New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Chat Thread

I think he means the different things that some races can get in place of others. I'll send you a link to the Halfling page on one of the wikis so you can see what I mean

Spoiler
    Show
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/halfling

If you scroll down you can see the Alternate Racial Traits.
    "I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it" - Edgar Allen Poe

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Correct, due to the nature of warp wolves I thought of adding extra options.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I've added a few things, including the Necro-arrow, an idea I had that my some of my friends also came up with since it was something that the class had to have.

I'm going to set the levels for most of the skills later, for now I'm just making the abilities.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

Heh, looks like there's now a 3.5 contest similar to our own. Glad to see the idea catch on.

Anyways, I'll probably try to get the trophies done tomorrow and sent soon after that.

Now, if you guys know anyone who would be interested in taking part, can you steer them towards this contest? We've been lucky enough thus far to eke out the minimum 3 entries to get some competition going, but the voting has been lackluster for the last two contests and we haven't really matched the entries from the first contest.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

So far, I'm the only one in the group who has even used a homebrew class or race, though all campaigns are made by the GM at the time. My brother might try the Necro-Ranger as a playtest when it's finished though.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for the Necro-Ranger, I'd like to hear them, and any thoughts they have on it.

I also need a name selected from the following list to use for my entry
    1. Necro-Ranger (NR)
    2. Hunter of Life and Death (HLD)
    3. Ranger of Life and Death (RLD)
    4. Ranger of Nature and Death (RND)

6. - Top - End - #276
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post
    Now, if you guys know anyone who would be interested in taking part, can you steer them towards this contest? We've been lucky enough thus far to eke out the minimum 3 entries to get some competition going, but the voting has been lackluster for the last two contests and we haven't really matched the entries from the first contest.
    Are you talking about that MUHA competition?
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Are you talking about that MUHA competition?
    Yes, but you quoted the wrong bit. xD

8. - Top - End - #278

Yes, but you quoted the wrong bit. xD
    I'm a judge in that competition. I'll try and get the Grab Bag a bit more attention so we get a good amount of people voting.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    I'm a judge in that competition. I'll try and get the Grab Bag a bit more attention so we get a good amount of people voting.
    I'd really appreciate that. We do manage to eke out enough people each month as entrants but it seems like only you and Golden actually do vote in each month's voting thread. ^^;

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, let's give a go on a rundown for the Warp Wolves!

Physical Description
    • This is just one run on sentence. I suggest breaking it up.

Society
    • You designated "Warp Wolves" as two words so you need a space there.
    • I think you mean "nature's" not "natures".
    • Something like "in an attempt" sounds better than just "in attempt".
    • The first sentence is a run on; I suggest breaking it up.
    • The Second sentence is a run on as well.

Relations
    • I think you meant "an ally" not "a ally".
    • You need to fix your spacing at the end of the second sentence.
    • "Warp Wolves" is a proper noun so it should either be completely capitalized or be completely in lower case, not one word being the former and one the latter. Also, you jump between how you approach this practically every time you write the race's name.
    • The last sentence has no end punctuation.

Alignment and Relations
    • You don't have a space between this section and the one before it.
    • I think you meant "Those" not "hose".

Racial Traits
    • I think you meant "+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, -2 Cha" instead of "+2 Str -2Chr -2Int +2 Con".
    • I think you meant "Speed" not "Speeds".
    • You forgot a space between day and with in Primal Warp.
    • I think you meant "Sylvan" not "Slyvan".

And that's all the grammar stuff.

• Are these guys at all based on nWoD Lycans or the Warhammer tabletop game? Because that's the vibe I get.
    • Your names are really all over the place and though several of them are based on Norse mythology, nothing about the Warp Wolves really is Norse.
    • Creatures with Psi-like abilities use their total HD as their manifester level, so I'd word the abilities as such. You don't need caveats about whether or not they have levels in a Manifesting class.
    • Why do they speak Aklo naturally? And do they have enough of a tie to the natural world and Fey to really have Sylvan as a base language? And what about their bonus languages?
    • Thicken Hide is an incomplete feat. It doesn't mention how often you can use the Psi-like ability and similar feats (from 3.5 at least) would grant more than a single power/spell or add some other bonus as well. As is, I wouldn't take that feat.
    • Overall, a lot of your race is either vague or just not filled out completely. I find that very off putting honestly and not to be rude or speak in haste, but it will affect your chances when the time to vote comes around.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I did at least some of the class info, along with the Multi-Shot ability, in about 30 minutes, at 2 in the morning.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

As a participant in this contest alerted me a while back of its existence, I thought I'd ask Troll Bräu and the participants of the contests what they would think of me including Pathfinder classes in the Homebrew Tier Compendium, and if they would like to see their classes evaluated by it, mayhaps?

Heh, looks like there's now a 3.5 contest similar to our own. Glad to see the idea catch on.
    Curiously enough, the idea came up seperate from this, though I did point this contest out to Welknair. MUHA is also largely meant for things other than classes or creatures, though.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

13. - Top - End - #283

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    As a participant in this contest alerted me a while back of its existence, I thought I'd ask Troll Bräu and the participants of the contests what they would think of me including Pathfinder classes in the Homebrew Tier Compendium, and if they would like to see their classes evaluated by it, mayhaps?
    I'd like my previous entries Tiered, it would help me understand what I view as a balanced better.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I wouldn't mind being having my class Tiered, go ahead.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, got the trophies sent out.

And why didn't you guys tell me that I messed up the previous ones.

16. - Top - End - #286

EvilClericGuy

Alright, let's give a go on a rundown for the Warp Wolves!

• Are these guys at all based on nWoD Lycans or the Warhammer tabletop game? Because that's the vibe I get.
    • Your names are really all over the place and though several of them are based on Norse mythology, nothing about the Warp Wolves really is Norse.
    • Creatures with Psi-like abilities use their total HD as their manifester level, so I'd word the abilities as such. You don't need caveats about whether or not they have levels in a Manifesting class.
    • Why do they speak Aklo naturally? And do they have enough of a tie to the natural world and Fey to really have Sylvan as a base language? And what about their bonus languages?
    • Thicken Hide is an incomplete feat. It doesn't mention how often you can use the Psi-like ability and similar feats (from 3.5 at least) would grant more than a single power/spell or add some other bonus as well. As is, I wouldn't take that feat.
    • Overall, a lot of your race is either vague or just not filled out completely. I find that very off putting honestly and not to be rude or speak in haste, but it will affect your chances when the time to vote comes around.
    To begin with I'll say thanks for the run down and no offense taken, I usually post and update when I'm home from work, etc. so I'll try fixing those few issues. The names as you noted are all over the place, I originally placed them there as place holders till better names could be thought of and I just caught the error with the feat a minute ago and I am working on it now. As for you're comment on the sylvan and aklo language its due to their nature as the manifestation of natures wrath, they view those who speak sylvan as kin to the spirits or fey and aklo for the entities of the void or their followers. They're in truth inspired by a mix of the chaos faction from warhammer and the Circle Ouroboros faction from Hordes that does possess a Warp Wolf as a war beast, the mutagenic nature of the Warp Wolves is what I've tried to capture but in a playable race and the alternate racial traits and feats are what I thought could possibly make the race seem more meaty. I'm also debating making Warp Wolves illiterate to account for their primal nature and to make it less easy to create spell books and to invoke the 'unnatural' magics of wizardy.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    I support the inclusion of Pathfinder classes in the compendium because Pathfinder isn't all that different from 3.5 in the long run. They're both d20 systems with similar design goals, it's just one was abandoned by it's creators while the other thrives and grows.

I'd ask my homebrew be excluded for the time being, if only because the vast majority of it is really unfinished.

Curiously enough, the idea came up seperate from this, though I did point this contest out to Welknair. MUHA is also largely meant for things other than classes or creatures, though.
    See, originally PGBC was going to have a set up like MUHA, but after time and discussion with some folks that I considered more seasoned homebrewers, the decision came that including spells or feats or such wouldn't be fair to place alongside classes and monsters. If MUHA shows this to be false then I'll reconsider, but that was the general idea at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Warpwolf16 View Post
    To begin with I'll say thanks for the run down and no offense taken, I usually post and update when I'm home from work, etc. so I'll try fixing those few issues.
    Good to hear.

The names as you noted are all over the place, I originally placed them there as place holders till better names could be thought of and I just caught the error with the feat a minute ago and I am working on it now.
    Okey Dokey.

As for you're comment on the sylvan and aklo language its due to their nature as the manifestation of natures wrath, they view those who speak sylvan as kin to the spirits or fey and aklo for the entities of the void or their followers.
    Then can I suggest making it Sylvan or Aklo since there is a racial split on ideology?

They're in truth inspired by a mix of the chaos faction from warhammer and the Circle Ouroboros faction from Hordes that does possess a Warp Wolf as a war beast, the mutagenic nature of the Warp Wolves is what I've tried to capture but in a playable race and the alternate racial traits and feats are what I thought could possibly make the race seem more meaty.
    Well, that'll be certainly interesting to see. Personally I'd drop Powerful Build in favor of going more in that angle.

I'm also debating making Warp Wolves illiterate to account for their primal nature and to make it less easy to create spell books and to invoke the 'unnatural' magics of wizardy.
    Race wide illiteracy is kind of a bad concept idea unless they are extremely primitive, like Neanderthals.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

There's 12 days left in the competition and only one complete entry so far. Anxiety attack onset imminent. @.@

Ok, not really, but that does worry me a bit.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, curious. I just found this competition about 45 minutes ago, but I'll see if I can crank out a monster sharing my name here in a few minutes.

Getting too distracted, I'll post a bare bones version of my monster here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Waker
    A diaphanous humanoid drifts towards you with a look of pure joy on its face.
    Waker CR-
    CN Medium Fey
    Init +3 Senses Low-Light Vision; Perception +4

Defense
    AC
    HP 63 (7d6+42)
    Fort +2, Refl +5, Will +5
    Immune Sleep effects

Offense
    Speed 30ft, Fly 30ft (Perfect)
    Melee +3

Statistics
    Str 8, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 22
    Base Attk +3, CMB, CMD
    Feats
    Skills: Acrobatics 8, Bluff 13, Diplomacy 13, Escape Artist 9, Fly 20, Knowledge (Geography) 4, Knowledge (Local) 4, Knowledge (Nature) 4, Knowledge (Planes) 2, Perception 4, Sense Motive 7, Sleight of Hand 8, Spellcraft 5, Stealth 8 (12)
    Languages: Telepathy 100ft
    Special Abilities
    Semi-Corporeal: While not truly incorporeal, Wakers do exhibit some of the traits. They ignore the effects of gravity and have a fly speed of 60ft with Perfect Maneuverability. As a full-round action they may concentrate and pass through solid matter, though force effects still stop them. Lastly, they gain a +4 to Stealth checks to avoid making noise.
    Dream Stuff: Being formed of dreams and nightmares, Wakers use their Charisma in place of their Constitution when determinging HP.
    Sorcerer Casting: Wakers cast spells as 7th level sorcerers.
    Ecology
    Environment: any urban
    Organization: solitary
    Treasure: standard
    Wakers are a type of fey who hail from the Plane of Dreams, who stumble across the Material Plane when a mortal dies in their sleep.
    Last edited by Waker; 2012-06-18 at 01:30 PM.
    If you feel like quoting something that I have said, you have my permission to use it. Unless it makes me look stupid.
    Gaming Laws, Fallacies And More
    My Homebrew
    Feel free to browse and comment on any of my Homebrew. I enjoy feedback.
    Love my Avatar? Well, why not check out the comic that it came from?

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyone want to say something about what Waker posted?

I'd love to, but I can only give rundowns on completed pieces that are in the contest thread. ^^;

21. - Top - End - #291

EvilClericGuy

@Waker: So that's what I see when I wake up from my sleep apnea? I just thought I was delusional!

Regardless of my joke, it seems pretty cool for a fey and makes sense since fey in some cultures feed of dreams and emotions, etc. I suck at breaking down monsters so I'll let TB do that when you post in the main thread.

22. - Top - End - #292

BlueKnightGuy

Hello. I just saw this thread today and decided to try adding my own entry. Thus I have come up with the 3 level prestige class "The Khan." It is a high level prestige class (minimum level 15 with 5 feat requirements) which demoralizes enemies and allows you to dominate people. In addition, he can make any group of people into a powerful mounted fighting force.

If anyone wants to give a critique then go ahead.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

@Morph Bark:
    I've already asked you to check out the Olympian, so I'd definitely be up for you evaluating my stuff =)

@Troll Bräu:
    I didn't vote in the 3rd contest because... voting in a contest I'm participating in just seems weird. I started thinking up a Midwokan race for the current contest, but I'm vacationing right now and probably won't be able to get it in on time. I guess I'll at least be voting if I don't make it...

24. - Top - End - #294
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'm going to start working on the spells the Necro-Ranger can learn and the amount they are able to learn each level soon. If you have any suggestions for the spells, tell me. The amount of spells will probably be based off of the Powers per day for the Wilder from Psionics Unleashed.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masterstalker2 View Post
    I'm going to start working on the spells the Necro-Ranger can learn and the amount they are able to learn each level soon. If you have any suggestions for the spells, tell me. The amount of spells will probably be based off of the Powers per day for the Wilder from Psionics Unleashed.
    I'd just pick up the pace a wee bit, since we're in the last week of the contest.

I'll be doing run-downs and such tomorrow.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

And since we're in the last week of this month's contest, here is the sneak peak at next month's!

Semper Fi! Do or Die!

27. - Top - End - #297

EvilClericGuy

What does that mean!? XD

28. - Top - End - #298

BlueKnightGuy

The USA Marine Corps motto? My guess is that it will be water based.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'd just pick up the pace a wee bit, since we're in the last week of the contest.

I'll be doing run-downs and such tomorrow.
    Sorry, at times I will slack off, but I'm used to it so I can get a lot done in a day.

30. - Top - End - #300

And since we're in the last week of this month's contest, here is the sneak peak at next month's!

Semper Fi! Do or Die!
    Sounds like we have to be making a good martial class.
    Show