New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The New Age

1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The New Age

The hour has passed, and they're are four of them. Gethane decides that this is a good enough number. "Alright, we should head out now." Gethane spends a moment to try and detect the presence, if he can't, he just heads in the general western direction. If he can detect it, they will travel towards its presence.
    "What manner of travel shall we follow? I can have us travel underground. We could also travel by foot above ground. I think we should try to remain hidden as we get closer."

Gethane waits for an answer, while he waits, he draws a rune on his hand for later. In addition, he pulls some metals out of the earth and fashions a large hammer to go with his armor.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashmir View Post
    When I die, I donate my body to the cause of whatever ******* finds it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodgruve View Post
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

GM: I'm ready to advance the plot a lil' bit once I return from Campus today.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

"Underground seems like a good idea. We should also hide our energy." Kelvor says as his divine spark fades away. "I should also mention that I'm a little tired from everything that's happened lately, so don't expect fire balls and magic from me." Seeing that Gethane is gearing up for a fight, Kelvor focuses for a second and his arm muscles grow and his hands morph into large dagger-like claws.
    Last edited by Vixsor Lumin; 2012-04-09 at 12:31 PM.
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

The mode of transportation does not matter to me... Mathayus takes his Greatsword off of his back and checks its sharpness. I do hope there will be a fight... I haven't had a fight in quite some time...
    Last edited by Eric Scott; 2012-04-09 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    You are quite possibly the best DM I have ever had.

5. - Top - End - #275

WolfInSheepsClothing

"My magic is not yet recovered to any significant degree, so I doubt that I will be sable to contribute at any great level. Still, I will provide what power I can."

Darlin compresses the water down into a bead perhaps a centimeter in diameter, and of such pressure that it is undergoes freezing.

After sealing the water into a form more easily transported, Darlin allows the aura of magic radiating from him to fade, though he still retains a little of it so as to maintain the spell granting him control over the water.

"Underground travel will likely be our best option, if the goal is to remain undetected during the expedition."

6. - Top - End - #276
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ((no problem. it wasnt nothing big anyway.
    i assume created servants dont necessarily speak same languages.))

the dothka did not have the ability to read any language, but had a logical guess it was some warning against trespassing. the servant thought it over, sending a mental message via a rough spell to her leader. She eased on the bow and focused on another spell, this one to make her invisible as well as silence her movements. the dothka neared closer twords the entrance peeking around.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ((these are created lvl 6 servants. so you can prolly imagine a rogue/cleric here.))

------
    "pets?" he asked, confused why she was stumbling over her thoughts, but nonetheless kept moving along the road thinking nothing more of it. "what strange things?" he had to ask her now with his curoisty peeked, picking up a dark blue flower growing along the trail in the shade of a large tree while pocketing some of its berries in a small pouch on his belt. he sniffed it, "I hear trouble. warning of a..." trying to think how to describe the threat that was told him to watch out for, "there's being out there, dangerous. angry...or was it hungry?"
    -----

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Gethane opens up the ground, and tunnels through the earth with the others following behind him. He continues to dig their way into the West. Occasionally, he stops and checks for tremors on the surface. "Darlin, do you have any way we could see things above ground from down here?" The tunnel may be quite dark, but Gethane can see anyways. They should be rather close to the place where he detected the presence by now.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really though, how effin scary would the beach be if an octopus could launch itself outta the water at a 200' move speed every 6 seconds. I'd never go to the beach again... I thought flying sharks were scary...
    Blood~

8. - Top - End - #278

WolfInSheepsClothing

The script is legible provided that it can be seen. Reading it (or looking intently at it, or pondering its meaning) imparts the writer's intent upon the creature.

What is Knowledge if only one can know it, after all? It is, at least, a better solution than having Darlen be unable to communicate with anyone due to language drift over the course of a galactic year...

Anyway, IC:

There appears to be nothing special about the cave's entrance. A suspicion sets in that, if anything special is within these caverns, it will be significantly further in.

"If I could use the spells of the Moon element, I could do so fairly easily. Failing that, it would theoretically be possible to do so using a spell of Air to get a good idea of what is up there. Alas, I am yet restricted to the use of the spells of Water, and it may be some time before I am able to access my full complement of spells.

Somehow, I don't think sweeping the surface with significant quantities of water to find out where things are will be very useful for maintaining stealth."

Darlen, not able to see due to the darkness, still seems to be capable of moving around without too much difficulty. He does, however, take a moment to curse the sealing of his magic when he accidentally walks into the orb and it knocks him flat with its weight...
    Last edited by NM020110; 2012-04-09 at 04:52 PM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

"I manipulate the moon, it is stone, and therefore part of my domain. Perhaps I could help you?" Gethane stops digging to say. Gethane is still trying to be prepared in this uncharted territory, and is starting to whisper.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

10. - Top - End - #280

WolfInSheepsClothing

"Unfortunately, I don't believe that that would help overmuch. The spells don't rely on the physical moon as much as they do the idea of the moon.

Besides, the problems lie in the seals placed upon my magic before I went into stasis. Without those...well, that's not something that bears contemplating.

I could try to guide you through the spell, if you'd like. It might not work, but it's worth an attempt. If you're willing to make the attempt, simply place your hands in mine."

Darlin extends both hands, in case Gethane decides to attempt the spell. Hopefully it won't go wrong, this time...

Though he doesn't say it, the look in Darlin's eyes plainly says that more aspiring mages than is usual have died from trying to use this element.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Gethane sees the look, but is not worried. He is a god, and does not fear magic. "Sounds like a plan." Gethane does exactly as Darlin says, focusing on how it felt to control the moon.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

12. - Top - End - #282

WolfInSheepsClothing

As Gethane places his hands in Darlin's, it feels as if they are sliding into one another. Almost immediately, Gethane becomes aware of Darlin's mind. It is through this connection that the remaining instructions are issued.

Please don't focus on the moon while using this spell. I've lost count of the number of my students and colleagues who ended up with their minds trapped in the moon when they did that.

To begin with, I'll relay you a chant. Focus on it, and it alone. Speak it aloud, if you wish. What this will do is lock down your cognitive mind, so that it does not become involved with the spell. Failure at that step has killed or rendered braindead far more than I care to count, so please do it properly.

Once you've done it properly, you should feel control over your body and your powers sliding away from you. They'll remain within reach if you absolutely need them, but otherwise please leave them alone.

Once you've reached this state, you can begin the spell. I'll help as much as I can. Within your mind's eye, view the moon changing. View an image of yourself changing along with it. Now, become that image. It's a little more complicated than that, but for a simple spell like this it should be enough.

If you've done it right, you'll now exist as an entity seperate from yourself, and you'll be able to go where you please. Just float straight up through the earth above, and take a look around. It's around here when you'll know if you messed up, since your conciousness will wind up being shredded and thrown around the world, but no pressure.

When you're done, simply come back down and carefully rejoin your body. Stop concentrating and merge back with your higher mind. At that point, you'll be able to stop chanting.

Good luck.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm not sure if a spell of this nature should call for a ceremony or not... .
    Last edited by NM020110; 2012-04-09 at 06:59 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Gethane takes the warning seriously, and sets up a precaution. He creates a binding circle for himself that will prevent his consciousness from going more than 100ft. from his body. Figuring this should aid him, he follows the instructions and goes above ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mr. Armin, What does he see?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

(Yes, a Ceremony's required for this)

You see a strange sight indeed. Humans, all dressed in black suits, bearing odd metal things in their hands, are emerging from massive caves and holes in the ground. The disturbance originates from these caverns. And the humans are getting inside what appear to be massive metallic machines. They are beginning to construct buildings of some sort. There are enough of these Humans to suggest that there are enormous tribes underneath the ground.

OOC:

Basicallly modern humans in the Continent to the West.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Gethane finishes looking and then turns to the others, "They are humans, riding and using giant metal creatures. They are emerging from holes in the ground, they come out from the place where the disturbance is. What should we do now?"

They are in my domain without my knowledge. This presence has power beneath the ground, this worries me.

Gethane then sends a message to Zilv, telling her exactly what he told the others.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

16. - Top - End - #286
    Halfling in the Playground

The curious habits of the dothka did intrigue Maia, as she watched him forage some plants she hadn't seen before like it was quite normal. He probably knew more about such a plant even though he and Maia had probably existed for the same duration.
    Though Maia did wonder whether she just popped into existence or there was some enormous picture she was a part of. It was just she'd entered this world with such confidence and instinct like someone who had already been here long enough for learned knowledge to be ingrained in the mind.
    Like why wasn't she surprised by most of the goings on of late? Or how she already knew how to control the overwhelming power at her fingertips? Or even how she already understood language: a concept of communication built of an intelligent mind.

She definitely was only seeing part of the picture, and she certainly wouldn't mind knowing more.

"Strange things like entire cities being built from the ground in seconds, or strange people and creatures suddenly existing?" Maia offered, absentmindedly dragging out her Life Map again to observe, and frowning a little at the sea of glowing dots that marked the various cities and such, but told little else. She really did need to add some more functions to this thing, so she tried editing the design discretely so the dothka didn't notice.

First she forced her awareness of the earth into the device, and then optimized the design to boost its range. Not being able to see water on the map was a slight inconvenience, but Maia ultimately shrugged the matter off.
    Mentally dissecting her artifact did give her a new awareness on design synergies and such, as some patterns and combinations of power seemed more efficient and productive.

Spoiler
    Show
    1 Minor Act: Upgrading Life Map to include terrain
    1 Minor Act: Optimizing Life Map's design to nearly double the range it covers
    1 Major Act: Add Ability: -Formidable Artisan

"Whatever is out there, I don't like it, we should hurry," Maia said, stowing her Map away again.

17. - Top - End - #287

WolfInSheepsClothing

The spell completed, Darlin withdraws his hands from Gethane's, and the mental link vanishes.

"We know that they are here, now. Perhaps we should wait and watch, to see if they will threaten us.

Unless, of course, they have already..."

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think we still don't have enough information. What kind of disturbance are they causing? We don't even know if they're hostile. Although," Kelvor said as he sniffed the air, "I don't like it here. Something about this area seems.... unnatural."

19. - Top - End - #289

"Good." Vordia stated after a moment of keenly eyeing the scorpion god up and down. "You're coming with me." She said as she strode up to 'Mathayus', grabbing hold of the back of his carapace at the neck, and launched up into the air with the beast-god in tow.

"You know how birds fight scorpions, yes?" She asked as they shot directly skywards. She slowed for a split second only to change direction and dive down at the same break-neck and disorientanting pace. "Fitting I do the same, don't you think?" she spoke as she released the so-called scorpion god like a bullet to the earth with barely enough distance for Vordia herself to change her path of flight to not impact. All this occured in less than a few seconds.

"Scorpion is so tasty, after all." She said to herself with a dark smile, going over to Aldarin and motioning to him that everything was alright with a wink.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Gethane turns to the others to present his idea, "Can any of you disguise yourselves? If you can, you could go infiltrate their caves and find out more. I can start setting up defenses if needed. But I think we should finish gathering information and then return."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blood~

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

"I can disguise myslef. Ill go up and learn what I can. When I get back, I agree that we should return." Kelvor says and then turns into a badger. He digs his way up to the surface and upon exiting the ground, turns into a hawk. Shaking the dirt off of himself he flies over the strange humans looking and listening for any clues about where they come from and what they're doing.

22. - Top - End - #292

Allan sat on top of the city wall, looking out at the landscape as it stretched out before him. He wasn't actually allowed up here, but he didn't mind that. Such rules just limited his imagination. He let a special type of flame burn at his fingertip and touched it to the wall, cutting into the stone. He sat there, on top of the wall, carving the side of a tower, until he was satisfied with his work. The stone of the original parts of the city was really marvellous, without a flaw, and this was one of the few places he could work with it in peace. When he finished, a wonderful and incredibly detailed half relief was etched into the wall. It displayed a woman, in a loose hanging robe that flowed along her body in folds, her hands were held at in front and to the right of her, with open palms, between them afire was carved. It was so lifelike it was almost disturbing, and it looked like the fire might at any moment start moving, and consume the city in it's heat. The woman's eyes held a mixed feelings of loss and joy, that were so lifelike it even drew a tear from Allan himself. Just as he was admiring his work, someone on the street shout, and one of the priests was running towards his location. Knowing that he had broken a lot of rules, and that punishment might be severe, he jumped down on the other side of the wall and started playing his flute, it was a small hope that his melody would affect one of the seven priest in a case like this, but it was worth a shot if nothing else. He sat playing his song of forgiveness for three minutes before the priest reached him, had he been a normal child, punishment would have been severe, but being a artist and a prodigy at that, his punishment was somewhat reduced. Still the punishment felt cruel and unjust, two weeks of no artistic rights, two weeks of being monitored and kept from expressing himself.

"You are lucky you weren't assigned to manual labour." his mother scolded. Allan lay on the floor, staring at the domed ceiling his father had carved with a display of clouds and stars, it had been nine days since he was given the punishment and Allan was feeling the pressure. Like most of his people, he had a unnatural need for artistic expression, but he doubted they knew how hard it was, when he with a whistle could invoke feelings of joy if he so wished, and not be allowed to do anything but sit and read. He was wilder than most, and it surprised many that he as not a blast user, but they did not understand, a fire is wild, but bound by law. Allan was not wild, he was free, like the birds, or he would have been, where he not confined to this city. He prayed almost every day for a opportunity to get free, but so far his prayers had been unanswered.

23. - Top - End - #293

Spoiler
    Show
    ((tho my attempt to mess with the scorpion failed obviously. i was hoping for him to show up and have a little game...oh well))

Zilvtree went along with it, "what are you doing? let go of me! foul beast! you will feel...."
    when released she spoke the words with ease, the spell took place just as she was to impact the ground, and she suddenly was gone from site, a portal opening up to take her from the area then closed right behind. she landed softly, grumbling to herself, eyes now crimson in tint. a quick dusting off, she return to her normal form. heading to Lith My'athar, a new idea in mind, she entered her chambers. Concentrating she closed her hands around a ball of pure energy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ((i'll work it out next post))

----

"oh," the dothka replied understanding a small tint of uncertainty behind the words, "like me?" looking back to the flower in hand but continuing walking glancing over as she played with the large parchment looking object. "home is not built in seconds. home always changing."
    when she mentioned hurrying, he nodded, and picked up the pace, 8 legs to his advantage when it came to scurrying.
    soon they were nearing the outer surrounding lands of the city, he paused, "there closest city."
    Spoiler
    Show
    ((not sure which one.))

-----

Spoiler
    Show
    ((i was thinking we cant assume everyone speaks the same languages))

the spy sent another short message, then searched for any dangers. then throwing a protection spell about herself proceeded to the entrance
    Last edited by Zarae; 2012-04-12 at 12:25 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294

Vordia watched her pray as it portalled away, a cold and uncaring expression on her face. "Sorry about that, Aldarin." She said, her face changing to a kinder one as she tapped her ring as though it was enough of an explanation. "Come, we need to find out what is going on in the west, and I'm sure we can get there faster than the others." She spoke, and then shot up into the air, taking bare seconds to travel across the skies to the west, where she looked down to see what the disturbance was, bracing herself just incase.

25. - Top - End - #295

Aldarin had no idea what was going on, suddenly, some scorpion had appeared, Vordia had raced towards the ground, seemed to get something in her eye, the scorpion teleported away, Vodria tapped the ring he had made with her, apologised, then flew of to the west. Her smile was as charming as ever though, and Aldarin flew after her, somewhat straining himself to keep up with her. As they travelled west, Aldarin felt a the dark aura growing stronger, by now he was quite worried for Vordias safety, though he hoped the items he had made for her would keep her safe. As they flew, he looked upon the landscape below them, searching for whatever might be the source of this dread.

26. - Top - End - #296

Zilvtree put her magic into the object that was slowly forming. a new thought as she remembered the possible troubles came to the forefront. She decided to combind the two into one. as she worked, the black cub crawled out from under the bed to investigate, tiny nose sniffing, but not getting to close. Instead it just watched as the dark energy was pulled into it. when her hands opened, a medium sized pendent, adamantine encasing around a pure black sapphire was left behind. She inspected it, the colorful soft glowing lights reflected off its shiny surface. she hooked it around her neck letting it fall under her leather top.
    tossing the black and maroon cloak into the air, she reinforced and infused it with magic. she worked on the sias next, likewise and when she was done, headed out of the realm and the direction she had been called earlier.

Spoiler
    Show
    used major act- create artifact. (no name yet) basic idea is an amulet of protection; also if she desires it, unwanted touch gets hit with negative energy, sapping strength.
    2 minor- add magic to sais and cloak

27. - Top - End - #297

Maia had little trouble keeping up with the dothka, though her Myckets had a variety of obstacles that they met with a variety of solutions, and there was enough of them that they could sort of work together to make sure none of them got lost.
    But upon stopping for a moment to gaze at the 'closest city' the dothka had led her to, Maia looked at her map frowned a little, thinking the place looked rather intimidating all covered in shadow. Her tendencies toward nature made her naturally appeal to the sunlight, so anywhere not in the light felt a little... dangerous...?

In the end Maia just grumbled inwardly and shook off her hesitation, reaffirming her will that she was an almighty goddess, so something like a bit of darkness shouldn't bother her. True, it wasn't a wise idea to rely on divinity as Maia felt decidedly fragile in comparison to the more common concept of gods, but there were only mortals in the city and they couldn't conjure a flood with a click of their fingers so Maia definitely had an advantage.

"Okay, let's go. That's your home right? It might be a good idea for us to hide there for a little while until these bad omens blow over," Maia prompted, "I don't know what's coming but I'd rather not be out here if or when it arrives."

And with that Maia resumed her quickened pace towards the city in the shadows.

28. - Top - End - #298

the area was covered in trees, plants, and everything imaginable to a mystic forest- even as Maia noted the heavy shadowy mist that gave it its mystic magical feel.
    the dothka musta been turned around or something, ended up leading them to his homeland, "Barra tac'zilen," he affirmed walking up to the trail that served as a road into the trees. at the entrance was a small sign with the strange script indicating the area. beside it was a small symbol that looked like flames, yet was colored black. "not many come here," he replied again, "they need follow close. creatures do dwell."

Nothing occurred as they traveled fast, passing indicators of paths to villages, some of the outer guard post they could barely spot high off the ground in the trees. Eyes watching the group, elbows bumping others to point at the creatures following what they recognize as one of the Lady's servants. any bows relaxed from being drawn, but were kept at the ready. Eventually the trail turned to follow a clear fast flowing river, the trees and area indicating they were entering the outskirts of Karliik, the capitol (and closest to resembling a city). from their place, they could see the 'castle'.
    the mortals watched the procession, mortals who less resembled humans than before. No one stopped them with the dothka leading, and some nodded in respect, something he liked due to being Zeb's lowest rank of the dothkas. but secret watchers never let eyes leave the group. (for many reasons). Whispers were being spread of the shepherdess, rumors already in the start about the stranger who entered their area. Some including a powerful witch/sorceress.
    "i know place. a building on ground level, usually empty."
    the dothka lead her twords a set of buildings, the bottom two empty just as he said. "there," pointing and giving the same grin as earlier.

29. - Top - End - #299

Even though Maia felt reason to hesitate and suspect the surroundings as they moved further into this shadowy city, she couldn't help but grow intrigued that these people had chosen to build houses amongst and within trees.
    While the masonry of Kirin was a thing of curiosity considering stone's lifelessness, actually being around tree-homes gave the place that inner energy to even the smallest things.
    Though as much as the architecture was pleasing, Maia still felt a bit uncomfortable with the uneasiness in the people, as she had caught the odd glimpse of bows somewhat directed her way.
    Could make things problematic...

"Thank you, Dothka," Maia said to her guide with a slight bow of appreciation.
    She quickly moved off to one side and planted her staff firmly into the ground, and almost instantly a three foot tall wall of roots sprouted out of the ground in a circle around the staff.
    Once her Mycket pen was set up again, Maia went to investigate her new residence.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Suddenly : Next Turn

Paverias was there. You could all feel it. The ancient scorpion god's followers had done well for themselves. They now lived in glorious cities and possessed something more sophisticated than obsidian clubs, and simple slings. They even possessed something a little more advanced than bows and arrows. Their bows were stronger. Appearing at the temples of the others gods in a Human form. Paverias waited to speak with the others.