New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Orb Of Fire IC Thread

Torvale.

The Beacon of the Northern Plains. The Well of the Earth. The Great Frontier.

These are but some of the myriad names that the populace have for the town near the Ashenpeak Mountains. For nearly twenty years it has stood mightily on the plains, the great homestead for many an individual. Despite the incredible diversity for the populace, the Mayor has kept peace and prosperity between the townsfolk for all this time, and Torvale was a shining example of calm and contentment.

Not any longer.

Recently, and without warning, giants from the Ashenpeak Mountains have been launching raids on Torvale, and the townsfolk have been devastated. It has no real standing militia, nor a reliable way of fending off invasions that none had even thought possible, and many have suffered accordingly. They only know two things: The giants are searching for something they believe the townsfolk have stolen. And they will not stop until they have found it.

Desperate, the Mayor sent his fastest rider south, towards the populous cities, with a message for any adventurers brave enough to answer.

Torvale calls for aid.

Your group has answered that call. After days of travel, you have arrived at the ruins of the once-proud Great Frontier, your steeds trotting past the burned homes and broken landmarks.

Eventually, at the town center, you come across the sight of a middle-aged man wearing Torvale’s sigil (a sun shining over a golden field) on his clothing, speaking to a dwarven woman in plate, a hammer at her side. Both look grim, but at the sight of your party, the human looks intensely relieved and walks forward.

”Greetings, travellers. I am Mayor Mathias Bodwin. Pleased to make your aquaintances. Welcome to Torvale…such as it is.”
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Orb Of Fire IC Thread

Jeth creaks forward at an unsteady, but surprisingly rapid pace, keeping up with the group since leaving the horses. A rasping voice escapes his low-draped hood as he hunches over his staff.
    "The stars have ordained our meeting, Sir mayor. I am Jeth, student of the arcane. How can we be of assistance?"
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Nolan followed from atop his giant eagle. He sat up in the saddle, whispered something in Auran, and Aquila turned around a bit so that Nolan could see the man's face clearly. He didn't speak and just kept a calm expression.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmm, how indeed. Our major concern at the moment is stopping the attacks. In fact, that's the only way we've thought of that could potentially help. Forming defenses would take too long, and the giants would just tear them down.

No, we need someone to go directly to the mountains and eliminate them. Regrettable though it is, we have not what they seek, and they will stop for neither diplomacy nor pleas."
    He glances up at Nolan and Aquila, but seems remarkably unconcerned. Likely someone who just had his town destroyed by giants simply isn't phased by much.

"Unfortunately we've little in the way of information to offer you, though one of our retired rangers scouted out the Peaks and brought a map back with him. It could help you get there." He turns his head to the dwarf. "Sheila, if you would fetch hither the map?"

"Aye aye, Mayor." She strides off hurriedly and the Mayor waits for any questions.
    Last edited by Kelvin360; 2012-05-22 at 08:08 PM.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Nolan took this opportunity to ask a question, "Have you heard the giants say anything that could give us a clue as to what they're looking for?"
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Anar Harlessen, Dragon Shaman

Anar had only just arrived in town, and focussed on finding a person in a position of authority. He hadn't come here to gossip, only fulfil his vows to Karro.

He approached the mayor and his band just in time to catch the last of what he said and Anar quickly got up to speed.

He had suspected that some here would argue for extermination, but to have it so boldly put surprised him, and he paused, deciding it would be better to here the others out and see where they stood, before voicing the dissenting opinion.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Not waiting for the response to Nolan's query, Jeth immediately pipes up.
    "Force is a brutish and unnecessary tactic. At the very least we should engage in some reconnaissance before attacking. Perhaps taking a less direct route..." Jeth muses.
    He squints and racks his memory for information about the Ashenpeak Mountains and any details on where the giants might make their home.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[23] Knowledge: Geography
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGirl

Merinna, Changeling Rogue (Disguised as Oren)

Merinna, disguised today as a red-haired elf man named Oren, stands with the group. I agree with Jeth. We shouldn't have to kill the giants.
    Mathias, do you know of anyone who was in contact with them before the raids started? Maybe they would know what angered the giants.
    Last edited by BShammie; 2012-05-22 at 10:02 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Mathias looks a bit sadly at the group, though not because they don't want to just rush in and kill everything. Apparently, he understands their thought process.

"I'm afraid the most we've gotten from them during a rampage is broken smatterings of common. 'Where is it' and 'Give it to us' have been the most common, although we've heard 'smash', as well. As for exacts, we simply don't know. Until recently we didn't even know the giants existed. It would be a bit cliche to say they appear to have popped out of the ground, but that is the case. How they think we have stolen anything of theirs, I can't even imagine, though if you could come up with a solution that doesn't involve a new river, I would be overjoyed."

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Result:

The Ashenpeak Mountains are a rather haphazard collection ranging from simply tall hillsides to active (or recently active) volcanoes. If one were to build a base in the range, the most obvious solution would be either tunnels inside the volcanic rock faces (which might serve the dual purpose of a mining operation) or a camp in one of the canyons that dot the landscape.

Rumors have been going around for years that the dwarves have already made a few citadels inside the range, but no one has proven these claims.

Several places catch your eye immediately as likely candidates: Relemar, the shortest fully-grown mountain, which hasn't been active in recorded history and is rich with iron deposits.

Vaglanthus, the sleeping giant, which has a history of spontaneously awakening and spewing lava and ash into the air, but for the present appears habitable.

Or Bulwadarr, the largest of the trio, which was very recently active but is currently dormant. This one is the mountain with the dwarven rumors.

10. - Top - End - #10

DrowGirl

Merinna, Changeling Rogue
    (Disguised as Oren)

Merinna looks reassuringly at the mayor.
    "Oh no, don't get me wrong. If push comes to shove, then yes, I'll fight for you. At the moment though, it may be best for everyone involved if we looked for alternative solutions. Giants aren't exactly pushovers you know.
    I can promise you that we'll do our best to keep you from having to relocate or from losing any more people, even if it means a few other things have to bite the dust."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Jeth looks up from his introspection.
    "Analyzing prior study, I have determined three likely candidates for the giants' home in the mountains - Relemar, known for rich iron deposits and inactive volcanically, Vaglanthus, an unpredictably volcanic mountain which has been dormant for some time, or the large mountain of Bulwadarr, which recently ceased a spree of volcanic activity and has become dormant. I have also read that dwarves may be making their home in Bulwadarr. We should narrow this down, however. Sir mayor, have the giants been using large quantities of iron or steel weapons and armor in their raids? This would imply that they make their home in Relemar. Other than that, we may simply have to check each locale ourselves."
    He twists a ring on his finger and gulps briefly following his long speech. A bit of water dribbles out of his mouth into his long beard.
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2012-05-23 at 03:48 PM.
    HOMEBREW

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

"I concur. I certainly don't want anyone to charge in blindly. Though...if you wish, you might chance speaking to the ranger for more information. If you can get him to talk. I'm afraid he's..seen some disturbing things recently. When he isn't drunk he's an incoherent wreck. A shame. He was the most able retiree we had.

Iron? No. They seem content with using their fists and feet. Although between your knowledge and the map, we might soon know."
    As if on cue, the dwarf woman comes back and hands off a map to Jeth. It has a few circled points on it, a few with question marks, and tiny annotations where the scout apparently either saw giants or stickmen. Most of the circles points are around a valley marked 'lifeless', which is at the feet of Bulwadarr.
    Last edited by Kelvin360; 2012-05-22 at 11:10 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Aquila spoke up after taking a look at the map, "I could fly to the mountains and see if I can spot anyone, though it'd take a few hours."
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Anar Harlessen

He looks down at the map but is disappointed by the seeming lack of information it conveys.

"I'd suggest we speak to this ranger and see what he has to say: it doesn't look like this map will mean much to anyone but him. We can also ask him about the terrain and climate: if we are going to hike into a lifeless valley I'd like to know what we're getting ourselves into."

Karro had taught him well, he mused, teaching him to analyse a situation before getting involved.
    He then heard the Eagle speak, which though it gave him cause to pause wasn't utterly unexpected. He decided to venture a response, even though he was unsure of the etiquette.

"Perhaps that would be wise, a scout in the air would be ten times more valuable than one on foot. Is there anyone here who could accompany this noble beast?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Nolan slipped off Aquila, landing on the ground. "I could go, but she would see about the same as me. She's smart, there shouldn't be any problem with getting the information even if she goes alone." He walked around Aquila as he spoke to get in front of her. They briefly spoke in Auran, Nolan telling her to be careful and Aquila that she already knew.

Aquila nodded one last time at her companion. "I'll be back in a few hours. If anyone has any way to make a signal for me when I'm returning, do so." She took some steps away from the group, to a wide enough open area, and began to flap her mighty wings, lifting off the ground. She reached a suitable height and began to make her way towards the mountain with all due haste, her eagle eyes watching the ground below.

Spot: (1d20+13)[27]
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

The crystal on Jeth's staff sparks and flares. "Signals. Indeed..." he mumbles. "We will await your return."
    He then sidles in to examine the map. "A lifeless valley. This is all that is available to us? I agree, let us speak with the ranger," he wheezes. "Do you know where he might be?"
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2012-05-23 at 08:04 AM.
    HOMEBREW

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

The eagle's decision seemed rash, but Anar knew that being well informed was key to victory. He nodded at the wizard's words, concurring that they should go and see this man.

18. - Top - End - #18

DrowGirl

(Disguised as Oren)

"Yes I agree, the ranger may be our best bet at the moment.
    Mathias do you know if the valley 'lifeless' as in nothing lives there or 'lifeless' as in nothing alive lives there? It's an important distinction.
    Last edited by BShammie; 2012-05-23 at 08:12 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

"I believe he is..." Mathias looks around from building to building before pointing to the only inn that hasn't been destroyed. "In there. Though, if I may, I would advise not asking the barkeep about him. Old Devishar gets a bit, ah, feisty about high tabs of his patrons."

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot Result:

The valley as indicated by the map has the remains of a few campsites, likely those of giants given the size, but true to the name nothing appears to live move or breathe down there. Large tracks lead into what seems to be a cavern entrance at the foot of the mountain, and something is...unsettling about the general area.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

(Just tell me when Aquila would have returned, since I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that fast. :P)

Nolan nods and heads over to the inn. Inside, he looks around, seeing if he can spot the ranger, or just in general who's at the bar if the ranger isn't obvious.
    Last edited by Linguz; 2012-05-23 at 08:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

As expected, the inn is completely filled. There almost isn't room to move between the patrons and waitresses. Your senses are assaulted by the smell of ale, the sound of a dozen people ordering a drink at once, and the sight of so many individuals occupying the same space.

The bartender, an old (and balding) human man, is behind the bar, scowling at a drunkard and cleaning a glass with a cloth. Between all this commotion, it's probably going to take an active effort to find your own shoes, much less one ranger.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

(If I hadn't said that Nolan was calm and patient, he would be yelling right now.)

Nolan sighed and began to weave his way through the crowd, finding a random person who didn't seem to be talking with anyone. "Excuse me, sir. Would you be willing to help me help you? I'm looking for a ranger who is supposedly somewhere in this inn. Do you think you can help me find him?"

Diplomacy: (1d20+11)[23]
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Predictably, the only one not otherwise engaged is what appears to be the village sleazebag. "Eh, you mean Iaral? Sure, 'ees 'round 'ere somewheres, I think. Maybe uhhh.." A random man stumbles back and hits the floor with a bloody nose, unconscious. "Ohh, there 'ee is! Er. Gotter run." With that, he dives out of the bar. In front of the sleeping man, a leather-clad elf stands calmly with a drink in one hand and fingers curled into a fist in the other.

"I appreciate your offer of a drink, but perhaps you should take your stupidity elsewhere." He says, downing the last few drops of ale in the tankard. "More." He hands it off to a passing waitress.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Jeth reflexively moves his staff to the ready and holds his hand back, fingers outstretched. "You are the ranger we were told about, hrmm? The one with knowledge about the mountains? Perhaps you could step outside and assist us."

Jeth lowers his staff slightly, but still seems poised to react should anything hostile occur.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm readying an action to manifest Entangling Ectoplasm against this guy if he moves to attack me, grab me, or anything else aggressive.
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2012-05-23 at 10:28 PM.
    HOMEBREW

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

The ranger simply looks at Jeth until his drink arrives. He downs it before responding. "No. You and the Mayor can keep your damned crusade. I don't want anything to do with the giants and I sure as the hells don't want to go back to those mountains. I just want to drink in peace until death finally comes for me." He slumps into his chair and stares deeply into the cup. "Should only be a day or two."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Nolan went to the man's side and sat down next to him at an empty chair (possibly moving a chair there). "Why would you want to pass away? What could you have seen, have done, or whatever that has made you so... so against living?"
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have seen the face of fire and destruction, and there is no hope. We are doomed, nothing will change that. But I'm the only one who has realized it. It is ironic that my intuition is suddenly my curse.

You wish to know why I have given up? I have seen them. The army. So many...the swarm of fire, of hate. We cannot escape. We cannot hope to defend. Eventually they will send their forces against us and we will all die.

So here I am. At the edge of oblivion, hoping in the name of the Gods that I'll kill myself drinking before they kill me underfoot."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Anar followed Nolan into the inn, and was about to step in when he saw that violence was possible, but luckily the ranger didn't seem so far gone as that. He drew on the powers that Karro had taught him of, using that small well of draconic power he could access to forge a glamour. Used by dragons to sway mortals to their will, his was only a pale comparison, but it would bolster his attempts with words here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Draconic Aura, presence +2 diplomacy, intimidate, bluff to Anar and Nolan.

Diplomacy: (1d20+18)[35]

"Then why not flee? If you think you would be destroyed why not flee? I believe you still have honour left, some sense of duty. We do not ask for much, just information: there is no need to go into that valley again."

29. - Top - End - #29

DrowGirl

(Disguised as Oren)

Merinna, seeing how the rest of the party is in control of the situation, lifts the unconscious man off of the floor. She forces her way through the crowd with him, and tries to get the bartender's attention.
    "Hey, excuse me! Sir, is there anywhere I can bring this man? He looks hurt."
    Last edited by BShammie; 2012-05-24 at 05:00 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360 View Post
    "I have seen the face of fire and destruction, and there is no hope. We are doomed, nothing will change that. But I'm the only one who has realized it. It is ironic that my intuition is suddenly my curse.

You wish to know why I have given up? I have seen them. The army. So many...the swarm of fire, of hate. We cannot escape. We cannot hope to defend. Eventually they will send their forces against us and we will all die.

So here I am. At the edge of oblivion, hoping in the name of the Gods that I'll kill myself drinking before they kill me underfoot."
    "If you're so intent on death, what would be the problem in helping those who want to help?"
    Spoiler
    Show