New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Halfling in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: OOTS Polls (feat. Favourite NPC Tournament)

Malack, no doubt there.

As much as I like them both, I'll have to say Tarquin, for his love of the dramatic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalrany View Post
    I like the Evil Overlord option. So do you think he read the list?
    Tarquin? He probably wrote it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    In the end, it doesn't matter who's right. Only who's left.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Firbolg in the Playground

EDIT: confused as to the question:
    I thought Tarquin was choosing between Nale and Elan
    Anyways, Tarquin will choose Malak's side.

And Xykon wins. No exceptions.
    Last edited by 137beth; 2012-05-27 at 08:28 PM.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tarquin will definitely side with Malack.

Xykon vs Tarquin is very tough. Xykon's contribution to the comic is much greater than Tarquin's, but he is also completely loathsome. Tarquin is actually quite likeable, and I love his attitude to life.
    The fish are watching.

4. - Top - End - #364

Tarquin will choose Malack over Nale.

And I vote for

5. - Top - End - #365
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

I really hope he chooses Malack, but for plot's sake, Tarquin will likely go with Nale because Malack is a frail, old spelslinger. he is like, destined to die for the plot.

The character poll is a REALLY tough choice . those are my two favorite characters. I think i vote for Xykon, because of plot-joke influence total.
    ´No, mister O-chul, i expect you to live, but with negative hitpoints`

6. - Top - End - #366
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'll just toss my false hope out there in that he would choose Malack, but I really have no idea. He'd probably pick Nale just to spite me.

As for the character poll... ...Xykon. No contest.
    Last edited by ThomasMink; 2012-05-27 at 03:25 PM.
    "Everybody's got a price." - 'The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase

7. - Top - End - #367
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Tarquin will choos Nale's side, he is evil.
    And Malack. Also why is there a picture of Xykon?
    Because it's currently a debate between Xykon and Tarquin - Malack was never in the NPC Tournament.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to think they really are very good friends, so Malack.

I have to go with , as much as I love both of them. Xykon has the advantage of having a really good prequel book, which I think makes him come out on top for me.
    Last edited by Cizak; 2012-05-27 at 06:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Malack - Tarquin.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #370

Malack, as I really don't see Tarquin ruining his entire plan to accommodate a son he acknowledges as a failure. That said, I doubt it will come to blows.

Tarquin. Xykon is funny, but as has been pointed out, he lacks a certain depth, going "pew pew pew" whenever he feels like it. It's just who he is, but I find Tarquin's ambiguous attitude a lot more interesting.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elfinor View Post
    He thought Nale was dead at the time, though.
    He had issued a bounty for Nale's capture, I don't think he thought Nale was dead, unless Elan told him Nale had been executed, which I don't remember.

12. - Top - End - #372

13. - Top - End - #373
    Barbarian in the Playground

Malack. Even though Nale's his son, Tarquin cares for Elan more, and he and Malack obviously trust each other.
    Tarquin. This was pretty hard, but in the end, Xykon is less likable than Tarquin.
    (Is it even necessary to say that everything I post in this thread is mostly, if not wholly, based on my personal beliefs?)
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel that Tarquin will side with himself and circumstance rather then with either, if that means having Malack and Nale work things out fine, if it means helping one against the other so be it, if it means having them both die I think he could live with that.
    In answer to the question I will say he would side with Malack as the more useful of the two (both in the immediate and long term).

For Tarquin vs Xykon?
    I have to go with Xykon.
    While both are obviously trying to make the world a better place I feel that Xykon has demonstrated greater commitment to this noble goal, and so deserves the prize.
    I also happen to find him to be an incredibly well written character who I feel could surprise me at any moment by revealing more knowledge then he is credited with without it seeming odd or forced, but also could demonstrate a lack of knowledge without it being a surprise.

15. - Top - End - #375

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    While both are obviously trying to make the world a better place I feel that Xykon has demonstrated greater commitment to this noble goal, and so deserves the prize.
    I also happen to find him to be an incredibly well written character who I feel could surprise me at any moment by revealing more knowledge then he is credited with without it seeming odd or forced, but also could demonstrate a lack of knowledge without it being a surprise.
    I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not.
    Last edited by Vahir; 2012-05-28 at 05:34 AM.

16. - Top - End - #376

Malack, definitely... and Tarquin's evil is more "refined" in my opinion, so I'll choose him.

Member of the Phyrnglsnyx Pronunciation Pact

PHYRNGLSNYX
    Fear-en-gil-sniks

[fyːrŋlˌsnɪks]

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Current avatar by Cuthalion. Thanks a lot!

17. - Top - End - #377

Assuming that he doesn't have some overly complex machination in the works that would allow him to both appease Malack and save Nale, I think Tarquin would side with Malack in the end.

And as much as I love Tarquin (and I do), I have to give this round to Xykon. I think people have forgotten just how cool Xykon is, as he's been in the background for so long. Tarquin has been in the spotlight a lot recently, and he seems all shiny and cool, but... yeah, Xykon is one of the complete renditions of a man who is just simply evil that I've ever seen in a fantasy story.
    Last edited by rgrekejin; 2012-05-28 at 12:00 PM.

18. - Top - End - #378

IMO he won't be on either side - Tarquin works for himself, and only himself. But make me choose between those two and I'd say Malack.

No contest. Tarquin's pretty cool, but so far, we've never seen him do anything even on the same league as Xykon is terms of pure epic evil badassery. Doesn't mean he can't or won't, but until he does, Xykon's paladin-death-ball and spoilery-SoD-actions take the prize here.
    !

19. - Top - End - #379

Malack because Malack and Tarquin are peers and their entire set up fails if a rift appears in their group. Nale has proven himself a liability to Tarquin over and over.

Tarquin is my choice here. I think he is a more personal villian than Xykon is for the order, his intersts are deeper, and his racket gives the comic a good complexity. Those interactions he has had also enhances other characters in a way only Redcloak and the Order themselves have.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

Malack.
    Tarquin.
    Spoiler: Quote(s)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    You're my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    I'll kill them! I'll kill all of them!
    Quote Originally Posted by FinnLassie View Post
    We're crashing Wombat's wedding! WITH AN ARMY OF WOMBATS AND BUDGIES.

"So whosoever is a hedgehog let him see to it that his wife is a hedgehog also, and so forth."

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vahir View Post
    I can't tell if he's being sarcastic or not.
    There was two separate parts in the quoted text, one dealing with me commending both characters, and one dealing with me appreciation of how the Giant had portrayed Xykon.

Both are fully honest and correct, and were not sarcastic in any way (how you could get sarcasm out of it is puzzling and if you can I would like it explained).

However the first section dealing with how both have a noble goal does have an exact wording element to it, which can throw some people.

22. - Top - End - #382

There was two separate parts in the quoted text, one dealing with me commending both characters, and one dealing with me appreciation of how the Giant had portrayed Xykon.

Both are fully honest and correct, and were not sarcastic in any way (how you could get sarcasm out of it is puzzling and if you can I would like it explained).

However the first section dealing with how both have a noble goal does have an exact wording element to it, which can throw some people.
    You stated Xykon is trying to make the world 'a better place', which is a strange thing to say - since Xykon is the comics major villain and currently is trying to release a beast of pure chaos to help him rule the world with an iron fist. I could swear you are referring to when you say 'Xykon' (RC wanting to make a better future for the goblins) - but is in no way trying to make the world a better place. He just wants to rule it.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vahir View Post
    Malack, as I really don't see Tarquin ruining his entire plan to accommodate a son he acknowledges as a failure. That said, I doubt it will come to blows.

Tarquin. Xykon is funny, but as has been pointed out, he lacks a certain depth, going "pew pew pew" whenever he feels like it. It's just who he is, but I find Tarquin's ambiguous attitude a lot more interesting.
    Good summation. I have to say ditto.
    Question: Malack
    NPC MatchUp: Tarquin
    Last edited by Kalrany; 2012-05-29 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Punctuation, thyn enemy be...
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snippy View Post
    is in no way trying to make the world a better place. He just wants to rule it.
    Which would be better from Xykon's point of view, and bettering the world is a noble goal.
    As stated there is an exact wording element in place for that section.

25. - Top - End - #385

ClericGirl

Which would be better from Xykon's point of view, and bettering the world is a noble goal.
    Going by the rules of 'exact wording', that's not the correct usage of 'noble' :p. Noble pertains to high social class or exalted standards of morality, neither of which are achieved by someone seeking to rule the world (unless they meant to better it, then it would qualify under 'exalted morality'.)

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    Going by the rules of 'exact wording', that's not the correct usage of 'noble' :p. Noble pertains to high social class or exalted standards of morality, neither of which are achieved by someone seeking to rule the world (unless they meant to better it, then it would qualify under 'exalted morality'.)
    I tend to use the broadest/narrowest possible definitions when using words as suits my stand at the time, however ignoring that and using your definition.

'Noble pertains to high social class' - Xykon is a high social class making his goal a noble goal, alternatively he is seeking to rule the world which would grant high social class which could be deemed as a noble goal.

'exalted standards of morality' - Xykon's morality is separate from the standard of his world, and as morality is subjective Xykon's morality can be considered to be exalted in relation (particularly as exalted can be a synonym for noble as was discussed previously).

Ultimately however I am using a 'noble goal' to be the goal of bettering the world, the intention or method of achieving that is not being reviewed in this context (though even if it were it could be debated).

27. - Top - End - #387

Yes, I thought that might be what you were saying. Because you left out the fact that he was making it better for himself, it sounded a bit confusing.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

Depends on how you define "better". Myself, I don't think Xykon ruling the world would be better even from his point of view. It would certainly be more fun and satisfying for him if he were to rule it, but I don't think he would call the world better. He knows exactly what he's going to be: A ruthless tyrant who won't show mercy to anyone unless he's amused by them. He knows he's an evil prick and enjoys every minute of it, so he probably doesn't think the world would be "better" from having him as a leader, but it would definitely be fun for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

29. - Top - End - #389

Daemon

Malack.

Tarquin^2.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

I'm going to go against the trend here and say Nale -- I like Malack, but I think Tarquin's probably dumb enough to side with Nale. Well, he pretty much already did, actually.

And I'll put a very emphatic vote in for . Tarquin is just an obnoxious, pompous, sanctimonious nobody, whereas Xykon is ghastly but funny. No contest.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark