New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS Polls (feat. Favourite NPC Tournament)

YES X Redcloak
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ettin in the Playground

I vote that they will show up directly in the comic (in panel, flashback, etc), whether they show up to the order (or others) in person I would be less sure of.

I vote Xykon, Redcloak is great but really I do not believe that he could hold together the plot like Xykon does.
    Had Xykon been destroyed permanently in the Dungeon of Dorukan then I do not feel that Redcloak could have held the story together as a villain on his own, had Redcloak died then I have every confidence that Xykon could have continued just fine holding the story together just fine with a new chief minion.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Troll in the Playground

Yes.

Xykon.
    Though I consider Redcloak to be only 1% off from being in the lead.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

4. - Top - End - #514
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Had Xykon been destroyed permanently in the Dungeon of Dorukan then I do not feel that Redcloak could have held the story together as a villain on his own, had Redcloak died then I have every confidence that Xykon could have continued just fine holding the story together just fine with a new chief minion.
    had Redcloak died then I have every confidence that Xykon could have continued just fine holding the story together just fine with a new chief minion.
    Xykon could have continued just fine holding the story together just fine with a new chief minion.
    .....seriously?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #515
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yes, in that Qarr and Sabine's mere presence is sufficient to satisfy that the IFCC plays "any" part.

I can't believe the final is going to come down to Xykon vs. Blackwing. What an odd combination. So I'll vote for Redcloak again.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Colossus in the Playground

Because Redcloak vs. Blackwing would be less odd?

7. - Top - End - #517
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Now that's some interesting math right there. I know not all votes went to Nale or IFCC, but still, that seems off....
    Quiet, you

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    Yes, in that Qarr and Sabine's mere presence is sufficient to satisfy that the IFCC plays "any" part.

I can't believe the final is going to come down to Xykon vs. Blackwing. What an odd combination. So I'll vote for Redcloak again.
    Wow, you're that positive Blackwing will beat O-Chul?
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

9. - Top - End - #519
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    [
    That, in its way, is absolutely hilarious. I love it.

"I've been swimming in raw sewage. I love it!" is what sprang to mind when I said that, which makes me smile even more.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    .....seriously?
    Other then my poor sentence structure, yes.

Remember this was before true characterisation of Redcloak, had the goblin child saved the phylactery the story would have continued just fine without Redcloak*.

Xykon on the other hand was vital to Roy's quest, his relationship to his father etc, he also brings the attitude which I feel is needed to make Team Evil actually Team Evil, with Redcloak in charge it would be Team Reasonably Justified, which could provide a solid story I feel that the comic would lose some appeal if this were the case.

In brief Xykon is likeable, funny, has significant depth, loads of stage presence, and generally is the central figure whenever he appears in comic, Redcloak while an awesome character is simply to bland (I feel that this is intentional both from the Giant and from Redcloak himself) to trump Xykon in this (in my opinion).

*This is not intended as a slight on Redcloak at all, he is an amazing character but at the time he had not had enough development to hold the role of central Villain, where I feel that Xykon had.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Other then my poor sentence structure, yes.

Remember this was before true characterisation of Redcloak, had the goblin child saved the phylactery the story would have continued just fine without Redcloak*.

Xykon on the other hand was vital to Roy's quest, his relationship to his father etc, he also brings the attitude which I feel is needed to make Team Evil actually Team Evil, with Redcloak in charge it would be Team Reasonably Justified, which could provide a solid story I feel that the comic would lose some appeal if this were the case.

In brief Xykon is likeable, funny, has significant depth, loads of stage presence, and generally is the central figure whenever he appears in comic, Redcloak while an awesome character is simply to bland (I feel that this is intentional both from the Giant and from Redcloak himself) to trump Xykon in this (in my opinion).

*This is not intended as a slight on Redcloak at all, he is an amazing character but at the time he had not had enough development to hold the role of central Villain, where I feel that Xykon had.
    Before we knew about the true characterization of Redcloak, the Gate was still revealed. Unless the Giant wanted to completely scrub the story he invented the Gates for, and had them be a forgotten artifact from an overwritten plotline, the story would have eventually petered into nothingness, as Xykon would not ever be able to do a single thing with the Gates. Redcloak, meanwhile, could have gotten any other old mage. Or could have started dabbling in multiclassing himself, if he felt confident enough. Just because that part of the story wasn't revealed yet doesn't mean it wasn't in place.

And with Redcloak involved, it would still be Team Evil. Not quite as evil, but that's like saying an aircraft carrier is not as big as an oil tanker. Yeah, there's a big difference between the two, but it's still gonna outclass the hell out of the boats you typically see.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #522
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ultimately, I've decided to go with Redcloak for the tournament.

Something tells me O-Chul will win it all, though.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Yes, the IFCC is already participating with Qarr and Sabine.

And i vote for Xykon.
    "I am somewhat preoccupied telling the Laws of Physics to shut up and sit down."

14. - Top - End - #524
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yes.

And Redcloak! RC is awesome. And he
    Spoiler
    Show
    is planning on getting what he wants by threatening the gods.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

In brief Xykon is likeable, funny, has significant depth....
    What kind of depth does Xykon have? He's rotten to the bone, want's to rule the world because he's got nothing else to do and he kills or watches people getting killed when he's bored. I don't see any depth here. In fact, I believe that of all important characters from the Dorukan's Dungeon arc, Xykon is the only one who remained the same, one-dimensional character as was originally written.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Ultimately, I've decided to go with Redcloak for the tournament.

Something tells me O-Chul will win it all, though.
    Of the four remaining, O-Chul is my least favorite. He did win by the biggest margin in round 2, but that could be because of the weak competition.

17. - Top - End - #527

No. We'll see them emerge more overtly sometime before or during Gate 5, I think.

Tough, tough choice between these two characters. I guess I'll go with Redcloak because his cause is so much more... worthy? I can sympathize with Redcloak, evil as he is, which makes him just as terrifying as Xykon. Xykon is close though: he has unimaginable power, confidence in his abilities, and enough intelligence, creativity, and experience to back it up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestar27 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylphy View Post
    He's a WITCH!!! BURN HIM!!!
    Wait! We should make sure that he's a witch before burning him. Do you know if he weighs the same as a duck?
    My correct prediction.

I am currently working on a new (needless) OotS compilation, similar to this or this, pm me if you'd like to help.

Thanks to Serpentine for the excellent avatar!

18. - Top - End - #528

Yes, they will.
    is a great character.
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

19. - Top - End - #529

No

Redcloak

20. - Top - End - #530
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Thumbs up Re: OOTS Polls (feat. Favourite NPC Tournament)

#857 - The Pit of Despair
    Will the IFCC play any role in the battle for Girard's Gate? Yes or No?

Given one of their representatives is present, I'll say yes.

Round 3, Match 1

[/QUOTE]

I'm sick of this anti-villian crap.

21. - Top - End - #531

Yes and Redcloak.

By a large margin he's my favorite villain, possibly even my favorite character. I don't even dislike the other villains, I just really, really like RC.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Sabine Qarr and the Linear Guild are already playing, so I take the question as if the three gentlemen will directly enter the arena, and I say no. Maybe the will after the battle is over, but they would have no gain in fighting every part in the battle from the beginning since nobody is waiting for them.

Redcloack is a great character and has a high value to me, but Xykon is priceless.
    Was vernünftig ist, das ist wirklich; und was wirklich ist, das ist vernünftig. (G.W.F.H.)

23. - Top - End - #533
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, the IFCC will play some role here. I don't think the Giant would have a hugely significant new villain faction like them sit out the entire story arc.

And Redcloak. Xykon's funny, but Redcloak is the better character.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

24. - Top - End - #534
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think that the IFCC will play a role. I think they almost have to in some form; otherwise it makes little sense for Quar to even be around. Now, I am not sure if it will be to mess with the Order or Sabine, or directly with the gate. We have not heard what their plan for the gates is, you know. It kinda depends on a number of factors as to what role they play, or the extent that they play it, but I do not think that this arc will end without them somehow.

And... I am kinda torn between the two for very different reasons. I am leaning towards Redcloak, though. I am not one who finds the lack of a significant back-story compelling, so that gives the edge to Redcloak. However, that is not to say that Xykon does not have potential for more, but that development has not come to me. Both are pretty evil. I am just waiting for the chance to see this match-up in comic! Because you know it is headed there, eventually.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

25. - Top - End - #535
    Halfling in the Playground

Yes,

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't really make up my mind on the first one. On one hand, it'd be a bit weird if they didn't show up until the final gate, but on the other hand, it seems too early now. I'll have to leave this one blank.

I will, however, vote for Xykon. Both of them are great villains and it's true Redcloak might be deeper with a more filled out backstory, but when Xykon gets bad ass, he gets really bad ass. You don't want to piss Xykon off. You don't want to piss Redcloak off either I guess, but you can still trade snippy insults with him. When Xykon gets mad, you tremble in horrible defeat as the powerless maggot you are. Redcloak is more serious all around and maybe that makes him the better villain, but Xykon's serious moments make him the more enjoyable character for me, and are just too good to not give him the win.
    Last edited by Cizak; 2012-07-04 at 04:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

27. - Top - End - #537

Directly, no.
    Indirectly, they already are. They've affected V on the OOTS side and they've got Qarr and Sabine on the LG side.

Redcloak would get curb-stomped by Xykon, and he knows it.

28. - Top - End - #538

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Grail View Post
    Directly, no.
    Indirectly, they already are. They've affected V on the OOTS side and they've got Qarr and Sabine on the LG side.

Redcloak would get curb-stomped by Xykon, and he knows it.
    You didn't answer either question It's not who would win in a fight, it's who you like more.

Also, protip to all; When I tally votes, I don't count 'if the question means this, then yes, but if not, then no'. You decide what the question means and answer appropriately.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

No, it's getting crowded enough as is.

And

Xykon. Sure, redcloak is useful and intelligent and has motivations beyond trying to alleviate boredom half the time. But Xykon has comedy! which makes his serious moments of sheer badassitude shine all the brighter. And taught V a lesson that I think s/he could make some use of.
    Last edited by kickassfrog; 2012-07-05 at 02:35 AM.

30. - Top - End - #540

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    You didn't answer either question It's not who would win in a fight, it's who you like more.

Also, protip to all; When I tally votes, I don't count 'if the question means this, then yes, but if not, then no'. You decide what the question means and answer appropriately.
    I did answer the question, maybe just a little too cryptic though.
    Xykon is who I like more.
    Hence the comment dissing Redcloak - "and he knows it".... but I can see how that could be read the other way too.

And yes, the IFCC will influence it, as I deem that they already have. Indirect influence is still influence.
    Last edited by Grail; 2012-07-05 at 09:19 AM.