New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default The New World (I know, I know, he isn't going to finish it) :)

First off, thanks to Rich for all the wonderful comics over the years. I've read through all of your comics countless times to relax at work, and they always bring me joy, even on the second or tenth or twentieth read. Bought all the books and all. Looking forward to the future, and, most important of all, here's hoping you a speedy and healthy recovery.

Now for my question: I really enjoyed reading through "The New World" posts - just finished reading them again, in fact. I enjoyed watching in real time (more or less) as a campaign world was created - it's a lot of fun observing the creative process in the way Rich presented it.

I understand that they aren't going to be continued. I wanted to know if anyone knows of anybody else who has attempted something like this, and can provide a link. Doesn't have to be a campaign world, of course - could be just a campaign, or an adventure, a dungeon, whatever. Anything really - just someone with a decent pedigree who is not just creating something, but intentionally presenting it in a way so that the reader can follow his thoughts during the creation. That make sense?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has suggestions!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The New World (I know, I know, he isn't going to finish it) :)

How do we know these aren't going to be finished? I thought they were just on hold while he healed like everything else.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Mostly, I think, because it's been years since he wrote the last section. The rumor (I don't think that Rich has ever confirmed it) is that he sold the rights for this campaign setting to WoTC, and he's no longer permitted to updated the setting, even if WoTC doesn't ever release it as a product.

If I don't have that right, I'm sure someone will correct me. :)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lasagna42 View Post
    Mostly, I think, because it's been years since he wrote the last section. The rumor (I don't think that Rich has ever confirmed it) is that he sold the rights for this campaign setting to WoTC, and he's no longer permitted to updated the setting, even if WoTC doesn't ever release it as a product.

If I don't have that right, I'm sure someone will correct me. :)
    Pretty sure you're conflating two different settings here. The settings submitted to WotC for the contest that ultimately produced Eberron are wholly owned by them, they've never been released to the public in any form incomplete or otherwise, and they likely never will be. The New World setting was never, to my knowledge, submitted to WotC and wasn't really meant for big-budget publication in the first place (in one of the articles Rich says he meant to distribute it himself, possibly as a .pdf). But it has been years since the "Barbarians" section was updated. I think it's just been dropped for now, where "for now" means "for the foreseeable future, and at the very least until all the Kickstarter stuff is done and probably until the online comic ends or approaches the end of its run".

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I've been on this forum for six years now and nothing new happened in that Gaming Articles section in all that time, except when some of the articles made by other people were removed. It's a pretty safe assumption that Rich is putting his full attention on OOTS since the focus of the site has changed over time. The likelihood of anybody going back to an old project this long after the fact is extremely low, much less somebody as busy and successful as the Giant.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

I'll just quote myself from another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gamera View Post
    If Rich had never created OotS, maybe he would have written The New World, Part 10 by now. (I know, I know, the strip is much more important. But Rich, if you ever want to take a break from the strip to tell us about organizations and their roles in The New World, I wanted to assure you that at least one person would read it.)