New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Sharkguard: The Sea-Roaring Defender IC

Sandstone seems to consider the fight over. She's shrunk back down to her usual size, and is scavenging through the wreckage of the armored truck for any valuables that might have survived its use as a hammer.

The office workers are cowed and calmed by your booming voice. There's nobody trapped in the wreckage, at least. The office materials are pretty light, and those caught up in your tumbling entrance have been able to pull themselves free. They're still understandably panicked and frightened, but at least they're listening to you, hurrying for the exits rather than running around like headless chickens.
    Lovely Gorgon avatar by smuchmuch!

Excellent Ex-avatar Collection
    Spoiler
    Show

Air Ace and Gremlin by the superb kpenguin.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard
    HP: 1
    Cond: Normal

With the office floor under control by way of being safely emptied, Sharkguard turns his attention to the hole he "entered" from. Looking outside, he squints his eyes to try and see how far he was sent flying. He still sees Sandstone, seemingly looking around for anything she can nab her hands on. Pretty typical nature to him; when one feels that they are safe, they salvage what they can before they take off. If the shark-man is quick enough, he may be able to catch up before long.

Sharkguard looks down at the ground next to the building he is in. He notes how long a drop it might be and checks for an open space not occupied that he can land. Once found, the shark-man jumps out of the hole and falls down to the ground like a cannonball, hitting the ground on his feet with a fist downwards to help support the landing. Once on the ground, Sharkguard begins to dash back to where he and Sandstone fought.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jumping out to the ground, hopefully not hitting anything in the meantime. Afterwards, will try to Move-All-Out to reach Sandstone as soon as possible.

3. - Top - End - #423

Despite the great thump when you hit the ground, Sandstone doesn't seem to notice you getting back into the fight. She's too preoccupied with tearing up the armored truck (it looks like she found a bag of coins jammed under one of the bits of wreckage).

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolled a notice check in secret, nat 1. Go ahead and keep moving if you want, it'll take more than a round to reach her.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #424

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard

Sharkguard could smirk a bit as he notices Sandstone seemingly unaware of his charge towards her. The villainness seems all too interested in getting her cash out of the truck rather than checking to be sure no one else is coming after her. Not that the shark-man can always blame her; on occasion he ends up getting a bit carried away in having fun when fighting villains and criminals which can result in issues of his own. In this case, he's simply focused on taking out Sandstone now that she's had her fun trying to flatten and throw him several hundred feet away.

Sharkguard continues charging towards his opponent while he has the element of surprise. Though quick, his movement is not supersonic and dashes about as well as an athletic person. His size instead gives off a heavy *THUMP* sound as the concrete breaks and cracks where his feet land. He could definitely be more dramatic in his running or walking if he chooses; a fun tactic to scare the less-experienced villains. This time, it's all about getting back into the fray of battle as soon as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Definitely still moving towards Sandstone via Move All-Out. I think I'll reach her by the round after this one if my calculations are correct (still needs two move actions next round for it)

5. - Top - End - #425

At the cracking sound, Sandstone finally looks up. She sighs and shakes her head, shouting. "You just can't call it a day, can you? You always have to play the hero. It's like you're addicted to it. I threw you through a building. You could have called it a day, gone off and busted some other dumb sap, let me go with my grand haul of $5,000, but no. I gotta beat the tar outta you again. All right, come get some, Sharky."

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #426

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard

Sharkguard looks almost amused at Sandstone's shouting. Continuing towards her, the shark-man retorts loudly to the villainness in response. "Well what can I be sayin'? Bein' ta hero be lots o' fun. A seafarer takes their life as they please so long as they enjoy it. It ain't an addiction, just how I be livin'." He does his best to hide his heavy breathing; generally he expands more energy running on land rather than swimming in the water. A strong enough attitude can hide anything in the shark-man's own mind.

"'Sides, can't I say yarr doin' ta same? Could've called it a day yarrself and simply leave without ta booty. Always have to get yarr pay; too stubborn to quit and always knockin' heads with the heroes. Got it in yarr landlubbin' head why I enjoy this life o' mine?" Despite this, Sharkguard finds it like this when he gets his way, taking out the villain and saving the day. As life goes, it doesn't always happen. The tanker incident awhile back was one such time. He makes sure to do his best not to let such a thing occur again, though there's only so much one brute can do when magic, psionic powers, flight, and super-speed aren't available to him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure whether I'm in range of attacking Sandstone yet, but I am assuming not yet.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-05-16 at 08:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #427

Sandstone shakes her head. "Yeah, yeah, so I like fighting too. Wouldja rather I split, sharky? I could, you know. Just melt away and take my goodies with me?"

Spoiler
    Show
    My sense of the movement and distance rules is terrible. Let's just say you'll be in range on your next post.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #428

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard
    HP: 1 -> 0

"And where be ta fun in that?" Sharkguard shouts as he finally reaches up back to where he and Sandstone were battling. He gives a gruff chuckle before stating, "Also don't be forgettin' that yarr got's to work for ta wealth. Plunderin' like yarr did ain't count as it. Til yarr get it, yarr gonna melt away with me fist!" Finally paying off his multi-hundred meter charge, the shark-man makes a running jump at Sandstone, bringing his right arm at the villainness with as much force as he is able to give out!

Spoiler
    Show
    Going for a charge attack, full on Power and All-Out Attack on Sandstone: (1d20+9)[12] DC 37 Toughness if hits.

EDIT: Used an HP to reroll the attack. New result is 22
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-05-18 at 11:48 PM.

9. - Top - End - #429

"Aw crap."

Sandstone takes the mighty leaping blow directly to the chin, and she drops like, well a load of rocks, hitting the pavement with a dull *clunk*.

It doesn't take long after the superbattle ends for the police to arrive, a powerful response, with the SWAT team and lots of cruisers to back them up. They probably figured they were going to have to take on the supervillainess by themselves.

The police are unusually wary around you. Suspicious looks, muttering under their breath. Not the reception you'd expect for the city's greatest hero. A STAR Squad unit arrives a few minutes later with a sealed container to take Sandstone away in. One of the police approaches you once she's dealt with.

"Thank you for dealing with Sandstone. She's a headache, no mistake. Looks like she did a lot of damage. Listen... Sharkguard. I figure someone should set the record straight here, so you understand. It's not that we don't trust you, not after all you've done, but... this morning a body was found in the Wading River. No identification yet, but they were killed by what was pretty obviously a sharkbite, in a place where sharks shouldn't be able to go. It makes our list of suspects short."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sandstone is knocked out. End combat time.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #430

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard finally manages to ease off a bit as he knocks out Sandstone. Battles like these sometime come off to him like two stubborn bulls bashing heads against each other; never pretty, generally rough, and adrenaline-rushing from start to finish. The shark-man generally enjoys such fights so long as collateral damage isn't through the roof. He'll need a bit of time to clean up the mess here in this case.

As things frequently go however, his plan does not work out. He ignores his concerns about the suspicious looks and muttering from the police as waves his hand over to greet them. Worries or issues with the shark-man don't generally last more than a short time unless they're a supervillain.

What Sharkguard had not expected however was the news one of the police officers told him. In an instant his smile fades, his heart sinks, and his mood overall dampens when he's told about the suspicion towards him. His voice mimics the shock in his face, with a slight feeling of distaste in it as he nearly slips his accent. "What? What, no yarr got's to be jokin'. What in ta great abyss of ta sea would I be gettin' out of eatin' someone?!" Sharkguard finds his temper slipping for just a moment, and mentally holds himself from lashing out needlessly. He couldn't imagine himself as a human-eater; that's something he'd only see in his nightmares.

Finding little else he can follow up on his response, the shark-man sighs, barely gritting his teeth as he asks the officer in a quiet, disbelieving, and damp tone, ditching the accent for the question. "Can I see the body at least?" Sharkguard had an inkling on who or what might have caused this; he will need to see the body for himself first.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-05-22 at 03:16 PM.

11. - Top - End - #431

"Look, I'm just the messenger. I don't think you'd do anything like that, but evidence is evidence, and like I said, the list of sharks in town is short. I'm just warning you what the folks upstairs are thinking. This isn't official yet. If it were, we'd be bringing you in for questioning."

"Can I see the body at least?"
    "We can do that, at least. Body's at the Hanover morgue." The officer hands you a business card with the address on it. "Here. I'll let them know you'll be coming by."

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #432

SwashbucklerGuy

"Aye," Sharkguard dryly responds to the police officer as he takes the business card. The dirt and gravel-covered shark-man finds no other words to say, instead giving a final nod to the officer and begins to leave the area. On the way there, he imagines his theory and how this could end. Sharkguard made the announcement on another shark-man back during the tanker situation; it wouldn't be hard to suspect that Sharkguard's "evil twin" set this up for the sake of revenge. The hero could expose this foe and find him guilty for his crimes, if such a task was ever simple.

The alternate outcome that could never leave Sharkguard's mind would be that he'd be put in prison, whether for questioning or for a false presumption that he is guilty. The shark hero is terrified of having to be locked in a cell, possibly with other supervillains he put in beforehand. Such a place was not for him; he deserved to be free in the wide open seas, not the insufferable black walls designed to hold supervillains. The thought of him being in prison is the most horrible thing he can imagine experiencing. His heart races in fear and he could feel his stomach twist at such a thought.

Sharkguard tries not to think about it too hard. When often in an uncomfortable mood, he goes to get a drink... or a half-dozen, depending on his thirst. Here he has no time to try and relax. He has a job to do, even if he'll get no such thrill from it. Staggeringly and with a desire to not present worry, he marches towards the Hanover Morgue so he can get a look at the deceased person. The situation can't be as bad as the shark-man imagines, right?
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-05-26 at 08:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #433

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry! I thought I posted this ages ago!

The Hanover District Morgue is an anonymous and out of the way slab of grey concrete, as befits its unpleasant purpose. The guards allow Sharkguard in unimpeded, though a hero of his caliber gets a few strange looks (and a couple of dirty ones) for showing up at their facility.

Inside, Sharkguard is met by a medical examiner. "Welcome, Sharkguard. They told us you might be coming by. The victim is right through here, follow me."

"I know you must have a fair amount of experience with such things, given your profession, but I must warn you, the wounds are traumatic."

You are led into a refrigerated room with steel cabinets lining the walls. The medical examiner opens one of them and rolls out the body for viewing. The victim is a man in his early 30's. From his weathered features and ratty personal effects stored with him, it seems safe to assume he was homeless. His body is unnaturally pale, probably caused by it being in the water for a while, and has many cuts and bruises. Again, it's impossible to know it they were inflicted before death or after it, by the rushing of the river.

All of that is secondary to the man's leg. Or rather, his lack of one. His left leg has been messily severed- no, torn from his body at mid-thigh, leaving uneven strips of flesh and a jagged bone spur. Such a wound would have caused the man to bleed out in seconds. It may have been a horrible way to go, but if nothing else it was quick.

"Given where he was found, it rules out a "traditional" shark attack. The Wading River is freshwater, and the body would have had to be moved by an outsider to have ended up where it was if the attack took place in the ocean. Police are assuming that the victim was chosen because he would not be missed, and it may be cruel, but they are probably right, save for the victim washing up near a busy bridge."

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #434

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard is never fond of the Hanover District Morgue. A hero never likes to see the bodies that have been moved to here, much less when it's someone that they're involved with in some manner. Morgues tend to be one of the least friendly places the shark-man knows of; for that he'd not want to stay here longer than needed. The walk to here had helped calm him a bit from the initial shock of being suspected, now residing more calmly, if quieter than he's used to.

Sharkguard gives a small smile and silent nod to the medical examiner as he's taken to the body. While he wouldn't call it "traumatic," the wounds definitely are gruesome to the shark-man's eyes. No matter how many times he sees such a sight, he can never get used to it. The torn-out leg socket, aside from being the most eye-catching wound for all the wrong reasons, is familiar in that it reminded him of one of the deceased sailors back on the tanker. If there were any doubts to Sharkguard as to who did this, they're gone by now.

"This ain't a new sight to me eyes," he finally says to the examiner after giving a look at the body. Unlike before, Sharkguard speaks with a sense of keenness and focus, not like the boisterous, loud-and-proud attitude he usually presents even if he still has the accent. "If yarr heard 'bout ta oil tanker that came in trouble some time ago, I saved one o' ta sailors there. That be ta time I told ta news about another predator that attacked it. Ta sailor stated somethin' 'bout another shark-man that caused ta wreck. Described it like me, but longer, leaner, deeper shade of blue, and ain't as big." His eyes dart back to where the deceased man's leg would be. "Found another sailor there; too late to help. Left arm bitten off. Reminds me of how this poor guy be. Gets me ta feelin' that I be knowin' who caused this." Sharkguard figures that the attention he gave the other shark-man had caused the latter to force his hand on the matter. This was his revenge, if not only the start of it.

Finishing his explanation, Sharkguard takes an observing look on the dead, homeless man. Looking for some more clues, he asks the examiner, "Did yarr pick up anythin' else on ta man when he be found? Any prizes, items, even any sort o' dirt, gravel, grass, or sand be on his skin before? Might help to give a lead to follow."

Spoiler
    Show
    No problem for the delay. You're running a lot of games atm so I can't blame you.

If it might mean anything, I'd like to diagnose the homeless, deceased man for any clues or hints that might help. If Sharkguard has the time, I'll take 10 for a result of 20.

15. - Top - End - #435

The medical examiner shifts uncomfortably. "Well, technically we're not supposed to give away details like that until an investigation is closed, but I suppose you're already part of it, really. As for other items and things that might help you, there isn't much. He didn't have anything but his clothes when they brought him in. I can show you exactly where he was found, at least. It was near a rather busy bridge over the Wading River, which was how the body was spotted in the first place. It's a common place for the homeless to congregate, so he may not have drifted far. Of course, you could say that about any of the bridges, so they're still looking into it. It is the closest thing we have to a place to start looking."

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #436

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard nods to what the examiner says as he looks on at the homeless corpse. He just has a simple, minor lead to follow; more than nothing, yet not very satisfying. A detective could follow this lead and snatch the real killer without much problems while less-intellectual people like himself likely has his work cut out for him. Even if it does take one shark-man to catch another, it may feel like a wild goose chase to Sharkguard. As things stand however, there isn't anything else he can do right now.

"I'd appreciate that," the shark-man says to the examiner, still speaking keenly but now with a degree of somberness. It was clear in his voice that he didn't want to be in this moodset, no matter how serious this situation is. "Show me ta bridge and I be takin' it over from there. Ain't like to be standin' around with a crime like this let lie like fish on concrete." Sharkguard reminds himself that he doesn't have time to have fun for the rest of the day. His pride wouldn't let him rest on this job, nor go home to see Alyssa until this situation is resolved.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-06-08 at 07:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #437

The examiner leads you out of the body storage room and over to the morgue's main office, where a highly detailed map of the city. He marks a spot on the Wading River, a few minutes walk from the morgue itself, and writes out street directions for you.

"It's not actually that far from here, distance-wise. And... good luck. If this beast you've described is responsible, I hope you can track it down before it strikes again. Do be quick, though. Unless you can find some evidence to the contrary, you're the number one suspect, and I fear the police may have to take action to avoid a panic, even if it's not the correct action."

When you arrive at the bridge, things are mostly back to normal. Traffic is flowing, and only a couple of squad cars remain to keep things moving. Down below on the riverbank, the police investigation has wrapped up, leaving you free to take a look around yourself without interference.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #438

SwashbucklerGuy

Avoiding the open streets of Freedom City usually doesn't come to Sharkguard's mind when on superhero work, but in this case he's making an exception. Much to his expense, walking in plain sight while being suspected of murder might not be a good thing for his reputation. Always good for him to be on the news about his latest superhero acts; being on the press for a murder is a horrible sight for him to visually imagine. The shark-man is silent for the time.

At least it is a short walk to the bridge. Upon arriving, Sharkguard's first instinct is to look down from the bridge to the water below. The examiner had mentioned that the body washed up here, so it would help the shark-man to give an idea as to which direction the body came from. It's more likely that the clues he'd find would actually be under the water than on-land but he does not want to waste too much time going back and forth. He takes a quick look out in the distance of the river, just in case there's something far off in the distance to set his eyes on.

Afterwards, the shark-man takes a look out at areas in sight of the bridge that the man could have washed up from. He'd take a close look at each of those places, as well as the ground of the bridge itself, to see if he can catch a scent of anything out-of-the-ordinary or otherwise a sign only a shark could pick up. Sharkguard has his shark senses to assist him so no harm in making use of them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Time for some inspection! Looking for the direction of the water flow, as well as the possible areas that the deceased man could have washed up from. Sharkguard has Accurate: Smell; Acute: Taste, and Tracing 2: Bioelectric Signals if any of those will assist.

And some general rolls if any of them help:
    Notice: (1d20+6)[22]
    Search: (1d20+4)[14]
    Investigate: (1d20)[9]
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-06-12 at 07:26 PM.

19. - Top - End - #439

So far, all of the crimes have taken place near water, albeit both fresh and salt water. This could just be taking advantage of the natural strengths of any shark, or it could indicate that the creature is amphibious, unable to stay out of water for very long. That would certainly narrow the area you need to search. If this other sharkman is like you, however, he could be anywhere.

The scent of the dead man isn't as strong as you'd think here, but as the medical examiner said the bridge is very busy. It's unlikely the victim was washed up here for very long before someone noticed him. While weak, the scent is strong enough to track upriver if you want, for a little ways at least. The constant flow of water is going to wash away any sort of trail before you get too far.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...Water flow? You're in a river, the water is probably flowing in the direction the water is flowing. Not really something you need to roll for, unless I'm misunderstanding what you're after?

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #440

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, sorry. The rolls were for general examining and searching around the bridge and shore for any clues. The water flow was mostly to figure out if going upstream (where the body came from) would lead or go pass a certain area that might be important in some form.

Sharkguard doesn't stay around for too long at the crime scene, pressured by time to find the actual culprit. What he does find helps a bit in his own opinion. He doubts that the opposing shark-man is truly amphibious. Sharkguard himself needs more water than usual to stay above water but he can't imagine one who had torn through an oil tanker couldn't go without water for long... On the other hand, the other shark-man could need water and can't stay on land long, which would have resulted in a hastened job at sabotaging the tanker that allowed Sharkguard to save it in time. This is all presuming the other shark-man even did that.

Sharkguard wipes his brow with the palm of his hand. Thinking of theories and outcomes gives him a headache. "Less talking, more hitting!" is a phrase he likes to follow to the letter when it isn't inconvenient. Hopefully his search will lead up to that eventually. He isn't going to get to that from where he is now though. Having everything he can figure out from this place, Sharkguard begins swimming upstream, following the scent however much he can while using his other senses to pick up anything else of potential.

As he travels, he takes in the sounds of Freedom City. The people, the streets, the activity; it's everything he knows and loves... Yet at the same time, Sharkguard feels a strange disconnect with it that he hasn't felt in a long time, perhaps ever. He isn't sure if it's his general silence, the enjoyment of being around people when he has to avoid them right now, or the sense of doubt authorities have on him for being a suspect. Among all the loudness of the city as he swims upward the river, Sharkguard can't help but quietly sigh to himself, "Ta day be too damn quiet for my likin'..."
    Last edited by Starsign; 2013-06-19 at 08:55 PM.