New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lightbulb Star Trek Online Fleet Recruitment

Hey. PallElendro, or Elendro Elessedil@jhmgrose, and I'm recruiting Officers in the Playground for a potential fleet, called the Kel'Arthaes Extragalactic Fleet. We take anyone hailing from the Kel'Arthaes Galaxy or in the Milky Way.

The whole goal of the Extragalactic Fleet is to help newbs, earn Special Reserve Gear for Special Task Forces, and for earning accolades that require more than one person. In essence, a help group for people who need it the most. Also, Community Dance/Emote Day, at Club 47, Earth Spacedock. On occasions, I could arrange for some Machinimas. Demorecord is integrated in STO, linky.

The fleet is primarily focused on Special Task Forces, n00b-help, accolades, and derping throughout the galaxy. Everyone is welcome, and we'll all be having fun once we get a tight schedule.

Fleet Uniforms
    Kel'Arthaes Galaxy Uniform - Male
    Spoiler
    Show
    Upper: Sierra 4 - I16 F7 C12 C12
    Material: Glossy
    Color Configuration: 01
    Badge: Combadge - A5
    Hands: Gloves, Paneled - I16 C12

Category: Uniform Pants - Tight
    Belt: Enterprise Mirror Universe I1 I16
    Pants: Reinforced - I16 F7
    Feet: Bulky Tall 2 - I16 F7 C12 F7

Kel'Arthaes Galaxy Uniform - Female
    Spoiler
    Show
    Upper: Sierra 4 - I16 F7 C12 C12
    Material: Glossy
    Badge: Combadge, A5
    Hands: Gloves, Paneled - I16 C12

Category: Uniform Pants - Tight
    Belt: Enterprise Mirror Universe I1 I16
    Pants: Reinforced - I16 F7
    Feet: Bulky Tall 2 - I16 F7 C12 F7

Starfleet Standard Uniform
    Spoiler
    Show
    Category: Uniform - Jacket Loose
    Jacket: Antares 2 (Tactical, A8 - Science, F8 - Operations - C10) H1 I3 H4
    Badge: Combadge A6
    Hands: Bare

Category: Loose Mid-Ankle
    Belt: None
    Lower: Panels and Pockets - H2 H4 H4 H2
    Feet: Leather Boots- H1 H1 H1 H24

Combat Uniform
    Spoiler
    Show
    Category: Off Duty - Jacket Loose
    Upper: Strapped - Q16 H3 A6 A6
    Hands: Gloves - Paneled, I16, C12
    Arm Attach Left: Mercenary Pouches 2 - P18 P18 P18
    Arm Attach Right: Mercenary Pouches 2 - P18 P18 P18
    Chest: Mercenary Bandolier 4 - P18 P18 P18 P18

Category: Off Duty, Loose Mid Ankle
    Belt: Mercenary 2 - P18 P18 P18
    Lower: Mercenary - H3 P22 P22 P22
    Feet: Mercenary - Q16 H3 A6 A6

I'll add more info once the fleet comes in.
    Friend me (Elendro Elessedil@jhmgrose), and we can arrange a time to start up the foundation.
    Last edited by PallElendro; 2012-03-14 at 01:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Star Trek Online Fleet Recruitment

Interesting...

I'll friend you in game the next chance I get.

Edit: Oh, my Federation character is Gelbos@joveusmolai
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2012-02-26 at 12:22 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

I think people can friend if the other is offline.
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Well, this sounds interesting. I haven't played much in the last week or so, and I'm still on the FTP, haven't-payed-a-dime model which prevents me from using a lot of the game's features, but I'd certainly be interested in this. I'll see if I have access to the friending mechanic next time I log on.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Out of curiousity, what's restricted on the F2P version?

I've hit 15/16 Lt Cdr and haven't really seen anything restricted (some ship and equipment/costume choices on microtransaction), or at least nothing that directly impedes my progress.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Some of the communication options, a few social things, and that's it. Nothing really major, actually, just things I've noticed. Actually, I figured out that it was an error in an older version of the game, not the FtP nature of my play, that was preventing me from using Zone chat, so that's the most important one gone. Friending and fleets are both definitely accessible, though, so the things that aren't available really aren't all that important.

I'm at Lt. Cmdr. 19 now, not sure whether I'm looking forwards to my new rank or not. On the one hand, bigger meaner ship with more guns and better BOff slots. On the other hand, I kind of feel like my current ship is about as good as it gets at Lt. Cmdr. and I'm not really looking forwards to having to scrounge up all-new guns and support systems again, not to mention the endless mission to keep my ground crew up to date on their dozens of different pieces of equipment...
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    I'm at Lt. Cmdr. 19 now, not sure whether I'm looking forwards to my new rank or not. On the one hand, bigger meaner ship with more guns and better BOff slots. On the other hand, I kind of feel like my current ship is about as good as it gets at Lt. Cmdr. and I'm not really looking forwards to having to scrounge up all-new guns and support systems again, not to mention the endless mission to keep my ground crew up to date on their dozens of different pieces of equipment...
    With regard to ships, I just strip my old ship and re-equip my new one. Provided I don't change ship class they're pretty much the same (although you get some extra slots in your new ship).

In any case, more dakka is good (unless you're in Borg ground battles, in which case bat'leths and grenades ).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DaedalusMkV View Post
    Commander is OK, but more importantly a major step towards diversifying the three ship classes (also, a choice between the Cheyenne, Akira, and Olympic classes). Also, the earliest rank at which an Excelsior variant is available. (For money)

Captain puts you in charge of one of three of the iconic TNG-era ships. (Galaxy, Defiant, Intrepid)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    In any case, more dakka is good (unless you're in Borg ground battles, in which case bat'leths and grenades ).
    Sniper or Pulsewave Assault rifles, actually. Bat'leths are decent in most applications, but equipping two Sniper rifles lets you stagger your sniper shots for massive single-hit damage, and Pulsewave is a single, high-damage pulse in either operating mode. This gives you the advantage of not necessarily being in melee range of the Borg... which means they won't smash you in the face back, or more importantly, attempt to assimilate you.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    attempt to assimilate you.
    That happened to me, once. When the nanoprobes got to me, the screen got stretched, I had some Borg implants, and surprise! My teammates put me out of my misery. Thankfully, later, I got a Pulmonary Resuscitation.

Anyway, glad to see people are up to a challenge. You can join a fleet at F2P.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Sniper or Pulsewave Assault rifles, actually. Bat'leths are decent in most applications, but equipping two Sniper rifles lets you stagger your sniper shots for massive single-hit damage, and Pulsewave is a single, high-damage pulse in either operating mode. This gives you the advantage of not necessarily being in melee range of the Borg... which means they won't smash you in the face back, or more importantly, attempt to assimilate you.
    I'll give the sniper rifle a try (currently using a Jem'Hadar auto rifle), but I don't like the Pulsewave since you need to get close to use at maximum potential.

Aside from the tutorial, I've spent an extended period of time fighting Borg in an event and not a single assimilation attack happened, so do they only happen at higher difficulty levels or do they not have the attack in the event, but have the intensely annoying adaptation buff instead?

Speaking of which, what are the advantages of playing where you can suffer persistant injuries? Better loot?

11. - Top - End - #11

I'll give the sniper rifle a try (currently using a Jem'Hadar auto rifle), but I don't like the Pulsewave since you need to get close to use at maximum potential.

Aside from the tutorial, I've spent an extended period of time fighting Borg in an event and not a single assimilation attack happened, so do they only happen at higher difficulty levels or do they not have the attack in the event, but have the intensely annoying adaptation buff instead?

Speaking of which, what are the advantages of playing where you can suffer persistant injuries? Better loot?
    I think assimilation happens when you're too close for too long. They still have adaptation, and better loot plus skill points

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Out of curiousity, what's restricted on the F2P version?

I've hit 15/16 Lt Cdr and haven't really seen anything restricted (some ship and equipment/costume choices on microtransaction), or at least nothing that directly impedes my progress.
    Gold players (those who pay) get a free skill respec token at levels 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50.
    While everyone gets a free ship token at 10, 20, 30, and 40 (20, 30, and 40 for the KDF side), gold members get a free ship token at level 50 as well.
    Gold members also get more slots for characters, and more slots for bridge officers. And 400 free C-Store points per month.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Assimilation is a relatively rare short-range attack (more common with the tougher Borg, especially since a melee character sticks close to them longer), but if successful, is absolutely terrible for STFs... suddenly, you're not only down a player (and thus ~1/5 your total DPS), but they're turned against you. The Optional Objective's goody bag is usually pretty stacked, but if you lose a player to Assimilation, you may need to kiss it goodbye.
    Higher difficulties can give you much better loot. They're the only way to get Mk XII items as of now (Normal will only give you Mk XI at best, and usually Mk X), and Elite STFs pay out twice the number of Encrypted Data Chips as Normals, letting you get your MACO XI gear (if you're like me and get passed by on the good stuff) or Very Rare Projectile Weapons Officer (20% chance of 5 seconds off your torpedo recharge) twice as quickly.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jeraa View Post
    Gold players (those who pay) get a free skill respec token at levels 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50.
    While everyone gets a free ship token at 10, 20, 30, and 40 (20, 30, and 40 for the KDF side), gold members get a free ship token at level 50 as well.
    Gold members also get more slots for characters, and more slots for bridge officers. And 400 free C-Store points per month.
    Gold members only get a VA (Level 50) token if they've been subscribed for 600 days, they do not get one otherwise.
    Ask not for whom the wolves howl, they howl for thee.

--- Also known as [GITP] Magentawolf

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Veteran Rewards is the only part of it that I'd be willing to subscribe for (400 C-Points for $15 isn't worth it, and that's really the only other recurring benefit), though it's quite expensive for it... there's the Sovereign-class's Captain's Yacht and a few promised rewards ahead (some of which are currently impossible due to the time required to obtain them), though they're pretty expensive as well.

They also get a ship slot at 200 days.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

So I started a new KDF character since I hit Cdr 24 a while ago... ye gods, Birds of Prey are fun in PVP.

It does highlight significant differences between Federation and KDF players though - KDF players by virtue of having to be at least Cdr 24 know how to play the game, so you see focus fire going down on specific ships, people using their abilities effectively, etc.
    In the last two games I played, I didn't get killed once while picking up 6 and 8 kills myself.

In comparison when I went back to my now Federation Capt 30 into an arena, we got hammered 0-15 by the opposing Klingon force.
    Minimal teamwork, individual ships charging in at full impulse ahead of everybody else (against cloaked ships, are you a [redacted] idiot? )... essentially a huge disorganised mess.

Only thing I'm thankful for is that there's no death penalty in PVP.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In comparison when I went back to my now Federation Capt 30 into an arena, we got hammered 0-15 by the opposing Klingon force.
    Minimal teamwork, individual ships charging in at full impulse ahead of everybody else (against cloaked ships, are you a [redacted] idiot? )... essentially a huge disorganised mess.
    Most of the people who know what they're doing are already VA, or trying to power-level an alt to VA. (However, since the game levels so quickly, there's also a lot of people who still don't know what they're doing at VA)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Most of the people who know what they're doing are already VA, or trying to power-level an alt to VA. (However, since the game levels so quickly, there's also a lot of people who still don't know what they're doing at VA)
    I've had very little fun in PvP since I hit 50... so I'm now leveling an alt solely through a few basic things, and then arenas.
    Ask not for whom the wolves howl, they howl for thee.

--- Also known as [GITP] Magentawolf

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As soon as you hit 50, you hit the entire group of people who've played since the game began. If you want to play with the big boys, you've got to farm equipment. From both PvP and STF... Mk XI and XII purples, especially the MACO, Honor Guard, and Omega kits, [Acc]x3 gear, and AP or Polaron weapons.

20. - Top - End - #20

Kinda forgot to act on this for a while, but hey, I'm interested in joining a fleet with other playgrounders.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Still waiting on PallEndro to come up with some more info about the fleet, but I'm starting to suspect that we're having scheduling issues due to timezones.

22. - Top - End - #22

Done, and yes.
    Ogremindes, great to meet you.

Yeah, so I'm usually available at night, when my mom doesn't suspect anything. 9:00 P.M-1:00 A.M Pacific.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PallElendro View Post
    Yeah, so I'm usually available at night, when my mom doesn't suspect anything. 9:00 P.M-1:00 A.M Pacific.
    I believe you're on PDT right now so I make that... 04:00 to 08:00 GMT.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be on the same time as you.

24. - Top - End - #24

Well, when my mom's not looking...

25. - Top - End - #25

Hi.

I'm intrested, but the game, for me, is currently suffering form crippling lag issues. As in, it's unplayablely laggy. I do anything, because i snap back to where i was every time i try to move. I'm not willing to spend 10 minutes walking arcoss a bloody room. is thier any known way to stop these server side lag issues?
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
    But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

If it's server side, then there's absolutely nothing you can do.

If it's client side and you're having issues connecting to the server, (which in all honesty, sounds like your issue), check your connection.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd be interested in a Playground fleet. A friend got me into STO a couple of weeks ago, and I got hooked. I've also watched more episodes of Star Trek since installing the game than I had in the rest of my life (a whopping 5 episodes! ).

I'm currently running a Tacti-cat in a beam-boat cruiser who's just hit Rear Admiral, Lower Half. I've also got an alien Klink I've been leveling purely via doff assignments, which is slow but kinda satisfying. On the whole though, I don't really know what I'm doing. Have been reading through the STO forums to get some ideas as to what's what, but I'm somewhat new to MMOs in general. Still, only one way to learn.

Oh, and BST timezone (UTC+1) here. Generally play in the late evenings, though I'm on fairly often at other times as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Bringer View Post
    I'm intrested, but the game, for me, is currently suffering form crippling lag issues. As in, it's unplayablely laggy. I do anything, because i snap back to where i was every time i try to move. I'm not willing to spend 10 minutes walking arcoss a bloody room. is thier any known way to stop these server side lag issues?
    I've had similar issues at times, though perhaps not quite as bad. If you're in a public area, try changing to a less populated instance (click the place name above your mini-map). Otherwise, what's worked for me is closing and reloading the game.