New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Chat Thread

Milo, what is to prevent the Symbiote from taking over? Would the player need to make a Will save every night to prevent being taken over? He would eventually fail a Will save and start attacking his party. How about having the PC and Symbiote go through a ritual and/or have a deal where the symbiote is unable to completely take over the body of its host? The ritual would of course be done in the backstory to prevent wasting time in-game.
    "I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it" - Edgar Allen Poe

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masterstalker2 View Post
    Milo, what is to prevent the Symbiote from taking over? Would the player need to make a Will save every night to prevent being taken over? He would eventually fail a Will save and start attacking his party. How about having the PC and Symbiote go through a ritual and/or have a deal where the symbiote is unable to completely take over the body of its host? The ritual would of course be done in the backstory to prevent wasting time in-game.
    The Tainted Scion of Venom is already taken over, effectively. Symbiotes, as far as I'm aware don't exactly have minds when they have a host (other than Toxin who is unique). They instead "merge" minds with their host. If you enter this class then you will not only have the mind of your character, but also that of the Symbiote. These two creatures form a singular mind. This is why Venom says WE instead of I.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    The Tainted Scion of Venom is already taken over, effectively. Symbiotes, as far as I'm aware don't exactly have minds when they have a host (other than Toxin who is unique). They instead "merge" minds with their host. If you enter this class then you will not only have the mind of your character, but also that of the Symbiote. These two creatures form a singular mind. This is why Venom says WE instead of I.
    Actually, the Symbiote pretty much retains a mind of its own and Toxin isn't that unique a case.

Eddie Brock and the Venom Symbiote and Cletus Kassidy and the Carnage symbiote were just of similar mindsets and goals to the point that they may have been a gestalt entity instead of two beings working in tandem.

But as we see in the cases of Patricia Roberts, Angelo Fortuna, Mac Gargan and Flash Thompson, the symbiote can be at cross purposes to it's host and will either try to completely dominate a suitable and weaker host (in the case of Roberts, Gargan and Thompson) or it will just play along and completely abandon a host when it gets bored (such as in the case of Fortuna).

The reason one can see Toxin as "unique" is because it is still in its infancy so doesn't fully understand how to work in almost perfect synchronization with a suitable host like it's sire and grand-sire do.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Yeah, this would also mean that the Symbiote would have its own CHA, INT, and WIS scores. Also, Venom and Carnage say "WE" since their hosts are submissive. Toxin, however, doesn't say "WE" when referring to him and his host, since they, at first, don't get along all that well (they get along better after they make a deal, and even then, Toxin refers to himself as a separate being from his host). Also, I would like to point out that, at times, Venom and Brock will agree to help innocents, even if it means that they are working with Spider-Man to do it. Also, Brock and Venom only fully bonded when they teamed up with Spider-Man and Scarlet Spider to fight Carnage (who was stronger after consuming symbiotes), and they bonded so that they could make the necessary "scream" to defeat the symbiotes in the Planet of the Symbiotes storyline.

Also, for Toxin, its not completely that he is unable to dominate his host, its mostly that Patrick Mulligan is able to will it to not kill and battled the urges of violence from the Symbiote. Symbiotes can completely dominate weak individuals, but Patrick Mulligan is an example of someone who was able to prevent being dominated by his Symbiote.
    Last edited by masterstalker2; 2012-05-03 at 05:43 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post
    Snip.
    I never said they didn't dominate the host. Those with this class have embraced the symbiote and the two act as one mind, kind of....
    The traits of both minds are in this gesalt mind, but the one with the most will power will be dominate and the mind will effectively be their mind with slight traits of the other.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The Symbiote and the host have two separate minds, though the Symbiote can partially influence the actions of the host.

Well, you could say that it is a single mind inhabited by two entities.

Also, this could allow for a good two-person character, where two people have to cooperate, one as the Symbiote, one as the host. Though a person could just decide to be both, roleplaying as the separate entities.

I wonder if someone will make a class based off of Batman, Deadpool, or Wolverine.
    Last edited by masterstalker2; 2012-05-03 at 05:58 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

I never said they didn't dominate the host. Those with this class have embraced the symbiote and the two act as one mind, kind of....
    The traits of both minds are in this gesalt mind, but the one with the most will power will be dominate and the mind will effectively be their mind with slight traits of the other.
    I was just chiming in on the Symbiotes, not your class. I'm waiting till you have everything up before taking a look over it.

8. - Top - End - #158

The Symbiote and the host have two separate minds, though the Symbiote can partially influence the actions of the host.

Well, you could say that it is a single mind inhabited by two entities.

Also, this could allow for a good two-person character, where two people have to cooperate, one as the Symbiote, one as the host. Though a person could just decide to be both, roleplaying as the separate entities.

I wonder if someone will make a class based off of Batman, Deadpool, or Wolverine.
    This is actually what I meant. It has two minds but they are one mind. Its weird....
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Mindscrew? Also, you could put in the description that it is sort of like two entities inhabiting the same mind.

Also, shouldn't the Scion have the same skills as the Spider Blood Assassin, since they are Ex-Spider Blood Assassins?

Also, I have an idea for an Ex-Tainted Scion of Venom.
    If you are separated from your Symbiote, whether willingly or unwillingly, you must retrieve or get a new Symbiote within 1d4 days or your levels in Tainted Scion of Venom will revert to levels in Spider Blood Assassin, and you cannot gain more levels in Tainted Scion of Venom unless a spell is used to reverse it, such as Atonement or Wish, or you retrieve your Symbiote.

Also, put into the class that you can only have levels in Spider Blood Assassin or Tainted Scion of Venom, but not both.
    Last edited by masterstalker2; 2012-05-03 at 07:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160

Mindscrew? Also, you could put in the description that it is sort of like two entities inhabiting the same mind.
    Sure.

Also, shouldn't the Scion have the same skills as the Spider Blood Assassin, since they are Ex-Spider Blood Assassins?
    This isn't a stealth class. And it isn't as much an Ex-Spider Blood Assassin as most symbiotes attach to people who aren't Spider Blood Assassins. Thus they aren't as skilled as the Spider Blood Assassins. I did base the list off a mix of barbarian and Spider Blood Assassin.

Also, I have an idea for an Ex-Tainted Scion of Venom.
    If you are separated from your Symbiote, whether willingly or unwillingly, you must retrieve or get a new Symbiote within 1d4 days or your levels in Tainted Scion of Venom will revert to levels in Spider Blood Assassin, and you cannot gain more levels in Tainted Scion of Venom unless a spell is used to reverse it, such as Atonement or Wish, or you retrieve your Symbiote.

Also, put into the class that you can only have levels in Spider Blood Assassin or Tainted Scion of Venom, but not both.
    That wouldn't exactly work as a Tainted Scion can come from a random commoner who touched the symbiote. Losing the Symbiote wont grant you the abilities that you wouldn't normally have.

On the other hand can I add the reverse of that to Spider Blood Assassin or would that break the rule of not discussing my entry in other threads?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

During the first years of the Spider Blood Assassin's, a young assassin known as Petros came into contact with an ooze from the Far-Realm. This ooze covered Petros forming a powerful armor, increasing his strength, speed, and agility. He brought this ooze, now known as a Symbiote, back to the Spider Blood Assassins and soon their were several assassin's with this ally. But their was a price, the Ooze feed off raw emotions and twisted their minds into a murderous rage so it could feed. Hating the idea of losing their free-will the remaining Spider Blood Assassin's rejected the symbiotes.
    This is part of the description you have in the Scion class, meaning that it is technically Ex-Spider Blood Assassin, though they became the front-line fighters that they are because of the Symbiotes. That's what I think when I read the description, not that they were random people.

12. - Top - End - #162

This is part of the description you have in the Scion class, meaning that it is technically Ex-Spider Blood Assassin, though they became the front-line fighters that they are because of the Symbiotes. That's what I think when I read the description, not that they were random people.
    I suggest you read the next sentence...
    Show

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Ah, ok, also, what is lothed? Don't you mean loathed?

Also, about it violating the rules by it being discussed in other threads, from what I can tell, your allowed to as long as your not trying to get more attention for the entry along with more criticism.

6a. Entries submitted to this contest may not be posted in a separate thread or format until the contest has come to a close. Any entries that are discovered to have been posted elsewhere during the contest's duration (such as to garner further attention and critiques) will be automatically disqualified.
    It's talking about posting the entire entry from what I can tell, though I can copy and paste my post about the Spider Blood Assassin having 1d4 days to get rid of the Symbiote here if you want me to.

Also, wouldn't that rule go for all classes, if they get a symbiote, they have 1d4 days to get rid of the symbiote before becoming a Tainted Scion? Or, other classes could have 1d3 or 1d2 since this is an unfamiliar enemy to them and they aren't the arch-nemesis to the Scion.
    Last edited by masterstalker2; 2012-05-03 at 08:45 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164

I meant loathed. I'll fix it.

And thanks for clarifying that rule.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Also, for other classes, would they have 1d2 or 1d3 days to get rid of the symbiote or would the symbiote not care about the other classes since their qualm is with the Spider Blood Assassin?

Also, I think that a Tainted Scion of Venom gets to select one class, and that class is the class that their Scion levels are replaced with when he loses his symbiote.

Also, would the Scion gain the ability to use what I'm calling Tendril Swinging? It's the Web Slinging ability for the Spider Blood Assassin only using the tendrils that Venom uses, to do what is effectively Web Slinging like Venom does after he leaves Spider-Man.
    Never mind, I see you have it, though it should be level 6, similar to the SBA's Technique.

Also, for the SBA getting a symbiote, as soon as he comes into contact with it and it takes shape, he becomes a Scion until he gets rid of the symbiote.
    Last edited by masterstalker2; 2012-05-03 at 10:24 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166

Also, for other classes, would they have 1d2 or 1d3 days to get rid of the symbiote or would the symbiote not care about the other classes since their qualm is with the Spider Blood Assassin?

Also, I think that a Tainted Scion of Venom gets to select one class, and that class is the class that their Scion levels are replaced with when he loses his symbiote.

Also, would the Scion gain the ability to use what I'm calling Tendril Swinging? It's the Web Slinging ability for the Spider Blood Assassin only using the tendrils that Venom uses, to do what is effectively Web Slinging like Venom does after he leaves Spider-Man.
    Never mind, I see you have it, though it should be level 6, similar to the SBA's Technique.
    I don't think that it should stop other classes. Flash for example would have fighter levels, when he takes a level in Tainted Scion I think he should still have his Fighter levels.

Also their is an issue with the select a class for if you lose the symbiote. Some players might exploit it severely allowing them to change into cleric or wizard instantly by losing the symbiote.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

And then they have to set up their character so that they are good at being both a Cleric and a Scion, which probably won't turn out well for them. Also, the class they choose for when they lose their symbiote would be their Scion level -X where X is the amount of levels they lose in that form.

For example (in this example, X = 3), if Peter Parker has 10 levels in Tainted Scion of Venom, if he loses his symbiote, he becomes a level 7 Spider Blood Assassin.

Also, I think Tendril Sling should be a level 6 ability, because a Spider Blood Assassin can get it well before level 11.
    Last edited by masterstalker2; 2012-05-03 at 10:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168

And then they have to set up their character so that they are good at being both a Cleric and a Scion, which probably won't turn out well for them. Also, the class they choose for when they lose their symbiote would be their Scion level -X where X is the amount of levels they lose in that form.

For example (in this example, X = 3), if Peter Parker has 10 levels in Tainted Scion of Venom, if he loses his symbiote, he becomes a level 7 Spider Blood Assassin.

Also, I think Tendril Sling should be a level 6 ability, because a Spider Blood Assassin can get it well before level 11.
    So something similar to LA.

And I want a good spacing out of abilities which is why it is on level 11.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-05-03 at 11:02 PM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

First, yeah, it would be similar to LA (which I had to look up because I never played 3.5E).

And second, I can see what you mean about having it at level 11, though level 10 or 9 might be better.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

DR 5/Sonic or Fire, at level 5, that seems a bit overpowered. For starters, it should be DR 5/Sonic AND Fire, and it should be gained at level 10 if anything.
    I say this is because the Prestige Class by Paizo (makers of Pathfinder), the Stalwart Defender, gets DR 5/- at level 10, and you need to have a BAB of +7 to just start taking the class, which is level 7 for Fighters. That means that they Stalwart Defender would have to be level 17 to get DR 5/-.

Also, I suggest adding to Step of the Web that, when the Scion does need to roll Climb, he is allowed to take ten, even if he is threatened.
    Last edited by masterstalker2; 2012-05-04 at 11:57 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171

DR 5/Sonic or Fire, at level 5, that seems a bit overpowered. For starters, it should be DR 5/Sonic AND Fire, and it should be gained at level 10 if anything.
    I say this is because the Prestige Class by Paizo (makers of Pathfinder), the Stalwart Defender, gets DR 5/- at level 10, and you need to have a BAB of +7 to just start taking the class, which is level 7 for Fighters. That means that they Stalwart Defender would have to be level 17 to get DR 5/-.

Also, I suggest adding to Step of the Web that, when the Scion does need to roll Climb, he is allowed to take ten, even if he is threatened.
    Actually it is meant to be Sonic or Fire. This means its Damage Reduction can be bypassed by Fire or Sonic Damage. Also when I reach the Damage Reduction section in the mechanics I planned to add this:
    This Damage Reduction only applies while Embracing Carnage.

This means that it not only can be bypassed by one of the most common forms of damage, but also using that form of damage takes away its damage reduction, its weapons, and wall walking.

But I might move it back.

Also Step of the Web makes it so you don't need to make Climb checks. So that would be redundant.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry, haven't read the vast majority yet and I apologize if I'm missing an exception to the rule here, but Damage Reduction doesn't apply to energy damage so DR/Sonic or Fire is the same thing as DR/-.

Edit: Also, don't overestimate the worth of Damage Reduction. A piddling DR 5/- is a joke in the long run and even DR 10-15 only partially helps against dedicated melee attacks.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-05-05 at 01:40 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post
    Sorry, haven't read the vast majority yet and I apologize if I'm missing an exception to the rule here, but Damage Reduction doesn't apply to energy damage so DR/Sonic or Fire is the same thing as DR/-.
    Never read that rule before. I've fixed the table to reflect this.

Also, don't overestimate the worth of Damage Reduction. A piddling DR 5/- is a joke in the long run and even DR 10-15 only partially helps against dedicated melee attacks.
    Thats how I was thinking when I orginally made it DR 5 at level 5. IMO if you can't deal more than 5 damage at fifth level, thats kind of pathetic.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

Never read that rule before. I've fixed the table to reflect this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder SRD
    A creature with this special quality ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks. Wounds heal immediately, or the weapon bounces off harmlessly (in either case, the opponent knows the attack was ineffective). The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities.
    There ya go.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Milo, I suggest adding to the Step of the Web ability that, when the Scion does need to make a climb check, he can reroll it if he fails and he can also take 10 on it.

26. - Top - End - #176

Milo, I suggest adding to the Step of the Web ability that, when the Scion does need to make a climb check, he can reroll it if he fails and he can also take 10 on it.
    When will it or Spider Blood Assassin need to make climb checks?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Diagonal slopes (yes this is a joke), difficult terrain on walls or ceilings. Would you count climbing rope?

28. - Top - End - #178

Diagonal slopes (yes this is a joke), difficult terrain on walls or ceilings. Would you count climbing rope?
    it need not make Climb checks to traverse a vertical or horizontal surface (even upside down) or slopes.
    As for the rope. It would use your climbing speed.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I think that having Embrace Carnage end when the Scion takes Sonic or Fire damage is a bit overkill, which can force the Scion to use a swift action every turn to use Embrace Carnage when fighting a creature that uses sonic or fire attacks.

I suggest changing it from Embrace Carnage being ended upon taking any fire or sonic damage at all to having Embrace Carnage ending upon taking 'X + Scion level' sonic or fire damage. It makes it a bit more balanced, because, from what you currently have for it, one creature that deals fire or sonic damage can just use one attack and then other nearby creatures can attack the Scion, who will no longer have his AC bonus or his DR X/-, and he will lose Step of the Web when hit, meaning that if he is on a wall or ceiling, he will fall and take damage.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I suggest raising the amount of damage needed for Embrace Carnage to be ended, as a Scion fighting a regular encounter with an enemy that does fire or sonic damage, that enemy would easily be able to do more sonic/fire damage than the Scion's level, meaning that it isn't exactly useful to have that unless the Scion is going against a low-level, weak creature.