Blade as an SLA for purposes of dealing damage, and then at higher levels (15-20 not sure where) making it Auto Quickened. it has auras the reflect the Pride spirit, and it has Assume Identity at ~4th level(i'm not looking at it right now) for confidence/starting transition. it should come out fairly fun. I would like to ask for ideas of higher level class features. It has Bard progession Inspire Courage type thing, and has skill bonuses on certain skills, which increase if the check involves their or another Queer's Identity.

I'm also Planning to give it immunity to death effects at higher levels. if i could get ideas, that would be great. I would also like to ask when Gay Pride Day is this year...

Edit: Welcome Back Asta! *great big hugs* if you look to the previous page you will see where you are part of my Third Family
    Last edited by supernerd; 2012-02-27 at 09:40 PM.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    Since I have badly failed at keeping Internet silence I might as well come back entirely. And there's no thread on the Internet that I would rather call home than this. Ironic, since it's not about 'people like me' at all. Maybe the world would be better if we stopped talking in terms of 'people like me' and 'people not like me' and just talked about people.
    *hugs Asta*
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189

*also hugs Asta*

Edit: Almost forgot: Boys now reading as well as girls, study suggests

Wonder Woman lends her support to Mozambique campaign against breast cancer

Tangent:

I wonder if there has been a comic in which Wonder Woman is accused/outed to be lesbian, and she has to respond to that accusation. Oh, what am I thinking, of course there isn't, despite Fredric Wertham's accusations of her and other superheroes' "perversions".*

But it would be fun if DC Comics published one, especially now that the new Batwoman is lesbian. I'm not saying WW is a lesbian, just that she could have one of those inspiring speeches superheroes have some times.

* To be fair to Wertham, beside crusading against violence etc in comic books and television, he also worked against racial segregation in public schools. Also, William Moulton Marston, WW's creator, did make the comic something of a propaganda piece for femdom. Not that there is anything wrong with it.
    Last edited by H Birchgrove; 2012-02-27 at 11:54 PM.
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay for Asta coming back! *hugs*

In other news... I just watched the House episode where they had these... "asexuals". I am sad. That was a horrible depiction of asexuality.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

*hugs asta* Yay.
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

Pish tosh, Asta. These threads may not be about being nice and caring, but they're still filled with nice and caring people, and you're certainly not the least caring of us *hug*
    LGBTA+itP

Neat-looking avatar by Ninja Chocobo.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

It's saying things like that that makes you fit in so well here! Also, I'm glad you're back!

I was just reading something about that kind of idea the other day. Because if you think of oppression and -isms not in terms of "well, there's racism, plus there's also violence against trans people, plus I suppose old people and disabled people are often targets of abuse plus ... ", and instead of think of it as all interrelated, based on a culture where women's work is devalued, where people of the "wrong" skin colour are treated worse in the media, where old people and children are portrayed as useless, where parents are constantly made to be terrified they're doing everything wrong and aren't given the tools and the space to raise their children in the best possible way, where schools and allomothers (older people in the infant's life who look after them) aren't given the knowledge to pass on to children and tolerance and equality and all that... I'd call that imperfect, hierarchy-obsessed, intolerant side of our collective culture the "kyriarchy", and it's made up of just lots and lots of people not stopping to think about the fact that anyone else is more similar to themselves than different.

I firmly believe individuals do the best work against that kind of culture by focusing on one or two aspects, like I was first a feminist, and through feminism, I came to understand different kinds of privilege and that although I'm in the worse-off group for a bunch of things (a woman, queer, with an invisible disability), I also have a load of privilege that I have to try to be aware of (I'm white, middle-class, well-educated, cissexual, in a "straight" relationship, with a disability that is closer to "bothersome" than "debilitating"). And although I am first a feminist, that doesn't mean that I can push over someone else's struggles. The kyriarchy culture isn't bothered by activists who argue with one another about who's the "most" oppressed or what's "most important".

I think there is some injustice for everyone, and even if you're white, straight, male, cis, neurotypical, 25-40, upper-class, educated, currently able bodied, and every possible other thing, well, maybe your wife isn't and you could try listening to her about how hard it is to come from a working-class background and try fit in with all your friends. And once you understand the idea of injustice and privilege, you can try using your smart human brain to apply it to other situations. I know how hard it can be to be a woman in a male-dominated, male-centred environment. So if I'm talking to a woman who isn't white, who works in a woman-dominated field in Ireland, I don't have to say "Well, you think that's bad? At least you don't have to put up with sexism!", I can say "I can't completely understand, but I can relate. It must be hard that all your co-workers are white, and don't really understand what you have to put up with."

Far too long; didn't read - Injustice does discriminate, but generally hits everyone at some point or another. Instead of being selfish about the crap we have to put up with, we can use it to empathise with other people and that's the way to take the kyriarchy apart, one bigoted sentiment at a time.

Maybe I should stop using this place to write my essays.
    Maybe I should stop writing essays about the kyriarchy and start writing that essay about the uplift of the Andes that I'm actually supposed to write...

Quote Originally Posted by H Birchgrove View Post
    *also hugs Asta*

Edit: Almost forgot: Boys now reading as well as girls, study suggests
    That's so weird that you linked that, because I was just reading about girls being programmed not to do well at maths!

Btw, the study seems to use "mothers" and "parents" interchangeably, which is, like, a whole other problem. It seems like they just studied mothers, which is legitimate enough for control, although it would have been better if they'd studied a larger sample with as close to even as possible mothers and fathers and then they could compare them and combine them to have actually "parents". For all they know, fathers do the opposite, so "parents" as a group don't do this. But whatever.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    I was just reading something about that kind of idea the other day. Because if you think of oppression and -isms not in terms of "well, there's racism, plus there's also violence against trans people, plus I suppose old people and disabled people are often targets of abuse plus ... ", and instead of think of it as all interrelated, based on a culture where women's work is devalued, where people of the "wrong" skin colour are treated worse in the media, where old people and children are portrayed as useless, where parents are constantly made to be terrified they're doing everything wrong and aren't given the tools and the space to raise their children in the best possible way, where schools and allomothers (older people in the infant's life who look after them) aren't given the knowledge to pass on to children and tolerance and equality and all that... I'd call that imperfect, hierarchy-obsessed, intolerant side of our collective culture the "kyriarchy", and it's made up of just lots and lots of people not stopping to think about the fact that anyone else is more similar to themselves than different.
    Why do you think I called one of KenderWoman's enemies the Kyriarch?

I can report that you are joined now by Natalie Reed's alter ego Iris - the Rainbow Avenger. Although she mainly operates from Vancouver.

Iris – the Rainbow Avenger
    Background: Natalie discovered in her teens that she was a trans woman and has spent her life fighting the prejudice and hardships of trans people everywhere. When an experimental new super-estrogen gave her superpowers she took the fight to the streets of Vancouver.

Powers
    Dazzle: This is a rainbow colored beam that can blind people, sometimes permanently.
    Dysphoria Ray: This ray allows Iris to strike an opponent with the full force of gender dysphoria. At its strongest setting, it has driven people to suicide so she’s careful with that, but it remains one of her most powerful weapons.
    Hermaphromorph: Although she is loath to do so, Iris can change into male form to go undercover. She really hates to do this, but it has saved her life.
    Martial Arts: Iris is a master of Jeet Kune Do and has won several tournaments.
    Secret Vault of Tranny* Wisdom: This is located in her secret base. The exact contents are hidden from the world, but in the past it has provided knowledge on a vast number of subjects.
    Strength: Iris can lift up to ten tons over her head.

*This is a joke phrase that arose during Natalie’s interview on the Godless Bitches podcast. It is not meant as an insult and Natalie has been cool with it in the past.

Weakness
    Name: If someone finds out her ‘boyname’ and uses it against her, that would be a powerful weapon.

Her arch-nemeses are the shadowy Kyriarch and the quite, quite insane Lord of the Cis.
    You can find MM stats for them here, together with a pretty good article and a minor flamewar. Among other things, Natalie is said to be on FtB as the 'token trans'.

Edit: Apparently there's a movement among Canadian LGBT communities to 'ditch the Ts' to get better public relations. Apparently they have never heard of pastor Niemöller...

First they came for the communists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,
    and I didn't speak out because I was Protestant.

Then they came for me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2012-02-28 at 10:53 AM.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, I've come across something like that before except it was in the form of a poem...

16. - Top - End - #196

Welcome back! *hugs*
    It probably would be a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by bluewind95 View Post
    Yay for Asta coming back! *hugs*

In other news... I just watched the House episode where they had these... "asexuals". I am sad. That was a horrible depiction of asexuality.
    Yeah. I kind of saw it coming from the beginning, though. The way the woman was describing it to the doctor seemed kind of artificial to me, even for an actress. (Or maybe they actually thought that was a good way of describing it?)

It's saying things like that that makes you fit in so well here! Also, I'm glad you're back!

I firmly believe individuals do the best work against that kind of culture by focusing on one or two aspects, like I was first a feminist, and through feminism, I came to understand different kinds of privilege and that although I'm in the worse-off group for a bunch of things (a woman, queer, with an invisible disability), I also have a load of privilege that I have to try to be aware of (I'm white, middle-class, well-educated, cissexual, in a "straight" relationship, with a disability that is closer to "bothersome" than "debilitating"). And although I am first a feminist, that doesn't mean that I can push over someone else's struggles. The kyriarchy culture isn't bothered by activists who argue with one another about who's the "most" oppressed or what's "most important".

I think there is some injustice for everyone, and even if you're white, straight, male, cis, neurotypical, 25-40, upper-class, educated, currently able bodied, and every possible other thing, well, maybe your wife isn't and you could try listening to her about how hard it is to come from a working-class background and try fit in with all your friends. And once you understand the idea of injustice and privilege, you can try using your smart human brain to apply it to other situations. I know how hard it can be to be a woman in a male-dominated, male-centred environment. So if I'm talking to a woman who isn't white, who works in a woman-dominated field in Ireland, I don't have to say "Well, you think that's bad? At least you don't have to put up with sexism!", I can say "I can't completely understand, but I can relate. It must be hard that all your co-workers are white, and don't really understand what you have to put up with."

Far too long; didn't read - Injustice does discriminate, but generally hits everyone at some point or another. Instead of being selfish about the crap we have to put up with, we can use it to empathise with other people and that's the way to take the kyriarchy apart, one bigoted sentiment at a time.
    I like it! I wish I had more to say right now, considering I did sleep pretty well last night, for a change, but all I can come up with is, "Yup, I agree completely."

Maybe I should stop writing essays about the kyriarchy and start writing that essay about the uplift of the Andes that I'm actually supposed to write...
    Don't do that! I like reading them.

That's so weird that you linked that, because I was just reading about girls being programmed not to do well at maths!

Btw, the study seems to use "mothers" and "parents" interchangeably, which is, like, a whole other problem. It seems like they just studied mothers, which is legitimate enough for control, although it would have been better if they'd studied a larger sample with as close to even as possible mothers and fathers and then they could compare them and combine them to have actually "parents". For all they know, fathers do the opposite, so "parents" as a group don't do this. But whatever.
    Interestingly, many of the girls in my math/science classes were the ones whose parents (often father, sometimes mother, occasionally both) were in the maths/sciences. So that study could have some validity, but does seem to have ignored paternal influences.

I can report that you are joined now by Natalie Reed's alter ego Iris - the Rainbow Avenger. Although she mainly operates from Vancouver.

You can find MM stats for them here, together with a pretty good article and a minor flamewar. Among other things, Natalie is said to be on FtB as the 'token trans'.

Edit: Apparently there's a movement among Canadian LGBT communities to 'ditch the Ts' to get better public relations. Apparently they have never heard of pastor Niemöller...
    See, it's nice when you're here! You have all kinds of good things to contribute.
    I remember that poem by Niemöller. My mother showed it to me, I think. (She currently teaches middle-school English at a Jewish private school, and she works stuff about morality and open-mindedness into her lessons. Most of the kids are from wealthy kind of right-wing families, and grow up around a lot of prejudice. My mum tries to give another perspective in her lessons.)
    Jude P.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Awesome! I'll go check it out! And I know you know of the shadowy evil of the Kyriarch, but "They" (because I'm pretty sure the Kyriarch is represented by the "They" of "They'll judge me" etc) are very good at staying unseen.

Also, ditching the T is pretty much what my essay was about.

I like it! I wish I had more to say right now, considering I did sleep pretty well last night, for a change, but all I can come up with is, "Yup, I agree completely."

Don't do that! I like reading them.

Interestingly, many of the girls in my math/science classes were the ones whose parents (often father, sometimes mother, occasionally both) were in the maths/sciences. So that study could have some validity, but does seem to have ignored paternal influences.
    Well, it's not surprising if I said everything you would have said. Maybe you should write the next essay! I'm glad you like reading them. Sometimes I think I should just make a blog and link things here when necessary. But first... Andes essay. Then, run games convention. Then, study for finals for two months, sit finals. Then sleep. Aaaaaaand then we'll see where we are.

I think that Niemöller poem should be written on the walls. Generally. Of everywhere.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

18. - Top - End - #198

Awesome! I'll go check it out! And I know you know of the shadowy evil of the Kyriarch, but "They" (because I'm pretty sure the Kyriarch is represented by the "They" of "They'll judge me" etc) are very good at staying unseen.

Well, it's not surprising if I said everything you would have said. Maybe you should write the next essay! I'm glad you like reading them. Sometimes I think I should just make a blog and link things here when necessary. But first... Andes essay. Then, run games convention. Then, study for finals for two months, sit finals. Then sleep. Aaaaaaand then we'll see where we are.

I think that Niemöller poem should be written on the walls. Generally. Of everywhere.
    If I weren't against the rampant graffiti here, I'd spend the rest of the day writing that poem all over the school. Instead, I think I'll just print it out a bazillion times and tape those all over the school.
    (I like how "bazillion" is in Firefox's dictionary but lots of real words aren't.)
    As for writing essays...I'm a decent writer, it's just slow and painful. I'm borderline dysgraphic, but only for certain concepts when I try to write them. It's weird.
    Jude P.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP - Part 21: BLACKJACK!

Ooh, I should do some participations as well, currently all I have done is draw kittens without saying much... Great Ceasar's Ghost! I'm the moony loony of LGBTAitp!

I have a niche! :3

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Ah, I've come across something like that before except it was in the form of a poem...
    I should read more poetry, those are some quite thought-provoking and well-written examples.

But now I have to fight the urge to illustrate them... Yet.

While I am biased by my complete agreement to everything you have said as well, I concur to the notion that you write very well and it would be missed should you stop.

The Andes are quite groovy, although far from as neat as the Alpes. [/VeryMuchNotBiasedBySkiingExperiences-Nope!]

I need to save those articles, arguing for that point is really difficult without studies at hand to show the correlation. Thanks to both of you for linking them!

The mother and parents thing is sadly rampant in Psychology. The proper term should be caretaker, but it is almost always assumed to be the mother. The gender segretation within the field* is quite sad. ;_;

On other notes:

*Glomps Aska and supernerd*

Whether home or family, we will try to be the best of both.

*As far as I know it. I am merely a teenage student, not a professional. ^_^'
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

That gender dysphoria ray has a dark real-life background by the way. Apparently it's not entirely uncommon that trans people attempt some DIY Sexual Reconstruction Surgery. People, don't do this. You'll end up performing Sexual Destruction Surgery.

Edit: I just remembered that there are people who know all about gender dysphoria from the inside. Please disregard everything.

Edit 2: Holy Moly! A third of the patients had performed self-mutilation. I think most of that is cutting, however. Which is bad but still heaps better than applying a hedge trimmer to your genitals or breasts...
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2012-02-28 at 11:54 AM.

― Tim Fargo

21. - Top - End - #201

That gender dysphoria ray has a dark real-life background by the way. Apparently it's not entirely uncommon that trans people attempt some DIY Sexual Reconstruction Surgery. People, don't do this. You'll end up performing Sexual Destruction Surgery.
    Those are some pretty sad stories.
    Jude P.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah. I kind of saw it coming from the beginning, though. The way the woman was describing it to the doctor seemed kind of artificial to me, even for an actress. (Or maybe they actually thought that was a good way of describing it?)
    I guess they actually thought it was a great way of describing it. Many, many people think asexuality doesn't exist, after all. It was a really... jarring depiction, though.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Natalie Reed: Good things about being trans.

It's not all doom and gloom. And it's important to say that from time to time.
    Last edited by Asta Kask; 2012-02-28 at 01:13 PM.

― Tim Fargo

24. - Top - End - #204

I could see the Kyriarch using the royal "we" as if to imply that they speak for everyone.

I didn't get any implication of 'ditch the T' out of your essay - in fact, *hugs* for mentioning so many groups.

Edit: I just remembered that there are people who know all about gender dysphoria from the inside. Please disregard everything.

Edit 2: Holy Moly! A third of the patients had performed self-mutilation. I think most of that is cutting, however. Which is bad but still heaps better than applying a hedge trimmer to your genitals or breasts...
    I've heard of that being done as an extremist form of masochism... I was afraid that that wasn't the only cause. :/
    Thanks for existing.

Dragon Hunter avatar by Lerky. Magical Girl by the lovely Astrella~

25. - Top - End - #205

I could see the Kyriarch using the royal "we" as if to imply that they speak for everyone.

I didn't get any implication of 'ditch the T' out of your essay - in fact, *hugs* for mentioning so many groups.
    Well, because her essay was about how excluding other oppressed groups is silly, and we should all band together because we all face some kind of lack of privilege somehow! Instead of being all "YEAH WELL MY LIFE IS WORSE" we should be more empathetic and stuff.
    This is why I let Kender write our thoughts. She's more eloquent.
    Jude P.

26. - Top - End - #206

While I won't talk you into missing deadlines for your day job, I love your feminist "essays" here. They're thought provoking!

With the risk of exposing my moral myopia, I was reading a Men's Rights blog (in Swedish) not long ago, regarding the rights of fathers. (Linked from another Men's Rights blog I find myself in at least partial agreement with, though it seem to attract stupid readers/posters.) It seemed to make perfect sense to me at the beginning, but as soon as the blog's introduction started to rant about single mothers and "the gay agenda" and how they work to destroy families (with both fathers and mothers), I closed the browser tab.

I think I'll go and check that Successful Black Man meme I discovered a few months ago, to cheer me up.

Reminds me about an episode of The Simpsons in which the sexes (for some reason) get segregated in school. The girls, while orderly, get a very patronising education, while the unruly boys get excellent education in maths and science. Lisa tries then to get into the boys class, dressed as a boy. (I don't know how it ended, and I missed the beginning as well.)

Ironically, my elder sister was (and probably still is) much better at maths than I was (and am), and got a better/more advanced maths education, or at least learned certain things earlier than I got.

Could you ask her if she would like to be part of #Heroes-of-GiantitP?

Also, as scribe of the chronicles of The Purple Avenger, I can inform you and Iris/Natalie that he and Team Purple are more than willing to team up with her against her campaign against evil. He also told me that if Iris objects to the slaying of slayers, he and Team Purple are willing to only use mercy bullets when working with her.

BTW, I just realised the coincidence (?) that one of the members of Team Purple is both a Canadian citizen and trans*. (She's a First Nation Two Spirit who have served in the Canadian Special Operations Regiment or Joint Task Force 2 and in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, possibly as a Aboriginal Community Constable. She has discovered that she has shamanistic powers and travelled around North America when meeting The Purple Avenger.) When I've edited her entry over at deviantART, I may link it to Natalie, so she can voice her opinion.

I can still not understand the dislike of transsexuals, or the idea that transsexuals are "worse" than LGB's, considering how long HRT and SRS have existed. Not that I'm saying we should go back to telling gays and lesbians to do HRT and SRS like in the 1960's (at least in Sweden, don't know about other countries, except Iran, which does the very same thing today)*, far from it. That would be wrong an terrible.

* Is this one of the reasons why some gays and lesbians dislike trans persons?
    Viking/Paladin by Astrella

Gender Bender by Geomancer.

In love with Skeppio.

Contact me:
    Spoiler
    Show

Twitter: @MarcusSweden1

My tumblr

My DeviantART

27. - Top - End - #207
    Barbarian in the Playground

I had no idea it was that prevalent.

Natalie Reed: Good things about being trans.

It's not all doom and gloom. And it's important to say that from time to time.
    I think some of those things are more to do with the process of transition than being trans. But there are definitely some good points in there.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

I can still not understand the dislike of transsexuals, or the idea that transsexuals are "worse" than LGB's, considering how long HRT and SRS have existed. Not that I'm saying we should go back to telling gays and lesbians to do HRT and SRS like in the 1960's (at least in Sweden, don't know about other countries, except Iran, which does the very same thing today)*, far from it. That would be wrong an terrible.

The difference is that LGB is not a condition that requires treatment. Transsexuality requires the proper treatment, which usually consists of a number TLA*s given over the course of some years.

*Three Letter Acronym

― Tim Fargo

29. - Top - End - #209
    Barbarian in the Playground

I know some people have expressed the opinion that LGB people would be better off in terms of rights if they weren't associated with T people, and that we're "****ing them over" by being included in the same bills that protect their rights. For example, IIRC, the Human Rights Campaign was very hesitant to advocate a trans-inclusive ENDA out of fear that it wouldn't pass.

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Nihila View Post
    I know some people have expressed the opinion that LGB people would be better off in terms of rights if they weren't associated with T people, and that we're "****ing them over" by being included in the same bills that protect their rights. For example, IIRC, the Human Rights Campaign was very hesitant to advocate a trans-inclusive ENDA out of fear that it wouldn't pass.
    Shouldn't "Human Rights" laws be very general and just say "treat people well"?
    Jude P.