New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default what are good feats for an animal companion to take?

The srd says that the bonus HD of an Animal Companion give it feats.
    Assuming this does not mean evasion, devotion, etc, I'd like to know some good feats to give an animal companion, especially
    Spoiler
    Show
    the fleshraker(magebred, wartrained) of an 7th lvl druid with natural bond

Important: Combat feats are good, this much is clear. But Animal companions, especially fleshrakers, are already quite good fighters. Perhaps we can find some utility feats that help not further unbalancing, but makin the beast more feasible out of combat...

some feats I found to be interesting:

Ability focus: poison (if the beast has an poison attack)
    Virulent Poison (the same +2 to dc, stacks with focus)
    Rapid strike (+improved) probably the quintessential sample of an further overpowering feat
    Travel devotion (usable only once per day, but great for any charger)
    Animal devotion teach your bear to fly. RAW it says "character level" but I think few DM will not let you apply HD
    Martial study Should be quite a hoot. but what to take?

Darkstalker (especially great on sneaky-like beasts)

Imp Ini, if your DM rules the AC to have its own initiative

if you get your DM to allow it, you can have take an celestial AC Vow of poverty, but honestly, that means going deep into cheddarland.
    Last edited by Phaederkiel; 2012-02-27 at 05:08 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: what are good feats for an animal companion to take?

Charging feats, mostly... Powerful Charge, Shock Trooper, Power Attack, Battle Jump, Leap Attack.

Also, for the poison stuff? You left off Deadly Poison from your list.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

It also gets skill points for those extra HD. Give it enough cross-class Spellcraft ranks to take the Mage Slayer line of feats in CA.

Power Attack + Leap Attack is pretty good. Give it Armbands of Might and teach it to always Power Attack for -2 to hit, for +4 damage. Leap Attack will make that +8 damage, and it combines well with its Leaping Pounce. Yet another example of further-overpowering feats.

If you give it Martial Study, take it twice for Wall of Blades and Iron Heart Surge. Martial Stance for Punishing Stance is also pretty good with so many attacks.

Open Minded could actually be pretty useful, especially if you want to give it some Skill Tricks from CS.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Male

I saw a psychic warrior build with Wild Cohort to get himself a dire (fruit) bat, and then retrained its feats to give it Shape Soulmeld (Phase Cloak) (and since he had levels in totemist, he got a phase cloak too). Then he used Psionic Open Chakra and some ML-boosters to bind it to both their shoulder slots. Then he used an animal trick to teach it to go ethereal when it moved on command.

Having perfect maneuverability at half-speed and the ability to move through creatures and objects and to ignore AoOs and terrain came in REALLY handy, I hear.

5. - Top - End - #5

yep, I left deadly poison off the list, because I never saw any fight long enough that a secondary damage would kick in. Fights hardly go ever for one minute, much less against a charging fleshraker.

The ability to spit the poison is much more interesting, i think. and yet, i am afraid, not good enough.

I like the maneuver that allows you to jump as a swift action. That gives mr.34 to jumpchecks a real nice moveability once per encounter.

Punishing stance looks good, indeed. The Raker in question has some 30-ish AC, so it would not matter much if he would reduce it.

step of wind could be used to ignore DM hosers against charge (or self-imposed ones cast by the druid.

Battleleaders charge give a flat 10 damage on nearly every attack the raker makes. Better for a rhino-type Companion, though.

child of shadow makes the beast harder to hit. Probably better than +AC after you hit 30 ac.

Imp Initiative is a feat one could consider.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phaederkiel View Post
    Imp Initiative is a feat one could consider.
    Normally, the animal companion acts on the player's turn in the init, so Improved Init wouldn't be useful as a feat taken by the animal.

7. - Top - End - #7

unfortunately, having a stance (which is far better than having a single maneuver without any recovery method) needs having a maneuver first.

one more thng about the poison feats:
    It escaped me to notice that an animal Companions poison dcs increase even without the help of feats. (the raker in question has not a 14, but a 19 without the feat) thus rendering the DC-increasers less important than I thought.

by the way, what happens if an Animal Companion gains Multiattack while already having it?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

No mention of Hidden Talent yet?

It's always got some tricks to grant. Minor Creation for poison is one of the best uses for a Blackguard's pretty cruddy servant.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

by the way, what happens if an Animal Companion gains Multiattack while already having it?
    Gaining the same feat multiple times, unless it has provisions for stacking, means that additional copies do nothing. You still have the feat twice for the purpose of things that care about numbers of feats, but you gain no additional benefit beyond having it once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #10

Personally, I have a Swindlespitter (MM3) with Lucky Fingers and Skill Focus: Sleight of Hand. We have a very unruly rogue in our party, and one day when he steals something too valuable I'm just going to have my dinosaur steal it back.
    Throw the dice high.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz10019 View Post
    Normally, the animal companion acts on the player's turn in the init, so Improved Init wouldn't be useful as a feat taken by the animal.
    Actually, as a separate creature the AC should also have its own initiative count (the exception is if you're using it as a mount, since your initiatives have to be synched for the mount rules to work.) DMs and players will often just set the companion to whatever the player's initiative is as a matter of convenience, but there's no rule I know of that says this is actually how it's supposed to work.

12. - Top - End - #12

is there a good way to make an animal companion a magical beast?
    as to give it rapidstrike?
    Last edited by Phaederkiel; 2012-02-26 at 08:31 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm pretty sure if your animal companion becomes a magical beast, it can no longer be your animal companion, because it is no longer an animal. Unless there is some feat/feature somewhere I am not aware of. However, with that said, easiest way I know would be to Awaken it. It becomes a magical beast along with now being able to talk. It might even still help you out if you ask (but now it's an NPC, not an AC)
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I was magically yanked out of my bed by a Demon Lord, and deposited into a huge dungeon with three strangers. None of them were pyromaniacs :(

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Actually, as a separate creature the AC should also have its own initiative count (the exception is if you're using it as a mount, since your initiatives have to be synched for the mount rules to work.) DMs and players will often just set the companion to whatever the player's initiative is as a matter of convenience, but there's no rule I know of that says this is actually how it's supposed to work.
    and it would be quite inconvenient if you have any dex-based companion while you yourself dumped dex completely. Our druid has an ini of -1, her raker one of 7. Since the rule says "in doubt for the player", we always ruled ini to be seperate.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Mage Slayer is a fun feat for animal companions. Eats up what very few skill points they get though.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

as to give it rapidstrike?
    Celestial Companion, Book of Exalted Deeds. Also lets it take Vow of Poverty if you don't feel like buying it gear.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Celestial Companion, Book of Exalted Deeds. Also lets it take Vow of Poverty if you don't feel like buying it gear.
    Exactly. The Exalted Companion feat will let you choose a celestial fleshraker, which is a magical beast.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShriekingDrake View Post
    Exactly. The Exalted Companion feat will let you choose a celestial fleshraker, which is a magical beast.
    Ah yes, Exalted Companion, my bad.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShriekingDrake View Post
    Oh wow, I knew about Exalted Companion but never much liked it because... well... I don't like exalted stuffs. I didn't realize that making it celestial would make it a magical beast.... those two concepts never connected lol. I think the last time I looked up the template was my first ever game I GMed... and then it was only to slap onto whatever the paladin's mount was as a freebie.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I was magically yanked out of my bed by a Demon Lord, and deposited into a huge dungeon with three strangers. None of them were pyromaniacs :(

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Fleshraker doesn't combine well with exalted feats, since one of the restrictions of maintaining an exalted status is to not use poison. Granted, it's your character maintaining the exalted status and his companion using the poison, but that's still a slippery slope.

Note that with Exalted Companion on a non-poison-using critter like a Dire Eagle (RoS), your companion can also take exalted feats such as VoP.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Fleshraker doesn't combine well with exalted feats, since one of the restrictions of maintaining an exalted status is to not use poison. Granted, it's your character maintaining the exalted status and his companion using the poison, but that's still a slippery slope.

Note that with Exalted Companion on a non-poison-using critter like a Dire Eagle (RoS), your companion can also take exalted feats such as VoP.
    Not wishing to dive into the perennial discussion about the differences between ravages and poison or the distinction between killing with pain and the more harmless vectors of some poisons--I do wonder whether there is a distinction between choosing to use poison and exuding it naturally. My dog is not evil merely because she is an allergen to my brother. Anyway, the BoED is for mature players and DMs, and, as with everything--especially those things associated with BoVD and BoED--DMs will have to make decisions about what works for balance, enjoyment, and flavor. Myself, because exaltedness is a state of mind and about choices, I would not rule that a creature that naturally exudes poison cannot be exalted. But I would also not quibble with a DM who ruled otherwise. We are, after all, on the periphery of the game when dinosaurs can consider being exalted.

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGuy

Improved Unarmed Strike, Superior Unarmed Strike, and/or Snap kick are sometimes mentioned as a way to give the AC iterative attacks and more of them, especially if it's a pouncer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    How does it qualify for VoP by gaining the Celestial Template?
    Amazing avatar by Ceika
    “A player is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisly when the plot dictates he should.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    You're the Stalin of dice!

24. - Top - End - #24

I would like to add the Darkstalker feat from LoM to the list of feats being considered.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Fleshraker usually can't be celestial due to the poison. If your DM lets it pass, kudos. If not, Arcane Heirophant's "Familiar Companion" ability would make it count as a Magical Beast. Plus give it all the other benefits of a familiar.

26. - Top - End - #26

how can improved Unarmed Strike & co work, when the creature in question clearly has natural weapons (and in the rakers case, even a weapon focus...)

i will update Darkstalker, though.

Is there a way to give sneak attack via feats? Craven could be quite fantastic on an AC.

27. - Top - End - #27

NecromancerGuy

Unarmed strike is not incompatible with having other natural weapons. Further, one can make an unarmed strike in many, many unorthodox ways. Having the ends of all of one's manipulating appendages wrapped up in claws and talons isn't really that much of an impediment.

Considering that a gore from a horn + bite attack is able to fly, there's no reason a bite attack can't combo with headbutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    How does it qualify for VoP by gaining the Celestial Template?
    It makes the familiar intelligent enough to be able to choose to undertake the vow and Good, so it qualifies.

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    Fleshraker usually can't be celestial due to the poison. If your DM lets it pass, kudos. If not, Arcane Heirophant's "Familiar Companion" ability would make it count as a Magical Beast. Plus give it all the other benefits of a familiar.
    No rules about poisonous creatures being unable to be Celestial.

No rules against good creatures having poison, either.

BoED's rules on poison-use by creatures being evil are, well, just plain horse pucky and are one of the top things that should be discarded by any group and they should be encouraged rather than discouraged.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-02-27 at 05:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Acanous View Post
    One problem with the idea that a creature with natural poison can't be exalted is the couatl, a lawful good creature with a poisonous bite, basically they just didn't think about that part of an exalted creature(paladins can even have a ashworm[from sandstorm] as a mount, which possesses a poison sting) when they wrote BoED.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

29. - Top - End - #29

As far as unarmed strikes go... don't forget about the Beast Strike feat from Dragon 355. It basically allows a creature to add their claw or slam base damage to their unarmed strike or grapple damage.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Feats I like for creatures that already pounce:
    Shape Soulmeld (Bloodtalons) -Good for keeping it up in negative HP
    Shape Soulmeld (Dread Carapace) -1 attack with natural weapons, +2 damage on bite, +1 damage on other natural weapons. If you get the guy essentia (Bonus Essentia feat), every essentia increases penalty by 1, and bonuses by 2 and 1, respectively.
    Shape Soulmeld (Impulse Boots) - Uncanny Dodge
    Shape Soulmeld (Lightning Gauntlets) - Electric Touch as standard action (not very good) 1d6 damage, +1d6 per essentia.
    Shape Soulmeld (Lucky Dice) - +1 luck bonus to several different things (Choose 1: Attack and damage, all saving throws, or all skill and ability checks)
    Shape Soulmeld (Thunderstep Boots) - Melee attacks at the end of a charge deal +1d4 sonic damage, +1d4 per essentia.
    Shape Soulmeld (Astral Vambraces) - DR 2/magic, +2 per essentia.

Open Least Chakra (Varies):
    • Dread Carapace - Feet, +60 to speed for 1 round, once per minute. each essentia gives +10 more.
    • Lightning Gauntlets - Hands, Electric damage can be added to one natural attack per round (1d6, +1d6 per essentia). Makes it a bit better.
    • Lucky Dice - Hands, luck bonus applies to all allies within 30 feet.
    • Thunderstep Boots - Feet, Creatures that take sonic damage from meld are stunned for a round, fort negates.
    • Astral Vambraces -Hands, Gain 2 slam attacks. 1d6 for medium, 1d8 for large creatures.

Bonus Essentia: If it has 6 HD, and you gave it Shape Soulmeld? It gets 2 essentia.
    All of this has happened before...
    and all of this will happen again.

Moving. Internet access is a bit spotty.