New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Chat Thread

About to do a run-down and something bugged me:

Did someone delete their entry? Because I remember there being two when I first looked at Kane's.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ettin in the Playground

Time for a rundown on the Fearmonger!

Fear Immunity
    • I think you meant, "The Fearmonger becomes immune to Fear effects".

Intense Fear
    • I think you meant, "Creatures that are outside the range of" not "If the creature is outside the range of".

Paralyzing Fear
    • I think you meant "choose to substitute", not "choose substitute".

That's it for the grammar bits, except that I suggest re-reading over the entry and polishing it up some more, since I saw several places that could use commas.

• So, this class is meant for an entry at level 10? And who is meant to normally enter it? Because as it is, I don't see a Wizard or Sorceror giving up 10 levels of spellcasting for what the class grants. And very few melee classes would choose it, but I could definitely see using it on a Dragon.
    • What is "Proficiencies: Fear"?
    • What is the "Optionally" bit?
    • Why does the class have a BAB requirement and than gives a medium progression?
    • Why isn't a Fearmonger immune to his own Fear Aura initially? That makes it kind of a pain to use.
    • What exactly does Transfer Fear do other than remove fear debuffs from your allies?
    • Fear the Fearless should probably mention more in-depth what it exactly effects.
    • I personally like Paralyzing and Mind-Killing Fear. They give you interesting things to do with Fear in general.
    • The opinion I have on this class is similar to what I had for the Paranormal Seeker back in the second competition. It doesn't really Wow me or stand out, but it has really good utility use for what it represents and for that reason I could definitely see it being used.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-10-14 at 11:23 AM.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post
    About to do a run-down and something bugged me:

Did someone delete their entry? Because I remember there being two when I first looked at Kane's.
    I had a class in called The Living Hive, but my RL friends convinced me that it didn't really fit the theme. So I removed it until I can get a new idea.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    I had a class in called The Living Hive, but my RL friends convinced me that it didn't really fit the theme. So I removed it until I can get a new idea.
    Ah, knew I wasn't going crazy. xD

But how does Apiphobia or Entomophobia not fit the theme? o.o

5. - Top - End - #545

Ah, knew I wasn't going crazy. xD

But how does Apiphobia or Entomophobia not fit the theme? o.o
    Because it wasn't really fear related, more insect related.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ettin in the Playground

Because it wasn't really fear related, more insect related.
    But Entomophobia is a fear of insects.

7. - Top - End - #547

But Entomophobia is a fear of insects.
    That's what I said.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ettin in the Playground

That's what I said.
    Well, I'm telling you (as the guy who runs the contest and picked the theme in the first place) that your original idea was fine.

9. - Top - End - #549

Well, I'm telling you (as the guy who runs the contest and picked the theme in the first place) that your original idea was fine.
    I realise that, and I would have reposted it already but I'm at school so I have to wait till I get home.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #550

Okay I've added it back, but it needs alot more work since I didn't continue it once I removed it.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Time for a rundown on the Fearmonger!
    That's it for the grammar bits, except that I suggest re-reading over the entry and polishing it up some more, since I saw several places that could use commas.

• [1]So, this class is meant for an entry at level 10? And who is meant to normally enter it? Because as it is, I don't see a Wizard or Sorceror giving up 10 levels of spellcasting for what the class grants. And very few melee classes would choose it, but I could definitely see using it on a Dragon.
      [2]What is "Proficiencies: Fear"?
      [3]What is the "Optionally" bit?
      [4]Why does the class have a BAB requirement and than gives a medium progression?
      [5]Why isn't a Fearmonger immune to his own Fear Aura initially? That makes it kind of a pain to use.
      [6]What exactly does Transfer Fear do other than remove fear debuffs from your allies?
      [7]Fear the Fearless should probably mention more in-depth what it exactly effects.
      [8]I personally like Paralyzing and Mind-Killing Fear. They give you interesting things to do with Fear in general.
      [9]The opinion I have on this class is similar to what I had for the Paranormal Seeker back in the second competition. It doesn't really Wow me or stand out, but it has really good utility use for what it represents and for that reason I could definitely see it being used.
    Thanks for the feedback Troll Bräu, ill get to working on my submission.

Fixed up the grammar of Fear Immunity, Intense Fear and Paralyzing Fear

1. Its meant to be as unrestricted as possible. An Anti-paladin, a Psion and a wizard could all easily qualify, as would many creatures. Straight tanks may not choose it, but i could see a few supporting characters picking it up (non-casting bards come to mind). If the lack of spellcasting progression is a worry I can put in a few levels.

2. Umm... That was a joke

3. The optionally part was for RP heavy games/players as opposed to the optimization mind frame. (Not going into Stormwind though)

4. Good point, Pre-req removed.

5. Fix'd

6. Nothing at this point. I was considering it also providing sustenance (Food + Water, not sleep) equal to 24 hours when he does so.

7. It allows any fear based effect the Fearmonger uses to ignore immunity to fear. Thats about it.

8. Thanks

9. Thats what I aim for. I like me brew to be as simple and usable as possible, but still allow for customization and fun character concepts.
    Last edited by Kane0; 2012-10-15 at 01:25 AM.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

I am so torn as to what to write for this contest. The contest quote is a great FDR quote and I'm inclined to write something that capitalizes on it, at the same time, I have a dark and twisted little mind so we'll see and lay out the options...

1. First, a prestige class that is based using my Ebon Initiate class (if allowed) and bardcraft, that herds spectres with haunting requiems and gains spectral undead powers of fear, calling themselves the Singers of Phobos or something to that likening.
    2. The second idea is that of spellcaster that does for spells with a fear descriptor what swiftblade did with haste, called the Scarecrow (unless I can think o of something better).
    3. The third idea is a bit more complicated, but it the mortal enemies of Will and Fear in the same class as chosen paths cannot be denied in the Green Lantern Corps and Sinestro Corps.

Anyone have a preference?

-X
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2012-10-15 at 03:00 AM.
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

I vote for option 1 cause I'm a fan of your Ebon Initiate

Following that thought, maybe call it the Singer of the Damned?
    Roll for it
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

14. - Top - End - #554

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Following that thought, maybe call it the Singer of the Damned?
    Or perhaps the Tongue of Moros.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ettin in the Playground

I realise that, and I would have reposted it already but I'm at school so I have to wait till I get home.

Okay I've added it back, but it needs alot more work since I didn't continue it once I removed it.
    That's cool, take your time. Because of that server maintenance we went under, the contest is already extended till November 3rd, so you definitely have some more time.

Thanks for the feedback Troll Bräu, ill get to working on my submission.

Fixed up the grammar of Fear Immunity, Intense Fear and Paralyzing Fear

1. Its meant to be as unrestricted as possible. An Anti-paladin, a Psion and a wizard could all easily qualify, as would many creatures. Straight tanks may not choose it, but i could see a few supporting characters picking it up (non-casting bards come to mind). If the lack of spellcasting progression is a worry I can put in a few levels.
    The lack of spellcasting/manifesting/etc. is a worry because it gives no incentive for anyone with any kind of class feature to take the class. Who would give up 6-9th spells/powers/etc. for what the class grants?

2. Umm... That was a joke
    Oh.

3. The optionally part was for RP heavy games/players as opposed to the optimization mind frame. (Not going into Stormwind though)
    Oh. In that case, wouldn't a set requirement like, "A character must have truly feared for their life, been under the effects of the panicked condition from a spell or supernatural ability, or spent one month training with another Fearmonger to take levels in this class" make more sense?

6. Nothing at this point. I was considering it also providing sustenance (Food + Water, not sleep) equal to 24 hours when he does so.
    Well, think something up before the contest closes.

7. It allows any fear based effect the Fearmonger uses to ignore immunity to fear. Thats about it.
    I know. It's just some RAW sticklers like to see it plainly laid out since technically Undead, Constructs, etc. are still immune. Just not Paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    I am so torn as to what to write for this contest. The contest quote is a great FDR quote and I'm inclined to write something that capitalizes on it, at the same time, I have a dark and twisted little mind so we'll see and lay out the options...

1. First, a prestige class that is based using my Ebon Initiate class (if allowed) and bardcraft, that herds spectres with haunting requiems and gains spectral undead powers of fear, calling themselves the Singers of Phobos or something to that likening.
    2. The second idea is that of spellcaster that does for spells with a fear descriptor what swiftblade did with haste, called the Scarecrow (unless I can think o of something better).
    3. The third idea is a bit more complicated, but it the mortal enemies of Will and Fear in the same class as chosen paths cannot be denied in the Green Lantern Corps and Sinestro Corps.

Anyone have a preference?

-X
    • 1. While Necrophobia, Spectrophobia, and Thanatophobia fit perfectly with the theme, this is a Pathfinder only contest and not 3.P. To that end, I'll have to say no to having it as a PrC that progresses off the Ebon Initiate.
    • 3. Again, while Xanthophobia fits the very well with the theme, the addition of GL into the mix doesn't. Unless the class allows the user to choose to inflict great fear on those around them or to have great resistance to things that are feared (in which case it fits the theme and is an interesting entry, but I worry if it might be too niche to be a whole base class)
    • 2. This is my favorite of your three mentioned ideas. I loved the Swiftblade and what it did for Haste, so I'd be very interested in more classes like it.

Just my two pence on the subject. And that's cutting me own throat.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Have tweaked the pre-req, added a little casting progression and clarified the Fear for the Fearless ability.

Please keep in mind that the casting progression is deliberately broad (I don't think I missed anything did I?) because I want this class to be as applicable as possible to as many character concepts as possible in game. Though giving 5 levels of casting might tip the balance a bit now, I'm considering dropping the HD to d6 to compensate.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Kane0; 2012-10-15 at 04:51 PM.
    Roll for it
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ettin in the Playground

Have tweaked the pre-req, added a little casting progression and clarified the Fear for the Fearless ability.

Please keep in mind that the casting progression is deliberately broad (I don't think I missed anything did I?) because I want this class to be as applicable as possible to as many character concepts as possible in game. Though giving 5 levels of casting might tip the balance a bit now, I'm considering dropping the HD to d6 to compensate.

Thoughts?
    The first issue I have is that your new addition to the class kind of makes it ineligible to be an entry. This is a Pathfinder only material contest and several of those things are 3.5 mechanics (if I've made an exception in a previous contest where I allowed something that was blatantly 3.P and didn't make a Pathfinder equivalent for a 3.5 mechanic/term/ability/etc. please let me know. That's not something I most likely thought out/knowingly did at the time and it wasn't my intention to set a precedent for such entries).

My second issue is the wording is just wonky. Maybe look at how that one PrC from 3.5's Weapons of Legacy was worded for an example.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, in that case I can chop it down into Spellcasting and Psionics only, as those are the only two I think are in PF.
    Roll for it
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright. All the trophies are finished and sent out!

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright. All the trophies are finished and sent out!
    Many thank yous! I attached them to the class that I reposted to the forum proper.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Many thank yous! I attached them to the class that I reposted to the forum proper.

-X
    You're very welcome. =D

Can't wait to see your entry for the month!

22. - Top - End - #562

Living Hive is done, as well as the One of Many and Living Nest.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry all, between college and Sandy, I've been stretched thin.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, before I do a run-down on the Fear Eater, can either Mathias or someone else tell me exactly what class has the Devastating Touch and Aura of Fear class features?

Time for a run-down on the Living Hive!

Fluff
    • I'd try restructuring those first two sentence a bit; for some reason it just looks like commas might be being overused.
    • I think you meant "awaken" instead of "awake".
    • I think you meant "entomophobic" instead of "entomophobics".
    • I would combine the two sections personally. They're too short to really be stand alone section.

Crawling Within
    • You switch from a generic pronoun to a specific one and do so through the class, you should pick one or the other.

Actually, let me stop it here. I'd suggest you give your entry a full read through and fix it up a bit. I'm seeing a lot of errors and more good would be served by a brief editing from you than from me pointing out every error.

Also, please remove that image from your entry. It's from the original Ben 10 television show and you haven't made mention that Man of Action gave you permission to use it.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-10-30 at 11:00 AM.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Dwarf in the Playground

My Fear Eater is based off the Dread, it is a fear based psionic class from Psionics Unleashed. I believe it is by Dreamscarred. The ones doing Psionics for Pathfinder.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias1313 View Post
    My Fear Eater is based off the Dread, it is a fear based psionic class from Psionics Unleashed. I believe it is by Dreamscarred. The ones doing Psionics for Pathfinder.
    It doesn't look like that class ended up being for valid use with the other material from Dreamscarred on the Pathfinder SRD (yet).

So I find myself at an impasse; I want to allow it since it is just a continuation of the other Dreamscarred psionic material (which I've allowed in this contest before), but I want to disallow it because until it's on the Pathfinder SRD, it's not OGL and thus it's hard to judge it as a PrC.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh. And before I completely forget, here's the preview for next month:

On the Origin of Species

28. - Top - End - #568
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

It doesn't look like that class ended up being for valid use with the other material from Dreamscarred on the Pathfinder SRD (yet).

So I find myself at an impasse; I want to allow it since it is just a continuation of the other Dreamscarred psionic material (which I've allowed in this contest before), but I want to disallow it because until it's on the Pathfinder SRD, it's not OGL and thus it's hard to judge it as a PrC.
    its a wonderful little class Troll Brau the staff on the Pathfinder SRD haven't gotten around to updating those little bits, they're currently trying to update all of the paizo supplements released so far and Paizo has been pushing them out faster then they can keep up.

and yes its based on fear and terror! I love Dreads they make my void scholar look legit.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Warpwolf16 View Post
    its a wonderful little class Troll Brau the staff on the Pathfinder SRD haven't gotten around to updating those little bits, they're currently trying to update all of the paizo supplements released so far and Paizo has been pushing them out faster then they can keep up.

and yes its based on fear and terror! I love Dreads they make my void scholar look legit.
    My brother has that book, I need to get it from him.

But the point still stands that, as of now, few people have access to reading the Dread class and until it's added, you can't really explain the stuff here on GiTP.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

True enough also next months theme is interesting, got a feeling its gonna be a mess to work with but I think it can be done!