New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Sharkguard: The Sea-Roaring Defender IC

Beaumont looked sideways at the nosy CEO. "I was merely offering my friend a drink, but I suppose someone who wasn't involved could make that mistake." His smile returns as he turns to you. "Though if we are going to have a toast, I like your idea, Sharkguard." Picking up his glass, he faces the rest of the elite guests and calls out in a voice used to cutting through the racket of a bustling newspaper office.

"Ahem! Ladies and gentlemen! A moment of your time, please! On the excellent suggestion of our esteemed guest, I would like to propose a little toast. Here's to this wonderful event, and to the noble cause that's brought us all here today!"

A few of the more highborn, old money guests look a bit miffed at Beaumont's lack of decorum, and a few others, including the Rosses, look positively angry at being roped into something you've suggested, but the newspaper magnate's words do the trick; nobody wants to be the one who refuses to toast a cause as innocent as raising money for sick children.

"Here, here! Well said!" King chimes in. "Well, Sharkguard, there's your toast. Will you join in?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard almost regretted suggesting the idea to Beaumont as he sees the former superhero begin rounding everyone up for a toast. While he couldn't tell what the CEO was thinking, the shark-man could clearly see the Rosses weren't pleased by it, almost antagonized even. Despite that though, Sharkguard figured the Rosses wouldn't openly speak their anger or frustration, at least not here. He would try to avoid antagonizing them further for the rest of this meeting.

Sharkguard nods to King as he raises a glass of his own. The fragility of the glass made him wary of his own strength. It'd be bad to shatter it in a time like this. "Of course!" He spoke in response to the CEO. "Let us toast to this wonderful event and wish that it's success shall be grand as planned!" Considering things don't often go as planned however, Sharkguard really was wishing on the inside.

3. - Top - End - #33

After the toast, the Ross clan retreat to one of the far corners of the large tent, brushing past you and talking quietly to each other. You pick out the word "monster" amid the mumbling.

"There's just no pleasing some people." Beaumont grumbles, watching the haughty pair go by.

"Ain't that the truth." King nods. The man had a reputation as someone who'd eat a kitten on national TV if it would turn him enough of a profit, but he was justifiably proud of the good Majestic Industries' charitable wing did. The hospital was one of their big recipients. It benefited him just as much as you to have the event go smoothly, and he seemed irked at those who weren't playing along.

"Say now, Sharkguard, while I've got you here, I was wondering if perhaps I could talk to you about a little proposal some of my researchers pitched to me a few weeks back. The shift from enthusiastic philanthropist to silky salesman is subtle. King simply knows how to work people.

"The head of our biomedical division is a super-nut. She loves you heroes. Never seems to stop talking about whoever's saved the world that week, and all that gossip that springs up around heroes and movie stars and other famous types, you know? Honestly, it's a bit of an obsession, but she did come up with something worth investigating, I think. There are many heroes who have abilities us normal folks envy. I don't just mean super-strength, or flying around like a bird or a plane. Other things, that are really more important in the grand scheme of the world. Boosted immune systems, or immunity to poisons. You don't see a lot of heroes under the weather."

"She wants to study as many heroes would be willing, to see if maybe we couldn't crack a few of those mysterious abilities. If just one or two examinations bear fruit, medicine could jump forward years. A lot of nasty afflictions might go the way of smallpox and polio, eradicated. Now, a lot of the official parts of this are below my position, but it seems foolish not to use a free moment with a great hero to help her cause."

"A few hours with the docs could save as many people as stopping any of those crazies you fight each day. Would you be willing?"

4. - Top - End - #34

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard took no care of what the Rosses thought of him. It was very annoying how they took plain anger at him. At least King had the hospitality to pretend to play by the rules; it usually worked out better for the CEO, for better or worse of the city at whole. Of course, Sharkguard had to follow along to keep his own reputation. He didn't really have any sort of charisma or talent of the voice like King did, so trying to pick out ideas in tight situations usually never boiled down to "loophole your way out of it." This situation was frankly no different.

With a small sigh on the inside, Sharkguard gave a small chuckle to King and Beaumont. "An obsession can work both ways so long as it isn't something the head isn't endlessly talking about when she should be doing her work," he responds in a semi-lighthearted tone, almost tempted to let his accent out again. "So long as she doesn't get out of control, I'd love to provided you'll be able to find a way past all the red tape and rules that halt such ideas." By "past" Sharkguard referred to convincing, however he was pretty sure King would just rather go around it instead, regardless of how rocky that kind of traveling would be for the shark-man. "We should however discuss this sometime else. Wouldn't want this idea to overshadow the fundraiser now."

After saying that, he turns to Beaumont for just a moment. He knew the retired hero would not agree with the shark-man. Alas, Sharkguard did not really have a good way with words.

5. - Top - End - #35

"Wonderful, wonderful! Dr. Simhalan won't make things uncomfortable, I assure you. She may be quite the fan, but she's the soul of professionalism on the job." King offers you a broad (and slightly unsettling) grin and a handshake that would be quite firm, if he wasn't trying to move your hand up and down. As it is, the CEO just awkwardly waggles his arm before letting go.

"Normally, there's quite a bit of form-filling and paper shuffling involved with getting a new hero involved in the program, but I should be able to circumvent most of that for you. Being at the top of the pyramid does have its perks, after all. If everything goes to plan, we will be in touch in a day or two. It's not an overwhelming procedure, should just cost you a morning, nothing more."

"Ah, Hieronymus, I'm sure Sharkguard is just as happy as you are to be part of this program, but I wonder if I could speak with my friend privately for a few moments?" Beaumont pipes up. His voice is light, but his expression doesn't match it.

"Of course." King holds his hands up disarmingly. "I should be on my way to the stands, anyway. Must keep up appearances. A pleasure to meet you, Sharkguard, and I'll speak to you again soon."

As the CEO leaves you alone, the former Bowman shakes his head and speaks urgently, but quietly. "I know it's not proper to refuse somone like Mr. King in a setting like this, but... be on your guard if you go through with this, you got me? The man is a wolf in sheep's clothing, and Majestic Industries has been investigated many times. Not to say this isn't legitimate. It may very well be, and if so would be a worthy cause, to say the least. Just... think about what a company that powerful might want to do with your DNA beyond trying to cure sick and disabled people, all right? Maybe I'm paranoid, a newspaperman seeing a story where there isn't one, but better safe than sorry, right?"

As Beaumont speaks his mind, Joseph Silva appears at the tent entrance behind him and mimics knocking on a door. "Good Morning, ladies and gentlemen. I'm afraid I have to steal your superheroes, folks. Getting to be time for the first events to kick off, and we've got a full day today, need to keep to the schedule. The VIP seats are prepared, for those who wish to get settled in before the fun starts."

6. - Top - End - #36

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard tries his best to ignore King once he accepts the CEO's offer. A day or two could mean the most inconceivable time ever. Sharkguard hoped that it wouldn't happen when him and Alyssa were spending the day at the bay. Regardless, he kept a smile on the scene and nodded quietly at King's explanations. He was almost relived when Beaumont interrupted the conversation. "Right. I'll finish up with Beaumont here and then I'll get ready for the exciting part!" He almost let out a laugh before deciding to hold it in and save it for those feats he'd be doing soon.

Coming over with Beaumont, Sharkguard wasn't too surprised at the concern the retired superhero had. The two were thinking pretty much the same thing on this offer of King's. "Don't worry, I'm well aware of the possible consequences to this. The most I'll be hoping is that some outside force causes an accident that allows me excuse." Sharkguard spoke quietly, as to not attract attention. He is going to make due of what may happen then.

The shark-man's attention then turns to Mr. Silva at the entrance. "Ah... Finally!" Sharkguard became excited to see things moving forward now and decided that now was a good time to get his accent back into play. He practically grabbed Megastar by the arm as he made his way out. He gives a boisterous call to the teen and Johnny Rocket, "Let's give 'em what I and yarr are supposed to do. Aye?"
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-03-13 at 07:16 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

"I can't wait!" Megastar put his hands up in a mock boxing pose. Some of his enthusiasm seems to stem from getting away from the rich folk, no matter what he was headed for.

Joseph smirks and shakes his head, then starts talking in that rapid, words-spilling-out way again as he leads you to the center of the park, where the bleachers and event rings are set up. "Save it for later, Muhammad Ali. Alright, guys, here's the rundown of the morning's events. There's a little something to introduce you to the crowds and show off your strengths. Megastar, you'll be doing that flyover demo, like we discussed. Johnny, Sharkguard, you'll be doing something a little more... ballistic."

"We have a group of soldiers here from McKarren army base, who we asked to participate after a very generous donation. They're going to be doing a little target practice with you. Johnny, you get to show the crowd that you're faster than a speeding bullet, and Sharkguard, that bullets don't mean anything with you."

"Once we've shown them how amazing you are, there's our sparring match between Megastar and Sharkguard, and then Johnny gets his run through the obstacle course. Then we've got all three of you, well, breaking stuff, that all-around strength/skill/speed demo, should be a lot of fun. Then comes our lunch break, and I'll fill you gents in on the afternoon festivities then. Now let's have a good show for the kids, OK? Any questions before we get going? Ask 'em now, things will be hectic for me in-between events."

8. - Top - End - #38

SwashbucklerGuy

Once at the center of the park, Sharkguard listens to Joseph's explanation. He had the temptation to comment about Megastar's planned performance. "A flyover? That sounds too simple a performance for ye," he says to the teen before hearing about his and Johnny's own parts. "Hah! Their bullets should be no less than ta tickle of a mouse." He stretched his neck and arms in preparation. "Any sort ta pose or posture ya want me to do during it?" The shark-man wondered if he ought to try catching bullets with his hands, maybe even his teeth. Of course that was something Johnny was much better at doing for obvious reasons.

When the mention of the sparring match came up, Sharkguard got the need to ask something. "Any rules to 'dis spar? I gotta say I'm tempted to pull a punch for two against yarr Claremont Student." Sharkguard felt pretty bad saying that, but he didn't like the idea of going all out on Megastar and at least had to say it once.

Once that was done and over with however, Sharkguard smashed his two fists together. "Well I'm ready to bring on ta challenge! Ya all make sure to get yarrselves overshadowed by me!" Sharkguard was indeed all pumped up now. Being on camera has never been an issue for him, and this one was no different. Hopefully though his legwear is bulletproof enough.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-03-14 at 08:26 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

"You haven't seen me fly, Sharkguard. I'm just gonna tell you to cover your ears, cause I'll make those rifles you two are dealing with sound like popguns." Megastar grins. "And you don't have to take it easy on me, big guy. I can handle it."

"The sparring will take place in the designated area. There's no leaving it, and no use of ranged powers. Think of it as a boxing match. Don't try to kill each other, but don't pull your punches, either." Joseph answers. "And you know all about looking good for an audience. Whatever poses you want to try are up to you. They'll keep their shots above the waist. We don't want a wardrobe malfunction."

The two firing ranges are set up at the West end of the park. Johnny's is wide open, with lots of room for him to run. Yours is a three sided box of hefty steel and bulletproof glass, to keep the crowd safe while letting them see you. The soldiers, all dressed in their fatigues, rifles at the ready, are a bit in awe of you. "This is nuts. Whoever woulda thought we were ever gonna be shooting someone for charity?"

"S'nothing. I saw him shrug off a rocket launcher on TV once. We're not gonna do Jack."

The soldiers line up about 15 yards in front of you, in line, rifles at the ready. You hear Joseph's voice come on over the park's PA system, quieting the large and enthusiastic crowd. "Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the 1st annual Shriner's Children's Hospital Fundraiser! It's wonderful to see so many people out for a good cause. Today we have three of Freedom City's greatest superheroes, who have agreed to show off their talents in a spectacular display of skill and entertainment. Presenting..."

"...Megastar!" True to his warning, a deafening sonic boom explodes above the park as a silver-black streak shoots past over the heads of the crowd, almost too fast to register. Before anyone except Johnny can react, the streak shoots past again, going the other way, creating another boom, and another and another, like sonic fireworks, as Megastar criss-crosses above the audience in a blur before a landing that rattles windows and shakes tree branches, in the classic "one-knee, fist-down" action hero pose. The crowd goes nuts.

"...Johnny Rocket!" "Fire!" The command of the soldiers is more than enough warning for Johnny, who darts here and there in his firing range, making Megastar look positively snail-like. He ducks through several volleys of single shots before the soldiers decide to unload everything they have. For a second or two the firing range looks and sounds like a warzone as it fills with a swarm of angry lead. You make out the blur that is Johnny dash up and down the walls, over and under every shot, until the guns click on empty and he stops in the dead center of the range, not a hair out of place or a spot on his uniform. With a roguish grin he bows to the soldiers, then turns to the audience and and shrugs, which gets laughs and cheers in equal measure.

"AAANNNNDDD... Sharkguard!" "Fire!" Your soldiers fire off a volley at the pronouncement. They do kind of tickle before ricocheting off your chest, leaving not even a welt. They do what Johnny's soldiers did, firing several (totally ineffective) volleys before they go all out, unloading hundreds of rounds in your direction.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: If you want to try to catch a bullet in your hand or mouth, I'll call it a DC20 reflex check.

Your Impervious overcomes the Damage 6 the assault rifles do. No damage, no toughness roll.

He took your tease personally. Megastar's max flight speed is 5,000 MPH.

10. - Top - End - #40

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard nodded in agreement at the rules of the spar. If Megastar was serious about it, then the shark-man wouldn't hold back. He grew a bit more confident and excited about the fight. Perhaps he had been underestimating the teen a bit too much. At the site of the event, Sharkguard was glad for all the environmental protection set in place. Bullets has sometimes bounced off him and into something, or worse, someone else. It happens only in rarity, but it is still something he watches out for. He placed his first aid kit out of the way; shouldn't be needed here. Seeing the squad group in awe, Sharkguard gives them a rallying message. "Yarr don't be so struck by my build! Do all ya can and I'll make sure it ain't wasted, aye!?" The time with the rocket launcher was fun, the time with the automatic rocket launchers even more so.

When Megastar's name was announced, Sharkguard looks up to see the teen was right, flying at speeds the shark-man could not hope to match. The sonic booms made didn't kill his ears, but they were loud. As Megastar landed, Sharkguard wondered, just WHERE did that alien superweapon come from? Afterward came Johnny Rocket's turn. Sharkguard was a little nervous about the speedster getting hit during the event, but Johnny came out without a sweat, impressing the shark-man.

Then came Sharkguard's own turn. He pounded his fist to his chest as if he was giving the firing squad the signal. He then kept his hands bravely posed at his side as he faced the first few volleys of bullets. Sharkguard kept a confident, teethy smile during the showcase, eventually leaning forward a bit and calling out, "Is THAT ta best yarr can do?" He really didn't look the slightest bit worried. "Yarr anti-material weapons can't even a dent on me landlubbers!" He doesn't use pirate 'words' much, but decided that once or twice couldn't hurt. During his speech he tries to see about catching one of the many bullets with his teeth. Sadly his reflexes are sloppy; most either bounced off his teeth or ended up harmlessly in his mouth. Even on the inside Sharkguard's body was impossibly durable.

At the last stretch of what he would jokingly call a pathetic excuse of an attempted assassination, Sharkguard rears up and proudly laughs to himself. Watching normally fatal weapons be completely harmless to him is always a riot, and a huge twist from those decades ago.

11. - Top - End - #41

The bullets that bounce off Sharkguard's invulnerable skin ricochet wildly off the plexiglass, some of them bouncing back into you, and doing nothing yet again. The display of invulnerability and your complete lack of worry earns a standing ovation from the crowd and even some rather amazed cheers from the soldiers. It's one thing to see superpowers on TV, quite another to see them in person. "Did-did he swallow some of 'em?" "Yep."

"Ladies and gentlemen, if you think you've seen all our heroes can do, you haven't seen anything yet!" Joseph's voice crackles over the PA again after the cheers have subsided. "Our thanks to the brave soldiers of McKarren Base for coming out today and participating in our event." The soldiers earn another round of applause as they take a bow and grab their seats for the rest of the day.

After a couple of minutes of break, where a couple of the doctors from the hospital look the trio of heroes over and the firing ranges are cleaned up and partly dismantled to give the crowd a better view of the other areas, the disembodied voice of the assistant coordinator booms out again. "Now, if you'll direct your attention to the center ring, so to speak, you'll see two of our heroes take on a challenge more fitting to their incredible talents- each other!"

The center ring, as Joseph calls it, is indeed in the center of the park, and resembles a boxing ring, though it's twice the size of any normal ring, to accommodate the outsize bodies that will be doing battle in it. One of the assistants gathers you and Megastar together. "All right, you two are the star attraction here. Now Mr. Silva told you the rules, right? No leaving the ring, no ranged abilities, and while we want to give the crowd a fun and hard-fought show here, don't go overboard, OK? Keep each other in one piece. We don't want to have to go track down a superhealer to re-attach body parts. You guys ready?"

12. - Top - End - #42

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard looks happily at the crowd giving him a standing ovation at his performance. He didn't expect the bullets to ricochet back at him, but it did make for a good show anyway. He had to admit, those bullets wouldn't he hard to digest; his powerful teeth made it able for him to crush them in his mouth with ease. He nods at the soldiers of McKarren Base as they take their bow and leave. He knew standing up to a creature bigger than eight foot tall is quite an accomplishment, more so being able to actually take it on if they had proper firepower. Sharkguard took the short break to stretch; readying himself for the little spar coming up.

Sharkguard was glad to see the boxing ring was bigger. Some superhero brawls can take down a whole block; he usually exerts just enough to keep buildings from falling. It's one of the reasons he is more comfortable at sea, much bigger area; no sort of threat that can stop him from going all out. Gathered with the assistant and Megastar, Sharkguard responds with, "Yarr got no need for alert. Retreat and range ain't in my dictionary." He turns to the teen. "Just no sort of buildin' crashin' now, ye hear? Ya can crash into me like a meteor from ocean's deep space, but I want no collateral damage." Sharkguard winks at Megastar, "Doesn' mean yarr can go all out though. I'd be disappointed if an alien superweapon can't hold up to the sea's invincible captain."

13. - Top - End - #43

"I'm not gonna leave the ring, man. Don't worry about collateral damage." Megastar flexes for the crowd, who cheer lustily as you both climb into the ring. You can tell he's enjoying this as much as you are. "Worry about me beating you into a flatfish!"

"Now, ladies and gentlemen, there's not a soul among you who hasn't heard of Sharkguard and Megastar. They're two of the mightiest heroes our fair city has ever seen. They've faced threats large and small, but how will they fare against a most formidable foe- another hero!?"

"Gentlemen, you've been told the rules, and all eyes are on you. Lllllleeeeeettttt's get ready to rumble!"

You can tell Joseph's wanted to do that all his life.

Spoiler
    Show
    Here we go! Roll Initiative, over in the OOC, please. If you win, go ahead and post Sharkguard's first combat round here.

After Init, rolls can go here or in the OOC as needed, doesn't matter to me. Please use GitP's roller or Invisible Castle, if you don't feel like dealing with the board roller's weirdness.
    Last edited by ripleycat; 2012-03-18 at 12:16 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard smiles at Megastar's upbeat and confident mood. The shark-man returns in kind, nodding while responding with, "Yarr ain't gonna be crushing my shark bones today kid!" He waits for Joseph's call signaling the fight. Sharkguard could almost roll his eyes in an obvious manner at the announcer's phrase. However it was an accurate one to use, this is definitely going to be a rumble.

With a quick dash-like leap, Sharkguard charges to the teen, teeth drawn but not in use here. He quickly goes for an uppercut aimed at Megastar's torso. No need for head concussions right off the bat, especially in a friendly brawl such as this.

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, so going to Charge (which should be doable) giving me +2 Attack and -1 Defense... Right? ^^;

Anyway, attack: (1d20+9)[25] Minus 2 from this if Charge doesn't apply. DC 32 Toughness save if it hits.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-03-19 at 11:01 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45

Even with his hands up, the quick leaping attack catches Megastar offguard. Your uppercut slams right into his chest, and you get a weird sensation, like you punched a hunk of steel and put your hand in water at the same time. The teen hero takes a couple steps back, and you see the liquid metal suit re-solidify, none the worse for wear.

"Gonna have to try harder than that. Meg's a tough girl."
    Megastar smiles, then throws a haymaker right at your jaw. "Try this on for size!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Your attack hits, but Megastar rolls a Natural 20. I count defensive nat 20's as critical successes (this goes for any you roll, as well), so Megastar takes no damage this round.

From the OOC: Megastar's Toughness check: (1d20+11)[31]

Attack: (1d20+10)[26] If that hits, it's a DC 25 Toughness check (before your half-immunity)

16. - Top - End - #46

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard makes little attempt to dodge. He was always poor when it came to avoiding attacks and would prefer to take the blow anyway to keep anyone else from needlessly taking the hit. In this case, the moment Megastar's fist collided with the giant shark-man, the teen could feel the force of his punch stop suddenly, not like hitting metal, but some sort of impossibly hard material instead. Not even a bruise was made on Sharkguard, who proudly responds with, "Hah! Same to ya, yarr youngling!"

The shark-man responds with Megastar by pushing the teen's arm away using one arm while giving a quick punch with the other, one more to momentarily disorient the teen so Sharkguard follows up with a powerful straight jab to Megastar's face, aiming just below the eyes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Considering Half-immunity to Toughness brings down the DC to 20, it makes the attack unable to beat Impervious.

Attack: (1d20+7)[18] DC 32 Toughness if hit.

17. - Top - End - #47

The teen hero slips backwards, avoiding your strike by the narrowest of margins, then brings his hands back into a guard. "Try harder? OK, I can do that!" Megastar ducks low, and twists suddenly, putting everything he has into a short, powerful uppercut aimed at your side. It's a blow straight out of Rocky, trying to crack ribs and knock the wind out of you.

Spoiler
    Show
    18 is a miss.

Megastar: All-Out (+5/-5) Power (+5/-5) Attack: (1d20+10)[19]

DC 30 toughness (pre-immunity) if it hits.

18. - Top - End - #48

SwashbucklerGuy

Just because Sharkguard watched Rocky quite a bit didn't mean he saw that punch coming. The hit was quite true to it's mark and Megastar could feel like it actually made some sort of blow. However as he comes to realize, the punch wasn't even enough to add up to a bruise. "I didn't think yarr to use something right outta that movie," he says in an impressed manner. "However I prefer 'aving my style stay my own youngling!" With that Sharkguard pulled a more offensive maneuver, reeling back for a short moment before throwing multiple punches at the teen, one or two he whiffed on purpose to not make it look like such a beatdown, however Sharkguard made sure his downward punch a precise hit.

Spoiler
    Show
    All-Out Attack +5/-5 (1d20+12)[13] DC 32 Toughness

19. - Top - End - #49

Sure he was going to do more than annoy you with his strike, the rain of blows catch Megastar flat-footed, and while he manages to dodge and block a few of them, Sharkguard's main punch strikes true, sending the silver-skinned teen reeling back into the ropes. Even through the protective shell of the alien weapon, you can tell he got his bell rung, as he gazes around unsteadily, guarding his torso where the punch had smashed through his guard.

The crowd, who have been chanting and cheering for both of you, gasp at this new development. You even hear a scream or two.

Spoiler
    Show
    Megastar managed to get the lowest possible result on his re-roll. He is Stunned and Staggered, and takes no action this round. Your turn again.

20. - Top - End - #50

SwashbucklerGuy

As he nails Megastar, Sharkguard watches the teen reel back in injury. This was really just a spar, not an actual fight; the shark-man had thought for a moment if he went a little too strong there. While this was a good chance in all other cases to get in another strike, he decided to instead give Megastar a chance to recover from his daze. "Ay! Is that ta best yarr can do Megastar?" He calls out to the teen, both as a taunt and as a notice to get back in the fight. "Back up on yarr feet youngling!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Roleplaying this free turn away

21. - Top - End - #51

"Y-you hit hard, man, but I'm not done yet." Comes the still confident, but shaky-voiced reply as Megastar gets his bearings back. Shaking his head, the young powerhouse rushes forward and throws a massive roundhouse punch at your jaw.

Spoiler
    Show
    All-out (+5/-5) Power (+5/-5) Attack: (1d20+10)[12] If that hits, it's a DC 22 Toughness save (after immunity).

22. - Top - End - #52

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard took the time of waiting to watch Megastar's strike and attempt an evasion. The blow barely misses the shark-man's head, a few inches at most. "Heh, got ta heart of a boxer in yarr," he says proudly to the teen. "But I got ta heart of a sailor!" Sharkguard quickly sways and moves to Megastar's side, using the momentum of the move to throw a left hook at the teen's stomach, avoiding any vitals or the area Sharkguard already dealt a nasty blow to.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well no All-Out Attack this time: (1d20+7)[24] DC 32 Toughness.

23. - Top - End - #53

Megastar grunts at the blow, but it doesn't seem to have affected him like the last one. "Well, sailor or not, I'm not letting you out of here without a mark to show for it. Come on!" He straightens up and uncorks a haymaker.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack hits. Megastar is Stunned and Bruised by the attack. Fiating away the stun, take a hero point.

Attack: All-Out (+5/-5) Power (+5/-5) Attack. (1d20+10)[29] If it hits, A DC 22 toughness check (post-immunity)

24. - Top - End - #54

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard watches the haymaker collide with his face as his right foot moves a step back from the blow. For a change, the blow left a noticeable bruise, however it didn't bother Sharkguard at all, or even inflict anything that actually weakened him at the slightest. "Aye. There's yarr mark, youngling," he says without a hint of embarrassment. "Now I'll leave one on yarr suit too!" Sharkguard wasted no time as he closed in and throw one immediate and swift punch at Megastar's stomach again. The speed and force of that one may be enough, though Sharkguard had to admit, it was a lot of fun fighting in a friendly spar.

Spoiler
    Show
    All-Out Attack again: (1d20+12)[23] DC 32 Toughness

Next fight I'm gonna use some grappling for fun

25. - Top - End - #55

Megastar doesn't even get to make a snappy comeback, as the blow to his stomach knocks the wind, and his senses, and probably some childhood memories right out of him. He doubles over for a second before crashing to the mat, out cold. Though the alien suit stays active, protecting his identity, you can tell there's nobody behind the controls, as it flows around his body, looking more like water than skin.

The crowd cheers loudly as the sparring session comes to its end, though there are a few groans and boos from those that had been backing Megastar.

"There you have it, ladies and gentlemen! A battle between two titans has ended with Sharkguard as the victor!" Joseph's voice comes back on over the PA. The assistant you spoke to before the match comes running over with a couple of doctors from the hospital in tow. They examine the teen hero, clearly a little out of their depth with the silver-skinned superweapon. Their assistance isn't much needed in the end, though, as Megastar comes to after about a minute and is helped to his feet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Megastar fails by more than 15 again, knocking him out. Sharkguard wins, and I get a nice benchmark for how much more powerful than a standard PL 10 hero you are. Combat time is over. We're back to a more freeform posting style for the next few.

26. - Top - End - #56

SwashbucklerGuy

Dealing the finishing blow to the spar, Sharkguard tries to relax as he takes down Megastar. The embarrassment the teen would likely have though was probably going to haunt the shark-man later on somehow. He goes to wave and flex at the crowd for just a short bit before Joseph brings his voice over the PA again. With that, Sharkguard goes to Megastar with the first-aid kit the shark-man carries with him for cases such as this. Seeing the teen get up within a minute had Sharkguard smile.

"Ah, younglings still got plenty of endurance on yarr," he comments as he opens the first aid kit next to Megastar. "Yarr needin any aid? Can't 'ave an injured guy keep with events now, and I got plenty of experience in this department too." If allowed, Sharkguard gives first aid to the teen to prepare him for the next events. He hasn't used his kit for awhile; mostly it's for his daughter when she gets a cut from falling over or something else. It's rarely used for himself, though he's glad to have it when it is available.

Spoiler
    Show
    Would like to take 10 on a Medicine check for a result of 20 if it can be in play here.

27. - Top - End - #57

Megastar is led out of the ring and into yet another of the large tents. This one turns out to be the medical tent. The only occupants are a couple of doctors, a guy who got heatstroke out in the bleachers, and a kid who looks to have gnashed his arm open on something. All look on in amazement as you come in.

Taken into a private "room" in the back, Megastar sits down and waves off the docs. "I'm OK, guys, really. Just need a little air, you know?" They don't leave, but dutifully give him some space, helping with the other patients for the moment. "That was crazy, Sharkguard. I knew you could hit hard, but feeling it is something else." Making very sure nobody else is close by, the silver skin peels away, leaving the wiry, freckled teenager looking around, still in a bit of a daze. He's got a wicked cut on the bridge of his nose and black eye to make a sailor gasp from where you nailed him, and some rather large, but not as deep, fist-shaped bruises on his torso. "Oh man, I've got a date this weekend. I need a cool story for this shiner. Any ideas?" The kid did have a knack for finding silver linings, you had to give him that.

Spoiler
    Show
    Medicine check auto-succeeds, removing the staggered condition. The bruises are minimized after several minutes with icepacks and the doctors' care. Megastar makes a full recovery.

28. - Top - End - #58

SwashbucklerGuy

Coming into the medical tent, Sharkguard noticed the two other injured people in there with their surprised expressions. The shark-man gives the old man some ice for his heatstroke and cleans and bandages the kid's gnashed arm. "Yarr both be alright now," he tells the two civilians before heading into the private room with Megastar. He watches the doctors give room before watching Megastar shift back into the teen he is known as. "A lot of people tell me about how hard I actually can hit," He responds to Megastar as he opens his first aid it, not using his accent in the meantime, "but you are right; my strength really is something else when they actually feel it."

Sharkguard first cleans the blood coming from the nasty cut Sharkguard dealt to the kid's nose bridge using deionized water, then quickly dries the water and bandages the wound to prevent further contamination. The shark-man hands Chris a pack of ice. "Place that over your eye. You got a lot of courage for your confidence back in that spar, and a lot of heart for being able to take all those punches." He enjoyed the younger generation and there energetic moods. Sharkguard just smirks quietly at the mentioning of the kid's date. "Well, remember the mall incident that happened yesterday night? You were there while I was busy taking down Baron Samedi's army of undead. If ya hadn't met her since then, you can explain how you were injured during it." He pauses a bit before making a small sigh. "I do regret not being there for the other injured however..." The shark-man gave a small, rare, but clear look of regret on his face.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-03-24 at 03:16 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

"But I was injured, remember? One of 'em smacked me with a lamppost while we were... Ohhh, I see what you're saying." Chris smiles under the icepack. "Yeah, that'll make it sound pretty cool. Thanks."

He seems genuinely taken aback by your show of regret, used to your boisterous public personality. "Hey, it's OK. The paramedics got there quick, and you'd already done a lot. You hold yourself to a weird standard, man."

After a few minutes with the ice, and a check to make sure the cut is no longer bleeding, Megastar re-activates the silver shell. "Thanks. I think I'm gonna be fine." He winces a bit as he stands up. "Well, sore, but fine."

30. - Top - End - #60

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard simply smiles at Chris as he comes to what Sharkguard was suggesting. "Just don't overdo things for the rest of the day. Your bluff won't hold water if you look like you've been eaten by a shark." He pauses for a moment, getting a look to see if there was any sudden reaction from the kid. "Not that I'd eat you, or any human for that matter. I mean c'mon, when is the last time I thought of eating something not fish?" Sharkguard had a large aquatic diet, but kept himself from feasting like a black hole. Despite his massive build, he didn't need to eat all that much.

On the subject of yesterday, Sharkguard drops the look of regret quickly at Chris's words. "Hah, well I really enjoy fighting for the thrills, but I always try to put saving and protecting the innocent first." He was glad that casualties at the mall incident was low, if not nil. "And besides! All ta press got to the mall. Not really the same savin' the city in secret as savin' it with everyone watching, aye?" One thing about Sharkguard is that there was never such a thing as "pressure" with him. It didn't matter if the whole world was watching him as the lone protector in a fight determining the fate of the galaxy; there was no apparent look of fear or stress with the shark-man.