New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Longest break in video game series

From time to time, there still appear rumors of a Baldur's Gate 3. 12 years after the series was wrapped up and finished.

So I was wondering what was the longest duration for a game series to be picked up again? In this case Duke Nukem wouldn't count, since the game was annouced right after its predecessor was released.

StarCraft 2 has been biding his time for really long. But there's probably even longer cases.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Longest break in video game series

Well. Diablo 3 springs to mind.

I also occasionally hear rumours of System Shock 3.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Duke Nukem, maybe? Forever was the biggest running gag on the internet for at least a decade and it was in development for 15.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Duke Nukem, maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    In this case Duke Nukem wouldn't count, since the game was annouced right after its predecessor was released.
    Reading comprehension fail, maybe?
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Syndicate was released in 93. Syndicate Wars in 96 (along with a combo pack of the first two).

Syndicate released this year, meaning a 16 year break if I'm not missing any obscure entries in the series between then and not counting re-releases.

[Edit] Oh! Another contender springs to mind.
    Yar's Revenge was released in 1982. The next release of any kind mentioned on Wikipedia is a game boy colour version in 1999. That's 17 years. And that was pretty much a straight remake/port, not actually a new game as such.
    You have to wait until 2011 for another actual entry in the series, the mildly baffling re-imagining with the Fly Warrior being a humanoid female in mech armour. (There was also a more faithful prequel release the same year, on facebook).
    Which would possibly set the break as 29 years?
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-02-29 at 10:08 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't help but wonder if this has been prompted by the appearance of a new Baldur's Gate site.
    Last edited by Aidan305; 2012-02-29 at 11:23 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there a point to the above site, other than somewhat improved logo?

Also, I really should finish that BG run I started like a year ago...
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    I can't help but wonder if this has been prompted by the appearance of a new Baldur's Gate site.
    It did, when I saw the thread in the "Other Games" section (where I am pretty sure I started this thread ), but only because in another forum we dug up the "Baldur's Gate 3" thread last week, which we keep digging up every half year or so since 2004.

There are some more or less cryptic messages in the page code, that do not appear on the page itself. The common guess is a graphic update or iphone port.
    Last edited by Yora; 2012-02-29 at 11:30 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Mega Man 8 was released in December of 1996. Mega Man 9 was released in September of 2008, nearly 12 years later. Granted there were plenty of spin-off Mega Man titles in other sub-series in between, but the original series lay dormant for quite a long time.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 and 3 are in a similar position - 2 was released in February 2000, 3 was released in February 2011, so 11 years in between them.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

X-com, perhaps?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Final Fantasy IV was released in 1991; its direct sequel was released in 2008. That's a 17 year difference.

Kunio-kun/River City Ransom had a 14 year break between Super Dodgeball Brawlers and their previous game on the Super Famicom. That would be 16 years if you're counting the series's absence from NA.

Of course, I'm not quite clear what we're judging here. Why does Baldur's Gate 3, a game that may not even exist, count while Duke Nukem Forever-in-development not count?
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Baldur's Gate doesn't count. It only has still people waiting for it and I wondered how often a series did continued after 12 year break.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

I wonder why anybody would consider making a new Baldur's Gate game. The story effectively reached its natural ending. The style of game it presented is not favored by game designers anymore.

Even story-heavy companies like Bioware seem more interested in COOOLZ GAMEPLAY over substantial storyline (see Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

There are some more or less cryptic messages in the page code, that do not appear on the page itself. The common guess is a graphic update or iphone port.
    So I see. But be that as it may, for me the series finished with death of Amylessan and the saga of children of Bhaal is now finished, for better or worse.

That and I'm a nostalgic sucker. Whatever fancy 3D graphics and effects they'd come up with today, they would come nowhere near to glory of Infinity Engine.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Fallout New Vegas- It's just repurposed Van Buren. (12 years after release of Fallout 2)
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    So I see. But be that as it may, for me the series finished with death of Amylessan and the saga of children of Bhaal is now finished, for better or worse.
    Which is why we keep telling it's not going to happen for 10 years.
    Bakc then, it was just stupid. Now it's rediculous.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

I was thinking everquest and everquest 2, but the sequal came out sooner than I thought. Maybe it just felt like everquest had been out forever considering how freaking long it took to level up in it.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Spamalot in the Playground

Tron wins at 20 years between installments
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Mega Man 8 was released in December of 1996. Mega Man 9 was released in September of 2008, nearly 12 years later. Granted there were plenty of spin-off Mega Man titles in other sub-series in between, but the original series lay dormant for quite a long time.
    To me, Megaman will always be the virtual brother of a kid named Lan...

Is there even a way for the X and Zero series to go together? I have a feeling there should be. And since they're robots, I feel like they should connect to the original series too.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty hard to beat Tron...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Is there even a way for the X and Zero series to go together? I have a feeling there should be. And since they're robots, I feel like they should connect to the original series too.
    Yes, although it's kind of weird because the relevant games have multiple endings.. and also because they pretty much ended that particular part of the story line around.. X6, I think.. and then *kept making X games* (really really bad ones, to boot.) Basically, at some point in the story Zero either gets damaged so badly that he's effectively dead, or he's overcome by the Sigma virus (or both at once.) His body gets sealed in a repair capsule in the desert/he quarantines himself until his own systems can figure out a way to make him safe, fast forward a couple hundred years -> Zero games.

(Something similar actually connects the original series to the X set; again, the link is Zero. He's Wiley's creation, designed to be the ultimate robot and destroy Megaman once and for all.. I don't know if he actually achieves that or not, but he's one of the most dangerous 'rogue' robots up until the point he decides to go heroic instead for some reason. Capcom.. isn't very good at storytelling in this series.)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Yes, although it's kind of weird because the relevant games have multiple endings.. and also because they pretty much ended that particular part of the story line around.. X6, I think.. and then *kept making X games* (really really bad ones, to boot.) Basically, at some point in the story Zero either gets damaged so badly that he's effectively dead, or he's overcome by the Sigma virus (or both at once.) His body gets sealed in a repair capsule in the desert/he quarantines himself until his own systems can figure out a way to make him safe, fast forward a couple hundred years -> Zero games.
    See, the thing is, Inafune wanted to end the X series at X5, and then go on with Zero series - and you'll notice that done like that, it fits perfectly well! However, Capcom disagreed, on the ground that X games were making them a gazillion yens (a valid reason, all told) and forced him to keep making X games, despite the fact its story arc had been spent already and the newer games made very little sense chronologically speaking.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan305 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    Is there a point to the above site, other than somewhat improved logo?

Also, I really should finish that BG run I started like a year ago...
    It did, when I saw the thread in the "Other Games" section (where I am pretty sure I started this thread ), but only because in another forum we dug up the "Baldur's Gate 3" thread last week, which we keep digging up every half year or so since 2004.

Here's the comments:

<!-- February 29, 2012 -->
    <!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

<!-- Take heart fellow adventurers, for you have curried the favor of Boo, the only miniature giant space hamster in the Realm! -->

[page content was here]

<!-- I can teach you how to use your wrath. -->
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hmm. Deus Ex came out in, what, 2000? Then we didn't get a sequel until August 2011.

(And yes, I know. I'm choosing to ignore it.)
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    If we're counting ports to different consoles as entries in the series, it does seem to have the lead.

Otherwise, Yars Revenge makes 29 years between entries in the series, which is going to be hard to beat.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Kid Icarus seems to be a good contender at 20 years as well.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Here's the comments:

<!-- February 29, 2012 -->
    <!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

<!-- Take heart fellow adventurers, for you have curried the favor of Boo, the only miniature giant space hamster in the Realm! -->

[page content was here]

<!-- I can teach you how to use your wrath. -->
    Those are new, apart from the Raise Dead bit.

Does anyone have a record somewhere of all the cryptic messages they've been putting down?
    Arcueid Avatar by Elder Tsofu.