Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TuggyNE's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Pondering turns of phrase
    Gender
    Male

    Default (Ex) Hypnosis ideas

    So, I had an idea for enabling characters to use hypnosis (of the mundane sort often attempted in our own world). I don't know if something like that exists already, though.

    If it doesn't, what would be a good form? A new skill seems rather suboptimal, since it requires a feat to be any good at it (Able Learner, IIRC); however, I'm not too sure what else to do. Perhaps a new base class, but that seems ridiculously excessive.

    Whatever form this takes, it's a mind-affecting extraordinary effect, and probably requires a good bit of time.

    Fake edit: maybe a subskill of Perform, with special rules for it like Profession: sailor has??
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

    Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" Use of gray may indicate nitpicking Green is sincerity

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Canadiadia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (Ex) Hypnosis ideas

    I know that Ravenloft had a hypnosis skill, in the Ravenloft Player's Handbook. It was used to help individuals who had failed madness saves, or implant suggestions. I think it was opposed by will saves, and you needed to make a bluff check to disguise your intent against unwilling targets. As long as you don't want it to be a combat ability (It took an hour to preform), it might fit your needs.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: (Ex) Hypnosis ideas

    What's the difference between a new skill and a new subskill? They both require the same number of skill ranks.

    I do like the idea of using it as a Perform subskill. It would save you the trouble of drawing up a chart to describe class compatibility.

    That leaves the rules. Maybe something along the lines of the spell Hypnosis, with penalties assigned by the number of targets?

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground
     
    TuggyNE's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Pondering turns of phrase
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: (Ex) Hypnosis ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotchland View Post
    What's the difference between a new skill and a new subskill? They both require the same number of skill ranks.
    Mostly this V
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotchland View Post
    I do like the idea of using it as a Perform subskill. It would save you the trouble of drawing up a chart to describe class compatibility.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scotchland View Post
    That leaves the rules. Maybe something along the lines of the spell Hypnosis, with penalties assigned by the number of targets?
    Yeah, that seems like a good starting point; also probably have some circumstance modifiers listed for various things like music or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

    Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" Use of gray may indicate nitpicking Green is sincerity

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •