New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Problem has been resolved

I tried to go to the WoW main site a few minutes ago and was greeted by a virus, has the link just gotten corrupted?, Or has something like what happened to EQ2 a while back happened?
    edit; well, less of a virus, more of a scam, but still it looks like the WoW site has been hacked, and once I did an emergancy shutdown of my computer and restarted it I found myself logged out of my forum acount[this forum], which made me fear that there may have been a virus as well as a scam site redirecting people from the main WoW site
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-02-28 at 08:23 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: WoW Hacked?

Must be on your end, because I can get to both www.worldofwarcraft.com and us.battle.net fine. Or maybe its just my cache'd version of them? :S

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

If no one else is having this trouble it could be on your end, you may be being redirected to a fake/scam WoW site by a virus of some type
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    If no one else is having this trouble it could be on your end, you may be being redirected to a fake/scam WoW site by a virus of some type
    you're definitely being redirected by scammers

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Ty for the help with figuring this out, it's good to know it's just at my end, I've removed the link in my favorites menu I used to use to get there and replaced it with a new link after I went there from google, and it seems to work fine now(I also can't find anything that has been changed on my computer, so perhaps the link just got messed up somehow, it's rather odd really, as everything works fine now that I'm using a new link).
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Still, you should really run an scan of your PC for malware, perhaps that is just a symptom of a nastier program running in there. May not even be after your WoW info but your credit card data from when you subscribe.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

After it happened again(different website, though I didn't get logged out of anything this time, I think the forced logout was just a fluke) I searched a bit and was able to pinpoint and remove the virus.(luckily it wasn't one that hacked any information, but one that tried to scam you, though it wouldn't have found much information on the computer I use for gaming anyway, as I only use it for gaming and writing down homebrewed dnd stats in word documents, and I store most of my important information in my head or on paper or on an email acount that I never log onto on this computer, which possesses a different password, different usename and is registered under a different irl name[my full name instead of my nickname])
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-02-28 at 08:01 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Remember to change your passwords to you usual online accounts, games included. To avoid the usual, "Hey dude, where's my gear?" question.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Just now noticed your post, I had the 503 error when trying to edit the one I made above, so it took me a couple minutes to get the edit to post right, and aye, I've already changed my passwords, and part of the reason I put so much effort into making sure that this computer has the minimum information on it is due to once having been hacked.(I look back on that one incident with a bit of a laugh, due to the fact that the hacker missed the actually valuable items[it was a few days after cata released and I had a few stacks of cata crafting materials, however they only went for the older items, as it seems they hadn't updated their information at the time, they also oddly went for one of my low level characters, and sold the items in his inventory, which were all greys with almost no value, it was sort of funny when those got restored along with the items I had lost which actually had value])
    Last edited by Togath; 2012-02-28 at 08:14 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)