New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS Polls (feat. Favourite NPC Tournament)

1. No Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. And sometimes a butt joke is just a butt joke.

2. Because he's an actual character in the comic, rather than having been a glorified recurring joke for 3/4 of his existence.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Yes. The corpse cannot lie, so either it be the case, or Girard had them raised to not be entirely aware of where it was, in which case it answers with the closest knowledge it has to hand.

Also, O-Chul. He's powerful and wise and friends with MitD. And he knows how to be a paladin without being Miko.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Buttcheeks poll -
    NO.

Redcloak vs. MiTD -
    MiTD. He's so lovable and I hope that he will finally realize what has been happening and rebel against Team Evil.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Eah... I guess it could be some cryptic clue, but I'm going to have to say no.

And between RC and MitD? Gah. I can't decide. Possibly my two favourite characters, and each because of their own individual traits.

EDIT: But for the sake of the poll, I'm goin to have to go with RC, for his depth and tragic-i-ness.
    Last edited by MyNameIsSecret; 2012-03-15 at 03:41 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

No (it was a cheap joke)
    and Redcloak--the one with depth.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't think the Gate is between any pair of buttcheeks. I think that the Draketooth corpse was being a smart-ass. (No pun intended.)
    So my vote is No.
    Also, I vote for . Yay for goblins!
    Last edited by MeanMrsMustard; 2012-03-15 at 03:49 PM.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

For the Gate, I say No - it's pretty clear the corpse is (intentionally) misinterpreting what "Girard's Rift" means.

For the second question, I'll tentatively go with Redcloak, though I like the MitD better as a person.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Yes and Redcloak.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by kickassfrog View Post
    Yes. The corpse cannot lie, so either it be the case, or Girard had them raised to not be entirely aware of where it was, in which case it answers with the closest knowledge it has to hand.

Also, O-Chul. He's powerful and wise and friends with MitD. And he knows how to be a paladin without being Miko.
    O-Chul's match is later on; this is Redcloak v MitD

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think the butt joke is going to stay a butt joke, so NO

While I do like the growth we have seen in both characters, I'm going to have to go with Redcloak. Like both of them though.

11. - Top - End - #101

Default Re: OOTS Reader Polls

Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    When Durkon cast 'Speak With Dead' on a male Draketooth corpse, he politely informed the Order that the gate lay between Girard's buttcheeks. While this is probably untrue in a literal sense, do you think the gate will be resting in between Girard's buttcheeks in a metaphorical sense, or some other kind of semantic loophole which makes his answer technically true? Yes or No?
    Gonna have to go with no on that.

For our Bonus Question, I'm introducing the 'Favourite NPC tournament.' Basically I just went to the 'Number of Character Appearances' thread, picked the 16 most frequent non-pc characters, and put them in random order. Most votes goes through to the second round, standard tournament stuff. The first match up is...

Redcloak
    Monster in the Darkness
    MitD is a better person, but Redcloak's a more compelling character to me. Gotta give it to .

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

My vote goes for no and Redcloak :D

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

No for #845
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Reader Poll for #845
    When Durkon cast 'Speak With Dead' on a male Draketooth corpse, he politely informed the Order that the gate lay between Girard's buttcheeks. While this is probably untrue in a literal sense, do you think the gate will be resting in between Girard's buttcheeks in a metaphorical sense, or some other kind of semantic loophole which makes his answer technically true? Yes or No?
    Um, no. That's not even an opinion question, that's just a terrible misreading of the strip. That was the dead person using the wording of Roy's question against him, answering a completely different question than Roy intended by taking the word "rift" to mean "butthole." Technically true, but unrelated to the rift in reality that Roy was actually asking about.

For our Bonus Question, I'm introducing the 'Favourite NPC tournament.' Basically I just went to the 'Number of Character Appearances' thread, picked the 16 most frequent non-pc characters, and put them in random order. Most votes goes through to the second round, standard tournament stuff. The first match up is...

Redcloak
    Monster in the Darkness

Team Evil explodes! Have at it folks.
    , of course.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, and Redcloak.

16. - Top - End - #106

BlueWizardGirl

No, I think it's just an off-colour joke.

For favourite NPC, my vote goes to the MitD, because he so clearly has a good heart and is so naively sweet, and his interactions in particular with O-Chul are adorable. I'm very much anticipating seeing where his plot arc ends up.

Not that I don't like Redcloak as a character as well, but it bothers me a bit that, in a lot of media/fandoms, simple goodness is valued a lot less than perceived badassery.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Darn it. I leave for a few days and miss a poll. I would have totally said neutral.

Anyway.
    yes
    Its a really tough call and my gut was to say no. But I just like the idea of it being some kind of riddle.

And for the secondary poll.

I like both, but Redcloak wins because I find his elementals to be amusing. Also he is like a goblin Machiavelli.
    I like being asked difficult and interesting questions, even though sometimes the only answer is "I wish I knew".

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

No. The gate can't move.

He's a much better character. Murdering Tsukiko helped him a lot.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Um, no. That's not even an opinion question, that's just a terrible misreading of the strip. That was the dead person using the wording of Roy's question against him, answering a completely different question than Roy intended by taking the word "rift" to mean "butthole." Technically true, but unrelated to the rift in reality that Roy was actually asking about.
    There has been discussion (and in the 845 thread) on this, and the poll is here to 'gauge reader opinions' - since there haven't been any 'revelations' in the recent comic, that's what was chosen (I can't speak for oppyu here, but that's my guess anyway). And as you can see, many people have answered yes to this question. While I agree with you in saying that the joke is just a joke and there's no other meaning for the Draketooths ass humour, I still think it's a reasonable question to ask in the poll, and not a 'terrible misreading'.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

No. It's a punch line. It doesn't seem like foreshadowing as it isn't delivered like Rich usually delivers foreshadowing.

Gotta go with MitD.
    "You think you have won, do you? You are mistaken! I will not be defeated! I will destroy EVERYTHING and you BOTH will die! I hold the prophecy stone in my hands. When it breaks the DARK DRAGON will rise to destroy ALL of Silmaria. You cannot stop me. NO ONE can stop me. I AM YOUR DOOM!" - QFG V

I would be very grateful for any feedback on the homebrewed stuff I've created:
    The Warp Walker, The Glorious Berserker

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    Not that I don't like Redcloak as a character as well, but it bothers me a bit that, in a lot of media/fandoms, simple goodness is valued a lot less than perceived badassery.
    If you have read SoD, then you have seen the complex and quite tragic side to RC, and this is probably why he is liked, no because he is badass (which, considering his recent scene with Tsusiko, he definitely is).

22. - Top - End - #112
    Orc in the Playground

Reader Poll for #844
    Will Vaarsuvius be the first to tell the Order about Familicide?
    Yes: 8 - 47.05%
    No: 9 - 52.94%

Chaotic: 4 - 25%
    Lawful: 4 - 25%
    Neutral: 8 - 50%
    An intriguing result.
    Reader Poll for #845
    No, it's probably an intentional and mildly amusing misinterpretation. There is, I guess, a possibility of Girard sitting on top of the gate though.

Redcloak
    Monster in the Darkness

Team Evil explodes! Have at it folks.
    Redcloak.

Awesome Avatar by TinyMushroom

23. - Top - End - #113

AssassinGuy

Reader Poll for #845
    Going with yes, with a side bet that the gate is the statue of Girard with the rift between the cheeks.

And while I feel terrible that only one of these two can advance in the tournament, Redcloak is by far more compelling, even if I spend much more time wondering what MITD is than I do trying to work out RC's plan.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

No.
    Sorry, but I subscribe to the cigar theory.

Redcloak.
    While in theory MitD is supposed to be an ultimate weapon, we don't know what he can do, eps. since RC seems to be leveling and he is not. That, and I am not sure that MitD would know what to do in a mano-y-mano contest. I think that RC would likely pull out all the stops before MitD would, and that should give RC the win.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalrany View Post
    No.
    Sorry, but I subscribe to the cigar theory.

Redcloak.
    While in theory MitD is supposed to be an ultimate weapon, we don't know what he can do, eps. since RC seems to be leveling and he is not. That, and I am not sure that MitD would know what to do in a mano-y-mano contest. I think that RC would likely pull out all the stops before MitD would, and that should give RC the win.
    It's a favorite NPC contest, not a "Who would win in a fight?" type thing.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    It's a favorite NPC contest, not a "Who would win in a fight?" type thing.
    My apologies. Sleep deprivation seems to make me miss some very important points...
    In that case.... I think I still need to go with Redcloak. He is one of my favorite NPCs to read since he has a much more developed back-story and apparent character development. While I will probably like MitD more (he seems nicer and I like nice characters) should he get as much quality airtime, right now his development has been much more limited (in my opinion) and as a consequence is less interesting to me.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.The players were attacked individually on the road on the way to town by werewolves. To survive, they had to team up then and there without knowing anything about eachother (literally -- all character sheets were completed without other players' knowledge).

27. - Top - End - #117

ClericGirl

Reader Poll for #845
    Does Girard's gate lie in between Girard's buttcheeks, either literally, metaphorically, semantically or through some other loophole?
    Yes: 8 - 34.78%
    No: 15 - 65.21%

: 16 - 76.19%
    : 5 - 23.80%

Reader Poll for #846
    The Order just found a corpse. Is that corpse Girard Draketooth? Yes or No?

Round 1, Match 2

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yes, the corpse is Girard. The prospect that there's a twist to this is not entirely out of the question considering the corpse's deliberately cryptic wording and the illusionist thing... but I just don't see it as that likely.

For the characters, I'm tempted to go with Celia just to counteract her hatedom (which I am not among), but in the end I still do prefer Hinjo.

(Also, can you make those smileys bigger somehow? They were a little hard to make out compared to the forum-standard ones from last time).

29. - Top - End - #119

Yes it seems likely that the corpse really is Girard. If nothing else, we'd have to explain what the corpse could have meant by "Beneath his own feet" if it isn't.

And I'll take Hinjo.

Both these characters are not my favorites, but I don't hate them, either. They're just kinda vanilla, but at least Hinjo has a cool dog.

Edit: Oh man, I totally forgot! The joke about Hinjo's junk is the best joke in the entire comic! Definitely Hinjo.
    Last edited by rgrekejin; 2012-03-23 at 01:48 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

I see no reason to believe the corpse isn't Girard, given it fits the answer given by the Speak With Dead spell.

As for characters, eh, not a big fan of either, but I guess Hinjo will do.

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis