New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Midwoka View Post
    I'm here =D

I've been working on an entry for this month, but I just came down with a fever yesterday so I'm not sure if I'll finish it in time. I probably will, though =)

As for the voting system, that new one sounds fine. What we really need is more voters!

Oh noes! D:

Well, you feel better, okies?

2. - Top - End - #422
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

I'm hopefully going to finish today. I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks on the 31st.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Finished. Feel free to comment.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright.

Turns out I have a college assignment due on Friday that I was completely unaware of before now and may require all my time scrambling between now and then to complete.

So, to that end, it looks like I will be extending the contest until September 7th.

I apologize that the last few contests have required this to be done because of my hectic schedule near the end of the month.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Orc in the Playground

Saw the thread for the latest contest and looked it over. Was wondering is there somewhere on the web I can find rules about these Racial Archetypes? Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #426
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    Saw the thread for the latest contest and looked it over. Was wondering is there somewhere on the web I can find rules about these Racial Archetypes? Thanks!
    You can go here for a description of archetypes: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/class-archetypes

And this page has links to various sample archetypes for the core classes: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes

EDIT: I'm particularly proud of my race's archetype. And I'm glad the contest is extended, so I won't need to rush my entry out =)
    Last edited by Midwoka; 2012-08-29 at 07:16 PM.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Thanks Troll Brau, you're great! I am about done with my submission, just need to finish items and a few other notes.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Halfling in the Playground

Thanks Troll Brau! I was about to half-ass it with the remainder of my submission and just go with the bare minimum to ensure I qualified. Now I might actually be able to finish off 11 feats, 5 magic items, 5 spells and the 3-4 archetypes the major races got...

Maybe...

Inshallah...
    There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
    There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    First Realms of Chaos shows up to enter last month and now we have The Witch-King looking to throw in his hat? I may just swoon!

Midwoka linked you to the examples from the PSRD, but just to sum it up:

Archetypes are essentially for Pathfinder what ACFs and Racial Substitution levels were for DnD 3.X edition. They also look like they're gearing to be the long term replacement for Prestige classes as well, since Paizo's design mindset is wanting to stray away from the kind of "necessary multiclassing" mindset 3.5 kind of had (Yes, I know one of the new books had a slew of PrCs, but they were mostly updates of errant material Paizo had previously made that they were updating and bringing under the Pathfinder umbrella proper).

@Everyone else: You're welcome, kind of. I extended the contest mostly because I can't fulfill my normal duty of giving rundowns on entries (which you all are free to do and give to one another if you choose to. More voices means more perspectives and opinions and the discussions on entries do keep us near the top of the page) and I may have done it regardless of that because of the lack of complete entries by the deadline, but you can't rely on me extending the contest every month.

I don't mean to sound mean, but you do need to try and have something finished by the posted end date of the contest. Your final submission may not be as polished or finished as you like, but that's what posting it after the judging/voting has ended is for.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-08-29 at 09:49 PM.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Midwoka View Post
    You can go here for a description of archetypes: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/class-archetypes

And this page has links to various sample archetypes for the core classes: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes

EDIT: I'm particularly proud of my race's archetype. And I'm glad the contest is extended, so I won't need to rush my entry out =)
    Thanks Midwoka!

11. - Top - End - #431
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post

@Everyone else: You're welcome, kind of. I extended the contest mostly because I can't fulfill my normal duty of giving rundowns on entries (which you all are free to do and give to one another if you choose to.
    If you don't mind, I'd really appreciate a rundown before I go on holiday tomorrow. I would have created more racial archetypes for the rhox (I had a nice idea for the cavalier - where you are the mount), but I don't really have the time now.
    Last edited by DawnbringerSO; 2012-08-30 at 08:11 AM.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DawnbringerSO View Post
    If you don't mind, I'd really appreciate a rundown before I go on holiday tomorrow. I would have created more racial archetypes for the rhox (I had a nice idea for the cavalier - where you are the mount), but I don't really have the time now.
    I'll try my best to bang one out, but my college work comes first, sorry. I finished what was due on the 31st, but I have a few things due on the 1st and 2nd and I need to check if I need to rush on them today.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ettin in the Playground

Time for a run-down for the Rhox!

Fluff
    • I would suggest rewriting this section to make it flow more effectively. Grammatically it's fine as far as I can see, it's just some of the sentences are terse and would benefit being combined with adjacent sentences.

Physical Description
    • "Their feet sport three toes with big, thick nails and their heads support a large, sharp, and lethal, horn, as well as a much shorter horn above it situated in the centre of, and just above, their nostrils" just reads weird to me. I don't know if it's all the commas, but the pacing and placement of the information just looks wrong for some reason.

Society
    • As I mentioned in fluff, I'd try to rewrite this section to flow more effectively. Also, is Rhox meant to be a proper noun (and thus capitalized) or not? I ask because you've begun to switch between capitalization and not for the race's name.

Relations
    • You forgot the apostrophe in "realm's".

Alternate Racial traits
    • You misspelled "maneuver" under the Gatecrasher trait.

Favored Class options
    • You forgot the apostrophe in "paladin's".

Racial Archetypes
    • You misspelled "maneuver" under the Break and Forceful class features for the Gatecrasher archetype.

That's it for the grammar bits from what I saw.

• My first question is, why do other races accept these guys as basically being World Police? The Jhudoon from Doctor Who come to mind, but they're only tolerated as agents of the Shadow Proclamation and aren't really well liked.
    • Why do they naturally take to adventuring? Their cultural ideology leans towards being militant and lawful, so you would think that adventurers would be the equivalent of AWOL soldiers or dishonorable discharges.
    • For some reason, these guy's racial traits seem a little weak to me. I may be underestimating how good Powerful Charge is and overestimating how penalizing Herbivore could be though.
    • Mount seems a little weird as an alternate choice since they aren't friendly with any Small size category races. Why did you choose to make this one?
    • You worded the Alchemist Favored Class option kind of strange. You write out exactly how it works but then use the more common "gain 1/3 of X" for the others.
    • Like I told Deviston, you don't need to include the dead levels in the table. I just wrote out all 20 levels for completeness' sake.
    • Rhino Hide is a little odd as a feat. Once it grants the +1 Natural Armor, why is the special bit of it necessary when you can just take the Improved Natural Armor feat?

And there's the run-down you requested. It may not have been as thorough as my usual run-downs, but we're both pressed for time.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Time for a run-down for the Rhox!

Fluff
    • I would suggest rewriting this section to make it flow more effectively. Grammatically it's fine as far as I can see, it's just some of the sentences are terse and would benefit being combined with adjacent sentences.
    Rewritten a bit.

Physical Description
    • "Their feet sport three toes with big, thick nails and their heads support a large, sharp, and lethal, horn, as well as a much shorter horn above it situated in the centre of, and just above, their nostrils" just reads weird to me. I don't know if it's all the commas, but the pacing and placement of the information just looks wrong for some reason.
    Rerwitten

Society
    • As I mentioned in fluff, I'd try to rewrite this section to flow more effectively. Also, is Rhox meant to be a proper noun (and thus capitalized) or not? I ask because you've begun to switch between capitalization and not for the race's name.
    Rewritten a bit. And fixed the capitals

Relations
    • You forgot the apostrophe in "realm's".
    Fixed.

Alternate Racial traits
    • You misspelled "maneuver" under the Gatecrasher trait.
    No I didn't. I'm from the UK and I'm using the UK spelling.

Favored Class options
    • You forgot the apostrophe in "paladin's".
    Fixed.

Racial Archetypes
    • You misspelled "maneuver" under the Break and Forceful class features for the Gatecrasher archetype.
    No I didn't. I'm from the UK and am using the UK spelling.

• My first question is, why do other races accept these guys as basically being World Police? The Jhudoon from Doctor Who come to mind, but they're only tolerated as agents of the Shadow Proclamation and aren't really well liked.
    • The Rhox are very focused on their jobs, and are highly bribe resistant, and are hired by others to work in security. And changed it to "some" members of other races. This has been reflected into it now.

• Why do they naturally take to adventuring? Their cultural ideology leans towards being militant and lawful, so you would think that adventurers would be the equivalent of AWOL soldiers or dishonorable discharges.
    They view adventuring as a sort of training. And good catch, I've added AWOL soldiers and dishonourable (not an incorrect spelling) discharges.

15. For some reason, these guy's racial traits seem a little weak to me. I may be underestimating how good Powerful Charge is and overestimating how penalizing Herbivore could be though.
The Rhox use 13 points on the RP scale, and come in 1 point under Drow. That's before herbivore, and I don't know how many points herbivore would take off, probably 1 point, which is why I added survival as a class skill. So overall, they are probably 12.5 RP.

Scent takes up 4 of that RP.

Powerful charge is quite a good racial (and being only 2 RP at that). Even commoners, wizards and sorcerers can be lethal with it. A level 1 commoner hitting with a charge attack deals 2d6 damage and double its strength bonus (if any). That can one hit another level 1 character if he's lucky.

• Mount seems a little weird as an alternate choice since they aren't friendly with any Small size category races. Why did you choose to make this one?
  • I've added that dwarves can also ride them.

• You worded the Alchemist Favored Class option kind of strange. You write out exactly how it works but then use the more common "gain 1/3 of X" for the others.
  • Fixed.

• Like I told Deviston, you don't need to include the dead levels in the table. I just wrote out all 20 levels for completeness' sake.
  • Fixed.

• Rhino Hide is a little odd as a feat. Once it grants the +1 Natural Armor, why is the special bit of it necessary when you can just take the Improved Natural Armor feat?
  • Fixed.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

• - Top - End - #435
    Orc in the Playground

[list][*]My first question is, why do other races accept these guys as basically being World Police? The Jhudoon from Doctor Who come to mind, but they're only tolerated as agents of the Shadow Proclamation and aren't really well liked.
    "Scopo trono frojo kofo todo!"

When I saw the race, Judoon was the first thing I thought of lmao!
    Last edited by Deviston; 2012-08-31 at 08:06 AM.

• - Top - End - #436

Quote Originally Posted by Deviston View Post
    "Scopo trono frojo kofo todo!"

When I saw the race, Judoon was the first thing I thought of lmao!
    Good to see I wasn't the only one
    There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

• - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

The new contest is up everyone.

• - Top - End - #438
    Firbolg in the Playground

Being born in 1996, nearly all my favourite shows from when I was a kid fit the criteria.

The main problem is deciding which show....
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

• - Top - End - #439

My post grew too big, so I move my archeypes (one completed, two being worked on) down into a new post, I hope nobody minds.

Also, I believe at the moment, I've done everything I need to qualify for the contest, so anyone wants to have a gander at the kithkin, go ahead.

I still want to finish off two more archetypes and then one or two more magic items, but those are bonus

EDIT: OKAY! So, actually, by careful editing and trimming down some archetypes and the description, I can actually come in under the character limit. HUZZAH FOR ME!

Anyhow, since I can't fit in the lightning riffle or the mageknight or the power crystals or the other items of interest without going overboard, well... I believe I'm now done here!
    Last edited by TARDIS; 2012-09-01 at 05:20 AM.

• - Top - End - #440

Okay, my next entry is based off power armour in Roughnecks, which came out in 1999.
    So it JUST fits.

If I remember correctly the quote is the first line in the show. And the second line. And the third line.

EDIT: Also I finished my entry earlier for "Day in the Life" today.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-09-01 at 07:41 AM.
    Show

• - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I'm going crabbing in a few hours with my father and then I need to get ahold of one of my teachers because of a server error with a quiz he's giving (which is due by Monday), so I'll take a gander at your guys entries for VI when I get a chance.

@Milo: Yup, the Starship Troopers CGI show did air in the later part of 1999, so you're good. And man do I miss the 90s (was born 1990); all the best television was from that decade (into the early 2000s).

And yes, as far as I remember, that was the catchphrase.

• - Top - End - #442

EvilClericGuy

I really need to resist the urge to make a transformer class owo...

• - Top - End - #443

Quote Originally Posted by Warpwolf16 View Post
    Its easy for me to resist that.
    As I'm making an entire System based on Transformers as a side project.
    Show

• - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Warpwolf16 View Post
    Keep in mind that only Beast Wars and Beast Machines aired during that decade. The show that aired from 1992 to 1994, Transformers: Generation 2, was actually just a re-hash of the 80s series with updated title card, screen transitions and the heavy abridging of several episodes and events.

• - Top - End - #445

Aargh... I a bit too old for this. I only remember watching Transformers Generation 2 and the early Power Rangers Saturday morning... and re-runs of Dungeons and Dragons, the Adam's family, etc etc.

I much preferred the evening dose of Stargate SG-1, Babylon 5, Star Trek: TNG and Star Trek: DS9.

Because I'm old, apparently
    Last edited by TARDIS; 2012-09-01 at 02:18 PM.

• - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TARDIS View Post
    Aargh... I a bit too old for this. I only remember watching Transformers Generation 2 and the early Power Rangers Saturday morning... and re-runs of Dungeons and Dragons, the Adam's family, etc etc.

I much preferred the evening dose of Stargate SG-1, Babylon 5, Star Trek: TNG and Star Trek: DS9.

Because I'm old, apparently

I hate to tell you that only the Addams Family fits the criteria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...evision_series

There's a starter list for you though.

• - Top - End - #447
    Pixie in the Playground

I found a series called nightmare ned.Kid that travel through nightmares solving problems. By the way i've spend a couple day looking through all the pathfinder stuff that has been homebrewed through this pathfinder grab bag competition and i have to say it's all really good. I do have an upcoming book that brings maneuvers into the world of pathfinder, i would love to have some input from some dedicated homebrewer. Sorry that kinda went of topic.

But yes dream warden uses dream abilities to find info and nightmares to hinder foes.
    Slet " Always the opportunist, Devlin."
    Devlin " As long as there are still opportunity."

Homebrew Signature

• - Top - End - #448

EvilClericGuy

Keep in mind that only Beast Wars and Beast Machines aired during that decade. The show that aired from 1992 to 1994, Transformers: Generation 2, was actually just a re-hash of the 80s series with updated title card, screen transitions and the heavy abridging of several episodes and events.
    I know Troll Brau, I'm a big transformers nerd! Though I would have to think what to do, make a vehicon, beastmorph, or 'other' mode as the basis. I have so many ideas but no way to use them with out going OP!

Also screw the 'G2' cartoon, as you said it was a rehash of the original G1 cartoon which I've got the whole set of now as of today! (Yay! I finally got the final season and two Japan only series!) I've seen a lot of hate to BW, BW2, BW Neo, and BM because its fans are use to robots to vehicles. I loved them BW shows, still trying to find BW2, BWNeo, and the one movie like thing from japan for my collection.

• - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

Time for a run-down on the Kylanth!

Physical Description
    • You forgot the apostrophe in "spider's".

Society
    • I think you meant "which the strongest" not "with the strongest".

Racial Equipment
    • I think you meant "were created" not "where created".

Alright, that's all the grammar stuff I saw.

• Why do Devils want these guys to come out of hiding? I know it's probably a setting thing, but I'm curious since the non-interference thing you explained.
    • First thing I want to say and what kind of irked me about your race is....you do know that Spiders are Arachnids, not Insects, right?
    • These guys are also pretty weak as a race. Their flaws far outweigh the positive racial traits they receive.
    • You worded the Favored Class options a little weird. It's usually something like "+1/5 feet to base speed".
    • The Echoes of the Web feat should have Sense of the Web as one of it's prerequisites. Also, it's usually worded as "X ranks in Y skill" when writing out a skill prereq.
    • I really like the Primordial Converter. It's really neat as an item.

• - Top - End - #450

Alright, that's all the grammar stuff I saw.
    Fixed.

• Why do Devils want these guys to come out of hiding? I know it's probably a setting thing, but I'm curious since the non-interference thing you explained.
    • Different Outsiders have different reasons:
      Angels dislike not having to keep their mouths quiet about the Kylanth with the priests.
      Devil's are forced to limit themselves when discussing Kylanth ruins with mortals who wish to know more, reducing the amount of potential "services"
      Demons believe that they are harder to find, and thus harder to cut into tiny pieces.
      Elementals loathe the idea of the Kylanth manipulating their existance, but cannot gain revenge.

• First thing I want to say and what kind of irked me about your race is....you do know that Spiders are Arachnids, not Insects, right?
    I know. But insectiod subtype is used in several of my races (Such as the Kephra and Ranx), as is the Insect Anatomy. And they are Prerequistes for some Feats I have planned. Thus it is simpler to give them the same Subtype and grant them the Insect Anatomy trait.

• These guys are also pretty weak as a race. Their flaws far outweigh the positive racial traits they receive. I was recently told that all my races were amazingly overpowered, so I made sure to hold back. To fix its underpoweredness, I've added in details about the Multi-Armed.

• You worded the Favored Class options a little weird. It's usually something like "+1/5 feet to base speed". That came from the Elf Monk Favoured Class option. I used Pazio's wording.

• The Echoes of the Web feat should have Sense of the Web as one of it's prerequisites. Also, it's usually worded as "X ranks in Y skill" when writing out a skill prereq. Fixed.

• I really like the Primordial Converter. It's really neat as an item.
  • Thanks.
    Show
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast