New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Sharkguard: The Sea-Roaring Defender IC

Issue #2: The Good Intentions Paving Company

8:00 AM, Wednesday, March 1st, 2012.
    Southside, Freedom City.

It's cold grey, and overcast in Freedom City, a steady rain falling outside. It's the sort of gloomy day that is tailor-made for calling in sick and cozying up with a mug of hot chocolate and a stack of your favorite movies. Alyssa even has it off, courtesy of a well-timed "staff development day."

Unfortunately, fate has an evil sense of humor and other plans for you, which it puts into motion as you turn on the TV just after breakfast.

8:00 AM, Wednesday, March 1st, 2012.
    Lincoln, Freedom City.

"Police have the supermarket surrounded, but report a number of employees are still trapped inside with the creature." A frazzled-looking reporter stands in the emptied parking lot of a generic shopping center. Behind her, there is a mass of activity, a swarm of blue-shirted police dotted here and there with paramedics and firefighters and reporters fighting to get a good camera angle on the storefront.

"Several casualties have been reported. Information is still coming in, but as far as News 3's team is aware, so far none of the injuries have been life-threatening. Repeated requests for superheroic assistance have thus far gone unanswered, and-"

The report is interrupted by shattering glass and the chattering report of police firearms, followed by screams and a barked command to cease fire. The front line of the police force beats a hasty retreat as they are pelted with a salvo of cans and glass bottles from inside the supermarket. A cashier is held up as a human shield in front of a large, vaguely humanoid green-skinned creature inside. The police retreat further, not wishing to further endanger the unfortunate civilian. The tense scene unravels fairly quickly as soon as the beast inside opens its mouth.

"Yoo shtall pay for yur therrible cwimes against my people, puny hunmans!" The all too familiar voice shouts above the din. "Go, brothas! Be fwee once moore!" Several cans of corn are hurled at the cops, who stop laughing long enough to duck for cover.

It's going to be one of those days.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cold Open time! Sharkguard is due at Majestic Industries at 9:00 sharp this morning, so that's the cue for some two-bit supervillain to throw a wrench in the works. That's right, it's the Homicidal Hominy himself, Mr. Maize! Dundundun!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard is never exactly one to stay in the apartment on a rainy day. When not busy, which is frequent, he enjoys swimming in the rain. The sounds of it calms the shark-man and is usually a good time for him to relax. When Alyssa is home however, Sharkguard usually prefers to stay with her for the day. He finds it a good idea to spend as much time as he can with her. Rain comes more frequently anyway. Today of course he will need to meet with King today. Majestic Industries can't be too far away. With a little luck, Sharkguard should only be there for a few hours so he'd have more time with Alyssa after.

...Of course when luck is given, ninety percent of the time it seems to be bad luck. Turning on the television to see a supervillain gone loose isn't a good thing. When Sharkguard sees who the villain specifically is, he can't help but slam his head into the palm of his hand. "That's just beautiful," Sharkguard responds in deadpan sarcasm. Of course the sight of the police laughing at the obviously ridiculous-sounding creature is also beautiful in it's own way.

He knew he is very short on time now. An hour to get rid of the corn field villain and get to Majestic Industries. Someone like Johnny wouldn't have an issue but Sharkguard lacked the super-speed to get from point A to B in seconds. "Alright Alyssa I'll need to head off earlier than expected." He gives her a soft hug before getting his spandex pants and white-and-blue-striped bandana on. "Be watchin' me on the news missy!" Sharkguard hurries out the door and out to the streets. He would take every swimming opportunity he can to reach the supermarket at Lincoln. He always moved faster in the water whether it'd be the ocean, rivers, or... Sewers. Sharkguard usually avoids the sewers; smelling awful isn't something he is fond of.

Spoiler
    Show
    I can tell this is going to be fun

3. - Top - End - #183

"Aw man... OK, have fun dad!" Alyssa waves goodbye. She looks understandably put out at having you leave early, but the prospect of watching you beat the kernels out of the corniest of supervillains makes up for it.

As the crow flies, the situation with Mister Maize is not actually that far away. Lincoln is Southside's neighbor, a rougher part of town that hit the skids hard in the '80s and never quite recovered. It's also home to South River State Penitentiary, the aging and overcrowded home to thousands of prisoners, including a number of "low-risk" supercriminals. The world's only homicidal, sentient cornfield was a guest there (until this morning, it seems.). If this mess has a silver lining, it's that Lincoln's relative proximity makes your trip a lot less painful than it could have been. Both neighborhoods run along the South River, making the winding channel a convenient highway for part of your trip.

Alas, the supermarket center currently being terrorized (for certain values of "terror") by Mister Maize is further inland, in the grid of lettered and numbered streets at Lincoln's run-down core, which means leaving the South River for a smaller tributary, then an even smaller canal, then a wastewater runoff, luckily full, because of the storm, and then finally, yes, a sewer line. The rainwater flowing down from the streets makes things a lot better than they could have been, but it is not your finest hour, and though you emerge literally right across the street from the shopping center, it's taken over 15 minutes and you smell, well, like a sewer.

Smell aside, the cops and paramedics seem relieved to see you, and your appearance causes a flood of walkie-talkie traffic as the news spreads through the crowd. The media picks up on it as well, several news cameras swinging your way. Near where you climbed back onto the street, a heavily bandaged police officer is being strapped to a stretcher and loaded into an ambulance. It looks like she hadn't ducked quite fast enough, and took a can of corn to the skull. Behind the paramedics, most of the cops have retreated behind barricades or vehicles to protect themselves from the edible missiles being hurled from inside.

To his credit, Mister Maize has done a thorough and impressive job of trashing the grocery store. The place is an absolute wreck, with all the windows shattered and shopping carts piled up outside in his own makeshift barricade. Foodstuffs of every kind litter the parking lot, the ghastly grain apparently having brought the captive tomatoes and apples under the banner of the fledgeling corn revolution. At the moment, Mister Maize is in the middle of a raging monologue, having discovered the baking goods isle.

"Cornmeal? Corn stharch? Corn syrup!? Itsh not emouth to butcher my brothers an sisthers, you murderouth beasts grind their bodies thoo pasthe and powder! Yoo drink their blood! Monsthers! Yoo are all monsthers!" He pauses to hurl a floursack out the storefront. It hits a police cruiser, exploding a cloud of white dust. "Do not woorry, fwends! The fweshbags sthall pay for their cwimes againth wheat and oat as well! Join uth!" His human shield (an understandably panic-stricken cashier, a skinny kid who couldn't be older than Chris) is held in front of him for all of this, giving the absurd scene an element of genuine danger. Mister Maize doesn't appear to have noticed you yet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Though combat has not started yet (I want to let you get in a reaction post, at least) go ahead and roll Initiative, just to have it.

4. - Top - End - #184

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard is glad to see that the supermarket wasn't too far a distance away. While Sharkguard had been to Lincoln several times, he didn't take too much interest in it unless something is there that he can help with. He actually had wondered about visiting South River State Penitentiary if only to see the reactions of the number of criminals and villains there. The place is so packed full it's at risk of a major breakout; something Sharkguard will probably diffuse if it becomes the case. There isn't time to examine it now however; both a meeting and a corn field are of higher priority.

Unfortunately the path to the latter is much less than glamorous. Going through the canal is fine. Wastewater runoff isn't a problem either. The sewer line however is no fun to traverse. Fifteen minutes isn't too bad, however it could be a lot better. It's no fun to smell badly too. Sharkguard debated whether to pick up some soap while he's here. He would not be allowed in Majestic Industries like this and it doesn't set a good standard for other heroes either. As he arrived, he waves to the police and paramedics. "Ahoy! Sorry for ta lateness! I be hurryin' here fast as I could. Gonna get that smell off me soon as I got yarr corn field-man outta this place."

Sharkguard is surprised to notice the supermarket trashed. Usually Mister Maize can't do much more than break a window. Often the damage will more come from reckless, inexperienced heroes. Guess this is what happens when a villain gets free reign; especially ones as crazy as a living corn field. Sharkguard tries to hold off his chuckling as best as he can when he hears Maize's monologing. It's all fun and games until someone is terrified and at risk; the cashier being used as a shield is an excellent example.

The shark-man quickly needed to figure out what to do. He obviously couldn't attack Mister Maize when he has a human shield. It would probably be best to make the corn field willingly give up his 'protection.' Sharkguard decided that it's time to speak up now or forever be outspoken by the villain's monologue. "Ay! Maize!" He spoke loud and clear to get Maize's attention like a nightmare entering reality. "Yarr never get tired o' anythin' at all. How 'bout I take yarr to the sea; a cornfield could be good at marathon swimmin' aye?" It isn't quite something Sharkguard would usually say when there's someone inbetween him and the villain. In this case he'd like to avoid going to the terrifying option. An angry shark-man when he's looking at you is not a pretty image to remember.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative being rolled! (1d20-1)[9]

5. - Top - End - #185

You wouldn't think a freakishly mutated plant-thing would be able to have the blood drain from his face, but Mr. Maize gives it his best shot as soon as he sees you. The talk of tossing the cornfield-man into the sea doesn't help, either.

"Stharkguard! D-Don't conme any clother! I-I'm warning yoo!" He hoists up his unfortunate hostage in front of him and plucks a restaurant-sized can of olives from the pile of debris and food on the floor, hurling it at you with surprising speed. "Do not intherfthere! The hunmans must pay fow therw cwimes! Sthand athide!"

Spoiler
    Show
    And just to finish up where I left off last night, Maize's opening attack. We're now in combat time.

Attack: (1d20+8)[16] If it hits, DC 25 Toughness, which I believe fails to overcome your Impervious once the half-immunity takes effect.

6. - Top - End - #186

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard
    HP: 1
    Cond: Normal

The thrown can of olives would probably be enough to cause a concussion on a normal human. For Sharkguard, it instead harmlessly knocks into his chest and bursts open. Considering he went through a sewer line earlier, smelling like olives is a vast improvement. Though Maize didn't put up a fight yet, he still had a hostage. Sharkguard knew he would need to get the hostage safe before beginning a beatdown on the corn field. Looks like intimidation might be the safest choice here.

"Stand aside? Or what?" Sharkguard used a notably more serious tone now. "I got's to be sayin' that I don't like yarr tactic. Why be needin' a hostage? Yarr better than that, ya landlubbin' cornfield! Now I tell this once, I don't show restraint or mercy to those willin' to harm a being for yarr own safety. Yarr do any more harm to ta kid and I be showin' you a rage mightier than the greatest o' hydras in ta sea!" There has yet to be a point where Sharkguard has shown something resembling pure rage. If it triggers however, it's not going to be a pretty day for those on the receiving end. "So I be givin' yarr two choices. Let the boy go peacefully and take out yarr anger on me; I'd be even nice enough to allow a free hit or two in... Or yarr can keep your hostage and further try my impatient mind. Remember, harm my mate and ta seas bask in yarr corn body!" Sharkguard smashes his two fists together as he brandishes his teeth. "Aye, Maize?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the slow response, but managed to get my post in. Going for intimidate to try and get Maize to release the boy: (1d20+14)[23]

Sharkguard's sheet has been updated with the added 5 PP too. I'm also going with the idea that Sharkguard's HPs reset every issue, like in ECK.

7. - Top - End - #187

"Thith one ith part of the systhem, part of the tywanny over my people! He thells them to be desthroyed and devowered!" Mr. Maize seems less angry and more petulant after your threat, like a kid who got caught breaking the rules.

"Fine! Go, human! Yoo have stherved yor purpose!" The corn-man tosses the cashier aside. The teen scrabbles away as fast as his legs can take him, into the protection of the police line. Maize scuttles back inside the grocery store after dropping his human shield. "Happy now, Stharkguard? Come, wet's sthettle thish!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks for keeping your sheet up to date. And yes, HP reset every issue. You have two right now (see below). Sorry I didn't make that explicit.

Maize fails his Intimidation save by a boatload, and lets the hostage go. You get an HP for saving the kid and good RP. He failed enough that I'm going to rule he's shaken, and gets -2 on his checks next round as well.

Maize takes a move action, retreating into the store, and the total defense action as his standard action this round, giving him +4 to his defense score if attacked (for a net +2).

8. - Top - End - #188

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard
    HP: 2

While he wasn't interested in expressing a sigh of relief and removing his focus, Sharkguard was very glad to see that he got Maize to release the human hostage. The shark-man turns to the kid and nods before looking back to the corn-field man. "'bout as happy as I be Maize," he says to the ridiculous villain. His lighter tone showing he loosened up from a few moments prior. "But course I be glad to make yarr swab this floor till yarr understand where yarr went wrong here!" Sharkguard quickly follows Maize into the store. The cluttered place makes it a bit more difficult to land a hit, but the shark-man lunges and attempts a wild straight punch. The place was beat up, but not much sense in ruining what else is still standing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Going for an All-Out Attack +5/-5 (1d20+14)[26] DC 32 Toughness.

9. - Top - End - #189

*SPLUT*

Even ready for your attack, fighting on ground of his own choosing, the Homicidal Hominy can't get out of the way of your mighty fist, and cornstalks aren't built to take that kind of punishment. You punch a hole right through Maize's strange body, sending plant matter flying everywhere. If you hit a normal human like that, you'd be going to jail for murder. Mister Maize just seems angry, and a little resigned.

"Look waht yoo did! That thakes fowever to gwow back!" The absurd creature limps away, making a beeline for the display of corn in the produce section. "Bwothers! Aid me!" The stack of corn ears actually responds to his shouting for once, quickly melding with his body and patching the hole you made. "Hawawaw! Good as new!" Maize chortles as he turns to face you again.

Spoiler
    Show
    That's a hit, even with his improved defense. Maize is Staggered and Stunned. I'm fiating away the Stun this time, take an HP.

Maize uses a move action to get to the produce section, and his standard action to activate his Regeneration (Flaw: Requires corn), healing away the Staggered condition.

10. - Top - End - #190

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard
    HP: 3

A good, heavy punch shows what brutes like Sharkguard are really capable of strength-wise. On a normal human, he or she would have taken a similar showing of injury... Except just way more lethal than on a mutant corn field. In most of Sharkguard's fights with Mister Maize, the former usually ends up delivering an attack as such on the latter. Maize was just not built to stand up to the shark-man and Sharkguard knew this well. Maize would have been aware of this too if he wasn't so impossibly nuts.

What surprises Sharkguard however is the regeneration ability that the corn field has. This is a first to his eyes; usually the two fought in areas without a source of corn. Either way this changed things... A bit. All it did mean is that Sharkguard needed to keep the villain away from the produce section. He would try diplomacy but he'd rather save that for the more sensible villains. "Impressive. I'd be wantin' yarr to teach me ta trick sometime... But I be in a hurry, so I don't gots ta time to be havin' fun with yarr."

Sharkguard didn't forget that he is still in need to arrive to Majestic Industries; hopefully in a better state than he is now. Getting Maize out of the produce section was the first step. The best way the shark-man could think off the top of his head is the obvious; blow him away with enough force. Sharkguard once again goes for another punch. This time he would be focusing more on sending Mister Maize flying across the grocery store instead of sending his contents flying.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm... Not too sure how I'm going to do this, but I know there are knockback rules so I'd like to see about using those. All-Out Attack +5/-5 and Power Attack +5/-5 (1d20+7)[15] DC 37 Toughness. This is more to try and knock him away than bring him down instantly.

11. - Top - End - #191

The corn-man is better prepared this time, and ducks back out of range as you take your mighty swing. The ends of one of his hands form into thin and very sharp splinters, and he lashes back with these poor man's versions of claws. "I have learned many twicks, Stharkguard! Hew, have anodter!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Got a little time, thought I'd squeeze in a post for you.

Knockback can and will be taken into account. Unfortunately, a 15 is a flat miss.

Maize's counterattack: (1d20+7)[21] DC 27 Toughness (pre-immunity) if it hits.

12. - Top - End - #192

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard
    HP: 3

Claws or not, that thing Maize would call a "weapon" is still made of corn. Sharkguard only recovers quick enough to have his torso meet with the sharp splinters. The corn-field however didn't try lashing hard enough and his "claws" break on impact with Sharkguard's improbably-hard skin. "Is that what yarr be callin' 'throwin' food?'" The shark-man rears back to unleash a powerful punch. "Aim for ta head next time yarr strike at this 'ere captain. my teeth could use somethin' to eat!" Sharkguard follows his powerful right straight with a left straight. Hopefully he might have better aiming this time.

Spoiler
    Show
    All-Out Attack and Power Attack +5/-5; (1d20+7)[22] DC 37 Toughness. Gonna reroll if I make a lousy roll.

13. - Top - End - #193

This time, your punches are right on target. Maize gets lifted off his feet by two blows that splatter more bits of corn everywhere, sailing backward into a shelf, which collapses on him with a loud crash, sending yet more food scattering everywhere. The only response from the villain is a low groan.

Behind you, you hear footsteps crunching through the debris on the ground. A pair of SWAT cops peer cautiously around the corner. "You get him yet, Sharkguard?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Maize fails by more than 15, and is KO'ed. Congratulations!

14. - Top - End - #194

SwashbucklerGuy

The cornfield villain falls down to the good one-two punch as Sharkguard smiles at the quick battle. Mister Maize doesn't usually last long in a fight, especially when he has the guts to go melee with the shark-man. Sharkguard could hear the SWAT cops as he went over to pick up Maize. "Aye, I be gots ta landlubber." He walks over to the cops with the unconscious Maize over his shoulder. Sharkguard grabbed a bar of soap in the meantime, hoping to use it if he can. "Sorry to say, but ta water I be travelin' to arrive was less than clean. Gots a meetin' I need to get to soon. Any chance yarr brave ol' captain can use this?"

15. - Top - End - #195

One of the SWAT officers glances around the totally wrecked store and smirks. "You know, somehow I don't think they're going to miss one bar of soap. Hey, why don't you go ask one of the firetrucks to hose you down? Bet that would do the trick. And thanks again for dealing with the corn boy. Nutty thing. Maybe after this they'll put him in a proper supers prison, and not that overfilled rat-trap by the river."

The clock out in front of a bank across the street notifies you that you have about half an hour left to get yourself cleaned up and across town to Majestic Industries, having made short work of Mr. Maize.

16. - Top - End - #196

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard produces his well-known smile when the SWAT officer responded to him. "Thank yarr for ta help." The shark-man moves out to a nearby firetruck. Half hour was not a lot of time to clean up himself and get to Majestic Industries. He isn't sure what will be worse, being late or being stinky. Either way King won't listen to an excuse, so Sharkguard would need to clean up and get there in time. When he finds a firetruck and a fireman at watch, Sharkguard waves and says, "Ahoy! I must apologize for ta short notice, but I be needin' of a wash. I gots a meetin' in half an hour and I can't be goin' as this. Are yarr available to run that hose on?" If the fireman agrees, Sharkguard hopes that one bar of soap will be enough.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-07-03 at 07:03 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197

The fire crew have a brief huddle, during which you can hear some laughter. When they break, one of them approaches you and nods. "It's a bit unusual, but sure. You won't even need that soap. This sucker'll take your scales right off if you're not careful. Have ya smelling like daisies and sunshine in no time."

A couple of the other firefighters have unspooled the hose from the truck and are attaching it to a hydrant on the street corner. "OK, brace yourself, sir! That jet of water will kick like a mule." The blast of water does indeed feel like someone swung a hammer into your chest. It would have knocked a normal person off their feet, and it drenches you immediately. With minimal help from the soap, the firefighters get you clean in just a couple of minutes. Of course, it's still time taken off the rapidly dwindling countdown to your meeting, and you're absolutely sopping wet, but hey, at least you don't smell like a sewer anymore.

Spoiler
    Show
    You've got enough Immovable not to worry about knockback from the firehose.

18. - Top - End - #198

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard isn't too worried about the force of water the firetruck could throw at him. He's been in the worst of storms and waves out on the sea so a manmade blast of water won't be an issue for him. The force is definitely great though; hardly enough to stagger Sharkguard but would have blown away anyone less sturdy. The shark-man didn't spend much time cleaning. A couple minutes at best and made sure to get a bit of water in his mouth too. Even if it's just water, it's a better mouthwash than air.

From there, Sharkguard thanks the firemen for the assistance. "If yarr thinks that these jets can be blowin' my scales off, yarr trucks be in need of tunin,'" he jests in a friendly manner. "When I gots more time I'll be showin' yarr how good a firetruck I can be!" With that, Sharkguard hurries off to Majestic Industries. He'd take the fastest possible way there that doesn't involve sewer lines, anywhere nasty-smelling, or any method that would break laws or buildings. If he ends up late... Then he does but he really hopes to be there on time.

19. - Top - End - #199

It's a mad rush across town, through every channel and canal wide enough to accommodate you, not to mention all the running to get through the land-locked areas, but in a superhuman (literally) effort, you manage to slide through the door of the towering skyscraper that holds Majestic Industries' headquarters at 9:00 on the dot.

For such a large company, things seem remarkably quiet. The only other person there is a courier dropping off a small stack of packages. The receptionist looks up and smiles mildly, as if giant sharkmen came and went through the lobby every day. "Sharkguard, I imagine? Sign in, please, and have a seat. Someone will be out to fetch you shortly." As a mark of the unusual clientele Majestic sometimes receives, there are undersized, normal, and oversized pens near the receptionist's window, and wide array of seats along the walls, including some that fit you comfortably. A burbling fountain and a TV on the wall provide white noise. Currently the TV is tuned to a news station, covering the aftermath and cleanup of your brief battle with Mister Maize.

After a couple of minutes, a white-coated man with tired blue eyes and salt-and-pepper hair pokes his head out of an elevator and glances around. "Ah... Sharkguard? If you'd follow me, Dr. Simhalan and Mr. King are ready. Do watch your head, please."

20. - Top - End - #200

SwashbucklerGuy

Getting to Majestic Industries was one of those incredible moment of tension for Sharkguard. He was exceedingly worried about not getting there on time but the effort he put him payed off in the end. Sharkguard relaxes the moment he gets into the building, trying not to look anxious or tense. Such an emotion would rarely fit him. He regains his relaxed and confident posture as he greets the receptionist. He nods his head sincerely as he says, "Thank you kindly," and then sits at one of the chairs that fit him well. No need for his accent here. He should keep the civil pleasantries for these kinds of occasions.

The look of the place gives Sharkguard the feeling that people of many kinds have been here before or even works here. Whether that is supposed to be comforting or not, Sharkguard has no idea. He tries to not let his mind wander too much. He put himself in this situation quite awhile ago; no point in wondering about the consequences and disasters that may come of this. All he can do is go along with it and hope for the best.

Sharkguard admires the burbling fountain from his seat until the white-coated man comes out. The shark-man quickly gets out of the seat but walks in a slow pace to the elevator. "I certainly will," he says kindly as he ducks his head while entering the elevator. Hopefully it could do well with holding someone as dense as himself... Even if that's the least worrying thing on Sharkguard's mind right now.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-07-09 at 12:51 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201

The elevator groans a bit, but the notice on the wall says it was built to hold 10 people, and it's able to handle 1 person and you. The white-coated man, who looks more like a kindly old family doctor than a researcher at a multinational corporation, presses a floor button then waits patiently during the ride, filling in some sort of form on a clipboard while you travel.

After a few moments, he remarks off-hand, "You know, you're by far the best-known superhero to have joined the Hero Helper program." He continues. "Ah, 'Hero Helper' is the official name for this suite of tests and sample-taking. A bit cheesy, perhaps, but PR came up with it, not us."

Soon after, the door opens onto the 50th floor. Maybe three-quarters of the way up the Majestic Industries headquarters, it's still easily taller than most buildings in the area, providing a soaring view of the city from the windows. As you wind through the hallways, the windows quickly give way, first to offices and cubicles, and then to increasingly complex and high-tech looking equipment, true state-of-the-art labs.

Your escort steers you past a throng of researchers. Sandwiched between what looks to be a DNA lab, from the images you catch on the computer screens, and a closed room with a warning light above the door and several radiation notices on the door, is a small, rather unremarkable conference area, where two figures sit waiting for you.

"Dr., Mr. King. Your guest of honor has arrived. I'll leave you to it, then." The white-coated man heads back down the hall, leaving you with Majestic's CEO and a woman you're guessing must be the head of the program.

King has on a crimson cardigan, khakis, and an ascot. He looks more ready for a day out on his yacht than a day at the office. The woman is a tall but rather frail-looking figure in her early 30's, of clear Indian descent, with dark hair and eyes. She's wearing a labcoat and a pair of teal hospital scrubs.

If anything, she seems rather stiff and severe compared to the relaxed and casual CEO. This impression lasts exactly 5 seconds, as she glances up, sees you, and lets out a fangirl shriek that could shatter glass. With reflexes that would make Johnny Rocket stand up and applaud, she's out of her seat and circling you with wide, glee-filled eyes. "Ohmygod! This is... it's really... Heheeeheheheee!" She puts her hand over her mouth and breaks down giggling, like a kid who just got a puppy for Christmas.

Hieronymus King, for his part, seems mildly amused by the whole thing. "Ah, good to see you could make it, Sharkguard. Don't mind the good doctor. As I mentioned in our conversation in the park, she's quite the admirer of superheroes. Please, please, have a seat. We can get the i's dotted and t's crossed."

22. - Top - End - #202

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard does his best to relax as the elevator goes up. Though the sign says that it can hold 10 people, he is never quite sure if it's an accurate measurement or not. Instead he turns his attention to the white-coated man. "Well I can't say 'Hero Helper' is a unique name," he says in agreement with the human. "But the name does not make the program. If it's happened once then I'm glad to know I'm not the first." This program is something he only heard of recently and it was apparently pitched a few weeks back. How many heroes have applied since then and now...?

Sharkguard doesn't really have the time to think on it as he and the man arrived at the desired floor. The shark-man gazes the view of Freedom City from the 50th floor. While it definitely is a brilliant sight, he makes sure to not get too close to the windows. Despite his seemingly confident outlook, Sharkguard is not that big a fan of heights. He certainly has been in numerous situations that had him falling incredible distances (usually with him crashing into the ground) and he isn't terrified of the skies; however it is something he can never get used to.

Eventually they reach the conference room. It's lack of remarkableness and King's... Interesting choice of attire makes Sharkguard more concerned that he fell in some sort of trap. Still, the shark-man keeps the smile as if he is looking forward to this. He knows the CEO and woman will be. Sharkguard's eyes open wide for a moment as he sees the woman dash up to him in a jolt. She definitely is obsessed, King was right about that.

Sharkguard decides to ditch the formality and go with his accent; if the scientist does adore heroes she will not be bothered a bit. "Quite different seein' me in person than on a television screen, aye?" He winks jovially to the female. "Glad to see yarr be lookin' forward to this as much as I am." Once the female scientist gives him the chance, Sharkguard takes a seat as King instructed. He looks to the CEO with a more focused, if relaxed, look. "So apparently I be not ta first hero who's signin' up for this program. Has ta winds been kind for it's sails?"

23. - Top - End - #203

After a few moments, the doctor calms herself somewhat and offers you her hand, though she's still awfully bouncy and giggly for a high-ranking professional. "It is! And you have no idea! Um, very sorry about that. Dr. Simhalan, head of the Hero Helper program at your service, but please, call me Saravati if you like." She finally releases your hand and allows you to take a seat, retaking hers as well.

"Well, we've been doing this off and on for a couple of years. Initially, it was with unstable superhumans. The young alien hybrid from Claremont, I believe she calls herself Changeling these days, was our first subject. The samples and tests were mostly for the heroes' own good at that point, but as our research progressed, we uncovered aspects to many of their abilities that could be distilled into things useful for the general public. That realization was really the birth of whole Hero Helper idea, but it was only a few months ago that it became an 'official' program, with it's own budget and director and all of that."

"As for our... 'sails', a bit of a mix so far, to be honest." Dr. Simhalan picks up where King stops. "So far we've developed an anti-cholesterol drug that hit the market a couple months ago, and a sort of spray-on bandage from the skin of a fire controlling mutant, but... there are a lot of projects stalled or still working through trials. Got high hopes for some of them, though! Big things on the horizon! And your abilities may be part of that!" She adds brightly.

"So, we have just a few forms for you to sign before we can get started. You're welcome to read them over. Just standard boilerplate, really. Permission for us to run the tests in the first place, permission to use the samples they may gather, that sort of thing." King slides a small stack of papers across the table to you. "Once all the prep and paperwork is finally out of the way, we can have Dr. Simhalan and her team take a look at you. Who knows, if all goes well, we might have you done and out the door in time for lunch!"
    Lovely Gorgon avatar by smuchmuch!

Excellent Ex-avatar Collection
    Spoiler
    Show

Air Ace and Gremlin by the superb kpenguin.

24. - Top - End - #204

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard does his best to relax and listen as King and Saravati explain about the Hero Helper program. It definitely sounds like they have gone through testing before and that they aren't making it up. At the very best this will put some sort of amazing medication on the market. Of course there will be something the CEO will get out of this too; just what, Sharkguard had little clue. It's not the least suspicious thing he has heard, but the shark-man has some promise that this might work out... Of course, seeing the CEO's attire again does not boost confidence. He sticks with the friendly tone, not feeling the need to get discourteous. "Sounds like a plan then. I be not hesitatin' when we begin."

Of course first came the paperwork. All these form-signing and signature points are just never Sharkguard's specialty. He had no doubt however that there would be some sort of loophole or much-disliked order that hid amongst the mostly-normal words. He didn't want to take up too much time either however. Sharkguard took an examination of the papers just to find something he might not like; he wouldn't try to take up too much time though, none of them wanted to be in this conference room all day.

Spoiler
    Show
    I rolled 26 on my search check for the papers. Hopefully it's a good result.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-07-16 at 12:53 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205

Your lookover of the forms reveals that King is being honest, more or less. There is a lot of boilerplate, the sort of small-print gibberish created by legal departments to be read by other legal departments, and also a lot of common sense questions and permissions translated into Bureaucrat-speak.

There are two pages that bring pause, though. The first is a form that (once you've suffered through the red-tape language) essentially revokes your right to sue Majestic Industries for "any circumstances or actions during testing, or for the use of material collected during testing."

The second questionable form is, by itself, not terribly damning. It's simply permission for Majestic to share whatever findings they get from the Hero Helper program with "all subsidiary companies, corporations and holdings." For such a big, multinational firm, this kind of thing is almost a necessity. A new drug might easily have half a dozen companies involved in its creation, production, and marketing.

No, what makes you uncomfortable, to say the least, is the list of companies that would be able to use the data and samples. Sure, there's the ones you'd expect to be involved, like Olympic Productions, a big marketing and advertising firm, and Gatti Pharmaceuticals, the team responsible for the actual production of most of Majestic's drugs (and also the creators of some of the most annoying commercials on TV, which is why you recognize the name).

But there's also ArmorSource, Majestic's military contract wing, infamous for their designs "mysteriously" showing up in the hands of villainous organizations like SHADOW. SPARTA, Inc, a mercenary company who provide security (and other, less savory services) to many multinational companies, including Majestic. Human Dynamics, a cutting edge genetics consortium, creators of many incredible advances- and just as many wild rumors and controversies, including stories of human clones.

Last but not least, there's Ceradyne, an infamously corrupt health care company that's been shut down and reformed at least 4 times, including one incident when their headquarters had to be stormed by a large team of superheroes, including you, after their CEO went mad, drank a formula that gave him superstrength, and began attacking his employees.

Spoiler
    Show
    Your Search roll gets you three degrees of success. Results above.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard reads over the papers while trying his best not to look bored. He pities the person who had to write all this nonsense. Just looking them over is bad enough, making them must have been a nightmare. Reading it however turns out to be worth it as Sharkguard notices the few splinters on a ship's deck that these papers have. The inability to sue Majestic Industries is hardly an issue. Sharkguard didn't care too much about such things in case suing ever seemed like an option.

Now the list of companies are a different matter. It's good to see that ones such as Olympic Productions and Gatti Pharmaceuticals are here, annoying commercials aside. Others, not so much. Among them, ArmorSource was pretty much obvious. The shark-man half-expected it anyway and can roll with whatever they do. SPARTA, Inc is not a comforting name but Sharkguard is rather confident that they are the least problematic name on the list. Human Dynamics is a rather big hit-or-miss one here. Sharkguard has never quite dealt with them, having heard only rumors and conspiracies; he hopes they will not be an issue either.

...And then there is Ceradyne. That is a name Sharkguard never wanted to see or hear again. The time he dealt with that company was definitely one of his most unpleasant times. Between the carnage that was caused there and the company's "products," the shark-man had a few nightmares about it back then. That was one of those times he is very glad to have experience in proper medicine.

All-in-all, the papers' conditions aren't as bad as they could be. He isn't going to like the more... Shady companies getting a hold on his data but the only one that really worries Sharkguard is Ceradyne which is not known for it's subtlety... At least back then. Sharkguard also doesn't like the idea of refusing and leaving after coming all this way and it does seem like this testing can be good for world at large.

Finished his searching, Sharkguard signs the papers without delay. It's gonna be worth the risk, he thinks as he takes care not to damage the papers or pen while signing. The shark-man will probably need to keep tabs on Ceradyne when he is able to; maybe he'd report to Beaumont when able. Sharkguard will not be forgetting the risks and consequences that will come from this and he is sure that King will not be forgetting either.

"Right. Sorry for ta wait." He passes the signed papers to the CEO. Sharkguard felt surprisingly better now that he's made his decision. "I be ready as soon as you both are."
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-07-18 at 02:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207

"Excellent! I think you'll be glad you made this decision. I know we are." King smiles widely as you pass the papers back. "I'll take care of these, doctor. I still know my way around the bureaucracy here." He turns his attention back to you. "Well, now that the painful but necessary part is out of the way, onto the more exciting business." King rises from his seat.

"I'll be the first to admit that my expertise lies in business, not science. I can't even spell most of what Dr. Simhalan needs to do to you, but this isn't her first rodeo, and I assure you that all the tests are quite safe." He claps his hands together. "I do wish my job was always like this, but alas, my other duties call. Sharkguard, I want to thank you again for agreeing to be a part of the program. It means a great deal to Majestic Industries and I hope, in time, to many patients."

"I shall leave you in the very capable hands of our good doctor. Should something arise today, or if you simply wish to contact me in the future, please don't hesitate."
    He produces a white business card with nothing but his name and a phone number printed on the front. Obviously this isn't the card that gets handed out to every person who comes calling.

With that, King takes his leave. Once the CEO is out of earshot, Dr. Simhalan snorts derisively. "Other duties my left foot. He's out for an afternoon on the Ocean Queen. Uh, it's his boat." She adds by way of explanation. "No matter, though. Right this way, and we'll get started!" She leads you to the back of the DNA lab room, where amidst all of the cutting-edge tech is a small area that looks more like a standard doctor's office or hospital.

"All right, we're going to get some measurements, take your vitals, just for a baseline." As she records these things and takes notes about how you differ from a normal human, Dr. Simhalan tries to engage you in small talk. It's clear she's still fangirling a bit about getting to meet you in person, because she's talking a mile a minute and bouncing from subject to subject like Alyssa does when she had too much sugar. "So how are you doing today, Sharkguard? I saw you on TV this morning! That was great! What's it like, being a hero? Everybody who's comes here answers that differently, it's strange. You have any family? You don't have to answer that of course! I know a lot of heroes don't like talking about things like that! Sorry!"

Medical care can require a lot of physical contact, as you well know from your own training and experience, but even for a doctor, you can't help but notice Saravati is very... touchy and awfully close for a physical examination. Also that she's blushing.

After that awkward situation is complete, she makes several notes on a clipboard, then gloves up and unwraps a syringe. "We're going to need a sizable blood sample, I'm afraid. There's quite a bit of analysis and testing that requires it." She attempts to stick it into a vein on your arm, only to have the needle break against your diamond-hard skin.

"Ah. Hmm." She reaches into the drawer again and pulls out a larger needle. She jabs at you again. Same result.

Saravati steps back and frowns, kicking at the floor in embarrassment. "Ah, Sharkguard? H-have you been to the doctor lately? Is there some trick to getting something through your skin? We have instruments that can collect blood samples from you, certainly, but uh, they can be... invasive."

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard keeps the friendly look right up till the CEO makes his leave. Once Saravati starts to speak, the shark-man gives a small sigh of relief that it's now in the researcher's hands. So King happens to have a yacht; it is probably a thing a beauty that only he gets to use. Either way, it isn't concerning Sharkguard and he can focus on the situation at hand. "Comin'." He follows Saravati as he puts the business card away with him for now. The shark-man doesn't expect to call the CEO anytime soon... But one never knows.

Sharkguard takes a look at the various technology in the DNA lab as he follows the researcher to the back room. He is surprised at how small it is compared to everything else. He guesses that the Saravati prefers working in quiet places. As the recordings begin for Sharkguard's measurements and vitals, he answers the researcher's fastball questions. "Well I can definitely be tellin' yarr what it's like to be a hero. Exhilarating for one, enjoyable for another, and worth doing like sailing to a pirate's treasure hold!" He chuckles as he finishes his sentence. "Course bein' a hero is lots more than just fightin' villains. It's why yarr gots ta Hero Helper program, aye?" He is a little bothered by all the physical contact but does his best to pay no mind to it.

Right then he notices that the needle on the syringe broke on his skin. The shark-man looks a little embarrassed himself as he is reminded that his meetings with doctors ended similarly. "Well... Uhm... I haven't quite been to the doctor in forever. I rarely be needin' to make a visit for myself." He puts down his medical kit to the counter next to him. "I be havin' this kit with me, but it's lacks any sort o' syringe to gather a sample with." Despite the warning about invasive instruments, Sharkguard doesn't seem too bothered. "Well looks like I be needin' to take a look at these 'instruments' of yarrs. I ain't too worried so long as it doesn't leave a large stain on the floor." He winks to Saravati in a calm manner.

29. - Top - End - #209

The doc giggles as you explain your feelings on being a hero. "Your accent is just the best thing ever. And you seem genuinely excited about it. Like some of the Claremont kids do. It just seems right. More heroes should be like you."

Dr. Simhalan tries to reassert her professional bearing after the setback with the needles. "Right then. Well, we can get a DNA sample from your saliva just as easily, though that doesn't solve the problem of how to get a blood sample. It's a start at least."

She unwraps a swab on a stick and reaches up toward your mouth. "Say 'Ahhh', please." Saravati, though, is unprepared for the rows of razor-sharp (and huge) teeth that await inside a shark's mouth.

All pretense of being professional disappears in a puff of smoke as she whimpers and pulls her hand back like, well, like she was afraid of having it bitten off. "Co-could y-you do that part, maybe?" She offers you the swab.

"Um, uh, well, as for our instruments that might be able to do the trick, a couple of them were being used this morning... hey, Tony! There you are! Great timing! Bring the cart over here." She motions at a tech who just wheeled a medical cart into the front of the DNA lab.

The cart has a bunch of rather intense-looking stuff on it that you're pretty sure you've confiscated from supervillains at one time or another. Saravati picks up two of the gadgets. The first looks like a circular saw mated with a blowtorch. The other is a truly massive needle with a rather worrying reservoir of oily red fluid. There's an unsettling hint of the mad scientist in the way Dr. Simhalan examines the tools, which vanishes quickly as she smiles again.

"These are diamond-edged and diamond-tipped, respectively. While there's no way of knowing until we try of course, they offer the best change of getting a blood sample from you without having to force something down your throat, which I think will be even more unpleasant for all involved."

Spoiler
    Show
    Your current choices:
    Door #1:

Door #2:

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210

SwashbucklerGuy

Sharkguard begins to feel more confident as he chats with Saravati. Though King may not be the most benevolent of CEOs, his workers do seem quite kind. Saravati seems to enjoy her work and is genuinely excited about Sharkguard's interest to help out with the Hero Helper program; though the researcher has an... interesting look when she was examining him as well as the two instruments that look... Much more dangerous than usual.

In the meantime, Sharkguard gets his saliva DNA from the swab. He had no issues taking it considering his sharp teeth... And that gives Sharkguard an idea. After getting his saliva DNA he tries biting his lip with his teeth. Turns out that his skin is hard enough to the point where not even he can injure himself; at least without seriously dumb ideas. So naturally, the shark-man would have to handle one of those instruments. "Tch, turns out I be too hardy for my collection o' teeth. Well a sailor never gets anywhere without riskin' the seas!"

He takes a closer look at the instruments, which he would rather call "weapons." Neither of them looks pretty at all. It comes down to deciding whether Sharkguard wants a scar from the diamond saw or a hole from the diamond needle. Of the two, Sharkguard would prefer the saw. Since they are just going for a blood sample, a cut should not hurt as much as a needle that could pierce who-knows how far into his body.

"Alright, let's go with ta... Uh... Saw-blowtorch thingy. What be ta technical term for ta tool?" His accent almost slipped a bit as he tried to figure out how to describe the instrument. Sharkguard is not one of the more technologically adept people by any stretch of the imagination. "Just aim for ta spot right here," he says as he points to his right arm, just below the shoulder. "It'd be only ta sample we need right? Guess it'd be goin' without sayin' but be careful Ms. Saravati." Sharkguard gives another wink as he does his best to hide his worry that the researcher might get a little overboard with that saw.
    Last edited by Starsign; 2012-07-23 at 09:43 PM.