New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Sharkguard: The Sea-Roaring Defender IC

It takes a few minutes to get her a corresponding handset, but the voice of the head of the Hero Helper program crackles through from the other end. "Sharkguard? Are you OK? Did you find anything?" She seems bewlidered by the shift in your voice. "Um, a-all right. How about we meet each other half way? The 25th floor? I'm sure there's an empty office or something we can use for privacy. What's wrong? What did you discover? Should we be evacuating more people?"
    Lovely Gorgon avatar by smuchmuch!

Excellent Ex-avatar Collection
    Spoiler
    Show

Air Ace and Gremlin by the superb kpenguin.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard could roll his eyes at the poor quality of the walkie-talkie when he hears Saravati from the other side of the device. 25th floor sounds easy enough for Sharkguard to reach, if a little time-consuming. "Aye, 25th floor will be fine." The shark-man starts to loosen the dark tone in his voice. Speaking with Saravati is more comfortable to him than talking to Kim. "No need for panic. Situation is ready to walk the plank off this deck; just we both have a few topics to explain." With that, Sharkguard heads up to the 25th floor and waits for Saravati there. In his mind he wonders how he's going to explain this whole thing about Kim.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-09-22 at 08:15 PM.

3. - Top - End - #273

Saravati reaches the 25th floor a couple minutes after you do. She's cleaned herself up a bit, but still seems frazzled, not at all like the stiff, formal figure she appeared to be when you first saw her. Understandable, given how badly her morning's gone.

Panting a bit from the long walk down, she motions you inside with a semi-forced grin. "Ugh. I'm officially declaring this the worst day ever." The 25th floor turns out to be... well, it turns out to be the Payroll office, not yet another morally ambiguous lab. Various office drones peer out of their cubes when you enter, but an empty office in a back corner gives you a spot to talk freely.

"All right, so I'm not stupid. You sounded pissed over the walkie-talkie, and you won't say what's going on in public. What's wrong, Sharkguard? What'd you find?"

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #274

SwashbucklerGuy

Taking the time while waiting, Sharkguard does his best to relax while Saravati is making her way down. When Saravati gets down to the 25th floor she can see Sharkguard is rather tense unlike earlier in the day. It's not unusual for the shark-man to be tensed up about something but the researcher can also see that he is lost in thought while waiting. When he sees her though, Sharkguard speaks more casually now rather than the deadly serious tone back on the walkie-talkie. "Yarr and me both. A sailor don't typically be findin' themself in such a situation like this. Sorry for ta unusual darkened mood earlier."

Sharkguard enters the floor and leans against a wall in the empty office as he takes a deep breath. How does he put this? He speaks a little more seriously but avoids any sort of aggression if he can. "Went down to ta sub-basements. What I saw be a problem, that's for sure. Met ta... Woman behind ta attack. Lookin' for data on ta animal testin' floor she said." He pauses, wondering if Saravati knows who he's talking about already. He avoids making eye contact with the scientist as he looks at the ground and says, "Could I ask if yarr ever knew some sort of scientist or researcher named Kim?"
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-09-25 at 01:02 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275

Saravati isn't one to disguise her emotions. The people outside probably have no trouble hearing her shouts. "Woman behind... you mean there's a person behind this?! Those things came from inside our own building? Tell me you captured her, or... something! Data from animal testing... why would you... they don't do anything important! Augh, this makes no sense!"

At your last question Saravati stops looking worried and shifts to genuinely puzzled. She runs a hand through her hair. "Kim? Kim what? There's a Kim Ross who heads up one of our electronics labs. She's kinda nuts, but I didn't think she was the giant spider type. Only talked to her a few times, though. And there's Kim Yun-Gee, I like her, but she runs Accounts Payable, she's not a researcher."

Spoiler
    Show
    A Sense Motive roll please, good sir.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #276

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard drops his hand into his face as he sees Saravati pick up in volume. The spider invasion on the animal testing lab is something that had to be kept from going public; details of the invasion needs to be kept from being known at all aside from a few specific people. As much as the researcher tried, Sharkguard isn't buying her attempt at innocence. It seems clear to him that Saravati was involved more than simply knowing about Kim. The shark-man's look and tone of disappointment at Saravati's response details it all. "Enough." His accent suddenly drops just for that that one word. He keeps his voice low to avoid anyone else from hearing. "I got ta details from Kim. She was willingly changed into a half-woman, half-spider person. Ta animal testin' lab had it's 'budget slashed' as she said and did work on hybrids like herself. Looked for data, specifically 'Arachnid Transformation Final Report' I be belivin' and now it's her booty. Lookin' to make her spiders have human intelligence. Situation's complicated; ain't gonna simply choose one side and I be explainin' why in a moment... But first I wanna ask another thing."

He pauses, makes sure no one is listening in before continuing. "Look, Saravati I be very glad for ta Hero Helper program. But why yarr not simply tell me? I know Majestic Industries ain't the most savory of companies but I know that ta CEO ain't makin' a company. I saw ta copyright; I can't go makin' any sort of lawsuit and it ain't a sailor's style to do that either. Yarr didn't have much to lose by admitin' it; holdin' off whatever yarr knew only made it worse." He looks directly at Saravati as if he's looking for enlightenment. "So if yarr can do a favor, please tell me what really be ta case here. I be needin' yarr help with a plan but first I want to know what's really ta case."

7. - Top - End - #277

"You can't sue us over what they do with your samples. What animal testing does is illegal. The authorities won't sue us over them, they'll shut it down, take people away, put them in jail, maybe even try to shut down the whole company. You think I don't know what they do? I'm head of the lab one floor above them! It's not hard to figure out."

Saravati rubs her eyes and slumps down in one of the office chairs. "Yes, I know who you're talking about. Kim Hunter was crazy as a normal person. I doubt she's gotten any better as a spider-thing. She's really the one who did this? All for data from animal testing? Well, if someone had to be invaded by giant spiders, at least it was them."

"I didn't say anything because I run a department where I get to help people with heroes I really do admire, and I don't want to lose that just because Mr. King gets some bad news and decides I'm the scapegoat of the week. It'll probably happen eventually, but keeping your head down is the only way to get anything done around here."

Almost as an afterthought, Dr. Simhalan adds "What do you want my help with? I don't have a lot of pull, but I can try."

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #278

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard slowly looks away from Saravati as she explains what's at stake regarding laws and rules. He knows he isn't exactly one knowledgeable of extensive laws and orders. As much as he can try to encourage, sometimes things stay to a matter of fact. He realizes that for a moment he was thinking a little short-sighted, forgetting that the company is filled with individuals with respective ideas rather than one collected mass of a hive. The shark-man sighs quietly as he falls back into thought for a moment to think about what to say. Then he solemnly speaks, "...Alright, I be sorry for ta accusin' then. Yarr Hero Helper program really be great; I didn't want to ruin it over this situation. I'll have no hard feelin's to anyone once we get ta situation resolved."

Sharkguard tries to smile before speaking on about Kim. "I did meet Kim; she be a little crazy but I've seen much worse for mad scientists. She spoke that any sort of human experimentation may be needed but she ain't gonna 'borrow' anyone here for that." Sharkguard hesitates a bit before continuing. "Her spiders also be rather cute like children in an orphanage. Right now they'd be much worse off and much more reckless without her. I honestly like not to have anythin' done with them. If I send Kim to jail, I be gettin' a good feeling that they'll be put down; there'll be one mad woman if she hears 'bout it."

Sharkguard looks back at Saravati. "It's why I be wonderin' if we can move her to somewhere else. I know a couple abandoned islands I saw on some of my underwater journeys that could be a good place for her. If it can be arranged we'd all get a reasonable way out of this... Well, I be hopin' so at least." He shakes his head in regret. "Such a task be like navigating stormy waters without sails; but I thought I'd ask at least." When it comes to being unable to rely on himself for such tasks that can lead to a better outcome, Sharkguard worries a little. His confidence in his own abilities can often question those that other people have. If he had to put the weight of the entire city on his shoulders, Sharkguard would gleefully do so; if he had to rely on someone else, he could very well break into a panic.

9. - Top - End - #279

"Thanks. Nice to hear someone appreciates it." Saravati listens to your pitch with a somewhat disbelieving look on her face.

"So, I'm, all for getting her out of that basement and away from here. I don't want to be a spider-silk mummy again any time soon. But it sounds like she has some sort of big setup down there from what you've said, and you want to take all the spiders out too? That's a big job. You'll have to talk to Mr. King. There's no way around it. I mean, sure, I'll support your idea. After all the crazy stuff that's happened this morning, whatever makes it so it won't happen again gets my vote. But Mr. King is well, the king around here. You somehow manage to let this go, and Dr. Hunter will be out of the building and resettled before you can blink."

"I don't know how you're going to do that, though."

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #280

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard pauses a moment before sighing. "I be hopin' that ain't the case," he responds. "I be gottin' no idea how I could convince him. Worst of it all could be that he be wantin' me to rid of Kim for good. Publicity be good that way but ta city will be havin' one very vengeful scientist in short time." He pauses to think for a bit, then speaks up again. "Kim said she ain't gonna experiment on you people and I don't think she be wantin' to cause commotion like this again." He holds off from continuing. He thinks again on what it would be like for him to let Kim stay downstairs in the subbasements and what might happen in time. Kim probably isn't one to live the rest of her life down there; eventually she will want to come up and when she does, it isn't going to be pretty.

Sharkguard shakes his head and then finally makes a small smile. "Alright, enough with my contemplatin' here. Makin' me uncomfortable. I'll speak with King about Kim and hope for the best. Above all, I ain't wantin' any of yarr to get into another situation like this." He turns to Saravati as he asks, "One more thing, I be noticin' a plant lab of sorts on ta third sublevel. There be anythin' yarr know about it?" Despite the question, Sharkguard hardly seems worried about it. His smile and more relaxed pose suggests simple curiosity for something that might just be important.

11. - Top - End - #281

"Oh, that? They're harmless, and I mean it this time. They work on cultivating plants without natural sunlight down there. Has all sorts of uses. Agriculture, space travel, even just selling plants that'll grow better in someone's dark little apartment."

"Maybe you'll be able to convince Mr. King to be reasonable. You don't work for us, and you're world-famous and almost indestructible. He won't be able to use his usual threats or promises. And getting Kim out of here after what happened today should appeal to him. Who knows? He gave you his card, right? I can get ahold of him otherwise."

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard nods quietly at Saravati's explanation of the plant sublevel. If she says it's good then he'll take her word for it. All that remains now is to talk with King about the situation. Saravati's reassurance is appreciated even if she might be sugar-coating the situation a bit. At her question, Sharkguard takes out King's card as he kindly tells her, "Got it right here. I don't be believin' in luck, so wish it for me."

With that, Sharkguard looks for a cell phone in the room, or on the floor if needed, and calls King on the phone. The shark-man waits for the phone to pick up and hear something from the other side before he chooses to speak. No need to try and interrupt the CEO who's corporation was attacked. Considering King was likely planning to be on his yacht for the day, (if what Saravati says is true at least) he probably isn't in the best of moods, so Sharkguard knows he needs to be careful with his words.

13. - Top - End - #283

A phone on a nearby desk allows you to dial out easily enough. After a few rings, the other end picks up, and a rather irritated voice with the sounds of the ocean in the background responds.

"Yes? Mr. Wallace, please tell me you have some actual news this time? Your dedication is admirable, but it does nothing but distract from my friends and fishing when you call every five minutes to let me know nothing has changed."

The security chief, it seems, has not done a very good job of staying on Mr. King's good side. Saravati's luck may be necessary.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284

SwashbucklerGuy

Hearing the sounds of the ocean on the other side of the phone reminds Sharkguard of a place he'd prefer to be in. Not that buildings are distasteful for the shark-man but he simply prefers the harbor in terms of atmosphere. The voice on the other side of the phone however reminds him what he's dealing with and interrupting the CEO when he's out on "business" probably isn't the best time to ask.

Regardless, with a heart filled with hope, Sharkguard begins to speak, professionally and kindly. "My apologies for the interruption King, Mr. Wallace isn't the one calling this time." The shark-man's voice should be enough to tell that it isn't the security chief making the call. "I do have actual news however. I have the situation over here cleaned up and mostly resolved." Sharkguard can easily imagine King's response being an echo of "Mostly?" That word is always the standout when it comes to a wrapped up event.

Doing his best to avoid changing tone from anything but professional respect, Sharkguard moves on to ask. "Sir, if I may, I'd like to make a request." Before he says anything else, Sharkguard waits on King's response to see if the CEO will even allow the offer first.

15. - Top - End - #285

"Sharkguard! I should have known you'd have things well in hand! What a stroke of good fortune it was to have you in the building during this unfortunate incident." King turns on the charm the moment he realizes that it's you and not one of his underlings on the line.

"I trust there were no further injuries or destruction of property? All of these beasts have been contained? Has the culprit behind all this been apprehended yet? This whole episode has been a nightmare. I've no doubt it would have been much worse without your brave actions, Sharkguard. Your assistance and hmm, discretion in this matter will not be forgotten, I assure you, nor will they go unrewarded, I promise."

"Take us back to port, please, helmsman. It seems events are conspiring to make it impossible to relax today. Perhaps next week." You can hear King speaking briefly in the background before returning his attention to you.

"A request? Of course! You've helped Majestic Industries in ways both great and small today. If it is within my power to grant, consider it yours. What do you need, Sharkguard?"

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #286

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard keeps himself from letting out any sort of eye-rolling as he hears the CEO put his persuasion on from the other side of the phone. By this point the charm is just going to sting once the shark-man makes his request. First Sharkguard should at least tell King the rest of the good news... That and the elevator, but that shouldn't be too big a problem. "Yes sir, no further injury occurred; everyone was treated and stable for now. Little of property damage occurred aside from the animal testing floor and even then it's relatively minor. The elevator unfortunately crashed before I could reach it however I am willing to assist repairing or building a new one. Everything is contained at the moment... This leads up to my request."

Sharkguard pauses to turn his head away from the phone and take a deep breath. He thinks over how to speech this and eventually decides that the best way to go is probably to state it plainly and then do the explanation after King's initial response. Ready with his professional tone and calm demeanor, Sharkguard says over the phone, "I'd like to request the move of Kim Hunter, her 'friends,' and her equipment over to one of the empty islands near Freedom City."
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-10-15 at 08:15 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287

"Wonderful, wonderful. Good to hear!" It's not clear whether it's the news about his employees' health or the minimal impact the incident will have on his bottom line is what has King so chipper, but you can venture a guess. "Your offer is appreciated, but don't worry about the elevator. It's a nuisance, but we have cleanup and construction crews for that sort of thing. Have the shaft repaired and a new one in and running by the end of the month!"

Your request briefly achieves the impossible; it gets Hieronymus King to stop talking. When he starts again, it's with the same oily used-car salesman tone he always has, as if nothing happened.

"I see. I believe I've undersold you, Sharkguard. When you said the situation was in hand, I imagined a bit more punching had gone on. No offense intended, but a diplomatic solution doesn't seem like your cup of tea. However you've managed that, I commend you for it. Of course, this makes things rather tricky. Having the authorities haul some humiliated and battered villain away is simple. A moving job of that size, with that cargo, on short notice, well, that's a horse of a different color, to use one of my father's favorite expressions." King drifts off, half talking to himself for a moment. "Though perhaps... hmm, no, the current arrangement is obviously no longer tenable, not after that particularly brazen display of instability."

"There are certain conditions that must be met, of course, but yes, Sharkguard, for what you have done for me and my company, I... grudgingly, will grant your request. Notify Miss Hunter if you would. We can move forward with this when I arrive. The fewer involved, and the faster it can be done, the better."

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard is practically still as a statue as he awaits King's response, and finally begins to relax a bit as he hears it. To hear confirmation is good to hear, even if it was rather quick. "Understood," he replies on the phone before hanging up. No doubt he didn't want to try the CEO's patience more than he has already. Regardless however, the deal has gone through. The shark-man turns to Saravati as he smiles and happily says, "Looks like I be gotten what I be lookin' for. Gonna head down to tell Kim ta news." He will tell her more than that though; despite the good news, Sharkguard wants to be sure that the move goes as planned.

Walking to the door of the private room, Sharkguard takes one look back at Saravati, winks, and says, "Just wanna let yarr know, no hard feelings 'bout this whole incident." With that, the shark-man begins heading back down to ground level and then to the sublevels until he reaches the room Arachne and her spiders are in. A smile on his face demonstrates good news. Looks like this whole situation today will be over soon.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-10-16 at 12:57 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289

More spiders are wandering the halls of the fifth floor, but other than that, not much has changed when you return to Arachne's lair. All of her computers are running full-blast, lines of data scrolling past almost too fast to follow. Some sort of analysis or simulation program, from what little you know of the machines. The spider-scientist herself has a pole with twine and a toy mouse tied to the end. She's playing with the spider she supersized in her demonstration to you like it's a kitten. "Jump for it! Come on! Ooooh, good girl! Yes you are!"

"Sharkguard? You've returned, darling, and you're not leading a security team, so I suppose that's good news. How did your little voyage into diplomacy with Mr. King turn out, dear?"

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290

SwashbucklerGuy

Back down at the fifth sublevel, Sharkguard takes a passing glance at the various crawling spiders before heading to Arachne's room. The scientist playing with the new spider was quite cute, though it made Sharkguard wonder how different things will be when or if she manages to give her spiders human intelligence. He also wonders what they'll remember when or if it happens. Would they remember this room or the city? Would they remember the shark-man? And that's if he'll ever see Arachne and/or her spiders again. It's quite a bit to think about and right now isn't the time to truly contemplate it all.

He waits until her attention shifts to the shark-man before he speaks to speak. His smile wide and look confident. "I be not a politician but I be a strong diplomat when required. King has agreed to move yarr and this stuff to an island off ta coast of ta city. We be goin' forward with it when he arrives back; the faster, the better. Yarr don't mind if I be overseein' it to make sure nothin' goes wrong, aye?" He crosses his arms in pride as he waits for Kim's hopefully positive response. He takes a look at the other spiders to see if they might react similarly or differently to Kim as well.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-10-17 at 02:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291

Arachne grins widely, an act that looks uncannily like a large predator baring its fangs at you. "I'm amazed. King must be desperate to cut his losses. I wonder if my little stunt was the deciding factor, or if he's afraid you might make him look bad in the press. Maybe both?"

"Faster the better is right, love. Need to be out of the building before he changes his mind. And he will." Arachne begins piling things haphazardly into boxes. The spiders don't react one way or another to the news. The new "little" spider hangs tenaciously from the toy mouse, and Rosie scuttles eagerly over to greet you, but the rest simply wander around the room and the floor.

"I don't mind having you here one bit. It would be reassuring, actually. King will be far less likely to try something foolish in your presence. So where is this island, anyway? 'Off the coast of the city' doesn't tell me a great deal, darling. Most islands are off the coast. If they weren't, they wouldn't be islands, after all."
    Last edited by ripleycat; 2012-10-17 at 05:20 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #292

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard tries not to think of what made King decide to go with his request, or at least say he did. In this case though it mattered less on how and why and more on the fact that it simply happened. Usually that is enough for Sharkguard. He lacks the brains to calculate and predict every move people make; he's a brawler and a brute even if he can be diplomatic when needed. Being straightforward is usually the way to go for him, even if things get complicated due to his often predictability.

Seeing Rosie coming to greet him, Sharkguard bends down to hug the spider... Or try to anyway. Arachnids of larger size is something of a new thing for the shark-man. For his attempt, Sharkguard gets his arms from under Rosie's two front legs and brings his arms up to hold the spider's body gently. "Gonna be missin' yarr," he mentions before letting go and looking back up at Arachne.

He takes a moment to think before responding to the spider-lady. "Well this island be a little north of ta city. Best I remember, had an abandoned town that'd be good to populate for yarr spiders. Gots some nice fruit and enough small rodents to live off of. Just don't be expectin' any sort of wild boars or bears. Ta very least, yarr should enjoy the room yarr be given." He smiles again. "One more mentionin'. I was wonderin' if it'd be possible I can take a visit every couple months or so. Just to be sure nothin' be wrong there." Considering Kim is left to her own devices on the island, the shark-man decided it might be for the best if he makes sure she doesn't do something like create a 100-ft tall rampaging spider or end up with super-intelligent spiders revolting against her.

Sharkguard takes one last look down at Rosie. His voice curious, quiet, and anxious. "...Gots to say I be wonderin' what yarr spiders will be like if they gain human intelligence."

23. - Top - End - #293

"That sounds quite adequate, actually. Should serve my- our purposes just fine. And should this actually work out, you will always be welcome." Kim shunts the first full box of her stuff towards one of the big spiders, who dutifully picks it up in its jaws and pulls it over to the door. The scientist smiles as she sees Rosie's affection for you, and reaches over to nuzzle the oversized arachnid.

"She's taken quite a shine to you, and likewise, if I'm not mistaken. Fine judge of people, aren't you, love? Very bright already, too. You know, I do need to leave a subject or two here as a control group. Would you be willing to look after her?"

At the question about human-level intelligence, Arachne just shrugs and grins madly. "I don't know. Isn't that wonderful? A genuine mystery unfolding right before my eyes. I suspect they will be as fractious and varied as humans themselves are, but I will do my best to instill them with a sense of responsibility."

It's just over half an hour later, with Arachne putting the finishing touches on her hurried packing and having herded all of the spiders into the office, which makes it incredibly crowded and very spidery, when a voice crackles through on your walkie-talkie.

"Sharkguard? Are you there? It's Saravati. Mr. King is on his way down! He's got some security with him, try not to let anything bad happen! We've had enough of that for one day."

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard looks almost embarrassed as Kim asks him to look after Rosie. He wouldn't mind looking after someone, but his problem would be making sure Rosie would be fine on her own, or with Alyssa. He knows he can't take the giant spider everywhere he goes but he'd rather not leave an overgrown spider alone in the city. After a small bit of hesitation, the shark-man nods before hiding any worry with a confident, "Well... If yarr be leavin' one of yarr spiders behind, the lil' one here will be perfect." He gently nuzzles Rosie while thinking of how in the world he is going to be explaining this to Alyssa.

Hearing that Arachne will be attempting to give her spiders a sense of responsibility makes Sharkguard give a respectful nod while looking at the horribly-cramped office room with a rather surprised look. Nothing describes a "living wall" like he is seeing right now. He picks up the walkie-talkie very quickly when Saravati picks up. "Gonna be there to greet him," he responds as he makes for the door again. He turns back to quickly mention to Kim, "Well looks like we be beginnin' shortly. Hope yarr be ready!" With that he works his way to the entrance to the fifth sublevel, where he'll meet King and hopefully have everything organized. Sharkguard will also keep Rosie from following; best not to let the fact that the shark-man is keeping a large spider be known.

25. - Top - End - #295

A whistle and a few words from Kim keep Rosie in the room while you make your way across the floor to head off King.

As Saravati warned, the CEO has a squad of Majestic's in-house security with him. They resemble riot police, with black-and-white Kevlar armor and helmets, sub-machine guns, and large fiberglass shields. Despite the intimidating appearance, they seem understandably nervous about following the head honcho into a dark basement to meet with a herd of giant spiders. Mr. King is still wearing a cardigan, slacks, and an ascot, which makes the guards seem all the more out of place. Unlike the nervous security squad, King seems totally at ease. As you approach, he strides forward, turning on that broad salesman's smile.

"Ah, there's the man of the hour! Don't mind these fellows, a precaution, nothing more. So long as Dr. Hunter keeps the promises she's made to you, there will be nothing to worry about, I assure you. Now, she and her... cargo, as it were, will be escorted up the stairs and directly out to the shipping entrance, where three semi-trailers are waiting. Once they are loaded, they will be driven directly to Majestic Industries' facility at Pier 13 in the docklands, where I am told one of our freighters has just been unloaded. It should be able to take Dr. Hunter and her test subjects directly to the island you have selected. Majestic's role and responsibilities in this matter will immediately end once unloading is complete. That is the offer as it stands, Dr. Hunter is welcome to take it or leave it, but there will be no further negotiation."

Having said his piece, King puts his arms behind his back and clears his throat. "Is Dr. Hunter prepared to leave the premises? I realize this is all coming together on short notice, but the faster this situation is resolved the better for all involved, I think."

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #296

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard notes the riot police-like squad as he stands calmly awaiting the CEO. The shark-man didn't really think the guards were needed but would not argue against their being here. Instead he focuses on King as he stands straight up and speaks calmly. "There should be no problems with the offer. I have discussed this with her and she is ready to leave. Packing was a little hurried but it is ready to go and no further wait will be needed." He then takes a look at the guards and their nervousness. He shakes his head slowly before asking, "If it is alright with you King, I would also like to oversee the move as well to make sure it all goes smoothly."

Sharkguard waits for a response before heading downstairs to show the CEO and the guards what will be moved. The shark-man hopes that his presence will keep the spiders from panicking at the sight of the guards. He almost forgets that he should make sure this move goes to plan first before he thinks on what happens after.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-10-22 at 01:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297

"I don't see why not. You may accompany Dr. Hunter, but do try to keep a low profile if possible. The less of this gets into the press, the better. Besides, you'll be better security than anything our money can buy. No offense intended, boys." King turns and gives one of those disarming smiles to the security team. The men don't respond the way you'd think, looking positively ashen. One of them yelps and scrabbles back up the stairs a few steps before controlling himself.

Turning around, you realize that the security team aren't reacting to the boss's bad joke, but to the sight slowly marching down the hall behind you. Arachne's gotten the spiders moving. They completely fill the hall behind her, and if you weren't already on speaking terms with her, the sight alone would be a pretty convincing case that the good doctor was a supervillain.

Some of the bigger spiders are carrying Arachne's boxed up gear in their jaws, while the spider queen herself has hefted one of the bulky lab machines on her back like it's nothing more than a bag of groceries. The little spider she was playing with perched on her shoulder. "Sharkguard, would you be a dear and bring the molecular destabilizer?" She points casually to the device that had all the strange energy seeping out of it when she transformed the spider. "It's awkward, and I'd like a hand free."

King does his best to take the whole thing in stride. "Dr. Hunter. You've caused a great deal of damage today, injured several of my employees, and if the reports I've been given are accurate, stolen several thousand dollars worth of Majestic Industries property. You may thank Sharkguard for ending this peaceably. It is not the solution I would have chosen."

"Save your breath, King. I know what you think of me. The same thing you think about everyone else on the planet- that we're nothing but tools and playthings for you to dabble with and dispose of when you've lost interest. I'm ready to leave. Are you going to get out of our way, or are my darlings going to get to have their supper early today?"

The CEO glares daggers at the rogue scientist, and steps back behind the shield wall formed by the security team, who drops into a firing line. Despite your presence, he seems to be reconsidering the situation after Arachne's insults.

Spoiler
    Show
    I realized I used dark red for both King and Arachne, so she will now be speaking in green.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard stands arms crossed as he watches Arachne walk up with her family of spiders just behind her. He isn't surprised by the guards' reactions; they don't have anywhere near as much experience as he does. Before he could even motion over to the molecular destabilizer, he sees Kim already bad-mouthing the CEO and pressuring the moving to be terminated. Going to use guns as the solution is pretty much the last outcome Sharkguard wanted; quickly he moves in-between the firing squad and the spider-lady.

Though the shark-man is on Kim's side here, this is in the CEO's hands and he decides it's better to agree with the one in charge than the one lashing out the insults whether just or not. Crudely making an unamused face, Sharkguard sternly looks at Kim and says, "This isn't the time nor the place for insults. We had agreed to move you out as soon as possible and that was the deal given to you. Take it or leave it, there are no further negotiations. I want you to have this chance to take the offer, so if you think for what is best for you and your friends, I suggest you not jeopardize yourself by throwing casual insults out, aye?" Aside from the ending tic, Sharkguard's lack of his usual accent might come as a surprise to Kim. He's making his point clear however, she has a chance to leave and she's close to blowing it and finding herself in a jail cell instead... Or worse.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sharkguard is trying to pacify Kim's attitude (and hopefully keep this moving still available) without violence from anyone happening. Lemme know if a Diplomacy or Intimidation is needed. I think this leans more to Intimidation though.

29. - Top - End - #299

Several of the spiders growl, and so does their creator, but after a few tense moments Arachne gives you a curt nod. "Very well. For you, Sharkguard. Though I disagree with your description. My insults are not casual. I mean every word, dear."

With that parting shot, Kim steps back and waits for the CEO to respond. King smiles acidly and motions to his men. "The big fellow is, as is becoming usual it seems, quite correct. Let them through." They don't need to be told twice, backing away quickly to make a path for Arachne and her pets. Some of the security squad are having a hard time not staring at the 8-foot tall bombshell spider-hybrid. It's a safe bet that they won't be seeing anyone else quite like her today. At the back of the group, one trooper finally snaps and dashes madly back up the stairs, screaming something about spiders as he goes. Bringing an arachnophobe down here was probably not the best move.

Both King and Kim chuckle at that, finally breaking the standoff. "Ah well, what are you going to do? I'll make sure he gets overtime for this."

Kim's convoy reaches the lobby without incident. It's deserted, save for a pair of guards. King doubtless had everyone removed to avoid contact with the spiders.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard waits for a path up to form before going to pick up the molecular destabilizer. He takes care in lifting it, not wanting to damage it or accidentally set off something due to how the device works. Destroying mad scientists' machines in the past has often led to them exploding while spewing mostly-harmful chemicals and/or gas, along with the typical machinery and shrapnel. Perhaps it has made the shark-man a little paranoid but he does his best not to think about how explosive this destabilizer might be. He'd rather not know why either; he usually gets a headache when a mechanical expert tries to explain how such machines work.

As one of the riot guards panics and hurries his leave, Sharkguard freezes still at the sight. It's only when King and Kim chuckle from the reaction that the shark-man relaxes. He'd like to chuckle along with them but he'd had about enough tension of diplomacy for one day. Instead he quietly moves up to the lobby where he gently places the machine he's carrying next to the door. Though he'd want to find something to discuss, he feels it's best to avoid speaking up to avoid anyone else from hearing; this is unless that some discussion could be used to help ease the tension from everyone but Sharkguard feels this isn't the case here.

"I'll take a quick look outside," he says as, so long as the CEO has no issue with it, peeks his head out to the Shipping Entrance be sure that the semi-trailers are there and not a crowd of press that would make this moving a lot harder to hide. So long as it's going to plan, Sharkguard will assist with loading as needed.