New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default A Prince Nuada/Princess Nuala Homebrew Race 3.5 (Need Help)(Not a Homebrew, Yet)

Ok so me and a player were going to play a Dvati pair between us and we might still.

But I was curious if someone could help me come up with a race based on the Royal Twins of the Hellboy 2 movie.

One of their most noticable traits was the link in their physical forms. If one was cut both suffered the injury and bled, though healed quickly. In fact this is how *Spoilers* they defeat Nuada in the end.

They are a race so interconnected that they are affected by one another, they can sense and hear each others thoughts and feelings.

They are also extremely well versed in magic and martial arts as shown when Nuada kicked Hellboy around a bit seemingly without trying (The first time)

So the primary traits would be things like
    They are physically linked (Two Hearts, One Soul basically)
    They have things like Inspiration and Psionic Points separately but Spellslots must be split between them or if one uses up the spellslots the other cannot use them.
    They have a natural bonus to certain attributes like Charisma, Intelligence, and Dex (Either all three or one of the three)
    Upon death they transform into Stone and can be revived the same way as someone who was killed my a Medusa's Gaze (Turned to Stone)

Add anything you like to spice it up if you like.
    Last edited by Hrimhari; 2013-07-20 at 01:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Prince Nuada/Princess Nuala Homebrew Race 3.5 (Need Help)(Not a Homebrew, Yet)

I've always seen the race of prince nuada as a sort of elf, for obvious reason. The character himself, I look Elric of melniboné as a potential inspiration for the character. That aside, I'd place the race as.. on some levels.. a hybrid of dvati and elf (possibly grey elf). Then again, it is never established how common the bond between twins is, or if twins are even a common occurrence...

Here is how I'd approach it. Change as desired of course.

Bethmooran Elf
    • +2 Dexterity, +2 Intellect, -2 Constitution, -2 Strength: Bethmooran elves are quick in mind and body, but they are also fairly brittle.
    • Medium: As medium creatures, bethmooran elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Subtypes: bethmorran elves are humanoids of the elf and earth subtypes.
    • Bethmooran Elf base land speed is 30 feet.
    • Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial bonus against enchantment spells or effects
    • Low-Light Vision
    • +1 Natural armor to AC.
    • Fast Healing 1 [previous mention that their wounds heal quickly]
    • Resistance to Fire 5 [Prince nuada has no problem picking up a metal cylinder from a flame with his bare hand]
    • Return to Stone: When a bethmorran elf dies, their body quickly turns to stone. The bethmorran elf, if their death wouldn't other wise destroy their body, is treated as having been killed by a medusa's gaze. [We know how these elves die]
    • Bethmorran Twin: Some bethmorran elves are born as twins. A bethmorra elf that possesses a twin shares hit points, experience, and class levels with their twin. Any effect that is placed on one of the twins is placed on the other.
    • Weapon Proficiency: ? (same as standard elves perhaps)
    • +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. A bethmorran elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if he were actively looking for it.
    • Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan.
    • Favored Class: ?
    • Level Adjustment: ?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: A Prince Nuada/Princess Nuala Homebrew Race 3.5 (Need Help)(Not a Homebrew, Yet)

This is very nice. I do like how it flows and I might add more to the Twins aspect to make it more flushed out and show off their bond.

I want to thank you so much for the time as well.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hrimhari View Post
    This is very nice. I do like how it flows and I might add more to the Twins aspect to make it more flushed out and show off their bond.

I want to thank you so much for the time as well.
    Not a problem. Im glad you like it.

Edit: It just occurred to me. Bethmooran elves couldn't be raised as most standard undead, and becoming a lich might cause them to turn to stone anyways. Undeath for them might be limited to unique/rare forms and incorporeal undead.
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2013-07-20 at 02:19 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Isn't there a way to be raised if you where turned to stone?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Bethmooran Elf

• +2 Dexterity, +2 Intellect, -2 Constitution, -2 Strength: Bethmooran elves are quick in mind and body, but they are also fairly brittle.
    • Medium: As medium creatures, bethmooran elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Subtypes: bethmorran elves are humanoids of the elf and earth subtypes.
    • Bethmooran Elf base land speed is 30 feet.
    • Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial bonus against enchantment spells or effects
    • Low-Light Vision
    • +1 Natural armor to AC.
    • Fast Healing 1 [previous mention that their wounds heal quickly]
    • Resistance to Fire 5 [Prince nuada has no problem picking up a metal cylinder from a flame with his bare hand]
    • Return to Stone: When a bethmorran elf dies, their body quickly turns to stone. The bethmorran elf, if their death wouldn't other wise destroy their body, is treated as having been killed by a medusa's gaze. [We know how these elves die]
    • Bethmorran Twin: Some bethmorran elves are born as twins. A bethmorra elf that possesses a twin shares experience points, skill points, feats affecting both twins, and levels in classes.
      • Shared Pain/Pleasure: Bethmorran Twins share Hit Points in ways not many others understand. They share both additions and reductions in Hp as if they shared the same HP score. If one where to heal themselves, the other would benefit from the same healing.
      • Team-Work: Bethmorran Twins are synchronized very well with one another due to their long bonds and mental connections. When flanking the same foe Bethmorran Twins gain a +3 to attack rather then a +2, If Bethmorran Twins attempt to aid one another on a difficult skill they receive an additional +2 making their total bonus a +4 to competence check.
      • Mental Bond: Bethmorran Twins are linked to each other mentally, possessing telepathy with one another that suffers nothing from distance or even differences in planes. Bethmorran Elves who possess this bond can share their sensory information, but both sides must be in agreement for this to work.
      • Mental Linkage: A Bethmorran twin who is affected by a mind altering spell or power links this power to their sibling causing both to be effected. However, both also get a saving throw against such an effect.
    • Weapon Proficiency: Bethmorran Elves have proficiency in Light Armor, all Elven Armors, Simple and Martial Weapons. All Elven weapons are treated as Martial Weapons.
    • +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. A bethmorran elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if he were actively looking for it.
    • Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan.
    • Favored Class: Any
    • Level Adjustment: +0 (Without Natural Armor, -2/4 Str, -2/0 Con)
      +1 with Natural Armor 1 and Fast Healing 1
      +2 with Natural Armor 1, +2 Dex and +2 Intel Only

What do you think of the slightly redone version?
    Last edited by Hrimhari; 2013-07-20 at 08:14 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it looks good. Weapon proficiencies, if any, need established. Same as favored class and level adjustment (if any)
    Extended Signature

Guide to becoming a demon in Pathfinder

Special thanks to Gurgleflep for creating my Avatar

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

There I edited the post to add in Weapons, The Any Class because I couldn't think of one class the elves would specialize in. And also LA advice.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Not a bad race at all. There really is no reason that a basmooran elf couldn't be raised or resurrected. You might have to first cast stone to flesh first, however. The only thing I see that's wrong: +2 Intelligence not +2 Intellect.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread