New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default old computer games i forgot their name

when i was a kid, i played a game, which was a battle between brown team vs green team. you could choose your side, then you picked a vechile (tank, jeep, heli and missle truck) i loved this game so much,
    but the disc was lost and i forgot the name.

can you help me?

(btw when somone finds it, this thread will be for outer people who as forgotten games names)
    Despite everything, its still me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: old computer games i forgot their name

Sounds like a game from the Army Men series.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I swear I was just thinking about this game yesterday! I had it for the PlayStation.

It's called Return Fire, and it's awesome.
    Last edited by Lyndworm; 2010-08-02 at 03:41 PM.
    Are any of my tables still broken?
    Visit Beautiful Gatazka Today!
    Fluff | Crunch

I'm hardly an expert, but feel free to PM me if you ever need anything; build advice, homebrew advice,
    elaboration of a post I made, elaboration of my homebrew, my Social Security number, or just a friendly ear.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

truly, when searching somthing, it better search here then google
    Despite everything, its still me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    truly, when searching somthing, it better search here then google
    Indeed. For we are numbered amongst the Wise and nothing is beyond our understanding.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MasamuneSSX View Post
    Indeed. For we are numbered amongst the Wise and nothing is beyond our understanding.
    Or the indescribably nerdy.

Having those skilled in googling google for you tends to produce better results.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

I've been trying to find some tank game for the Nintendo 64. You played as a tank, and in multi-player the most powerful weapon was a nuke, which wrecked the environment and made everything a radioactive green color.
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Obrysii View Post
    I've been trying to find some tank game for the Nintendo 64. You played as a tank, and in multi-player the most powerful weapon was a nuke, which wrecked the environment and made everything a radioactive green color.
    Battletanx?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

I got two of 'em.

When I was really little I used to go visit my aunt and uncle, my cousin would sometimes be playing computer games. There were two she played a lot - a shooter game, and an RTS. The year was 1995 or 96, IIRC.

The shooter game I didn't see much of, because it was rated M. I just remember she spent a lot of time running down these dark, curving red hallways. Every now and then there was what looked like a dead body hanging from the ceiling, which she would randomly shoot.

The RTS was interesting. Its not Red Alert, because I've played the originals at friends houses just to check. As I recall, it looked like a World War 2 era game, because I saw a German Stuka buzz her base a few times. I remember there were fields of green grass, which stood out because the map she was on was a desert, which a tanker truck would drive over to get money. I remember she had an Engineer unit running around, and he was armed with a shovel or something and was wearing overalls. She told me she was actually stuck on a mission where you start with only one Engineer guy, and have to take out all the enemy bases from scratch.

Morbid curiousity has irked me for years.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

That second one could be the original Command and Conquer, other than that, I'm not too sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    This forum is now officially the only place where I've seen

"Oh crap, we're getting off topic! I'd better post pictures of scantily clad women!"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

The shooter was almost certainly Doom 2. There wasn't a lot of FPS competition back then. If the walls had been blue, it would have been Castle Wolfenstein (which wasn't child-friendly either, since it taught very effective German swearing).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian View Post
    The shooter was almost certainly Doom 2. There wasn't a lot of FPS competition back then. If the walls had been blue, it would have been Castle Wolfenstein (which wasn't child-friendly either, since it taught very effective German swearing).
    Not a lot of FPSs?

I can name a good four or five more right off the top of my head, assuming 96 rather than 95. Fair deal even ignoring 96 still.

Rise of the Triad, System Shock, Marathon, Duke Nukem, Descent, Hexen...
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2010-08-03 at 09:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Was the RTS isometric, or did it have pixellated graphics with tiny people, like Red Alert? If the latter, then it's most likely Command and Conquer, if the former, then it might have been another RTS that I remember was released around that time, but the name of which escapes me at the moment - and Wikipedia isn't helpful.

The FPS can be anything - 1995, and especially 1996, were years when dozens of small developers released shareware FPS games. We need more detail.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'm afraid that's all I have on the FPS.

The RTS was pretty well-rendered. Like I said, I played some of the older Command and Conquer games at a friend's house a few years ago, and they weren't the same. This game was a lot closer to the action, and the "camera" was slightly angled. Like the old Fallout games, but not that zoomed in...

I was 5 at the time, so I've forgotten most of what I remember. But I specifically remember a few small scenes and details, like a beige prop plane like a German Stuka flying over her base and her telling me it was an enemy plane...

Maybe my memory has just gotten foggy over the years.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Battletanx?
    BattleTanx: Global Assault was what I was looking for. Thank you!
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    The RTS was pretty well-rendered. Like I said, I played some of the older Command and Conquer games at a friend's house a few years ago, and they weren't the same. This game was a lot closer to the action, and the "camera" was slightly angled. Like the old Fallout games, but not that zoomed in...
    Oh yeah. I know what game might that be, but I forgot its name. I remember it was not just a strictly military RTS, but you had to build civilian facilities too.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yeah, that sounds vaugely familiar...

THE GAME IS AFOOT, WATSON!!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Well, while we're swapping stories, I got one I've been wondering about since the mid nineties.

Sprite based FPS. Bright colors. You kill people. And the sprites were bad and blocky.

Figured out the other three mystery games from my childhood no sweat.

But that one, I dunno.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I can name a good four or five more right off the top of my head, assuming 96 rather than 95. Fair deal even ignoring 96 still.

Rise of the Triad, System Shock, Marathon, Duke Nukem, Descent, Hexen...
    I don't know about all those games, but the fact that someone was actually playing it lets out Hexen. *shudder* Seriously, though, did anyone else have curving red hallways?

(I do confess that I had recalled was a longer gap between Doom 2 and Descent.)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    I was 5 at the time, so I've forgotten most of what I remember. But I specifically remember a few small scenes and details, like a beige prop plane like a German Stuka flying over her base and her telling me it was an enemy plane...
    Sounds almost like Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun, but that didn't come out until 1999...so your memory would have to be foggy indeed if that was the one you're thinking of! (You can download it for free from EA games if you want to check it out, they've released it into the public domain).

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian View Post
    I don't know about all those games, but the fact that someone was actually playing it lets out Hexen. *shudder* Seriously, though, did anyone else have curving red hallways?

(I do confess that I had recalled was a longer gap between Doom 2 and Descent.)
    I can see why.

Looking at the mid nineties in FPS games, it's a bit Precambrian explosion.

One minute, Doom.

Next, huge variety of games with all kinds of weird and unique features that lead nowhere, only showing up again, if at all, years later.

Shame that history only seems to remember the winners.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, while we're swapping stories, I got one I've been wondering about since the mid nineties.

Sprite based FPS. Bright colors. You kill people. And the sprites were bad and blocky.

But that one, I dunno.
    sounds familiar.. did most of the walls have a wood texture? Did you eat what looked like turkey and wine to restore health?

I've got one. It's a point and click adventure game, with low end graphics. The goal is to infiltrate an Addams family-esque mansion, iirc. The first thing you had to do was pick up and smash a pumpkin, to get the key to the house.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starfols View Post
    sounds familiar.. did most of the walls have a wood texture? Did you eat what looked like turkey and wine to restore health?
    Maybe. Got a lead?

Only saw it for a few minutes at a friend's house, mind.

And even then I was mainly wanting the player to switch over to Descent. Didn't know it was Descent at the time, but the graphics looked better to me, and I preferred the robot killing as a lad.

And your adventure game, my first thought was the legendary Maniac Mansion.

I then realized that was a stupid thought and I was being dumb. I managed to play the NES version of Maniac Mansion for a minute or two once, and there were no pumpkins in sight. Then I thought a little harder, remembering a bad game cover art thread and a LP I read a while back. The game in question was Hugo's House of Horrors. It wasn't terribly good.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2010-08-04 at 02:17 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

But that one, I dunno.
    It's probably not Wolfenstein, or you'd know. Hmm, Catacomb 3-D then, by any chance?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cespenar View Post
    It's probably not Wolfenstein, or you'd know. Hmm, Catacomb 3-D then, by any chance?
    Nope. Newer than those ones. Came out around the same time as Descent, I think, and the colors were a good deal brighter than either.

Think it was set in a modernish setting, if that's any help.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Shame that history only seems to remember the winners.
    Most of them are well forgotten. Doom managed the 3-D much more cleanly than Wolfenstein did. Then Descent was a whole new kind of incredible. That's the scariest computer game I've ever played. I'd be interested to throw it at one of today's gamers and see if they have the same reaction that we did back then. Someone would come screaming at you and you the player would DODGE THE BLAST BY SHIFTING THE WAY YOU WERE SITTING as if you knew that the shot was about to come through the monitor. That led me to the conclusion that flightsticks should be supplimented with a butt-mouse that monitors the user shifting her weight in the chair. But then the genre kind of flailed around until Quake 2 and Half-Life. *checks* Sheesh, again with the one year gap that I was expecting to be several years.

Beyond those, the only game that I'm sorry nobody remembers (and frankly few people seemed to recognize it at the time) was Dark Forces, the prequel to the Jedi Knight series. The big deal there was that they actually designed the levels to look like the installations you were infiltrating. The mining colony and the science lab and the high-security prison didn't just look like some arbitrary string of rooms with big color-coded keyed doors and implausibly invisible secret doors.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Sounds almost like Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun, but that didn't come out until 1999...so your memory would have to be foggy indeed if that was the one you're thinking of! (You can download it for free from EA games if you want to check it out, they've released it into the public domain).
    I used to love that game, time to get my download on

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

CyClones maybe? Did you use the mouse to target enemies on the screen, not to move?

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Man, I miss the original Syndicate game. That was unbearably awesome and one of the first PC games I played. The very first game computer I played of any sort was on my Amstrad CPC - a platformer called Roland in Time. There was a long series of them but if we want vintage gaming, I heartily recommend the Dizzy series.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starfols View Post
    I've got one. It's a point and click adventure game, with low end graphics. The goal is to infiltrate an Addams family-esque mansion, iirc. The first thing you had to do was pick up and smash a pumpkin, to get the key to the house.
    Ooo, that sounds familiar, too. It's either a silly kiddy one, or a really scary one that was on a video list for "most scary games" or something like that.

I've got one: The whole game is black, and objects are just coloured geometric outlines. You play a tank, and you destroy other tanks. The normal enemy tank is a red flat triangular prism. Some tougher ones are tall, orange triangular prisms. I think I only had a demo or something, cuz it was really short.