New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Pathfinder Grab Bag Competition Chat Thread

I mean the one from Fear Itself, it's called the Iron Destroyer since it looks like the Destroyer, the Asgardian weapon (the drone that attacked Thor in the movie Thor).

For the Hulk-Buster, I have the Scion-Buster, through I'm thinking about renaming it Venom-Buster, Tarrasque-Buster, Dragon-Buster, or something similar.
    "I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it" - Edgar Allen Poe

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey all, been sick as a dog last few days.

I'll be doing run downs tomorrow. @.@

Edit:

@Master: I know what the Destroyer is.

Tony Stark has just had two armors that looked like the Asgardian Destroyer; his Thor-buster armor and his Fear Itself armor.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-05-22 at 02:35 PM.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, here's the first rundown and we're kicking it off with the Tainted Scion of Venom!

• Is that pulled directly from a Venom quote? Because there shouldn't be an apostrophe s after Assassin.

Fluff
    • Should just be an s after Assassin, not apostrophe s.
    • You want "there" not "their".
    • You either want "there", signifying that a price existed or you want "theirs was a high price" signifying that the ooze had a price and then quantifying the gravity of it.
    • You either want "fed", since the sentence structure isn't talking about an individual ooze, but them as a whole or you want to pluralize ooze.
    • Ooze isn't a proper noun, so it should be capitalized.
    • Your use of their in "their minds" doesn't specify if it means the Symbiotes, the Spider-Blood Assassins or both.
    • You might to reword this sentence to be something more like "twisted their host's minds, plummeting them into a state of murderous rage in order to sup a more nourishing meal."
    • There should be a comma after free will.
    • I think "They became the Tainted Scions of Venom" may be a sentence fragment and if it isn't, something like "The who embraced the Symbiotes were changed, becoming known as "The Tainted Scions of Venom"."
    • I think a semicolon would be more appropriate after "Symbiotes" than a comma.
    • I would reword the sentence to be more something more like, "The Tainted Scion are completely new beings, gestalts of the person they once were and the Symbiote attached to them."
    • And isn't necessary before amalgam.
    • It should be "host's" not "hosts".
    • Symbiote should be capitalized since it's a proper noun.

Role
    • It should be "strikes" not "strike".

Alignment
    • A semicolon would be more proper than a comma after "others".
    • I'd reword it to say "can hold back these urges".

Allied Memory
    • It should be "Carnage, a Tainted Scion of Venom" not " Carnage Tainted Scion of Venom".

Embracing Carnage
    • There should be a comma after "Swift action".
    • It should be "willingly ending it" not "willing end it".

Weapon of Agony
    • It should be "Carnage, a Tainted Scion of Venom" not " Carnage Tainted Scion of Venom".

Phage
    • It should be "and" not "an".

Web of Blood
    • It's "vertical" not "verticle".

Ok, that's all the grammar stuff for now.

There are some things I want to talk about with this class, but I need to wait for it to be complete before I can really jump into it.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-05-23 at 02:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Next up is the rundown for the Wasplings!

I don't see any grammatical errors, so moving on.

• Technically Psionics Unleashed is a Third Party publication and Paizo's staff have come out and said that's not their plan for how they'd make psionics (if they plan to make psionics at all), but I'll let it fly since it's on the SRD. But shouldn't Wasplings have the Psionic subtype?
    • Isn't Small too big? I mean, wouldn't these Fey serve better as really small things that can grow big or normal sized things that could shrink small instead of a kind of small thing that can go both ways?
    • Holy crap that's a High Charisma score. Reasoning behind this?

I'll probably have more to say when this entry is more complete.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Finally, rundown for the Titan of Steel

I'm going to forgo a grammar look over because I think a mechanics overview is more important right now.

• Really minor nitpick, but I think it's kind of gauche to actually use an existing character as a member of your homebrew class. It's a personal taste thing for me and while I have nothing against attaching quotes from existing fictional characters for homebrew, it just feels like making a Drow TWF Ranger name Rizzt Rourderan to me. But as I said, really minor thing, feel free to ignore it.
    • You're missing most of your class features and I find your split HD a very awkward thing. Why not just have a flat HD and then have a boost to survivability while wearing your armor?
    • Flight of any kind at level 1 is a big, big no no. Especially with any kind of ranged attack. Next to absolutely nothing will be a threat to someone who can just sit safely out of range and pelt everything to death and you trivalize a lot of things.
    • I would highly suggest you make this into a Crafting based class and look at varying 3rd party and 3.X classes (like the Artificer) for ideas.

I'll have more to say when this class is more complete.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

That's it for the rundowns.

There's 8 days left in the competition, so you guys may need to kick it into overdrive to have your stuff done and ready by the end.

I know that it's my fault for being mostly AWOL for this competition and I'm really sorry for that. I feel absolutely terrible for all the things that have happened and come up and I'll try my best to have a larger presence for the rest of this competition and for next month's.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-05-23 at 02:21 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Thank you for the suggestions, and the thing about flight at level one, it's suppose to be more like a boosted jump, like you see near the beginning of the first Iron Man movie, I'm going to give it a lot of limits though, probably with a chance to malfunction, including having the armor break and the ToS having to repair it and/or taking up a decent amount of Armor Power. Also, they will not be able to use their ranged weapon while using the level one flight jump, because, if I were to allow it, they would only hit if they scored a natural 20 since it would be near impossible to aim like that. The jump will also have a limit on how many times it can be used per day, mostly limited by the Armor Power score.

Also, about the mechanics and class features, I'm still coming up with things, but I would like suggestions for it to prevent it from being overpowered. Though, I'm planning on having the ToS focus on the Upgrade Packs and the Armors that come with it as the main ability, similar to how a Rogue has Rogue Talents and a Ninja has Ninja Tricks.

The Upgrade Packs are sets of items that the ToS can choose items from to install into his armor, but can be taken out and replaced, though not quickly.

About the separate hit dice, I put it in because, to me, it makes sense that someone wearing magic-powered (or psionic-powered, or alchemy-powered) armor is going to be able to take more hits than someone standing around with no armor. I'm thinking about having it so that, when wearing the armor, the ToS takes the normal damage to his Armored health, while his Unarmored health takes 1/4, or maybe 1/2, of the damage his Armored Health takes.

Thank you Troll Bräu for taking a look at it, I'm hoping to have it complete, but suggestions are needed and are welcomed by me.
    Last edited by masterstalker2; 2012-05-23 at 04:26 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masterstalker2 View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions, and the thing about flight at level one, it's suppose to be more like a boosted jump, like you see near the beginning of the first Iron Man movie, I'm going to give it a lot of limits though, probably with a chance to malfunction, including having the armor break and the ToS having to repair it and/or taking up a decent amount of Armor Power.
    Then make it a jump instead of flight?

Also, about the mechanics and class features, I'm still coming up with things, but I would like suggestions for it to prevent it from being overpowered. Though, I'm planning on having the ToS focus on the Upgrade Packs and the Armors that come with it as the main ability, similar to how a Rogue has Rogue Talents and a Ninja has Ninja Tricks.

The Upgrade Packs are sets of items that the ToS can choose items from to install into his armor, but can be taken out and replaced, though not quickly.
    As contest host and final judge, I can't really suggest past what you could look at to guide and inspire you. I can review what you've already done, point out flaws I see and make suggestions for changes and additions, but I can only do this after the fact. I can't help you build your initial entry, sorry.

About the separate hit dice, I put it in because, to me, it makes sense that someone wearing magic-powered (or psionic-powered, or alchemy-powered) armor is going to be able to take more hits than someone standing around with no armor. I'm thinking about having it so that, when wearing the armor, the ToS takes the normal damage to his Armored health, while his Unarmored health takes 1/4, or maybe 1/2, of the damage his Armored Health takes.
    While do-able, you should make it a straight class ability that modifies off a flat base hit dice. Otherwise it gets confusing fast.

Thank you Troll Bräu for taking a look at it, I'm hoping to have it complete, but suggestions are needed and are welcomed by me.
    You're welcome. Pity we don't have some impartial observers to help in that regard.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I'm not really impartial, since I'm working on an entry myself...

But I would definitely remove the Titan of Steel's two different Hit Dice. Even if you have an effect that pretty much works that way in the end, it's still off-putting to see it in the "Hit Dice" section. What I would do is just give the HD for the character when he's out of the armor (probably d6, maybe d8), but give the armor an ability where it has its own hitpoints that are used first, like temporary hitpoints -- I'd give it a flat 2 or 3 hitpoints each level, with a bonus from your Intelligence like Constitution does for normal characters. That way, a Titan of Steel is frail as a Wizard when they're out-of-costume, but tough as a Barbarian once they suit up (as long as they're decently smart). =)

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Thanks for the idea Midwoka, much better than what I had been going to do (1d10 with a -2 each level when out of armor), I'll put that in the armor section soon.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

*whistles while waiting on Ladybug and Milo to respond to their rundowns*

In other news, hitting serious ennui with my work on FableHeart. I'm really beginning to see the character options as I've made them thus far as being really boring and not fun to play. *sigh*

Which I guess is to expected when I'm modelling them off of Pathfinder class features but am trying to blend in White Wolf.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troll Brau View Post
    *whistles while waiting on Ladybug and Milo to respond to their rundowns*
    Sorry about not replying....

But either way, I think I've fixed all the grammer problems you've stated and now I'm trying to get it finished as fast as possible, so you can say what you want about the mechanics.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

13. - Top - End - #223

Troll Bräu can you give my class a rundown on the mechanics. I've finally finished the Tainted Scion of Venom, the Weapons of Agony, the Symbiote, the New Weapon Traits, the Tainted Spawn Template.

That was a long entry.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bah, I need more hours in every day to get around to all the things. And also, to probably play less PbP games...

Anyway, that is a very good point, they should have the [Psionic] Subtype.

I think Small sized is the right balance at this point; The Wasp is usually portrayed as being able to stand on someone's shoulder, and she's (well, he, at the moment...why do they keep killing Janet in all the continuities? Why!) only really goes microscopic occasionally. Small is also the same size as most of the Sprites, who are really the iconic "fairy" type Fey. I don't imagine Pixies as being any bigger than the head of a human, and they can fit into Small without issue.

Finally, it allows for a nice balance point for their Compression/Expansions. While Wasplings won't ever be able to dwarf buildings, they can get big enough to tower over most normal player characters at Large, while still being able to get down Diminutive.

And the high Charisma score is just part of being Fey. Out of all the "Pretty Much Nothing" that has been given about D&D/Pathfinder Fey, most of what I've seen has been ways of using their Charisma in different ways. Charming the Arrow, Beauty's Bounty and most of the Fey templates (Unseelie, Half-Fey, Feytouched) all give bonuses or ways of using your charisma for more and more things. If you think 28 is too high, I can lower it, but as Fey go, I think it comes with the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

15. - Top - End - #225

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Ladybug View Post
    I think Small sized is the right balance at this point; The Wasp is usually portrayed as being able to stand on someone's shoulder, and she's (well, he, at the moment...why do they keep killing Janet in all the continuities? Why!) only really goes microscopic occasionally. Small is also the same size as most of the Sprites, who are really the iconic "fairy" type Fey. I don't imagine Pixies as being any bigger than the head of a human, and they can fit into Small without issue.
    A small-sized person wouldn't be able to stand on your shoulder, small size is the size of a 6 year old human. Tiny size would make much more sense. Also Human heads are about the size of cats, cats are tiny size. If heads were small sized then we would be bobbleheads.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Ladybug View Post
    Snip
    Milo pointed out the size thing, so let me comment on Charisma.

My point is that powerful non-unique Outsiders don't even have Charisma that high.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

And here's a mechanics rundown on the Tainted Scion of Venom!

Damage Reduction
    What I would suggest is to do like the one Barbarian Archetype (I think it's Invulnerable Rager) does and give Damage Reduction equal to half their character's levels in the class. That way it scales with their play and becomes something they can look forward to every 2 levels. Keep it as a flat 5 when it's introduced but scale from there so you can still hit 15.

Phage
    Most people would find issue that this isn't limited by the HD of the creature devoured, but I don't really mind. My real problem with it is the wonky limit on it. Why did you make it "level+Fortitude Bonus" and not "level+Constitution bonus"?

Corpse Visage
    So it can use this to take the form of anything it's used Phage on before, with no limit?

Camouflage
    Why is this limited to Urban environments?

Focused Strike
    Not anything wrong with this mechanically, I just think the name is wonky for what it's supposed to be describing.

Gifts of Flesh
    Full stop here. This ability is potentially abusable and broken, especially when you open it up to lesser known Pathfinder material or backwards compatibility. I would heavily suggest that, if you keep it, you make an explicit list of what it can grant and then make a footnote that other selections are allowed with DM approval.

Also, did Venom ever do something like this?

Venomous Flesh
    Nothing wrong mechanically, just curious where Venom ties into this.

Skilled Camouflage
    If it's actually casting a spell, this should be an Supernatural ability, not an Extraordinary.

Vile Legion
    I feel this ability should have a listed range, even a ridiculously long one. Unless this can function cross-planar.

Bloodspikes
    They mention themselves as shields but never explain how or what armor bonus they give.

Tainted Spawn template
    • As Polymorph is a little much. Why not as Alter Self?
    • Odd ability modifiers are kind of weird and not usually used. Why this choice?

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh and before I forget to completely (like I did last month ), here is your sneak peak at next month's contest's theme!

A Homebrew by any other Name...

19. - Top - End - #229

[QUOTE=Troll Brau;13302141]And here's a mechanics rundown on the Tainted Scion of Venom!

Damage Reduction
    What I would suggest is to do like the one Barbarian Archetype (I think it's Invulnerable Rager) does and give Damage Reduction equal to half their character's levels in the class. That way it scales with their play and becomes something they can look forward to every 2 levels. Keep it as a flat 5 when it's introduced but scale from there so you can still hit 15.
    I would prefer Damage Reduction didn't scale that fast as this class has many features which are much more powerful are I don't to make taking dips in this class to powerful. Also if weakens the effect over all. 5 + (15/2) = 12.5. That is unless it put it at 2nd level and I think Damage Reduction at 2nd level is overpowered.

Phage
    Most people would find issue that this isn't limited by the HD of the creature devoured, but I don't really mind. My real problem with it is the wonky limit on it. Why did you make it "level+Fortitude Bonus" and not "level+Constitution bonus"?
    Fixed.

Corpse Visage
    So it can use this to take the form of anything it's used Phage on before, with no limit?
    It still has the limits of Alter Self.

Camouflage
    Why is this limited to Urban environments?
    Camouflage is generally limited to an environment, I've taken that out though.

Focused Strike
    Not anything wrong with this mechanically, I just think the name is wonky for what it's supposed to be describing.
    Couldn't

Gifts of Flesh
    Full stop here. This ability is potentially abusable and broken, especially when you open it up to lesser known Pathfinder material or backwards compatibility. I would heavily suggest that, if you keep it, you make an explicit list of what it can grant and then make a footnote that other selections are allowed with DM approval.

Also, did Venom ever do something like this?
    Its how Venom creates web, by assimilating the genetics of other creatures to his host. I'll add in restrictions.

Venomous Flesh
    Nothing wrong mechanically, just curious where Venom ties into this.
    Wikipedia's page on Symbiotes:
    The abiliy to produce toxins and venoms, such as in the toxin full bite Venom delivered to Sandman
    Skilled Camouflage
    If it's actually casting a spell, this should be an Supernatural ability, not an Extraordinary.
    Fixed.

Vile Legion
    I feel this ability should have a listed range, even a ridiculously long one. Unless this can function cross-planar.
    Added in distance of 10 feet for effect and 40 feet for hivemind style control.

Bloodspikes
    They mention themselves as shields but never explain how or what armor bonus they give.
    Read the trait they have, Shield State.

Tainted Spawn template
    • As Polymorph is a little much. Why not as Alter Self?
    • Odd ability modifiers are kind of weird and not usually used. Why this choice?
    Fixed.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

[QUOTE=Milo v3;13303809]
    I would prefer Damage Reduction didn't scale that fast as this class has many features which are much more powerful are I don't to make taking dips in this class to powerful. Also if weakens the effect over all. 5 + (15/2) = 12.5. That is unless it put it at 2nd level and I think Damage Reduction at 2nd level is overpowered.
    That's exactly when the Invulnerable Rager gets it's DR too. xD

It still has the limits of Alter Self.
    I meant the selection of identities you can assume. They never fade away from the Symbiote's memory?

Couldn't
    Huh?

Its how Venom creates web, by assimilating the genetics of other creatures to his host. I'll add in restrictions.
    If you mean the organic webbing, it didn't add or take anything, it just mimicked the webbing that Peter artificially made after reading his thoughts.

Wikipedia's page on Symbiotes:
    Ah. One of those powers a character showed once in a story that didn't matter in the long scheme of things. Comic books, what can ya do?

Added in distance of 10 feet for effect and 40 feet for hivemind style control.
    Sounds kind of short ranged for a capstone then.

Read the trait they have, Shield State.
    But what does that mean? I chucked it into the Pathfinder SRD and got no hits.

21. - Top - End - #231

That's exactly when the Invulnerable Rager gets it's DR too. xD
    Really.

I meant the selection of identities you can assume. They never fade away from the Symbiote's memory?
    I'll put in a duration thingy.

Huh?
    Sorry about that. I was making that post at the same time as making a Bard fix... What I meant to say was that I couldn't think of a better name at the time and then it kind of stuck in my mind, stopping me from thinking up new names.

If you mean the organic webbing, it didn't add or take anything, it just mimicked the webbing that Peter artificially made after reading his thoughts.
    Symbiotes use the genetic abilities of previous host and give them to their current ones to enhance them, which is why Venom can create organic webbing. This is based on that idea. Symbiote uses the genetic traits of the target, adds them onto its host.

Ah. One of those powers a character showed once in a story that didn't matter in the long scheme of things. Comic books, what can ya do?
    Its like Superman's Anti Evil Ray.

Sounds kind of short ranged for a capstone then.
    I've increased the radii.

But what does that mean? I chucked it into the Pathfinder SRD and got no hits.
    Scroll down to the bottom of my entry their is a list of new Weapon Traits.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Really.
    Yup. It gets DR starting at level 2 equal to half it's total Barbarian levels. Sure, it caps at 10 instead of 15, but I was just pointing out that there's precedence to tweak with.

Sorry about that. I was making that post at the same time as making a Bard fix... What I meant to say was that I couldn't think of a better name at the time and then it kind of stuck in my mind, stopping me from thinking up new names.
    It's fine. I'd suggest a name but I'm struggling to wake up right now.

Symbiotes use the genetic abilities of previous host and give them to their current ones to enhance them, which is why Venom can create organic webbing. This is based on that idea. Symbiote uses the genetic traits of the target, adds them onto its host.
    Was this a retcon? Because during Secret Wars Spider-man erroneously goes to a device he thought was the same as the one Julia Carpenter used to get her new suit. The device releases Venom and latches onto Peter, using his wishes for a similar suit to craft itself as such. And it also picked up on Peter's subconscious feelings of inadequacy after Reed had to cannibalize both his web shooters, thus making its own body mimic organic webbing.

The ability is fine with limitations, I'm just trying to pin down where in the lore it's sprung from.

Its like Superman's Anti Evil Ray.
    Yup. xD

Scroll down to the bottom of my entry their is a list of new Weapon Traits.
    Ah, that explains it.

23. - Top - End - #233

Yup. It gets DR starting at level 2 equal to half it's total Barbarian levels. Sure, it caps at 10 instead of 15, but I was just pointing out that there's precedence to tweak with.
    Wont that make it at least slightly overpowered in addition to their already powerful abilities

Was this a retcon?
    Yep, genetic traits or something is how it works with the movies. I think. I haven't actually watch spiderman 3 because of friends telling about how its bad.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Wont that make it at least slightly overpowered in addition to their already powerful abilities
    Not really. You already have them getting DR 15/-, I was just suggesting spreading the rate out.

Yep, genetic traits or something is how it works with the movies. I think. I haven't actually watch spiderman 3 because of friends telling about how its bad.
    Well, that Peter also had organic webbing.

But that makes sense.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Great, I'm doing this with a bit of homework, and now I have to do it now, right after my birthday. I have to do most of my entry last minute, this will be fun, if you go by the Dwarf Fortress definition of it (google "Dwarf Fortress fun" to get to the wiki page for Losing). Wish me luck, I hope I can do it.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Also, about Venom in the movies, I think it works like in the comics (or how I think it works in the comics), where he takes the abilities of his original host (Spider-Man), and gives them to his new host. I'm guessing that Venom somewhat bonded with the webslingers also so he can use Tendril Swing.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, about Venom in the movies, I think it works like in the comics (or how I think it works in the comics), where he takes the abilities of his original host (Spider-Man), and gives them to his new host. I'm guessing that Venom somewhat bonded with the webslingers also so he can use Tendril Swing.
    It's more that copying Peter's powerset was always in the Symbiote's natural range of ability and it just uses the same template to screw with him.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

It saddens me, but I probably won't be able to finish the ToS before the end of the contest.

I wasn't able to get much done because of school and my birthday yesterday and my mom's birthday today.

It also doesn't help that I entered the contest a bit late.

It also doesn't help that I couldn't think of things and that I stayed up late playing Dwarf Fortress recently.

I'll probably make the ToS a separate forum thread when the contest is done so I can finish it.

Also, from what I can tell, the next contest is Pokemon, and I'll probably enter that, though I may be doing a Summer Camp program throughout the week over the summer.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

It saddens me, but I probably won't be able to finish the ToS before the end of the contest.

I wasn't able to get much done because of school and my birthday yesterday and my mom's birthday today.

It also doesn't help that I entered the contest a bit late.

It also doesn't help that I couldn't think of things and that I stayed up late playing Dwarf Fortress recently.

I'll probably make the ToS a separate forum thread when the contest is done so I can finish it.

Also, from what I can tell, the next contest is Pokemon, and I'll probably enter that, though I may be doing a Summer Camp program throughout the week over the summer.
    Don't worry about it.

Unless Golden finishes hers last minute, Milo wins by default since he'd have the only complete entry.

Though I wonder if I should have the contest just end with no winner when there are less than 3 entries.

Thoughts?

30. - Top - End - #240

If I win by default, could you determine whether or not it is at Pathfinder quality. If it is then I could still count as winning. If not then I don't get counted as winning.

EDIT: Also for my guesses on the next competition I think it will either be about plants or mimicry.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-05-30 at 08:24 PM.
    Show