New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Chat Thread

Okay, grammar issues and capitalising random words. My eternal foes. I'll get onto that.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post
    Hehe. Harry Dresden?
    Well, kinda, but coming from the opposite direction. And how could I say no to such a cool picture

Just a small thing, because otherwise the entry is fine, but could you possiblely play up the Horror angle more in the fluff? It sounds kind of Buffyish when the mood is more Hellboy/Lovecraftian.
    Yeah, I thought so a little too. I'll work on that.

Track? Really? I mean, that's kind of a craptastic entry requirement in all honesty, especially since it's just Railroading in feat form. It's makes sense and all with the class' flavor, but still.
    Well, it makes for an easy Ranger entry. If its that much of a problem, I can change it to something else though?

What class do you see as being the best entry for this class? The skills it gets read "Skill Monkey" to me but its skill points per level read "Barbarian".
    Ranger. Gets all the Skills, has similar flavor and gets the crappy entry feat for free.

Bow-ties Rangers are cool.

I see 3 Dead levels. Dead levels are bad. This class is already very simple, straight forward and utilitarian for a non-caster so you could add in more features to make it unique. Maybe some "He who Fights Monsters" vibe?
    Noted. I thought I'd mapped Annul Magic's progression to those dead levels, but the best of plans... Anyway, I'll get to work on fleshing it out.

I know that Spell Resistance is an Extraordinary special quality, but the rest of Annul Magic reads like it would be Supernatural. How do you envision this class feature functions as Extraordinary?
    PUNCH THE MAGIC!

...Well, for the first progression of Annul Magic, my image is that of a mental struggle to fight off whatever magic is affecting the Seeker. Trapped in a Solid Fog? Willpower your way out of there.

The second progression is an extension of the Spell Resistance. Simply being in the Paranormal Seeker's presence dampens magic, and makes it harder to use. So, if Spell Resistance is a forcefield that protects you against spells, this ability represents that field extending out a little bit.

For Unnatural Lore, you should probably define what "monsters" encapsulates since Orcs, Drow and Kobolds are in the Bestiary too.
    I don't see what's so bad about giving it bonuses against mundane monsters as well. If you spend your time searching for creatures that have no regard to euclidean geometry, you're bound to pick up some stories about the more mundane.

I like this Prestige class because it's so simplistic and something that you could see easily applied in any game, especially for people who build anti-casters. It's not overtly strong or unique though, so it makes me wonder if it could be condensed into some kind of Archetype.
    Hmm, okay, that makes sense. I suppose that, as it stands, I could convert this into a Ranger Archtype rather than a Prestige Class. I'll consider doing that, or reworking the flavor to fit the theme a bit better (I have had very little exposure to Gothic Horror, as I've said before, so I'm flying ever so slightly blind at the moment) and beefing it up a bit.
    Last edited by Golden Ladybug; 2012-04-20 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sorry for my entry taking so long, I've been doing work on huge project recently and it is taking up most of my time. It should be finished relatively soon though.
    I'm going to finish all the mechanics ASAP then do the Bloodlines last.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Post Re: Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Ladybug View Post
    Well, kinda, but coming from the opposite direction. And how could I say no to such a cool picture
    Hehe.

Well, it makes for an easy Ranger entry. If its that much of a problem, I can change it to something else though?
    It's just that the feat is kind of a waste in of itself. I mean, it doesn't exactly do anything since it's the DM's decision if you actually reach the quarry and when.

If no other feat meets your tastes, you could always homebrew one.

Ranger. Gets all the Skills, has similar flavor and gets the crappy entry feat for free.

Bow-ties Rangers are cool.
    Well, why the lower skill points then?

PUNCH THE MAGIC!

...Well, for the first progression of Annul Magic, my image is that of a mental struggle to fight off whatever magic is affecting the Seeker. Trapped in a Solid Fog? Willpower your way out of there.

The second progression is an extension of the Spell Resistance. Simply being in the Paranormal Seeker's presence dampens magic, and makes it harder to use. So, if Spell Resistance is a forcefield that protects you against spells, this ability represents that field extending out a little bit.
    Works for me.

I don't see what's so bad about giving it bonuses against mundane monsters as well. If you spend your time searching for creatures that have no regard to euclidean geometry, you're bound to pick up some stories about the more mundane.
    I meant more that you should define what's a Monster and what isn't for the purpose of the ability.

It's not the case as much for Pathfinder as it was for 3.5, but as V said:

"We are all in the Monster Manual somewhere, are we not? My entry lies between Elemental and Etheral Filcher."

Hmm, okay, that makes sense. I suppose that, as it stands, I could convert this into a Ranger Archtype rather than a Prestige Class. I'll consider doing that, or reworking the flavor to fit the theme a bit better (I have had very little exposure to Gothic Horror, as I've said before, so I'm flying ever so slightly blind at the moment) and beefing it up a bit.
    You just need to beef it up is all. ^_^

And it's alright, take your time and learn all you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Sorry for my entry taking so long, I've been doing work on huge project recently and it is taking up most of my time. It should be finished relatively soon though.
    I'm going to finish all the mechanics ASAP then do the Bloodlines last.
    It's fine, take your time. Real world junk is more important.

4. - Top - End - #124

It's fine, take your time. Real world junk is more important.
    I actually ment this project. Which is why I'm saying sorry.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125

I've finished the class. I still have to do 11 of the Bloodlines though, but I would appreciate any comments about the class in general.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry guys for being AWOL. I'll try to get in a rundown tonight or tomorrow, I've just started a massive project of creating my own game system.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I'm curious if a mad/super science competition would ever be conceived through this, I'd post an entry if I could since this is the first time I've seen this going on and seems I've arrived to late.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Warpwolf16 View Post
    I'm curious if a mad/super science competition would ever be conceived through this, I'd post an entry if I could since this is the first time I've seen this going on and seems I've arrived to late.
    You have 5 days left till the end of this competition. =O

And I'll tuck away that idea for another comp.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, time for another rundown on the Sanguine Inquisitor!

Fluff
    • It should be "man a king or a boy a mage". As it is right only sounds right to me if there were more things to be listed.
    • I think you meant "sees" not "see's".

Alignment
    • I think you meant "descend" not "decend".

Blood Mark
    • There probably should be parentheses around "without the Elemental subtype".

Blood Never Lies
    • I think you meant "Detect Thoughts on a single creature" not "Detect Thoughts single creature".
    • But would be more appropriate than and for "they believe".

Smite Heretic
    • You have some copy/paste errors in there. You mix up your gender pronouns and didn't replace all instance of paladin.

Bloodline Transfusion
    • I think you meant "fulfills" not "fulfil".
    • I would suggest wording it as "Select one ability from that specific Bloodline which you have access to" or something similar.

Whispers in the Dark
    • I think you meant "ninth" not "nineth".

Sanguine Wine
    • There probably should be parentheses around "without the Elemental subtype".

Empowered Bloodline
    • I think you meant "thirteenth" not "thriteenth".

Sanguine Rupture
    • I think you meant "the damage that the Sanguine" instead of "the damage Sanguine".

Noble Blood
    • I think you meant "can manipulate" not "he can manipulate".

Elixir of Life
    • I think you meant "can create" not "he can create".

Sanguine Proclamation
    • I think you meant "can manipulate" not "he can manipulate".

That's it for the grammar portion for now. This is a big class with a lot of stuff and I don't want to try and tackle all of it at once. So the Bloodlines and other bits can wait till later.

• First thing I'd like to know is, why a good deity? What limits this class from drawing power from neutral or evil deities? And even if they stick to the code, if the god is granting direct power, why not just rip the power from them as the deity should for a fallen disciple?
    • Why is a front-line fighter saddled with a d6 hit dice?
    • You need to be more specific with what a "Blood Mark" is. I can assume you mean that when something is cast or done for a creature with a Blood Mark for, that the ability is targeting them and not creatures of that type or something else.
    • Why does this class so heavily concentrate on Charisma? When I think of blood based classes, I think of Constitution being the focused score. I'd probably split between the two scores, with the physical end being Con based (like Blood points and such and the mystic end being Charisma.
    • Two words: Feature Glut. Before even looking at Bloodlines, this class gets 24 separate class features. I would suggest taking all those class features that mimic spells and just combining them into one single class feature. Dead levels on a table is fine as long as they aren't actual dead levels.
    • The spell mimicking class features are kind of weird. You give them a much higher Caster level but then give them wildly fluctuating saves (some are too high, some are too low, some are just right, etc.).
    • Sanguine Paladin could use some umpf. The cost reduction is the only thing there that really feels like a capstone ability. 20 extra hit points is the equivalent of the Toughness feat and immunity to death from massive damage is...meh. You need to make this more worth it.
    • Now, I hate to say this since you did put a lot of work into them, but I feel like the Bloodlines are superfluous. They feel tacked on to the concept of the class and from the cursory glances may just knock this class to being more powerful than it feels like it should be. I really liked the whole blood manipulation angle and vampire control and all that, but the megamaning that comes from the Bloodlines is kind of a turn off for me, especially since it makes this class feel like two viable class concepts mashed together.

10. - Top - End - #130

That's it for the grammar portion for now. This is a big class with a lot of stuff and I don't want to try and tackle all of it at once. So the Bloodlines and other bits can wait till later.
    Sounds more manageable.

• First thing I'd like to know is, why a good deity? What limits this class from drawing power from neutral or evil deities? And even if they stick to the code, if the god is granting direct power, why not just rip the power from them as the deity should for a fallen disciple?
    • I like the idea that the gods allow it to do evil as they are defeating evil. The ends justify the means effectively.

• Why is a front-line fighter saddled with a d6 hit dice?
    Typo. Fixed it.

11. You need to be more specific with what a "Blood Mark" is. I can assume you mean that when something is cast or done for a creature with a Blood Mark for, that the ability is targeting them and not creatures of that type or something else.
It is like a list of creatures that you can effect with your powers. Using Blood Mark you can add creatures to this list.

• Why does this class so heavily concentrate on Charisma? When I think of blood based classes, I think of Constitution being the focused score. I'd probably split between the two scores, with the physical end being Con based (like Blood points and such and the mystic end being Charisma.
  • I'll make the more physical effects Con based.

• Two words: Feature Glut. Before even looking at Bloodlines, this class gets 24 separate class features. I would suggest taking all those class features that mimic spells and just combining them into one single class feature. Dead levels on a table is fine as long as they aren't actual dead levels.
  • I've merged Sanguine Trail & Bloody Spies and Noble Blood & Sanguine Proclamation.

• The spell mimicking class features are kind of weird. You give them a much higher Caster level but then give them wildly fluctuating saves (some are too high, some are too low, some are just right, etc.).
  • Will fix. Also Saves are 10 + spell level + relavant ability modifier isn't it.

• Sanguine Paladin could use some umpf. The cost reduction is the only thing there that really feels like a capstone ability. 20 extra hit points is the equivalent of the Toughness feat and immunity to death from massive damage is...meh. You need to make this more worth it.
  • I'm make it better.

• Now, I hate to say this since you did put a lot of work into them, but I feel like the Bloodlines are superfluous. They feel tacked on to the concept of the class and from the cursory glances may just knock this class to being more powerful than it feels like it should be. I really liked the whole blood manipulation angle and vampire control and all that, but the megamaning that comes from the Bloodlines is kind of a turn off for me, especially since it makes this class feel like two viable class concepts mashed together.
  • Fine by me. It was going to be a huge amount of work.
    Show
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

• - Top - End - #131

Well, as sorry as I am, I can't really fix this month's entry. I didn't connect with the theme, or really have much in the way of ideas. For the first contest, I knew exactly what I wanted the WEC to be, but this time around, I didn't have any inspiration for what to do.

So, yeah, that's that. I suppose Gothic Horror isn't the right theme for me.

There's always next month

Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

• - Top - End - #132
    Halfling in the Playground

Sorry it took me a while - dealing with election coverage stuff et al.

Anyhow, my entry is up... the Grey Men, a CR 20 manipulative monstrosity from Shadow that is basically the Balor-equivalent for a 'type' of creature I'm working on called, well... horrors. They're basically the indigenous inhabitants of the Plane of Shadow before various other races started interfering with it/finding refuge there/etc. They're basically incarnations of phobias and dread that feed off the darker emotions of mortals, being themselves inhabitants of the darker mirror of the mortal plane.

It's been a pet-project of mine for the past two years, shaddup.

Anyhow, decided to deliver the big guy for this contest as the Grey Men appear more impressive than Scarecrows or the Things in the Wall or the Monsters under the Bed, and can be used as arc characters within a campaign rather than a single one-off encounter.

Primordial incarnation of dark conspiracies infecting the nations of men? I think that fits with the Gothic Horror theme, don't you?

Cheers!
    There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.
    There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, as sorry as I am, I can't really fix this month's entry. I didn't connect with the theme, or really have much in the way of ideas. For the first contest, I knew exactly what I wanted the WEC to be, but this time around, I didn't have any inspiration for what to do.

So, yeah, that's that. I suppose Gothic Horror isn't the right theme for me.

There's always next month
    Well, at least you tried your best and put in an entry hun. More than a lot of folks can say and you've made it so this contest isn't a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by TARDIS View Post
    Sorry it took me a while - dealing with election coverage stuff et al.

Anyhow, my entry is up... the Grey Men, a CR 20 manipulative monstrosity from Shadow that is basically the Balor-equivalent for a 'type' of creature I'm working on called, well... horrors. They're basically the indigenous inhabitants of the Plane of Shadow before various other races started interfering with it/finding refuge there/etc. They're basically incarnations of phobias and dread that feed off the darker emotions of mortals, being themselves inhabitants of the darker mirror of the mortal plane.

It's been a pet-project of mine for the past two years, shaddup.

Anyhow, decided to deliver the big guy for this contest as the Grey Men appear more impressive than Scarecrows or the Things in the Wall or the Monsters under the Bed, and can be used as arc characters within a campaign rather than a single one-off encounter.

Primordial incarnation of dark conspiracies infecting the nations of men? I think that fits with the Gothic Horror theme, don't you?

Cheers!
    It's cool, real world takes precedence.

I'll take a looksy and such when I'm more woke up and give you a run down as soon as I can (what with things going down to the wire).

• - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Will fix. Also Saves are 10 + spell level + relavant ability modifier isn't it.
    Yes, but I noticed some of the DCs didn't match up with the spell's level. But I guess it depends which spell list you were grabbing it from.

• - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, time for a run down on The Grey Men!

Auras
    • You mention an Unnatural Aura but there is no such ability.

Immunities
    • I think you meant "aging" and not "ageing".

Resistances
    • You forgot the comma inbetween 10 and sonic.

Spell-like Abilities
    • You forgot to italicize the 9th level spells.

Spells known
    • You forgot to bold the 0 and 1st level spells.

Alien Horror
    • I think you meant "writhing" not "writing".

Obscure Alignment
    • You forgot to italicize Undetectable Alignment.

Ecology
    • I feel like Grey Man should be a proper noun and thus capitalized.
    • Horrors also feels like it should be a proper noun.
    • "However, this a grey man is just as likely to serve as an ally for heroes as it is an enemy." That sentence doesn't really make sense to me.
    • I think you meant "threat" and not "treat".
    • I think you meant "may also be sought" and not "may also sought".

Alright, the grammar bits are all done.

• Shouldn't Horror be a subtype for the Outsider main type? Horrors are creatures from the Plane of Shadow after all.
    • For the type description you really don't need those bits of rule text before each ability. Just listing the ability is enough.
    • Teleportation as a swift action is powerful, but interesting.
    • As I mentioned in the grammar, what is the Grey Man's Unnatural Aura?
    • Why immunity to aging effects? As far as I'm aware there are no actual aging effects in the game and I can't think of precedence for immunity to them other than the odd class feature.
    • It's SR is HD-3, why is that? SR is usually 11+HD and means these guys should have SR 39.
    • Why are they vulnerable to fire?
    • Overall, I very much like these guys. They really remind me of Paeliryon from 3rd editions and they were always a favorite of mine. I love powerful foes who can easily lend to Enemy Mine situations or Villain Civil Wars.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-04-30 at 04:06 PM.

• - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

And the curtain falls on another month's competition.

Voting thread is up and the new contest is posted folks! Good luck!

• - Top - End - #137

Ah the Avengers. Did you know that some of my favourite hero's were part of the Avengers at some stage.

I have a few ideas for this competition. One question first can it be any of the Avengers or just the main hero's like the ones in the movie?

With my knowledge on Marvel it should give me good amount of options if I wasn't restrained to the most well-known hero's.
    Show

• - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a few ideas for this competition. One question first can it be any of the Avengers or just the main hero's like the ones in the movie?
    Sure, why not.

I originally just included Deadpool as an in-joke for us comic fans (since he always gets a variant cover for practically everything these days) but I don't see the harm.

Just keep in mind though that it may penalize you in the voting stage since people will be more familiar with the movie by the time the contest ends and that that may be their only knowledge on the theme the entries are based around.

• - Top - End - #139

So I probably shouldn't choose Agent Venom as the base for my class.

He isn't technically part of the Avengers, he is part of the Secret Avengers which is a small section of the Avengers.

There is an image of him on the cover of this issue of the Secret Avengers (He's the one in the front):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Show

• - Top - End - #140

For some reason the forum wasn't detecting my previous post.
    Show

• - Top - End - #141

Awesome, I love the Comic Books! I probably know more trivia about comics than I do about all the things school has endeavoured to teach me over the years.

Let me think of something cool, and I'll start work...well, probably on the weekend. I've got a lot of school stuff to do this week (which I should probably be doing now, but...I don't really want to )

• - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Awesome, I love the Comic Books! I probably know more trivia about comics than I do about all the things school has endeavoured to teach me over the years.

Let me think of something cool, and I'll start work...well, probably on the weekend. I've got a lot of school stuff to do this week (which I should probably be doing now, but...I don't really want to )
    Love to see what you come up with. ^_^

So I probably shouldn't choose Agent Venom as the base for my class.

He isn't technically part of the Avengers, he is part of the Secret Avengers which is a small section of the Avengers.

There is an image of him on the cover of this issue of the Secret Avengers (He's the one in the front):
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think enough people know who Venom is that you should be fine.

And I thought he was part of the new Frightful Four. He's part of Secret Avengers too?

• - Top - End - #143

EvilClericGuy

Oh! This is something I'll defiantly play up some obscure avenger goodness if possible! Though where does the line of Avenger draw the line? As in the original or its off shoots as well? Just curious because I saw this while reading old issues of west coast avengers Nostalgia burst!

Would Iron man inspired material be a good theme? Since it seems he is a founding member of the avengers and a major role in the up coming movie and I wouldnt mind creating a half construct race based off Stark.

• - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh! This is something I'll defiantly play up some obscure avenger goodness if possible! Though where does the line of Avenger draw the line? As in the original or its off shoots as well? Just curious because I saw this while reading old issues of west coast avengers Nostalgia burst!
    As I told Milo, go nuts if you want. But keep in mind that you may end up penalizing yourself in the voting stage when it turns out that the voters are only as aware of the Avengers as the Marvel movie line has portrayed them.

So as neat as a Triathlon or Moondragon based entry would be, no one would probably get how it ties into the theme.

Would Iron man inspired material be a good theme? Since it seems he is a founding member of the avengers and a major role in the up coming movie and I wouldnt mind creating a half construct race based off Stark.
    As the theme notes "that is themed around the titular Avengers".

• - Top - End - #145

I think enough people know who Venom is that you should be fine.

And I thought he was part of the new Frightful Four. He's part of Secret Avengers too?
    Thanks good. I'll start it ASAP. Also I think Venom was only part of the Frightful Four in a What If? So I don't think it was canon that he was part of them.
    Show

• - Top - End - #146

EvilClericGuy

Am I allowed to submit more then one thing?

• - Top - End - #147

Am I allowed to submit more then one thing?
    Rule 5: Only one entry is allowed per participant.
    Show

• - Top - End - #148

EvilClericGuy

Rule 5: Only one entry is allowed per participant.
    Thanks Milo V3 I didn't notice that, now I need to decided race or class!

• - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

For those of you who haven't voted yet, please don't forget to.

@Milo: A Dark counterpart to one of your previous entries? I approve.

• - Top - End - #150

@Milo: A Dark counterpart to one of your previous entries? I approve.
    It was going to be Venom or Sandman. So I made your that either way it was going to be an enemy to the Spider Blood Assassin's.
    Show

• Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast