New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Welknair Update/Game Idea] Fourth Land

Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    EPIC!

We also can generally look at the question and answer as precedent for Welk's answers.

What now?
    How about - What are the First Eight Energies in the Fourthland Concept?
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2012-06-18 at 06:34 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

2. - Top - End - #482
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    How about - What are the First Eight Energies in the Fourthland Concept?
    I second the vote for What are the first eight energies in the fourthland concept.

Extended Homebrew Signature

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Everyone asleep in their beds in the middle of an attack on the city.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

Starting next thursday, I ought to have a couple fewer things on my plate, and hopefully I can really buckle down on the writing. Watching Man of La Mancha is a good way to stimulate the imagination.

And to those that care, the giant apocalypse event on the RP server I frequent went exceedingly well, though we're having technical difficulties reopening in the new world. I was promoted to Admin, and TheWombatofDoom and SamBurke are both being promoted, though I'm not 100% of their new position names.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2012-06-18 at 10:19 AM.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Starting next thursday, I ought to have a copule fewer things on my plate, and hopefully I can really buckle down on the writing. Watching Man of La Mancha is a good way to stimulate the imagination.

And to those that care, the giant apocalypse event on the RP server I frequent went exceedingly well, though we're having technical difficulties reopening in the new world. I was promoted to Admin, and TheWombatofDoom and SamBurke are both being promoted, though I'm not 100% of their new position names.
    Horray for less distractions! Man of La Mancha...never heard of it. Deets?

I never expected to be so freely accepted and instantly valued. I'm still rather shocked at how I've become swept up in the tides of Silver Age! :) I believe I'm becoming permanent Build staff or even Moderator status and sam is being promoted to Moderator as well. I've been enjoying the plotting that has been going on surrounding my character. That poor, poor man.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

Horray for less distractions! Man of La Mancha...never heard of it. Deets?

I never expected to be so freely accepted and instantly valued. I'm still rather shocked at how I've become swept up in the tides of Silver Age! :) I believe I'm becoming permanent Build staff or even Moderator status and sam is being promoted to Moderator as well. I've been enjoying the plotting that has been going on surrounding my character. That poor, poor man.
    Not watching Man of La Mancha ought to be considered as heinous an offense as not watching Princess Bride! In all seriousness, Man of La Mancha is the movie adaptation of the famous spanish play "Don Quixote de la Mancha", written by the famous playwright Don Miguel de Cervantes. I hear there have been two such adaptations, but I've only ever seen the first. The story of Don Quixote is the spanish equivalent of Romeo and Juliet, in terms of prestige. The story is obviously quiiiite a bit different.

The story follows a man by the name Alonso Quejana, a lesser nobleman in later life. He reads book upon book and becomes disillusioned with the world, hearing far too much of the treachery of man. He gives up on being sane, and decides to be crazy instead. He declares himself Knight Errant and "Sallies Forth" to fight evil, with his still-sane-neighbor as his squire. It is a story of reality versus nonreality, cynicism versus idealism. One of my favorites.

Something I think we sometimes forget here on the OotS forums is that we are a minority. There aren't many of us, though we hang out with our own kind. When we actually get involved elsewhere, it shouldn't be surprising our talents are recognized. And on the Silverage server, we can use every capable set of hands we can get. The two of you have been an enormous help, and I look forward to playing with you in the near future!

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah! Don Quixote de la Mancha I'm actually familar with, to some degree. I've read a few of the stories (though not all, as it was at a library I was reading at). I enjoyed what I read! I've never seen any of the films or such. I'll have to see if I can find them...

I do often forget we are a minority, as I have had several attempts to assimilate some for D & D, to no great success. Though, I have had one small victory! One of my good female friends LOVES D & D now and wants to play all the time. I may be able to get a campaign going regularly again with her, her boyfriend (who also plays and is a close friend), and...well I don't know. (I like having 4 or 5 in a party.)

I look forward to it as well. I'm currently writing backstory. And more back story.

Anywho! FourthLand! Is it strange that when I see things like "Fourth Street" and "First National Bank" I inevitably think of fourthland's elements, and the strange puns that ensue that no one else understands?

I don't know if you've broken me, or caused me to assend to a higher level of Pun speak.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2012-06-18 at 11:53 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Anywho! FourthLand! Is it strange that when I see things like "Fourth Street" and "First National Bank" I inevitably think of fourthland's elements, and the strange puns that ensue that no one else understands?

I don't know if you've broken me, or caused me to assend to a higher level of Pun speak.
    "Punsel tongue", if you will!

I think we all have that problem to some degree.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #488
    Dwarf in the Playground

Curse you gmail, for not notifying me of fourthland updates sooner!

Anyway, now that I'm all caught up, I have a few things to say:

Silver Age- Am I too late to join? I don't know any of the schedules, but I don't have very much of a life, and would love to hop aboard.

Stealing ideas/minecraft- You see where this is going. Now, I would never just up and take your mind-product, but something I've been thinking of is; fourthland, minecraft based rpg. Essentially a ton of mods in a pack such as you would find on the technic launcher. I can't code java yet, but I'm learning, and eventually I'd love to see this happen, and I belive some others would too.

Minority- I am a simulationist, and very analytical. I like to take ideas, and change them to my mindset, my ultimite design. So it's no surprise that the first thing I did when I was hooked on d&d was to plot all of its errors and try to make a perfect system that would simulate anything and everything realistically. Then, I could add back in all the supernatural, and balance it perfectly with the mundane, and blah blah blah. Then I realised that no one cares, either they are content with D&D or they move to GURPS, and no one (except for me) questions GURPS. All that to say, being a minority sucks for inspiration.
    And now, still fascinated in realistic RPGs and physics, both known and theoretical, I am rooting for this system, that completely breaks all of the rules my life has been about... I must say, congratulations, and thank you. I'm even more of a minority because of this project, but I feel like less of one.

And now that my lack-of-sleep induced rant is over, back to the questions. I third the question of what the names of the first 8 energies are, and question how you can add/remove/create/destroy -ness's.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xechon View Post
    And now that my lack-of-sleep induced rant is over, back to the questions. I third the question of what the names of the first 8 energies are, and question how you can add/remove/create/destroy -ness's.
    Make sure you're bolding your questions!

(also- Here! Here! on your rant. also also- Silver Age will take you anytime you want to apply. :) )

World Building Projects:
    Magic

10. - Top - End - #490
    Dwarf in the Playground

The question still needs re-wording so the genie doesn't twist it around and destroy the world. A generous genie, however, seeing the answer to the previous question and the fact that he is giving 4 wishes instead of the usual 3. Although that's probably just because of the intended repeating numbers going around in his posts.

Edit: I'll try and apply for silver age tonight. My minecraft name is 80sing if it is needed.
    Last edited by Xechon; 2012-06-18 at 01:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ettin in the Playground

Don Quixote isn't a play; it's a novel.

A damn good novel, that would make Cervantes cringe nowadays, since a lot of people see it as supporting chivalry, when it was supposed to do the exact opposite.

I seriously need to finish the book; I borrowed it from the library, and lost reading time to stupid school (damnit school, let us read the classics!)
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Curse you gmail, for not notifying me of fourthland updates sooner!

Anyway, now that I'm all caught up, I have a few things to say:

Silver Age- Am I too late to join? I don't know any of the schedules, but I don't have very much of a life, and would love to hop aboard.

Stealing ideas/minecraft- You see where this is going. Now, I would never just up and take your mind-product, but something I've been thinking of is; fourthland, minecraft based rpg. Essentially a ton of mods in a pack such as you would find on the technic launcher. I can't code java yet, but I'm learning, and eventually I'd love to see this happen, and I belive some others would too.

Minority- I am a simulationist, and very analytical. I like to take ideas, and change them to my mindset, my ultimite design. So it's no surprise that the first thing I did when I was hooked on d&d was to plot all of its errors and try to make a perfect system that would simulate anything and everything realistically. Then, I could add back in all the supernatural, and balance it perfectly with the mundane, and blah blah blah. Then I realised that no one cares, either they are content with D&D or they move to GURPS, and no one (except for me) questions GURPS. All that to say, being a minority sucks for inspiration.
    And now, still fascinated in realistic RPGs and physics, both known and theoretical, I am rooting for this system, that completely breaks all of the rules my life has been about... I must say, congratulations, and thank you. I'm even more of a minority because of this project, but I feel like less of one.

The question still needs re-wording so the genie doesn't twist it around and destroy the world. A generous genie, however, seeing the answer to the previous question and the fact that he is giving 4 wishes instead of the usual 3. Although that's probably just because of the intended repeating numbers going around in his posts.

Edit: I'll try and apply for silver age tonight. My minecraft name is 80sing if it is needed.
    Silverage: I think we're technically "Halegron's Handbook" now. Appropriate link to where to apply here. I see no reason why we'd stop accepting applications in the near future. It is worth also reiterating my position as one of the two Whitelisters. Apply, and I'll make sure you get accepted quite quickly. In case I haven't posted it elsewhere, I play Elric Seeker, one of the few survivors from Agazatra. Soon after the start of the new map (WHICH HAS NOT YET OCCURRED), Elric will gain ownership of the human province of Northcrest, the center of learning in the new land of Araethon. So yeah. Feel free to look me up IC, or apply for a Scribe job there.

Stealing Ideas: For copyright reasons, I would kindly request you abstain from the release of any such mods/plugins prior to me copyrighting something
    with my name and "Fourthland" on it. I think a minecraft-fourthland crossover is an amazing idea, and I'm very interested to see what you come up with. Do note this matter could be simplified a bit by having a tweaked name (Fifthworld?). We'd still know what it is, but no one would have to worry about copyright infringement.

Minority: I forget if I've posted it elsewhere in this thread, but I tend to be a simulationist myself, believe it or not. Previous game attempts by me have included impeccable mechanics for handling both combat, character growth, and even moral decisions. Everyone that looked over it agreed it was an excellent model. The only problem was how long it took to get through the mechanics. I eventually determined that I was trying to make a game here, not a simulation. So I abandoned our world, in favor of one where I was untethered by the burdensome constraints of real-world physics. And thus Fourthland was born! It's been a learning experience, and I'm intrigued for much the same reason you are. An entirely new world to explore. ENTIRELY NEW. That's worth something.

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post

A damn good novel, that would make Cervantes cringe nowadays, since a lot of people see it as supporting chivalry, when it was supposed to do the exact opposite.

I seriously need to finish the book; I borrowed it from the library, and lost reading time to stupid school (damnit school, let us read the classics!)
    Shows what I know! I've only ever seen the first movie adaptation, in which the story is phrased as a play. And my spanish class a few years ago was awesome enough to show us the movie.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #493
    Dwarf in the Playground

Silverage
    Okay, I've submitted my form. Will I be notified somehow of acceptance or do I just get on after a day or so? I've never done this before, but am quite exited to finally be social with the rest of the internet.

Stealing Ideas
    Don't worry, I was saying that I wanted to collaborate with you to create this, if I ever get around to actually learning Java (So...much...code; Minecraft, it beckons). Copyright shouldn't be an issue, you'll get your name stamped on there plenty. I'm not even sure I will be able to do this, but it is something I'd definitely love to see happen, and I have ideas a-brewin'.

Minority
    No, I didn't know that, but now that I do, I'm not very surprised. It's a hard life trying to get games to follow all of our pesky laws of existence. I imagine a lot of simulationists would love to kick physics as many times as possible, just as you are. You are a good man, Welknair. I congratulate you again.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Ogre in the Playground

And here I was being all confused. I read it once. In 7th grade. Made my head hurt after I finished it. Never had the nerve to do so again.

However the Princess Bride the book, now that was a great book. I've only read an abridged copy, but apparently the original had 70+ pages devoted to detailing the wardrobe of the princess... What some people do for the sake of humor.....

Since it appears Im not going to make the playtest(leaving for a month+ within a few days), I'll drop my slot for someone else. Unless of course, you haven't started by the time I get back.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Dwarf in the Playground

And I jump in for it! Please?

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I've submitted my form. Will I be notified somehow of acceptance or do I just get on after a day or so? I've never done this before, but am quite exited to finally be social with the rest of the internet.
    I'd recommend keeping an eye on that thread. With the number of submissions coming in, we whitelisters are handling them almost constantly. The other whitelister, zePato, has rejected your first application. Note that you can just keep reapplying. Main tips: We don't have Half-elves, at least not yet. We try to stay away from "They killed my parents!" backstories - they're a bit cliche. Give it another swing, and you ought to be accepted.

Don't worry, I was saying that I wanted to collaborate with you to create this, if I ever get around to actually learning Java (So...much...code; Minecraft, it beckons). Copyright shouldn't be an issue, you'll get your name stamped on there plenty. I'm not even sure I will be able to do this, but it is something I'd definitely love to see happen, and I have ideas a-brewin'.
    Ah, alright. Then yes, I'd be game for such a collaboration later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfstone View Post
    Since it appears Im not going to make the playtest(leaving for a month+ within a few days), I'll drop my slot for someone else. Unless of course, you haven't started by the time I get back.
    Ah, that's a shame! I hope your trip goes well.

And I jump in for it! Please?
    Welcome aboard!

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #497
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, I was hoping for a human character with little elf traits, as it didn't specify which special traits humans can choose from. And that backstory is that of my best defined character, with a few modifications to fit this server's apparent feel. I'll try out some of my others, then. Also, they didn't kill his parents, ones still alive and the other dire of natural causes. He wants to give his life for the same cause as his brother, who had the "you killed my father mentality". I had a corrupted government version earlier, but decided I don't want to die and get stolen from and grifed in the wilderness, so I used that one. I thought I did so well, to...

And thank you for your acceptance into the playtest! I was upset at myself when I missed a spot on the team.

Edit: Just got accepted, same character but a few minor modifications. I look forward to trying this out in the morning .
    Last edited by Xechon; 2012-06-18 at 10:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elfstone View Post
    And here I was being all confused. I read it once. In 7th grade. Made my head hurt after I finished it. Never had the nerve to do so again.

However the Princess Bride the book, now that was a great book. I've only read an abridged copy, but apparently the original had 70+ pages devoted to detailing the wardrobe of the princess... What some people do for the sake of humor.....

Elf, you fell for it then. There was no "original" Princess Bride. The book pretends there is. Trust me. I fell for it too. I searched and searched for the original. It doesn't exist. I love how it does this, to make it seem more mysterious. It draws you in. I found the book hilarious and as fun to read as the movie is to watch. :)

As for the slot in the play test. It seems I've missed my chance. Shucks.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, I was hoping for a human character with little elf traits, as it didn't specify which special traits humans can choose from. And that backstory is that of my best defined character, with a few modifications to fit this server's apparent feel. I'll try out some of my others, then. Also, they didn't kill his parents, ones still alive and the other dire of natural causes. He wants to give his life for the same cause as his brother, who had the "you killed my father mentality". I had a corrupted government version earlier, but decided I don't want to die and get stolen from and grifed in the wilderness, so I used that one. I thought I did so well, to...

And thank you for your acceptance into the playtest! I was upset at myself when I missed a spot on the team.

Edit: Just got accepted, same character but a few minor modifications. I look forward to trying this out in the morning .
    Do note that the server isn't actually open to the public right now. We're putting the finishing touches on it, hopefully to be opened tomorrow afternoon. And congrats on being accepted!

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ettin in the Playground

Dang, due to... issues I've got with my tech, I can't do teh online servers.

Any chance I could get a client-side version of whatever mods you are running on Silverage/HH?
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Dang, due to... issues I've got with my tech, I can't do teh online servers.

Any chance I could get a client-side version of whatever mods you are running on Silverage/HH?
    Multiplayer servers use "Plugins", not Mods. Plugins don't have or require Client-sided versions. And the list of Plugins we have is a very long one. Have you actually submitted an app yet? One way or the other, we're still in staff-only-whitelist for the next day or so, so that could possibly explain problems joining.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #502
    Halfling in the Playground

Sorry to derail the derail of the thread but I think I get something. I think the cycles not only represent lifetime of Fourthworldians, but also key to important events/happenings in the community/individual. Am I close?
    Awesome Avatar by DarkCorax. Go check him out, really.

SMURFTASTIC
    The Psionic Blade Adept

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Durksmurf View Post
    Sorry to derail the derail of the thread but I think I get something. I think the cycles not only represent lifetime of Fourthworldians, but also key to important events/happenings in the community/individual. Am I close?
    You'll need a bolded question and three supporters to get an answer.

The views, they are...

OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!
    Last edited by Welknair; 2012-06-19 at 09:11 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Elf, you fell for it then. There was no "original" Princess Bride. The book pretends there is. Trust me. I fell for it too. I searched and searched for the original. It doesn't exist. I love how it does this, to make it seem more mysterious. It draws you in. I found the book hilarious and as fun to read as the movie is to watch. :)

As for the slot in the play test. It seems I've missed my chance. Shucks.
    I considered that but It was so long ago when I read the book and I couldn't find it...

Figures.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    Multiplayer servers use "Plugins", not Mods. Plugins don't have or require Client-sided versions. And the list of Plugins we have is a very long one. Have you actually submitted an app yet? One way or the other, we're still in staff-only-whitelist for the next day or so, so that could possibly explain problems joining.
    I have a blanket problem with joining servers; I can't. At all.

That's why I haven't submitted an application.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ogre in the Playground

Welll that's certainly problematic. You may be able to find aid on the MC Forums in the Support section. I'm not too much of a tech-wizard myself

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ettin in the Playground

Is your copy of minecraft bought or pirated?

World Building Projects:
    Magic

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ettin in the Playground

Bought, of course!

It's probably more my internet connection, when it comes down to it; I live out in the sticks. In America. Where good connectivity is not a priority.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Barbarian in the Playground

HUZZAH. It begins.
    My Extended Homebrewer's Signature

Gunslinger avatar and banner by Flumphy.

Old Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Auron avatar by C-Lam

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    HUZZAH. It begins.
    O.O What begins?

As for minecraft, I ask because pirated copies cannot connect to servers, so I figured I'd ask. Lame for internets...but even at my mom's house who has lame internet, I was able to connect to servers. It might be the way your router is set up...
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2012-06-19 at 11:20 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic