New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Welknair Update/Game Idea] Fourth Land

Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    I'll be an emotionless four-legged sapient ox! Who... bends... emotions.

Because you have not heard Shakespeare until you've heard him in the voice of the Elcor!

I am so going to regret this... I have just made it such that Fourthland Characters can be anything that satisfy the following criteria:

Means of transportation, not including true flight.
    No special abilities beyond standard stuff (Attack, think, talk, move, manipulate the fundamental energies that comprise the world, etc.)
    Have some means of weilding one or two items (Telepathy works)
    Roughly the size of a Human.
    Some section that can vary in color (For Humans, it's usually the eyes)

Muses can dictate that all players play a single defined race, or may open it up such that the players can describe themselves..

OH WHAT HAVE I DONE

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post

I am so going to regret this... I have just made it such that Fourthland Characters can be anything that satisfy the following criteria:

No special abilities beyond standard stuff (Attack, think, talk, move, manipulate the fundamental energies that comprise the world, etc.)

Muses can dictate that all players play a single defined race, or may open it up such that the players can describe themselves..

OH WHAT HAVE I DONE
    I tremble to think what will be done with these rules in the hands of the non-serious gamer.

True flight =? You have to define it a bit, methinks...
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

3. - Top - End - #393
    Bugbear in the Playground

OH WHAT HAVE I DONE
    I am currently wearing the grin that only those who know that an epic flood of 'original' ideas shall be pouring in, and that it will be glorious hilarious a disaster.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Barbarian in the Playground

This... Is..... Amazing!
    This idea has so much potential, it's not funny.

End of Campaign
    And so, the evil, emotion-draining bovine was defeated by the Yellow-Tinged Jellyfish Legions after being swarmed with what looked like ordinary pies... But were really pies of +15 swordness. The Ringworld was safe again, thanks to their brave men.
    "What are men?"
    Okay, you. But he'll be back next time, because he's not dead... The fourth is with him.
    Last edited by Drowlord; 2012-06-05 at 04:21 PM.
    Characters in Lords of Creation games:
    Aquaeris, Flowing Sheen.
    Xacha, the Metal Serpent.
    Viltasa, the Evening Star.
    Yash-Ko, the Flame of the Void.
    Argul Lugra, Lord of the Eyes.
    Vriset, the Glassblower.
    Valendron, Ascending Wind.

Drow Lord avatar by Dread Angel.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ettin in the Playground

May the Fourth be with you.

*hnnnggngngngngn*

Too... Punful... can't... go on! Obi-One-Kenobi, your use of Structure is our only hope!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

I tremble to think what will be done with these rules in the hands of the non-serious gamer.

True flight =? You have to define it a bit, methinks...
    Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    I am currently wearing the grin that only those who know that an epic flood of 'original' ideas shall be pouring in, and that it will be glorious hilarious a disaster.
    Yeaaaah, I'm going to be very careful to say that Muses should approve or disapprove any suggestion players give. They are by no means obligated to allow that player to play zombie-Lincoln-with-tentacles. It's up to the Muse to determine what they want the team to look like.

True flight is like a D&D fly speed, as opposed to a hyperintelligent jellyfish's ability to hover along.

Quote Originally Posted by Drowlord View Post
    This... Is..... Amazing!
    This idea has so much potential, it's not funny.

End of Campaign
    And so, the evil, emotion-draining bovine was defeated by the Yellow-Tinged Jellyfish Legions after being swarmed with what looked like ordinary pies... But were really pies of +15 swordness. The Ringworld was safe again, thanks to their brave men.
    "What are men?"
    Okay, you. But he'll be back next time, because he's not dead... The fourth is with him.
    Welcome, newcomer! It seems like you'll fit right in!

"The fourth is with him"

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

7. - Top - End - #397

Welcome, newcomer! It seems like you'll fit right in!

"The fourth is with him"

Gotta love a game that is amazingly different from virtually any other RPGS; a crazy good, misleading, alien to everything you know, anything-is-possible sort of game whose basic principle comes with a really lame pun.

Also, seconding 0 being matter, but something you can't manipulate. Also, a concept for a not-class: takes one Energy and subtracts it for another thing. For example:
    The Hyperjellyfish goes up to another living being (4 energy). He subtracts it from its knowledge (5). The creature turns into pure mass (1).
    Thoughts? Too powerful?
    Aquaeris, Flowing Sheen.
    Vriset, the Glassblower.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Gotta love a game that is amazingly different from virtually any other RPGS; a crazy good, misleading, alien to everything you know, anything-is-possible sort of game whose basic principle comes with a really lame pun.
    This sums things up pretty well.

That reminds me, I'd like to add some quotes from this thread to the OP. This would include things like this, or what I said earlier trying to summarize the thread. If you post your favorite quotes, I'll add them to the OP.

Also, seconding 0 being matter, but something you can't manipulate. Also, a concept for a not-class: takes one Energy and subtracts it for another thing. For example:
    The Hyperjellyfish goes up to another living being (4 energy). He subtracts it from its knowledge (5). The creature turns into pure mass (1).
    Thoughts? Too powerful?
    0 as matter: I'm currently having 0 as Space. Matter is matter, not an Energy. They're separate... things. So far pretty much everything is either: Matter, Energy, Alive, Alchemy, -ness. Alive, -ness and Alchemy tend to have Matter attached as well.

Subtraction of Energies: Hmm.. Well, first off my not-classes all follow a pretty set pattern involving being tied to one of the Energies and having a set list of abilities that scale with *mumblemumble*. Having one that does this wouldn't exactly fit. HOWEVER, it is something that would fall under the purview of Alchemies and Masteries. Hmm.. Something exactly like that would indeed be waaaay too powerful and abusable. However, it may be possible to affect energies in a similar peculiar manner. Just not that overt.

IN OTHER NEWS: I've re-written my core damage and combat mechanics in light of those previously-mentioned internal-mechanics changes. Actively working on re-writing my social combat.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

Social Combat? Can haz!?!?

I am intrigued!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Social Combat? Can haz!?!?

I am intrigued!
    I got the term itself from Exalted, which has been the first and only game I've encountered where the social system was as fleshed out as the physical combat was.

Another essay I intended to write was on a couple tricks for identifying and classifying various Tabletop games. One of these is a look at how long certain sections of the book are. As a general rule of thumb, you can tell what you'll be spending most of your time in a game doing by how many pages are allocated to that thing. There are of course exceptions.

Look at D&D 3.5, PHB. Combat. COMBATCOMBATCOMBAT. The vast majority is combat rules, character stats FOR combat, tools for use in combat, and so forth. Many skills, some adventuring gear, and a couple other areas are notable deviations from this trend. But still, it's not hard to tell that you're going to be fighting things a lot.

Then look at Exalted. There's a large quantity spent on the default setting, showing that it will be very important. Then social combat has as much facetime as physical combat, and mass-combat makes an appearance.

4e. ... I'll leave it up to readers to determine for themselves what the page allocation is like.

Anywho! Now that I have that out of my system (Ha.. ha..), I can talk about my game a bit. Yes, I'm planning on including a fleshed-out social mechanic. I'm not aiming for my entire game to be hack-and-slash and making automated hack-and-slashers which also turn things into jellyfish that fire whimsy-lasers.

I think I've mentioned earlier that there will be three "Tiers" of not-classes. An entire tier will be devoted to social abilities.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground

Reading about your first playtest makes sense to me (behind with current conversation, I know) because due to its often foreign concepts, its hard to...wrap your brain around. This only fuels the desire to play and understand it in my mind, however my mind is not like many (thankfully). However, it can defineately be observed that this might not be everyone's type of game...most likely why you've labeled anyone who has praised this game as insane.

I can see one disadvantage to this type of game is the quality of a Muse. Muses that both understand the mechanics effectively and provide all the details for each campaign (since much of what is in the universe is dependent on the Muse). Some lesser creative people that still would like to run a game would benifit from a list of examples of some sort...though that might stunt creativity as well...I'm sure you know what you're doing. Just observing.

I see you've created a section for creating character types, which can be dependent on the Muse and/or the Player. A swarm of objects making up a whole, where two of the objects are some sort of weapon-ness of some sort, while others function as other uses come to mind. Sort of like the rock monster from Metroid Prime (though this creature surely did not originate with this game). You might also put in that they must be able to communicate in some fashion (though this can be anything, such as speak, sounds, telepathy, or even making images out of the form of your body, as my rock swarm might).

This game as a whole reminds me of Phillip Jose Farmer's "World of Tiers" Series in some small capacity. Have you ever read these? If not, I recommend them.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

12. - Top - End - #402

This could be the first game to actually let me play a dragonpuppy! SO. MUCH. HAPPY. (flight wouldn't be a problem, the wings are mostly decorative anyway. Also, playing with gravity would help that...)
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

13. - Top - End - #403

Yes, finally, something not just hack and slash!
    Also, somebody really needs to start a Fourthland Puns collection. I see many of them... Very many...

R2-D2? Why are you moving so fast? Oh, two is motion. Never mind...

Apart from that, gentlemen, I do see that is crazily a usable, and I just meant something generally like that
    Or something.
    Last edited by Drowlord; 2012-06-06 at 01:10 PM.
    Aquaeris, Flowing Sheen.
    Vriset, the Glassblower.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oh man, I want to hide this in something, and make sure no one can get to it."

"Oh, just hide it in this Lock-ness Monster!"

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Reading about your first playtest makes sense to me (behind with current conversation, I know) because due to its often foreign concepts, its hard to...wrap your brain around. This only fuels the desire to play and understand it in my mind, however my mind is not like many (thankfully). However, it can defineately be observed that this might not be everyone's type of game...most likely why you've labeled anyone who has praised this game as insane.
    Yeah, this is the game for the people the weird people consider weird. But frankly, in my experience, weird roughly correlates to awesome.

I can see one disadvantage to this type of game is the quality of a Muse. Muses that both understand the mechanics effectively and provide all the details for each campaign (since much of what is in the universe is dependent on the Muse). Some lesser creative people that still would like to run a game would benifit from a list of examples of some sort...though that might stunt creativity as well...I'm sure you know what you're doing. Just observing.
    This is very true, and something I've been continually trying to cope with. True Fourthlanders are a rare bunch, and I need to find ways to make the game a little more accessible to people that aren't as completely insane as we are. This is part of why I included the entire "Progressive Disclosure" system, and why four-dimensional-space is going to be an optional rule. I also intend to include a sizable Muse-guide, trying to give hints on how to handle such a profoundly alien game. Examples and suggestions ought to abound.

I see you've created a section for creating character types, which can be dependent on the Muse and/or the Player. A swarm of objects making up a whole, where two of the objects are some sort of weapon-ness of some sort, while others function as other uses come to mind. Sort of like the rock monster from Metroid Prime (though this creature surely did not originate with this game). You might also put in that they must be able to communicate in some fashion (though this can be anything, such as speak, sounds, telepathy, or even making images out of the form of your body, as my rock swarm might).
    Very interesting! I need to tweak some things, but I want to make this sort of creativity fully supported and greatly encouraged.

This game as a whole reminds me of Phillip Jose Farmer's "World of Tiers" Series in some small capacity. Have you ever read these? If not, I recommend them.
    I have not! I'm looking them up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    This could be the first game to actually let me play a dragonpuppy! SO. MUCH. HAPPY. (flight wouldn't be a problem, the wings are mostly decorative anyway. Also, playing with gravity would help that...)

Yes, finally, something not just hack and slash!
    I like a bit of Roleplay in my Roleplaying-Games.

Apart from that, gentlemen, I do see that is crazily a usable, and I just meant something generally like that
    Or something.
    Fret not, there will be weird ways of altering the world aplenty.

"Oh man, I want to hide this in something, and make sure no one can get to it."

"Oh, just hide it in this Lock-ness Monster!"
    I think I just bruised my forehead.

Edit: Anyone contributing OP-worthy quotes from prior in this thread will receive a PM containing a hint about my not-classes.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2012-06-06 at 02:29 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #406

*gasps*
    Vote for my quote, for the fourth will be with you too!
    Aquaeris, Flowing Sheen.
    Vriset, the Glassblower.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

*gasps*
    Vote for my quote, for the fourth will be with you too!
    When I say "Contribute", I mean "Find and post a link to". The contributor need not be the original poster.

Edit:

I'd like to make a more formal advertisement for that previously mentioned MC server:

Silver Age Serious Roleplay is currently in search of new, active members that have some decent RP skill. Additionally, people skilled with building could potentially land build-team jobs, and people that are generally intelligent and can think logically (I hope everyone on this thread could be described like that) may be able to get moderator positions at some point.

The URL for our website it silverage.enjin.com, and you can find a link to the Minecraft forum post at the top bar. If you're interested in joining, read the first post of the forum thread and fill out an application.

A few things of note:
    There are some big changes coming soon, most likely this weekend. If you join now, there's a chance you're character will soon perish in an... apocalypse . Still, I'd highly advocate joining sooner rather than later. You'll get a feel for the server and have a higher chance of landing a position if you want one.

Oh, and I'm one of the two whitelisters. I have total power to accept/reject applicants. So yeah, there IS that.

I'd rather this not get off topic, focusing too heavily on said server, I just wanted to spike out the opportunity to any interested. If you have any questions, please PM me or make a post on the forums I linked to.

Now! Back to Fourthland-insanity!

I thought of a new type of being.. It's a little frightening, but should help round things out.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2012-06-06 at 04:42 PM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #408

Hey, Welknair? How do you feel about FourthLand clothes?

You know, after the manual is copy-right registered.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Hey, Welknair? How do you feel about FourthLand clothes?

You know, after the manual is copy-right registered.
    You mean paraphernalia? Isn't it a bit early for that?

Nevertheless, I very much like the idea. It'd be a great way to spread the word.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

I did the quote-searching myself. The OP has been updated once more, this time also including some photoshop art from copyright-friend.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

In a shameless attempt to get on the OP, here is my blurb for Fourthland, similar to what would be seen on the back.

You know, most games claim to challenge what you think is true, but they don't. See, when you look at fourth land, you can't assume anything. Gravity? Please, that got thrown out in minutes. Time? Linear chronology is for wimps. Liquids? Seriously, I said no assumptions! Life? Nope, not even that.

So what's the game about, then? It's a game about anything. Literally, anything: you can make a pie of swordness to slash the inside of your enemies' mouths. You can parkour your way to the sun, blast people with the raw energy of time, structure, or gravity. It's a land of ultimates, extremes, and originality. Because nothing will ever be the same.

Fourthland, the game of Abstractions.

---

Also, seconding that shameless advert for the Silver Age Server. It needs good, solid, role-players like only the Playground can find. Seriously, go join the server. We need thee.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

smile Re: [Welknair Update/Game Idea] Fourth Land

I have finally finished back slogging and am now up to speed!. (and now that I have a compiled list of OP Welk goes in and does it. Ah well. My fourth is meaningless!)

So, while perusing and hint hunting, I came up with a list of questions. I by no means hope to have them all answered, as I know there are some that you'd rather keep secret - "Spoilers, Darling" - but I figure I'd rather ask and be nullified rather than not ask them at all. Who knows, maybe they'll be useful.

-Carrying capacity - in what way do creatures retain items? There aren't clothes, so there aren't pockets. Are there objects with "Storageness" or some such? Could a creature be an item? Or a grouping of items? I could just see someone being a sentient backpack.

-On a similar note, can a creature be imbued with a -ness? -Ness's are similar to creatures - a makeup of several energies. What is the difference then between an item and a creature besides the fourth? I guess a few other energies as well like fifth, sixth and so on, but here me out completely. If creatures cannot be imbued with -ness's, then (per a recent post) they cannot be liquid or gas, since those are -ness's. If they CAN, well that's a whole 'nother realm of possibilities.

-To go further on this limb, if creatures could be imbued, why would one need items? On could imbue parts of the body to each function. I also noticed that creatures don't need to breathe or drink water, and they don't have dangly bits for sparkly screens, so I don't think they need food either. They shouldn't. And this gives me a thought: Maybe creatures quite literally live on life. I remember somewhere you mentioning the fourth acted similarly to "XP", so maybe that's the catch - a creature must be actively seeking out the fourth in order to thrive.

-This makes me wonder a little bit more about energies themselves. Where do they come from? Are they a non-renewable resource? Or does something produce them? Over time do they decay?

-Additionally, it seems energies work similar to items. I vaguely picture each having a texture or viscosity. A malleable substance kind of like clay. That's probably not what it's like at all, but that's how I imagined it (and maybe if I was a muse that would be possible).

-Either way, drawing from an earlier point, since creatures are made up of a bunch of different energies, and energies apparently can be obtained from areas that they are, and I don't know how they can be stored (i see it unlikely a glove of bagness could hold all energies) and things don't work the way we're used to - What if when a creature obtains an energy it absorbs it to store it. There are many implications to this, such as if one absorbed enough of an energy it would take on more an more of it's quality, but I want to focus on what the creature could do with that energy. They wouldn't need to carry around an item, they could just make the -ness out of the energies and imbue it on their "hands" or where ever function would dictate. Or instead, one could remove the energy for similar functions, like the gravity clamps to steal suns, or chrono-nades. Just don't take too much out of your energies! Things could get interesting...

-Can someone affect the energy of another creature? Or one they are using- such as using an anti-version of an energy on the energy they are manipulating to cancel it out?

I tried to be short winded, and again I failed. I have more, but I'll save it for the next slump in thread talk. Gotta keep those views up! Additionally, I've written up a sheet on what has been discovered about Fourthland so far, so if you want me to send that to you to see if I got it all correctly, let me know.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

23. - Top - End - #413

first of, in regards to the Silver Age Server, I'm quite interested, but between school stuff and the other projects I'm working on, I don't really have time to get back into minecraft.

Also, in regards to the 4th point in the OP, Fourth Land isn't weird. It is eccentric. Weird is the guy walking about the school with a hockey mask on, Eccentric is the kids building a radio station in their spare time.

24. - Top - End - #414

Quote Originally Posted by jojolagger View Post
    first of, in regards to the Silver Age Server, I'm quite interested, but between school stuff and the other projects I'm working on, I don't really have time to get back into minecraft.

Also, in regards to the 4th point in the OP, Fourth Land isn't weird. It is eccentric. Weird is the guy walking about the school with a hockey mask on, Eccentric is the kids building a radio station in their spare time.
    Yes, but Fourthland seems to be turning into the guy building a hockey mask out of radio parts, and then using it as a mobile facial protection/telecommunications device. It's just that odd.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

25. - Top - End - #415

That is some serious art in the first post... Messy, but definitely fitting the abstract theme.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-06-07 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Grammar

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

That is some serious art in the first post... Messy, but definitely fitting the abstract theme.
    Me gusta. Its cool.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

In a shameless attempt to get on the OP, here is my blurb for Fourthland, similar to what would be seen on the back.

You know, most games claim to challenge what you think is true, but they don't. See, when you look at fourth land, you can't assume anything. Gravity? Please, that got thrown out in minutes. Time? Linear chronology is for wimps. Liquids? Seriously, I said no assumptions! Life? Nope, not even that.

So what's the game about, then? It's a game about anything. Literally, anything: you can make a pie of swordness to slash the inside of your enemies' mouths. You can parkour your way to the sun, blast people with the raw energy of time, structure, or gravity. It's a land of ultimates, extremes, and originality. Because nothing will ever be the same.

Fourthland, the game of Abstractions.
    Beautiful. Goin in the OP.

I have finally finished back slogging and am now up to speed!. (and now that I have a compiled list of OP Welk goes in and does it. Ah well. My fourth is meaningless!)

So, while perusing and hint hunting, I came up with a list of questions. I by no means hope to have them all answered, as I know there are some that you'd rather keep secret - "Spoilers, Darling" - but I figure I'd rather ask and be nullified rather than not ask them at all. Who knows, maybe they'll be useful.

-Carrying capacity - in what way do creatures retain items? There aren't clothes, so there aren't pockets. Are there objects with "Storageness" or some such? Could a creature be an item? Or a grouping of items? I could just see someone being a sentient backpack.

-On a similar note, can a creature be imbued with a -ness? -Ness's are similar to creatures - a makeup of several energies. What is the difference then between an item and a creature besides the fourth? I guess a few other energies as well like fifth, sixth and so on, but here me out completely. If creatures cannot be imbued with -ness's, then (per a recent post) they cannot be liquid or gas, since those are -ness's. If they CAN, well that's a whole 'nother realm of possibilities.

-To go further on this limb, if creatures could be imbued, why would one need items? On could imbue parts of the body to each function. I also noticed that creatures don't need to breathe or drink water, and they don't have dangly bits for sparkly screens, so I don't think they need food either. They shouldn't. And this gives me a thought: Maybe creatures quite literally live on life. I remember somewhere you mentioning the fourth acted similarly to "XP", so maybe that's the catch - a creature must be actively seeking out the fourth in order to thrive.

-This makes me wonder a little bit more about energies themselves. Where do they come from? Are they a non-renewable resource? Or does something produce them? Over time do they decay?

-Additionally, it seems energies work similar to items. I vaguely picture each having a texture or viscosity. A malleable substance kind of like clay. That's probably not what it's like at all, but that's how I imagined it (and maybe if I was a muse that would be possible).

-Either way, drawing from an earlier point, since creatures are made up of a bunch of different energies, and energies apparently can be obtained from areas that they are, and I don't know how they can be stored (i see it unlikely a glove of bagness could hold all energies) and things don't work the way we're used to - What if when a creature obtains an energy it absorbs it to store it. There are many implications to this, such as if one absorbed enough of an energy it would take on more an more of it's quality, but I want to focus on what the creature could do with that energy. They wouldn't need to carry around an item, they could just make the -ness out of the energies and imbue it on their "hands" or where ever function would dictate. Or instead, one could remove the energy for similar functions, like the gravity clamps to steal suns, or chrono-nades. Just don't take too much out of your energies! Things could get interesting...

-Can someone affect the energy of another creature? Or one they are using- such as using an anti-version of an energy on the energy they are manipulating to cancel it out?

I tried to be short winded, and again I failed. I have more, but I'll save it for the next slump in thread talk. Gotta keep those views up! Additionally, I've written up a sheet on what has been discovered about Fourthland so far, so if you want me to send that to you to see if I got it all correctly, let me know.
    Items and carrying: Think a bit about the direction this game has been going in. I don't have atoms. I don't have air. Why would I have something so mundane as "Equipped items"? As you have aptly pointed out, the concept of -ness's allows for numerous possible solutions to this issue.

Energies: Origin will likely be up to individual Muses. The way things currently work, there is a "Conservation of Energy" of sorts. Though I've defined Energies as intangible forces, I do have a vaguely visual conception of them. In one of my short stories I reference an ancient scholar who was surrounded by a yellow vortex of 3rd. And then there's also *Mumblemumble*..

Storing Energies: You've got quite a lot of Sharpness going on there. Quite. A. Lot.

Affecting Energies: This will be a major component of the game. And with a group like the one we have gathered here, you can be quite certain that they'll spend a lot of their time toying with the physics. This is what 7th is for.

Data sheet: Feel free, though do be aware that I have a million and one things going on right now. It may take a bit of time for me to get back to you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jojolagger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    Yes, but Fourthland seems to be turning into the guy building a hockey mask out of radio parts, and then using it as a mobile facial protection/telecommunications device. It's just that odd.
    ...And then using the tele-mask as a thrown weapon to jam the signals being sent to the giant robotic squid rampaging through the middle of the funny hat factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfstone View Post
    Me gusta. Its cool.
    Glad you guys like it! It's decent given that he made it in a couple hours going off of some images from online. He's a decent artist, but mostly takes pre-existing images and transforms them into what he wants, which also happens to be far enough that any original copyrights no longer have effect. It's cool, but I'd rather the art in the book itself be entirely original.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

YES! Shameless attempts at writing good marketing literature have been super effective!

Also, this game is going to be so complicated.

Facepalm.
    Last edited by SamBurke; 2012-06-09 at 12:32 PM.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

29. - Top - End - #419

Well, it was kind of a good snippet.

30. - Top - End - #420

"Complicated" things is insufficient to describe this game.

Awesome.
    My Extended Homebrewer's Signature

Gunslinger avatar and banner by Flumphy.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam