New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Sneak attacking and Gestalt issues

So I made a character for a duo gestalt campaign for a friend. He wanted a rogue with some spellcasting. So I made a rogue/spellthief. Now, I am aware that this is an un-optimized combination and is underpowered. All I need to know is does the SA from both classes stack, or overlap?
    Pointy-eared and proud.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Sneak attacking and Gestalt issues

It doesn't stack when you get it at the same levels. If you skewed either side of it by a single level by dipping another class, all of the Sneak Attack would line up in a way that gets extra dice at different levels.

Anyway, Rogue/variation on Rogue doesn't make for a stellar gestalt character. Why don't you just do Rogue/spellcaster? That's pretty much exactly what was asked for. If you're set on Rogue/castery Rogue, you might as well take a look at Psychic Rogue as well. It's better than Spellthief and much simpler to play as well.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

It doesn't stack. But as Arthur said, why not just do Rogue//Sorcerer or something like that? Spellthief has wimpy casting and is basically the poor man's non-gestalt Rogue//Sorcerer anyway.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Swashbuckler // Spellthief
    Rogue // Wizard
    Do that till the end. (Maybe a PrC or something too)

The two feats that fuel this are Master Spellthief and the Swashbuckler and rogue stack for stuff. This should make you only make you slightly SAD (Int > Dex > Con). If you can get Lesser Tiefling it will help a lot.

Oh and Psychic Rogue is pretty sweet. Though I don't know if it works with Swashbuckler but you should be able to do something like:
    Psychic Rogue // Wizard
    Psychic Rogue // Master Spellthief
    Psychic Rogue // Wizard
    That to the end, probably PrCing the Wizard side.

Edit: And I think they stack no matter what when you get them so. Its +1d6 not 1d6 Sneak Attack.
    Last edited by Suddo; 2012-02-29 at 02:45 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Currently Glanror in the Political Shenanigans campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rankar View Post
    *I may not teach the paladin communism and the concept of the greater good.
    *It is not within my rights to overthrow the established monarchy using the communist paladin.