New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default A Couple of Paired Monsters (3.5, PEACH)

{{image scrubbed}}

Menders
    Tiny Construct
    HD 2d10 (11 hp)
    Speed 20 ft. (4 squares); Climb 10 ft.
    Init +2
    AC 17 (+3 Natural, +2 Dexterity, +2 Size); touch 14; flat-footed 15
    BAB +1; Grp -9
    Attack Pincer +5 (1d3-2)
    Full-Attack Pincer +5 (1d3-2)
    Space 2 1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
    Special Attacks Spell Like Abilities, Repair
    Special Qualities Construct Traits, DR 5/Admantine
    Saves Fort +1 Ref +3 Will +1
    Abilities Str 6, Dex 15, Con -, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 1
    Skills Climb +12, Hide +10, Move Silently +2
    Feats Weapon Finesse
    Environment Any
    Organization Solitary, Cluster (4-7), Conglomerate (20-80)
    Challenge Rating 1
    Treasure Standard, Parts
    Alignment True Neutral
    Advancement -
    Level Adjustment -

The Menders where servants created ages past for powerful wizards who created machines for war, and needed machines to attend them. They are not fighters traditionally, but are willing to engage in combat if threatened or they are interrupted in their work. They look like large spiders, made out of masses of gears and metallic parts. They have 4 small spindly legs, and two small mandibles where a mouth would be on a normal creature. They weigh about 30 pounds, and are about 1 ½ foot in diameter.

Combat

Individually Menders avoid combat, using their small size to evade encounters, however when they are grouped they use rudimentary tactics like ambushes to defeat foes. They care little for their own lives and are willing to be destroyed for a greater effort. Typically they form into groups based off what spell like abilities they have. Another reason they are willing to sacrifice themselves is they know they could be rebuilt, given the materials.

Repair (Su): Menders have the unique ability to create others of their own kind. Whenever their conglomerate reaches below a certain number they were programmed to create more of themselves, to restore the balance. They need relatively little material, a 1 ft. cube of stone or metal per Mender to be created or repaired. This process creates a new 1 HD Mender and takes 1 minute. The Mender can then bring itself up to 2 HD by destroying one more 1 ft. cube.

Spell-like Abilities: Menders' spell-like abilities are not standardized, but are drawn from the following list: Burning Hands, Grease, Magic Fang, Magic Missile, Repair Light Wounds, or Sleep using 1d6 to determine the spell for any individual. 1 HD instead have either Acid Splash, or Mending. Caster level is 1 for both abilities. The save are Wisdom based, so DC 11 for 1st level, and 10 for 0th for a typical Mender.

{{image scrubbed}}
    Metalcatessen
    Tiny Ooze
    HD 2d10+10 (21)
    Speed 15 ft. (3 squares); Climb 10 ft.
    Init: +1
    AC 15 (+2 Natural, +1 Dexterity, +2 Size); touch 13; flat-footed 14
    BAB +1; Grp -5
    Attack Slam +5 (1d3+2)
    Full-Attack Slam +5 (1d3+2)
    Space 2 1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
    Special Attacks Absorb, Cling
    Special Qualities Ooze Traits
    Saves Fort +6 Ref +2 Will -4
    Abilities Str 15, Dex 13, Con 20, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1
    Skills Climb +10
    Feats -
    Environment Underground
    Organization Solitary, Seekers (4-6), Hive (30-100)
    Challenge Rating 1
    Treasure None
    Alignment True Neutral
    Advancement 2-3 HD(Tiny), 4-6 HD (Small), 7-9 (Medium)
    Level Adjustment -

Metalcatessen are oozes created to destroy metal and jewelry, especially magical items. Their only goal in life is to find these objects and to absorb them, increasing their size and thus giving them the potential to absorb more. The look like little piles of purple slime, but form themselves into acidic and dangerous pseudopods, attacking with their entire bodies. Their acid however does not affect flesh at at all. Metalcatessen weigh about 5 lbs and have a diameter of about 1 foot.

Combat

Metalcatessen do not seek combat, but do seek metal so they typically fall into battles, especially large scale ones. After taking a sufficient quantity of metal a Gem Devourer will typically flee from combat, but because of its slow speed often it does not get very far. However since they typically travel in large groups they can often overwhelm humanoids and take all of the metal or valuable objects on them, thus creating more Metalcatessen.

Absorb (Ex): Metalcatessen can absorb metal and create more of themselves through splitting. A Metalcatessen does 1d3 acid damage to any unattended metal objects and ignores hardness. Attended objects typically allow a reflex save for the person who has the object on them(DC 15, Constitution based) to avoid taking the damage. When this process destroys 25 lbs worth of metal a Metalcatessen can reproduce, effectively doubling itself. Typically it clings to a ceiling while doing this, as the process takes one hour and it is completely vulnerable during the process. At the end another Gem Devourer is created, and springs up in the square next to its progenitor.

Cling (Ex): Metalcatessen have a special body structure which enables them to cling to perfectly vertical surfaces with ease, effectively negating the need to make climb checks, even on straight horizontal or vertical surfaces.

I plan to use these monsters for an upcoming campaign for some low level characters. Effectively they find this underground structure where these guys have been fighting for dozens of years, with both able to reproduce easily they keep bringing for troops to the front lines, and no one ever makes any progress. They will also weaken the structures around them, so they can have a thrilling escape as the building is coming down, so what does the playground think?
    Last edited by Dumbledore lives; 2012-10-20 at 10:37 PM.
    Shapperdash, movie reviews amongst other things.
    Natural 1, a tale of critical failures
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew
    1st in Iron Chef XXXIV with a Warforged bard

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: A Couple of Paired Monsters (3.5, PEACH)

So I realized I made a few basic mistakes, missing caster level, missing attack bonuses for one of them, and added in the DCs for the abilities, and am wondering if they seem like appropriate CR 1 monsters, because that is what I'm most worried about.
    Spoiler
    Show

If you're ever in a situation where you can't survive, go for the broke and fill all of creation with chickens. Just imagine the reaction of people halfway around the world when every square inch of space in their world is suddenly and completely full of chickens.
    Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

well lets figure it out doing this
    Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble
    Divide its average HP by 4.5 to 6,
    4.5 for 5 HD or lower, 5 for 6-10 HD, 5.5 for 11-15 HD, 6 for 16-20 HD.
    Add 1 for each five points above 10 its AC is, minusing 1 for every 5 below.
    Add 1 for each special attack (+2 to +5 or more if its got a decent number of spells in its spell-like abilities).
    Add 1 for each quality unless you deem it worthy of more. Add 1 for each resistance and 10 points of DR it has, and 2 for each immunity.
    Add 1 for every two bonus feats it has.
    Divide by 3.
    lets do the menders first
    11 HP, 2
    17 ac, 1
    SPA, 1
    dr, <1
    so 4-5, a high CR 1, so thats fine

gem devours
    21 hp, 4
    15 ac, 1
    so 5, a high Cr1-low Cr2, so it is still good, all seems to check up well,

i like the monsters as well, the flavours are great, except that the gem devourer eats... metal? just wondering if thats a mistake or what

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by zetsu1919 View Post
    well lets figure it out doing this

lets do the menders first
    11 HP, 2
    17 ac, 1
    SPA, 1
    dr, <1
    so 4-5, a high CR 1, so thats fine

gem devours
    21 hp, 4
    15 ac, 1
    so 5, a high Cr1-low Cr2, so it is still good, all seems to check up well,

i like the monsters as well, the flavours are great, except that the gem devourer eats... metal? just wondering if thats a mistake or what
    Yeah, Gem Devourer's name is a little off, but I don't really like metal eater or something like that. Maybe something like Metalcatessen, or Metal Muncher. Actually name suggestions could be really helpful, because I can't really decide on one I like.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

i have no ideas as of now, but metalcatessen made me laugh, so it is a start

6. - Top - End - #6

Given I haven't come up with any other satisfactory ideas I think I will go with Metalcatessen. If any one else has any critiques it would be great, but for now I'm pretty happy with them.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew