Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Why am I here?

    Default Still care about Oblivion?

    It's odd. Guards say 'arrow to the knee' all the time in Skyrim and that catches on. Yet somehow, 'I saw a mudcrab the other day.' never caught on.

    Anyway, I decided to start this for the benefit of people who like one Elder Scroll and stick to it (my sister is fond of Morrowind) or for people who can't stay current on video games.

    In particular, I was wondering if anyone had some neat-o potion recipes to share. I finally found all master level alchemy equipment and I can finally get cooking Paula Dean style on my deadly potables.

    One cool potion I discovered is Nightshade+Arrowroot+Leek+Primrose Leaves. This makes a combined effect burden+damage strength poison, with some damage luck thrown in for fun. While the numbers may look unimpressive initially, at alchemy 100 with master equipment, four doses of this .1 weight poison can immobilize a minotaur lord, three doses can down a female Orc Marauder, and only two can stop a female Dark Elf Bandit Bowman- all for 180 seconds! While it's not totally as good as paralyze in that enemies can still shoot or cast at you, enemies can't melee you or squirm out of the way of your own shots or spells. Further, if you have a claymore and they have anything other than that, you can inch forward to beat on them without any retaliation.

    Although that aside, I am also enchanted by the wonderful music and world of Oblivion as well. The gameplay is fun and most of the quests are well designed. You know what Oblivion has that Skyrim doesn't? Color.

    P.S. Google coconut crab if you want to see a mudcrab today.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Starwulf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Western Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Still care about Oblivion?

    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    It's odd. Guards say 'arrow to the knee' all the time in Skyrim and that catches on. Yet somehow, 'I saw a mudcrab the other day.' never caught on.

    Anyway, I decided to start this for the benefit of people who like one Elder Scroll and stick to it (my sister is fond of Morrowind) or for people who can't stay current on video games.

    In particular, I was wondering if anyone had some neat-o potion recipes to share. I finally found all master level alchemy equipment and I can finally get cooking Paula Dean style on my deadly potables.

    One cool potion I discovered is Nightshade+Arrowroot+Leek+Primrose Leaves. This makes a combined effect burden+damage strength poison, with some damage luck thrown in for fun. While the numbers may look unimpressive initially, at alchemy 100 with master equipment, four doses of this .1 weight poison can immobilize a minotaur lord, three doses can down a female Orc Marauder, and only two can stop a female Dark Elf Bandit Bowman- all for 180 seconds! While it's not totally as good as paralyze in that enemies can still shoot or cast at you, enemies can't melee you or squirm out of the way of your own shots or spells. Further, if you have a claymore and they have anything other than that, you can inch forward to beat on them without any retaliation.

    Although that aside, I am also enchanted by the wonderful music and world of Oblivion as well. The gameplay is fun and most of the quests are well designed. You know what Oblivion has that Skyrim doesn't? Color.

    P.S. Google coconut crab if you want to see a mudcrab today.
    Hmm, it may not have caught on on the internet at large, but on the Bethsoft forums themselves it certainly did. It's an extremely common reoccurring joke over there, with many MANY variations ^^ Though, I do believe the best use(and directly from Oblivion) is "I've fought mudcrabs harder then you!" whenever you're fighting a humanoid opponent :)
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2012-02-27 at 02:28 AM.
    Avatar is Chaos Devil Dragon from Puzzle & Dragons!

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Ogremindes's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Lawson, Sydney

    Default Re: Still care about Oblivion?

    I saw no reason to ever play Oblivion again after Fallout 3 came out. Oblivion was, for me, all about wandering the map exploring, which F3 just does better. Some of the quest chains were good (DB, Thieves Guild, Shivering Isles main quest), but that doesn't save it from having however many scores of dungeons with absolutely nothing of interest.
    Steam: Ogremindes
    Torchlight 2: Ogremindes
    Diablo III: Ogremindes#1316
    Guild Wars 2: Ogremindes.9786 - Recruiting for unofficial Playground guild

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Triaxx's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Still care about Oblivion?

    I stopped playing oblivion largely because other games were satisfying my need to wander around and be horribly murdered by over powered enemies. Then I discovered Oscuro's, and spent another hundred hours in Oblivion.

    Unfortunately, now with Skyrim being out, I'm finding that Oblivion doesn't quite hold my attention, outside of the handful of guild quests. Because the Thieves Guild line is STILL awesome. And so is the Dark Brotherhood.

    For a potion recipe, I don't quite remember them all, but I found Dragons Tongue, Cheese, and a couple of others produced a very useful defensive potion for stopping fireballs from terminating me. Cannot remember the exact formula, nor can I find my potions list at the moment. I do recall those were two base ingredients in a lot of potions I made though.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2012-02-27 at 06:30 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Craft (Cheese)'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Still care about Oblivion?

    I haven't played Oblivion in a few months now, but I used to keep up with the new mods coming out on a daily basis.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Comet's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Still care about Oblivion?

    The total conversion mod called 'Nehrim' is my favourite thing about Oblivion.

    It has some of the problems of Oblivion, facial animations, combat and all that. But it makes up for it with a story of an epic scale, even if it gets a bit silly at times, and locations that are actually exotic and fun to explore instead of the boring 'fantasy' land of Oblivion full of forests that I could explore just as well by taking a hike a stone's throw from where I live.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"

    --
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

    Avatars of yesterday and avatars of tomorrow:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Burning skeleton by Bisected8

    Charming vendor by Lerky

    Fremen by grubblybubbly

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Triaxx's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Still care about Oblivion?

    I tried to like Nehrim. I really, honestly did. But it was so obfuscatingly hard. I made it out of the first dungeon only on my... seventh try I think.

    I suppose there was an epic story buried in there somewhere, but I couldn't stay interested long enough to find it. And it's not that I've got a short attention span either, it was just that hard to get into. I suspect that it was the difference between it and base Oblivion.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: Still care about Oblivion?

    Mudcrabs were definitely memetic with people who'd played Oblivion. I think the main reason that the 'arrow in the knee' thing became omnipresent is because Skyrim had a very big release. It broke records for sales on Steam by a wide margin, everyone and their dog had played it. Oblivion was definitely popular and it spawned memes from its own dialogue/glitches/AI, but it didn't get the universal hype and attention of Skyrim.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Androgeus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Carlisle, Englund
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Still care about Oblivion?

    I use to see a mud crab the other day, but then I took an arrow to the knee.... I feel dirty now
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Why am I here?

    Default Re: Still care about Oblivion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    I use to see a mud crab the other day, but then I took an arrow to the knee.... I feel dirty now
    So I guess you can't "Keep Moving"? On to the bookstore where you can find all the filthy books still uncensored? Out of an unplayably old game?
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

    I am deeply sorry to everyone for everything.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGirl

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Why am I here?

    Default Re: Still care about Oblivion?

    Thinking moron 'Arrow to the knee' I think it should be the term used to describe someone who is debilitated by discovering a new Elder Scrolls game.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Craft (Cheese)'s Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011

    Default Re: Still care about Oblivion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Talvereaux View Post
    Mudcrabs were definitely memetic with people who'd played Oblivion. I think the main reason that the 'arrow in the knee' thing became omnipresent is because Skyrim had a very big release. It broke records for sales on Steam by a wide margin, everyone and their dog had played it. Oblivion was definitely popular and it spawned memes from its own dialogue/glitches/AI, but it didn't get the universal hype and attention of Skyrim.
    Yeah, Oblivion has tons of memes, just none of them that went too far outside the Oblivion playing/modding community. Probably the one that came closest to getting exposure outside of this realm was "STOP! YOU VIOLATED THE LAW!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •