New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: Physics In the Playground

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    My favorite Physics presentation EVER.
    Jude P.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by teratorn View Post
    It's about 550 nano-meters.
    I half expected a response like this, but I ran with it anyway

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    made of win!
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    I have to say that just the concept of a wave surpasses my comprehension. I understand a wave of liquid or a wave of pressure, or even a sine wave as a mathmatical function.

But a wave of electromagnetism? The wind tastes awfully blue today.
    Then prepare to have your mind blown...

GRAVITATIONAL WAVES.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JCarter426 View Post
    Then prepare to have your mind blown...

GRAVITATIONAL WAVES.
    There are no words.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

I have to say that just the concept of a wave surpasses my comprehension. I understand a wave of liquid or a wave of pressure, or even a sine wave as a mathmatical function.

But a wave of electromagnetism? The wind tastes awfully blue today.
    As others have mentioned, wave-particle duality (and waviness in general, especially with regards to forces [EM, gravity, etc.]) is a fundamental part of modern science. Everything has WPD, even macroscopic objects, however, the wavelengths of macroscopic objects are much to small in comparison to their physical size for this to be observed/meaningful.

Example: The wavelength of an object that masses 100 kg (say, an adult human) and is moving at 5 m/s (a meh running speed), has a wavelength of 1.32*10^-36 m, or ~10^36 times smaller than said human. Contrast this to an electron moving at 5 m/s (not going to happen, but it is useful for comparison), the wavelength is 1.45*10^-4 m, which is ~10^11 times larger than the classical radius of an electron. So we can observe wave properties for an electron, but not a human.

More fun with the dual slit experiment: if you dim the light down a lot, so that you know that only one photon is going through the experiment apparatus over some time, you still get a wave pattern if one collects data for a long period of time. However, each individual photon hits a single spot on the collection screen as if it were a particle (like a BB hitting a wall) but the locations where it can hit are determined by the probabilities due to the wave (due to the photon interfering with itself)! So a location where wave interferrence would cancel out (leaving a dark spot in a bright light experiment) will never have a "hit," and it is more likely for the hit to occur in a area where the wave interference adds up. You can never be sure where the photon will hit, only where it won't hit.

And the dual slit experiment has been done with stuff much larger than electrons: 60 Carbon buckyballs have been used in a dual slit experiment, and they did indeed show wave properties, despite their size.

Quote Originally Posted by Yora
    You mean it's a series of alternating layers of magnetic and electronic fields?
    Not really. To reiterate: A moving magnetic field induces (creates) an electric field that is perpendicular in direction to both the magnetic field and the direction in which the magnetic field is moving. (This is also true for the reverse, a moving electric field induces a magnetic field...) So the magnetic field and the electric field oscillate around a line (that points in the direction of movement) and are perpendicular to each other.

Here is a .gif that shows what is happening: gif.
    The New Soulknife Handbook!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    And there I was thinking that Midichlorian counts were a variety of force-sensitive hereditary noble- most notably Dooku.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, so I have a sort of odd question. In some works of fiction magic interferes with "technology". I put technology in quotes because it seems a bit random what counts as "technology". Anyways, a thought occurred to me, but I don't know enough physics to know if it would work. A magnetic field interferes with electronics, correct? So could we say that that magic produces an electromagnetic field, or even works on electromagnetic principles? If so, what effects would a field capable of interfering with electronics have in general? For example, would it have other effects besides interfering with electronics?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Barbarian in the Playground

I dare say it should interfere with compasses. But if you're looking for a scientific explanation for it, I'd say magnetism isn't the best one. Magnetic fields don't mess with technology in the way that magic does in certain fictional works - or at least, the strength of a magnetic field required for one to do such would be so enormous that a wizard would have other problems beside messing up someone's computer. Static electricity is less problematic; for one thing, it's directly harmful to a variety of technical components (magnets aren't, it's just that hard drives use magnets to store data, so other magnets would interfere, of course), but more importantly, you don't need a bolt of lightning to do it.

I prefer any explanation that involves quantum mechanics though, though. In any universe with science as we know it, magic must involve laws physics that are fundamentally different from that we understand. Assuming we haven't gotten everything in physics wrong, there must be entirely separate forces that we haven't discovered, and these forces must involve likewise undiscovered subatomic particles. And how they would react with any other system that involves the delicate manipulation of subatomic particles - e.g. all electronics - I can't say, since we haven't discovered these particles. But it's probably not something good.
    Last edited by JCarter426; 2012-04-03 at 09:36 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

On the other hand, if you're looking for a semi-scientific to pseudo-scientific explanation, much fringe science associates forms of magnetism with the supernatural. Take for instance E.V.P., certain interpretations of ghosts, a couple of takes on psychics, religious experiences, and life itself.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drolyt View Post
    Okay, so I have a sort of odd question. In some works of fiction magic interferes with "technology". I put technology in quotes because it seems a bit random what counts as "technology". Anyways, a thought occurred to me, but I don't know enough physics to know if it would work. A magnetic field interferes with electronics, correct? So could we say that that magic produces an electromagnetic field, or even works on electromagnetic principles?
    Given that "technology" seems to almost always include guns, and the magnet needed to screw up gunpowder ignition is going to cause much bigger problems than messing with "technology" (we're talking about something that is pressing the electrons of every atom towards the nucleus, or stripping them away) it doesn't seem to work.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

It would probably be easier to assume that an intense magical field warps the values of some physical constants in such a way that things stop working...of course, you then have to figure out how a living being remains that way inside such a field! In short, let's just say a wizard did it.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Given that "technology" seems to almost always include guns, and the magnet needed to screw up gunpowder ignition is going to cause much bigger problems than messing with "technology" (we're talking about something that is pressing the electrons of every atom towards the nucleus, or stripping them away) it doesn't seem to work.
    Well, I was thinking it wouldn't include guns. At least, I can't imagine how it could. Guns, or at least some guns, aren't terribly complicated devices (I mean to say that the principle behind them is fairly basic, not that they are easy to engineer). I can't imagine how you would interfere with guns without interfering with almost everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    In short, let's just say a wizard did it.
    That would be easier, yes, but it would also defeat the purpose of me asking.

14. - Top - End - #194

Well, I was thinking it wouldn't include guns. At least, I can't imagine how it could. Guns, or at least some guns, aren't terribly complicated devices (I mean to say that the principle behind them is fairly basic, not that they are easy to engineer). I can't imagine how you would interfere with guns without interfering with almost everything.
    I don't know. A basic gun isn't hard to make. Remember that episode of Star Trek TOS? I think it was "The Arena", but I might be mixing up names.
    Jude P.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Mythbusters tried to build that thing Kirk had made, and theirs didn't work at all.
    Not to say it can't be done, but it's certainly not as easy as Kirk makes it look like.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

16. - Top - End - #196

Of course not. Kirk missed a step. It involves wine and urine (don't ask).
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
    Of course not. Kirk missed a step. It involves wine and urine (don't ask).
    I'm now asking.

18. - Top - End - #198

Mythbusters tried to build that thing Kirk had made, and theirs didn't work at all.
    Not to say it can't be done, but it's certainly not as easy as Kirk makes it look like.
    I was joking by making the Star Trek reference. It's not quite that simple. It is still pretty simple to make a basic gunpowder projectile launcher.
    Jude P.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I was joking by making the Star Trek reference. It's not quite that simple. It is still pretty simple to make a basic gunpowder projectile launcher.
    The trick is not blowing your hands off while doing it.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scotchland View Post
    I'm now asking.
    I'm not exactly sure what he is referring to, but I have heard you can make gunpowder out of urine. I'm not clear on the details.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not exactly sure what he is referring to, but I have heard you can make gunpowder out of urine. I'm not clear on the details.
    I've heard something like that in the past.

The idea was that urine supposedly contains a high concentration of oxygen. If you mixed some blackpowder, urinated on it, and formed it into cakes, then the increased oxygen content would cause it to burn faster, thus more intensely.

I've never tried to verify that though.
    Last edited by Grinner; 2012-04-04 at 01:52 PM.

22. - Top - End - #202

I've heard something like that in the past.

The idea was that urine supposedly contains a high concentration of oxygen. If you mixed some blackpowder, urinated on it, and formed it into cakes, then the increased oxygen content would cause it to burn faster, thus more intensely.

I've never tried to verify that though.
    Actually, the urine was to make the cakes. Look up gunpowder in Wikipedia and search for "wine-drinking bishops".

23. - Top - End - #203

The trick is not blowing your hands off while doing it.
    I've been warned of that before. Still have all ten fingers, and I'm nearly eighteen! This is a good record!

As for the urine--distilled spirits works better. It's the same principle of wet-mixing they use in pharmaceuticals these days.
    Jude P.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Looking on information how to make fascinating and realistic fantasy castles, I found this series on engineering on youtube.
    It's on a very basic level and rather brief on most topics, but if you don't have any previous knowledge except for what you figured out by playing with wood blocks, sticks, and mud, I find it a very easy introduction. Didn't think it's possible to understand the basic principle of buckling without an advanced degree in physics.
    But all those questions like "How do towers topple without being pushed over", "How tall can you stack bricks until the lowest brick at the bottom gets crushed by the weight", or "could you make multi-story buildings with floors made from stone beams without them snapping" (to which the answer is "not in a practical way") are all really not that difficult when someone explains to you the very basics of structural engineering.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

Looking on information how to make fascinating and realistic fantasy castles, I found this series on engineering on youtube.
    Thank you for sharing.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

It's on a very basic level and rather brief on most topics, but if you don't have any previous knowledge except for what you figured out by playing with wood blocks, sticks, and mud, I find it a very easy introduction. Didn't think it's possible to understand the basic principle of buckling without an advanced degree in physics.
    But all those questions like "How do towers topple without being pushed over", "How tall can you stack bricks until the lowest brick at the bottom gets crushed by the weight", or "could you make multi-story buildings with floors made from stone beams without them snapping" (to which the answer is "not in a practical way") are all really not that difficult when someone explains to you the very basics of structural engineering.
    Cool, thanks.

27. - Top - End - #207

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRogue View Post
    It's very much decided. They're quantum objects (as is everything), which means that they're neither, but in different contexts they may act similar to particles or waves.
    Technically, quantum means it exists only at integer multiples of Planck's constant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It's the nitrates in urine, although human urine is far from the best source. Pig urine is much better, and guano is even better, which is the reason why the bird guano cliffs in Chile were considered one of the most important MILITARY resources in the world during WWI. Being cut off from this source was the single reason Germany developed artificial means of making nitrates in bulk.
    I have my own TV show featuring local musicians performing live. YouTube page with full episodes and outtake clips here.
    I also have another YouTube page with local live music clips I've filmed on my own.
    Then there is my gaming YouTube page with Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft, and others.
    Finally, I stream on Twitch, mostly Kerbal Space Program and Minecraft.

29. - Top - End - #209

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Technically, quantum means it exists only at integer multiples of Planck's constant.
    Sorry, no. Quantum means they exists at discrete energy levels, as opposed to continuous ones. They are not integer multiples.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

I've discovered that all animals with sensitive electrolocation live in water? Is this because water conducts electricity more efficiently or is there something else going on? Or is it just chance playing me for a fool?

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo