New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [IC] Welcome to Terminus [IC]

Terminus

Jewel of the West

Eddies of debris swirl in doorway alcoves. The smell of stale water and fresh fire wafts over you, carrying the unfamiliar scents of a wounded city from narrow alleys and lost homes. The sun is hidden behind a gray, overcast sky. Its heat doesn't warm the chill that's settled into your bones. You look around, and take note of the strangers nearby.

You are in a rundown part of the city. Lofts and brick-bare buildings line the narrow streets. Streetlights are a bit too low to the ground, spaced a little too far apart. This is an older neighborhood of the lightning-sprawl that became Terminus. Back when it was still Newport, before the city big-wigs chose the name Terminus to go on the maps, the districts of Brighton and Limpton were built. They were the last neighborhoods to get built in the traditional way, with dozens of engineers, consultants, architects, and laymen working endless hours to erect a new section of the city. After the Architects finished with the downtown core, they began sprawling out, erecting the dozens of smaller districts of the city- eventually surrounding Brighton and Limpton with newer, more efficient, and more expensive neighborhoods.

Brighton and Limpton also happened to be bordered by Newport Bay on their west side. The docks that functioned there were privately owned, home to arms dealers and traffickers for various substances and goods. Criminal safehouses littered the area, some taking up old, disused rail stations, others taking over the sprawling network of tunnels in the abandoned subterranean malls.

The intersection you are in is in ruins. Something destructive happened here. Craters and scorch marks, flipped cars and collapsed buildings. In the distance, when you can get a glimpse behind the smoke, you see a wall to the south; thirty feet high, made of the temporary blockade material Guardian is so fond of. Seems, at least, this part of the city is sectioned off, if not fully quarantined.

Your attention returns to the people in and around the crater...

[Ruth]
    One of you leans against a telephone pole: arms wrapped around her midsection, holding her cardigan closed, she looks around the ruined street in a daze. Her outfit is dirty, but intact; a dark blue jumpsuit with padding at the joints, featuring a white stripe spanning collar to waist. A hood rests around her shoulders, and a form-fitting domino mask sits by her limp hand. She picks it up, staring at it.

[Alice]
    She stands from her position in the center of the crater: the murky water around her ankles slowly clears, until an area half a meter across centered on her feet is vibrant and clean-looking. A cloud of dancing white smoke drifts around her, tendrils of it passing through her body like it isn't there. She is a bit older-looking than Ruth, but no more than a half dozen years. She is wearing a functional leather jacket with hardened pads at the elbows and shoulders, dark jeans, and riding boots. A cracked motorcycle helmet sits a few meters away, half submerged in the dirty water. No motorbike can be seen.

[Caleb]
    At the edge of the crater is another of you: a young man in a suit. His pant legs are mud-caked and his sleeves are shredded. One of his eyes is swollen shut, though he doesn't seem to have noticed; he blinks rapidly, rubbing at it, as if there was mud or water making his vision blurry and not a swollen wound. One of his shoes has been knocked off, and, after rubbing his face, he fishes it out of the grimy water and begins sliding his soaked foot into it.

[Clarissa]
    Not far from the suited man is a woman wearing a gold and Violet costume. Her hair and makeup are a mess, but otherwise seems the least distressed about her state and her surroundings. She scans the area, taking in the individuals and scene, obviously judging and assessing everything. Her eyes linger on the injured, suit-clad man a moment longer than the rest. She stands from her position at the edge of the crater with smooth, practiced dignity. Although the blowing wind is cold, you can all tell she's holding herself just rigidly enough to suppress shivers. A crown of gold and silver hangs at her hip.

[Anthony]
    A yellow ghostly man stands from an unseen position behind a ruined section of truck. Seven, fifteen echoes of him each stand a fraction of a second out of sync from the last, until finally a man takes their place. Youngest of those in the intersection, the man is lean and tall. He is wearing a tattered costume in black and gold, complementing the yellow, three dimensional shadow that telegraph his motions and follows in his wake. His face is covered by a domino mask with stylistic concentric circles on it. He is filthy, caked in mud and darker spots of dried blood, though he appears to have no wounds. His flickering yellow shadow moves before he does, leading the way as he follows it around the truck and to the edge of the crater.

[Devin and Mayara]
    On the near side of the truck from the flickering man are two people. Until a moment before, they had their arms wrapped around one another. One male, the other female. The man is tall and is wearing a dress shirt and slacks under a short-cut duster. One of his legs is twisted horrifically, facing the wrong way and bent at a painful-looking angle. The woman is in a costume of black and white. A full-coverage mask and form fitting body armor to match with the sinister design over the chest: that of a moaning skeleton or corpse. As they extricate themselves from one another, they glance into each other's eyes. For a frozen moment, they hesitate, before their gazes return to taking in their surroundings.

[Matthias]
    Laying with with his upper body propped up on a ruined section of building, one of you looks worse for wear. He has bruises on his arms and face, and a head wound that looked to have bled quite a bit. He is wearing functional cargo pants, dark boots, and a tactical vest. A helmet with broken infra-goggles and radio transmitter sits nearby. He looks bewildered until his eyes land on Alice- a momentary emotion comes over him, one of shock, almost fear- and then it's gone, the memory receding into the murky darkness of his mind.

[Tony]
    The last of you lays on the far side of the crater from the man with the swollen eye: he is wearing a white dress shirt, now stained and soaked, unbuttoned on top of a tee shirt that says "+1 Chain Shirt". His jeans are folded up at the ankle, and his windbreaker is a bright blue. A design on the back of the jacket heralds from a cult-classic Sci fi television show that was cancelled in its third season: two Mandarin characters, one of which looks like a ladder, in white and lighter blue.
    Last edited by cameronpants; 2016-10-22 at 11:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: [IC] Welcome to Terminus [IC]

Caleb stares at his shoe as though it possesses the answers that he's seeking.

. . . something wrong with my eye . . .

The shoe; a dark brown loafer rendered sodden and nigh-useless by the water. A waft of something burning passes through his nostrils unremarked. His brain seems to be picking up only one thought out of ten.

Gah! Cold.

Penny loafers, that's what they're called . . .

Why do I remember that?

Something . . . something someone said. Someone . . .

The shoe begins shaking through his limited field of vision. It takes him a moment to realize that his hand is trembling, and not from the cold.

Someone who? Someone . . . I don't remember . . .

I don't remember. Oh my God
    (with the G capitalized instinctively) I don't remember.

One blink of his eyes, and the world rushes in.

Caleb looks up, shoe forgotten. The crater, yes. People. People standing around, dazed. Like him. Fire and scorch marks. Something just happened.

The people . . . costumes. Some of them are wearing costumes. Capes. Heroes.

They'll know what to do.

His eyes focus in on the woman with the crown and the Lakers colors. Something about her tickles in the back of his mind, jogging the trace of a snatch of a memory somewhere that he just can't seem to reach.

Instinctively, he flings his senses out towards her.

Cold wind, but she's not feeling it. No, not responding. Something.

Calm. Looks in control. Alpha personality, like . . . someone. Someone I should know. Her? Maybe.

Looking. She's looking at me. She knows. She'll have the answers. She HAS to.

BLINK

He's standing in front of her now, brandishing his shoe and feeling his words pour out of his mouth.

"Ma'am, what happened? What the hell is going on???"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Clarissa blinked and noticed she was noticing things. Other people. Who? She doesn't know. Taking in the area she doesn't recognize it either. The things in it sure. A name. Terminus? End of the line. Clearly not. At least not yet. They were all still alive at least.

She feels uncomfortable. It's not the cold. Well yes, that too. But she knows how to handle that. Somehow. No her face and hair. And her head feels as if it's... yes, missing the weight of the crown. She ponders putting it on, but she'd like to fix her hair at least first.

Her thoughts on that matter are cut short a man she almost recognizes speaks to her. She gives him a friendly smile. Nothing odd about that for her she feels. Though it did seem to come almost unbidden.

He sounds alarmed. Reasonable. She speaks, hoping to calm him, "I am.... not sure." Ok, not a great start there but what could she has said really?

"Might I have a moment to collect myself?" She asks... though she's not asking and simply does so.

She gives another look around. She only feels some recognition of one other person and holds back a frown. They all look confused and alarmed. She can tell just by looking that some of them have powers like hers. Maybe they all do. Best to not agitate anyone without cause. Better to be friendly, not something she feels she has trouble with. Not that she fully trusts that feeling given the massive gaps in her understanding of the situation and herself.

She walks over closer to the young man in the suit that spoke to her. She speaks not just to him, but loudly and clearly enough for the others to hear as well, "I'm afraid I do not know what is going on. I believe we're suffering from memory loss of some sort. Given how everyone else is looking I'm afraid that may be true for all of us. If anyone has any information, please say so." Finished speaking for the moment she turns to look each person in the eye, assuming they look her way, keeping a calm patient smile on her face and making sure to stand straight and confidently. While she does so, she makes an attempt at fixing her hair.

"Hopefully my bearing and tone is enough to keep them calm. Or at least calmer than they might be if someone asked the same by screaming out demands for information." she thinks to herself.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

For the thousandth time, WAKE UP!!!

Ouch. What the? Where am I?

A crater.

Oh. While I'm asking, WHO am i?

Your name is Tony.

And you are....?

Aurelius.

Do you know what's going on?

Yes.

Care to fill me in?

No. Open your eyes, the others are stirring.

Others? Am i in danger?

I will protect you. Get up.

Tony groans, slowly pushing himself up and standing. He looks over the others with clear blue eyes and whistles slowly. "Woah.....TPK. You guys alright?"

5. - Top - End - #5

Matthias groans as he pushes himself further into a sitting position. Oh god I hurt... my.. head, that's the word, must've cut it... don't remember when He reaches up to probe the wound, and his fingers pause when they don't encounter a helmet.

That's bad. Why is that bad? ...should have been something there. A helmet? There's one right... there.

He lets out a little grunt as rises to a crouch and gropes for the helmet, fumbling for a moment to put it on. Bracing himself slowly, he stands against the wall for support, scanning the crowd.

Suit guy, crown girl, and the kid are okay... how do I know that? No, save that for later. Gotta check the rest. Golden boy's a cape, and there's a serious injury with the guy by the truck. Gotta, gotta... I should know this. Why don't I- at which point, Matt turns his head and spots Alice, standing in the water. [DANGER]What's she doing here? Immediately, on instinct, eight spindles fly out at her (all set to Dampen). Wha - why did I do that? Okay, so I should be safe from her...how do I know that? And who is she? Gotta figure that out later... (I'm more than 24 feet from you; no noticeable effect on Ruth)

As Clarissa speaks, Matthias largely tunes her out to use his remaining two spindles to check who's a cape in the crowd, worry crossing his brow under the helmet as he slowly realized that they're all powered (Everyone: Slight moments of [Dampen]; no outward/inward effects on you.) He then recalls his 'testing' spindles back to their normal orbits. Looking to Clarissa, he coughs out, Dunno who you are, *cough* but I don't think you're bad. Any chance you're trained in helping people? The guy over there - gesturing at Devin, needs help pretty bad, and I if you're collected enough I could use an assistant - I think I at least know enough to, *cough*, what's the word, immobilize the leg.

After he finishes talking, Matt limps over to where Devin is lying on the ground, and begins checking his injuries, not entirely sure how he's doing it, but working on autopilot. Okay, no head injuries, no obvious bleeding from the arms, head, neck, or torso, other leg looks okay. Looking into Devin's face, he asks, Sir, can you *cough* hear me? Matt holds up three fingers in front of Devin, and continues, Can you tell me how many *cough* fingers I'm holding up? *Cough* you're leg's pretty bad - I'm gonna try to immobilize it. Please don't *cough* try to move; you might make it worse.

Matt's gonna limp over to where he can find a short (and mostly straight) piece of metal pipe or rebar. Coming back, his hands move to his vest, removing a length of thin fiber on their own accord Huh, didn't know I had that and removing a small knife from a side pocket. Or that. Cutting a few lengths of the fiber - with difficulty, apparently it's tough - he lays them out and waits to see if he can get assistance.
    Spoiler: Readied Action
    Show
    If no one steps up, he'll do it himself, or if someone comes to help he'll ask them to gently lift the leg so he can slip the thread underneath it and splint it properly.
    Last edited by Dromuthra; 2016-12-14 at 10:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't believe I'm an expert, but I don't think I'll be a hindrance." Clarissa replies, basing her response just on gut feelings, and comes over to assist Matthias, though she's still keeping an eye and ear on the others for their replies.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2016-10-23 at 03:58 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Together, they manage to splint the leg, with Matthias showing her where to place her hands to lift the leg. ...And gently put your hand here, no, a few inches up; don't want to pressure the artery...Yes, that's it, just hold it for a sec or two, almost done, there... Okay, let's gently lay the leg back down.

Wiping blood from his hands as best he can, he turns to face her. Appreciate the help - so far as I can remember, which isn't much, I'm Matt. And you might as well know - we're all capes.

Not sure whether I should have told her that, but I don't think she's bad... not friendly, exactly, but... solid? A rogue perhaps. Rogue... that word means... a neutral cape, I think? Yeah, that's right. He looks up and down at her ostentatious costume. Well, someone's got money. Interesting crown symbology. Wonder what she does - too risky to weaken her though; she'd notice.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Okay. New place. The Echoes are still singing so still have an out.

Anthony walks out from behind the broken vehicle and towards the wounded man. A shudder of familiarity passes through him as he looks at the woman with the crown but it passes as quickly as it came.

"Hello there!" He calls out. His Echoes ahead of him predict a wave and his body follows along. "Is everything alright down there?"

He moves towards them, his future shadows cutting a path through the wrecked surroundings. He looks around and sees that, so far, these two are the only ones to work together.

Unfamiliar surroundings combined with a distinct lack of memory. Allies a priority. Must not stand out as potential threat. Try to work as a stable force in this area to improve chances of survival.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Anthony's Echoes start to branch out, searching out possibilities of action. The Echoes flourish infront of him, spreading out a little wider than they had before.

A quick adjustment to the leg. A potential Echo down the line of bandages. Medical supplies too far but maybe with the right props...
    Last edited by Priest_Of_Banjo; 2016-10-23 at 01:04 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

RedWizardGuy

For a while, Ruth had been convincing herself that all of it was real. The ruined city that stood around her on all sides, shattered and burning. Real. The dirty and ragged costume that she wore, a mark of a life that she couldn't remember, even with the word cape screaming itself into her ear in the back of her mind. Real. The other people splayed about all around her, some wearing costumes, others not, some standing still, some proactive. Real. And then there was the domino mask that she stared down at, in her hands since she'd gained consciousness as if they'd always been connected together. She was still working on that one.

This is all wrong, her mind registered vaguely. She wasn't supposed to be here. None of them were. Something bad had happened, the three-story high barricade on the horizon confirmed that fact. "We're not... We're not supposed to be here," she said out loud, to no one in particular. "Can't... Can't you feel it? This is all wrong. All wrong."

It was cold, and Ruth shivered in her thin cardigan, pulling it tighter around herself. She wished someone could take her in their arms and make her feel warm and safe, but it didn't seem that any such person was forthcoming. So Ruth pushed away from the telephone pole, an effort of will like she'd been glued to it, adhering the mask around her eyes as she did so- it belonged there, for better or for worse. It was only then that she really noticed the injured man with his leg twisted, and the others clustered around him. "Excuse me. Is everyone alright?" She asked, already dreading the answer.
    My Homebrew
    Healer: Pathfinder remake of the 3.5 class of the same name. Light, restoration, and more positive energy effects than you can shake a cleric at.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Caleb follows Clarissa in a daze, watching as she and the . . . soldier-doctor-looking guy splint the leg. He makes no move to help, but hovers anxiously as they do it.

Memory loss all around, in this . . . place. Had they been on a bus? Were they in an accident? Maybe they'd all hit their heads in the same way?

And then the doctor guy says that everyone here is a cape and his heart sinks right into his stomach.

Cape stuff . . . Oh god . . .

"I, uh . . . ." he starts half-sheepishly, not knowing how to refer to his powers exactly, "I can take a look around and go for help. Just . . . one sec . . ."

He throws his senses to the roof of the highest available building, casting them around from there to try to find help, or Guardian forces, or some indication of what the **** is going on . . .

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Alice looks around the crater taking note of things

Helmet is done for, I guess it was mine...

People seem mostly okay, can't be too careful though with those two around (How do I know that? Who are they?)

They seem to be helping the hurt guy, probably should watch him too.

She starts walking around the crater some, checking for anything that'll remind her of why she's here.

"Just to be safe guys, I'd stand a little back from me. I think this mist is eating stuff around me."

12. - Top - End - #12

Looking up at Anthony as he approaches, Matthias watches the shifting golden figments. He... moves though them, no - becomes them? Interesting... wonder if I've ever seen anything like it.

Well, unless you can produce a stretcher or antibiotics out of nowhe- Matt starts to say, and then stops as he spots a flicker with bandages. Is that... a thing you can do? Without waiting for an answer, he puts two spindles into Anthony, taking a wild guess.

When Ruth calls out, Matthias responds, I'm not great, one serious injury, broken leg - potentially the knee as well. Not about to bleed out, but could use medical attention as quickly as possible. Make sure you're okay yourself first.

Matthias looks at Caleb, starting to say Thanks, that would he be hel- and then stops, noticing that Caleb's body doesn't appear to be paying attention. Talking slowly, he asks, See anyone? Guardian would be preference, but emergency responders would be fantastic too. Failing both, if you can see a hospital or at worst vet center nearby?

He pauses to listen to Ruth, nodding at her statements. So she's dangerous - thought so.

Waiting for Caleb to look around, Matt calls out to the Tony, Hey, kid, can you grab the radio over there? pointing to where he was lying earlier. I *cough* might be able to hail someone for help.
    Last edited by Dromuthra; 2016-10-23 at 05:45 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

"I had assumed as much. I'm...." Clarissa responds with a shrug, suddenly feeling hesitant about saying her real name and not recalling her alias. For good reason when she examined the thought. They were all capes and not necessarily allies. "I'm happy to help." she finishes a bit awkwardly, noticing some of the others are panicking a bit.

She moves away from the man they assisted and looks to the others. In response to those asking to help she says, "I believe Matt here has a head wound if someone could look to that?" She takes a few more steps away to give anyone coming over some room to do as she suggested.

"I had wondered what was going on with that. Thank you for letting us know." she replies to Alice with a grateful smile.

She then looks at the man who said he'd "look around" and then... what? Passed out? Weird. Well no. Thinker? That sounded right.

She resumed fixing her hair while thinking on how to respond to the woman with the domino mask if she resumed panicking.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

[Caleb]
    Using your power, you manage to scout out a five kilometer area around your body in a few short minutes. You are about three kilometers from the water; the wharves are empty of viable vessels, and the near bay devoid of life. Further out in the water you see a few Guardian response vessels and the coast Guard taking wide, lazy circles around a series of bright orange buoys floating in the water.

The main thoroughfare you're on runs North to South. About two kilometers south, a massive black wall has been erected from the concrete wall by the bay all the way to a sixteen story apartment building two blocks east of your position. The wall picks up again on the far side of the building; you believe they've sealed off thus part of the city. On the far side of the barricade are groups of roving soldiers, carrying tinker-made weapons and wearing advanced, full-coverage armor.

Checking every room in every building in your range would take a long time, and you're not so comfortable leaving your body exposed to the strangers of the crater. You decide to do broad sweeps of the streets instead, checking routes and approach vectors instinctually.

You find something else as you're getting a lay of the land. Northeast of you, near the limit of your range, is a man standing in the courtyard of a gated community. Tendrils of black ichor spill forth from his mouth, hands, and stomach. They have sprawled across the courtyard, coating the cobblestone walkway and spackled walls with ropes and chords of vein-like tar. His mouth is distended, his arms twitching and reaching at various lengths of the squirming black strands.

Spoiler: Alice Flashback
    Show

The man in the army uniform stares at you from the leather chair. His breast is covered in little bars of color and badges with lines. You're no expert, but it looks like this guy's somebody important. He clears his throat and begins.
    "Whiteout; aka Alice Mori, public identity. I understand you have some questions for us. To begin, we believe your lack of involvement with the parahuman community to be an asset, especially out here. We've trained you for the last six months in the hope of using you to divert a foreseen event in which a lot of human and parahuman life is lost. You are, forgive the term, our secret weapon."
    He shuffles some papers around on his desk.
    "I am led to understand you have some... reservations about your assignment. Would you care to restate them for me?"

((Thematthew, you can respond to Alice's flashbacks in a spoiler in your next post.))

15. - Top - End - #15

PaladinGuy

Finally, bandages and gauze. Only took a dozen Echoes to do it.

Anthony listens to the crown chick and immediately looks over to the wounded man. The blood is more obvious now that he's actually paying attention.

Attempt to use wound as point of weakness. Do not isolate myself from others. Instead, play up competitor weakness and establish persona as clear and focused.

"Ah, jeez! Head wounds are nasty, my friend!" Anthony smiles as he quickly starts looking over the wound by moving his head.

It suddenly clicks in his head what the man was asking before Anthony came over.

"Oh, those things?" He gestures in sequence, giving off a weird strobe effect as he does so. "They're... useful when they behave. Anyway, let's see how much damage has been done here. Name's Anthony, by the way."

He looks over the wound again and then begins applying basic bandages to the wound. They don't really need as much as he's putting on, probably, but then again...

Bandages imply weakness and lack of care. Comparatively, should work in my favour if conflict arises between myself and him. Others may side with the apparently stronger player. Care to wound may help later in case of fights with others. Don't know how he knew we were all capes though. Own ability? No obvious activation. Hmmm...

"Yeah, sorta moderate damage there. I'd suggest bedrest but given where we are now..." He lets the unspoken statement hang in the air like a sword by a thread.

"So how'd you know we were all capes? I mean, I'm pretty obvious. But how about the Duchess over there? Sure there's the costume, but that doesn't mean it for sure." He smirks as he continues making sure the wound is wrapped tight in bandages.

16. - Top - End - #16

Bedrest? He needs immediate medical attention - uh, shoot, I think I should know the word, doesn't matter - to re-set the leg so it's the right way. We can't do that here, but we can try to put together a stretcher to get him somewhere. Seeing the work Caleb was doing, Matt nodded in approval. The bandages should help keep him stable and- wait, it's just a prosthetic. My head must be worse than I thought Turning to face Clarissa, he continues, I appreciate your concern, but I'd rather not remove my helmet until I can get to a Guardian hospital. No offense meant.

Looking back over to Anthony, Matt replies, As to the capes question - minor function of my power.

Spoiler: GM
    Show

So, currently empowering Anthony with 2 spires - not sure what effect that has. Also, I've had 8 spires in Alice for a bit now - what sort of power am I starting to develop?
    Last edited by Dromuthra; 2016-10-23 at 05:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Spire Powers
    Show

8 Spires in Alice:
    Reconstitution: you begin to develop a power to return objects and entities to a state they have previously been in the near past. This can repair shattered objects, return severed limbs, and various other miraculous recoveries. It takes unbidden attention and about thirty seconds of contact, and it is exhausting. At eight Spires, it takes twenty seconds to use it again if used on an object, and a two minute delay if used on a living entity.

2 Spires in Anthony:
    Object Locator: You begin seeing "pings", white echoes of light, coming off of objects in your field of vision within 5 meters. These pings change in intensity as Anthony shifts through his Possibility Selves. What the pings mean is unclear.

Spoiler: Alice Dampened
    Show

If Alice gets within 24ft of Matthias, her Aura seems to disappear. It's radius only extends inside her body. It takes roughly five times longer to recover after her focused attack use.

Spoiler: Anthony Empowered
    Show

You can create an addition four to six echoes at a single time, reducing the time it takes to find a particular echo by roughly 25%. Your echoes can now exert a small amount of influence on the world (~5% what you could).
    Last edited by cameronpants; 2016-10-23 at 04:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Spoiler: RE: Spindle Powers
    Show

DOPE POWERS ACTIVATE

Actually... speaking about my powers, I think they can my head. Matthias concentrates for a half a minute, a look of deep concentration on his face as a black mist starts to seep from his palms and surround his face and helmet. The mists take half a minute to solidify, covering the entire affected area. Then, it gradually dissipates, leaving behind a pristine helmet. It isn't even dirty - all of that seems to have been fixed, or made new.

As the last of the fog dissipates, Matthias slumps forward, avoiding falling on Devin's body. Huh - *pant* didn't expect it to be that hard. *pant* Matt pushes himself to a sitting position to catch his breath for a minute.
    Last edited by Dromuthra; 2016-10-23 at 05:43 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Spoiler: Inner Dialogue
    Show
    Okay, nobody's looking at us. What's going on?

A feeling of smugness.

It appears you were meeting a cabal of mages. Obviously the magic went awry.

Mages? What the hell are you talking about? Capes?

Quite so. You are being spoken to. They want you to look for a stone of telepathy. The amulet of Rah Dee Owe.

Riiiiiiight. A radio. Anyone ever tell you you're a weirdo, Aurelius?

You have. Many, many times.

Tony seems to be lost in thought, but snaps out of it when addressed. "Huh? Yeah sure I'll have a look around."

He retraces his steps, each step surer, lighter. He seems slightly more Statuesque in build than before, His movement more precise and confident. He digs around a bit, coming up with a battered device. He gives it a go but it seems unresponsive. He looks around in the nearby vehicles and spots an abandoned phone in one.

Straighten your fingers. Let our strength be the key.

"Okay, here goes...."

Tony straightens his fingers so his hand is shaped like a knife and plunges them into the car door like soft butter, destroying the lock and handle. He wrenches his hand back out "Yeouch!"

He shakes his hand where he scraped it on the metal on the way out. Heaving and straining he pulls the door open and retrieves the phone. "Damn. No signal. HEY BOOTCAMP!!! CAN YOU CATCH?!" He calls out to Matthias. His voice sounds slightly distorted, like a bassier baritone is underlaying his at a lesser volume.
    Last edited by Feralgeist; 2016-10-23 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Typo

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler: Flashback Response
    Show
    "I'm just worried I'm getting sent in as a sacrifice." Sighing, "I suppose it doesn't matter that much, you know I'll still do it. Just make sure I know who to look out for and why. I don't want to be faced with another unexpected parahuman if I can avoid it."
    Alice shakes her head a moment to clear it.
    That was weird. I need to figure this out.

As she walks around, she notices the mists seem to have receded a bit, almost as if they're weakening.
    "Hey, I don't know if you guys are having the same problem but I think my power might be going out so to speak. Which is weird because it isn't really supposed to do that. Maybe it's something to do with this place?"
    Last edited by Thematthew; 2016-10-23 at 05:58 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

RedWizardGuy

"We... we should probably get off the street." Ruth said softly, something still pinging in the back of her mind that everything about this situation was wrong, wrong, wrong. "It doesn't seem safe out here." She pulled her hood tighter around her ears, shivering.

Then her attention turned to the girl in the water. She still hadn't moved, and who knew what contaminants swam in that murk. "Excuse me. Do you need help getting out?"
    My Homebrew
    Healer: Pathfinder remake of the 3.5 class of the same name. Light, restoration, and more positive energy effects than you can shake a cleric at.

22. - Top - End - #22

Matt turns his head and shifts his body so he's facing Tony. Dunno, can you toss? Might be better to not risk it - I'm a little worn out at the moment.

At Alice's comment, Matthias will remove one spindle to shorten the radius of his aura, in the next breath pulling them from Anthony. Problem dealt with; don't need to power him anymore... And she's right, he adds, gesturing at Ruth. We probably don't want to stay here any longer than we have to. I think I need a minute to rest, and then I should be good to go. Or at least, I'll be able to stumble along.

Eenie, Meenie, Miney, you!

Spoiler: Spindles
    Show

7 in Alice, 3 go into Caleb - let's see how well you can find things!

I'm going to assume my ability to repair objects just takes longer and takes more out of me than before, unless told otherwise.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Mayara woke up, and moved a bit. Weird, was she helping the boy? Why she? Surely someone else could do it...And then instantly after looking around she closes her eyes again, hoping it'd all be just a dream. In any case she didn't really want to move away from the boy. Or move around the one that came to help..

Of course, once the boy receives his medical attention, it's kindof pointless, it is all probably very real, but she keeps them closed

Once the girl asks her if she needs help, she decides that yes, she could use the help even if everything was mostly alright. But no, she had to refuse, who knew who these people were

So, she simply shakes her head in negative and stands up. It was actually rather easy.

And instantly, upon looking at the group, she thinks she can see...NO! Not now

She sees nothing. It seems to be getting harder to breath in the mask, she tries to get it off as she joins the others

24. - Top - End - #24

NecromancerGuy

Devin finally gets out of whatever half-aware state he was in to confront the group of people assisting wounded le- wait! That's not a leg.

"Thank you everyone um, whoever you are... but as you noticed that's not a real leg" he proceeds to move until he can get some leverage to remove whatever bandaging has been done and remove the limb, giving it a once over for damages.

"So we are all Capes?" Devin asks "I overheard a little, and what about the woman I woke with?" he asks more hurriedly.

I don't know who she is but she isn't moving, and must either be important to me somehow or helped me when whatever happened.

He reattaches his leg and gets up to look around, heading over to the now aware Mayara who it seems got up around when he did "Are you Injured?" he askes her, giving her a visual inspection and then trusting her to what help she is getting.

Looking around some more he sees the disaster area and the blockade. his eyes quickly snap to the skies, looking left and right before deciding nothing was there. Then he looks to those surrounding him, visually checking them over for whatever issues may be a problem using his Thinker power.

Felt like this kind of situation has some connection to something, and that something was somehow a thing he knew off

After a few deep breaths to calm he decides on a course of action.

"Everyone I have an idea, first we are Capes and we lack most of our memories' we know that much" he says in his most authoritative tone. "I say first we sit back a minute introduce ourselves, list our power and what if any information may be of use. This should sort out any confusion. Of course we swear not to reveal any of the important Cape things to others".

After letting this sink in for a moment he talks again, slow this time.

"Once we are done with perhaps we list our wounds? Work out who has the largest difficulties."
    Last edited by ThreadNecro5; 2016-10-23 at 07:15 PM.
    my homebrew signature:
    here on page 9

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Caleb Empowerment
    Show
    Your vision clears, your hearing sharpens, and your radius increases to just over eight kilometers. You're not sure why it's happening, but your power is easier and more fluid to control.

Spoiler: Spire Powers
    Show
    Sense Bending: You can bend your senses slightly. You can see partially around corners, pinpoint sources of sounds, and feel things a few inches away from your body.

Yes. If you drop to lower than 5, the power changes in function. For now, it just takes longer to use and recover from.

Show
    "Yes, of course. They are a mixed group, Shakers and Thinkers mostly. Maybe a tinker or two. Some overlap with other GOIs, mostly unnamed. There's two you have to look out for... *garbled name* and *garbled name*." ((The garbling is in the memory, but at the time you heard them right.))
    "The former is much more dangerous to you; could shut you down, take you over if she gets close. The other one? Could do the same, but you'd maybe have a fighting chance. Do you have any cadets you want to recruit for this mission?" ((Use garbled names.))

Spoiler: Mayara Flashback
    Show
    There was something different about the crew tonight. You'd often wondered what drove them forward, what kept them coming back after months apart... The cell had been brainwashed from belonging, from being part of something greater than themselves. That was not only addictive, but downright insidious. Tonight, however, it seemed that obsessive need, that brainwashed code they belonged to, was being stretched mighty thin.
    The discussion had come full circle, right back to the pivotal moment in the plan. Eyes were darting between you and Spur, a cape with a heavy cowboy-desperado feel. He was the only other parahuman in your Movement. And he was getting angry.
    "Bridge, hun, you're gon' need to do better then that. Ain't nobody here who woun't put their life down fer' the cause, see? All's we askin' is a bit o' initiative. We gotta send a message, see?"
    Taking part in the missions, being an important player in the development of the Movement, it meant a lot to you. But what they were asking you to do was too far. Way too far.

26. - Top - End - #26

I don't mind going first. You can call me Matt - I fell like I should have another name, but I can't remember it, and Matt's a common enough name that I doubt it'd help anyone find me. My power designation is Trump 8, Shaker 3: I get powers based on who's around me and I can help people use their power more effectively. Here Matt takes a minute to use his new perception to get a 360 degree view of each of them.

He then sets to fixing his bruised arms, first doing one and then the other. At the moment, I have a restoration-based power, which as I understand it can cure recent injuries and damage, but takes a bit out of me.. Here he winces as he finishes one arm, panting a bit. While we're chatting, let's have the worst injuries come up to me so I can fix them.

Hm, don't think that she's going to be much of a problem immediately; she seems pretty out of it. Still need her power to keep working to heal myself and the others though, so I'll leave them there for now.

[Spindles - No change]

27. - Top - End - #27

Spoiler: Inner dialogue
    Show
    So, what are you? Why won't you tell me anything?

You've clearly lost a great deal of memories. Concentrate. Lift the fog from your mind....see me as I am. Remember the game.

Tony concentrates and feels a presence in the back of his mind. He sees a vast, frigid armoury, brightly lit by an unseen source. In the centre a large figure hunches, entirely wrapped in blue steel chains. The chains extend off into the cavern.

I am your character Tony. And i remember Everything.I do not know what i am, but i know that I hate you, and I will never forgive you. You forced me to raise a family and then had me slaughter them like pigs when the new expansion came out. LIKE PIGS! You're a monster Tony.

The game.......THE GAME! Oh gods i remember. But they were NPCs.....they weren't real!

The little girl....When you logged out and i was me again, she knew. She called me Auri. That wasn't scripted, Tony. They were real to me.

But i got that girlfriend, and you got to hang out with her. Trish! That was good, right?

You are not fit to speak her name!

Aurelius seizes control for a moment and plunges Tony's hand into the concrete. He relaxes and Tony's hand is stuck.

Tony yelps and mutters angrily. ""Ow! What the hell, stop it! The others will notice. How do i get it out?"

You apologise and vow never to mention her again. Best not to speak to me too much, They probably already think you insane.

"Alright! Fine, I'm sorry, i promise i won't speak of her."

His hand slips free of the concrete.

Make no mistake, whelp. My warriors code prevents me from allowing our destruction. But we are NOT friends.

Rubbing his knuckles, Tony walks over. "Good idea. Hey guys, I'm Tony. I can hit REALLY hard...." He thinks for a second, then his expressions hardens and he speaks again, the bassier voice a bit stronger.

"We are Incarnate. If battle is commenced, We can manifest armaments."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler: Flashback
    Show
    "How's about [garbled names,] they're great at the subtle stuff. And you know I don't do subtle." thinking for a moment she adds, "if possible, get [garbled name] on backup. We'll need someone to counter their thinkers."

"I'm W-Alice, and I destroy the world around me by existing apparently." Alice adds to the conversation, seeming somewhat concerned about the group around her.
    Last edited by Thematthew; 2016-10-23 at 08:41 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Clarissa nods in agreement with the man with the prosthetic. As the others speak she's finished doing the best she can fixing her hair.

"If what I can recall is correct, I believe I am classified as a Master and Shaker. I create an area that plays havoc with the nervous system of anyone inside and allows me to take control over any one of them while they are within it. If I have to do so, I shall require someone to guard me as I will not be in control of my own body while I take control of another's." Clarissa says. She doesn't hold back explaining the weakness since anyone who knew her as friend or foe already had discovered it or she had at some point figured out some way to circumvent it. She knew she would have to take the risk of trusting all of these people with her safety for now anyway and holding something that important back was more likely to do her harm than prevent any. Besides, they were confused and alarmed. As long as she provided them with leadership they were unlikely to turn on her.

"That one referred to me as 'Duchess'." she indicates the man with the strange echoes of himself around him. "I feel like that is close to what I was called but not quite right." She takes the crown and places it on her head and tests out a few regal titles under her breath, feeling them out. After a moment she settles on one. "Empress. I believe I was known as Empress. Either way, it will at least do for now."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    "[Second Garbled Cape] is approved. Good idea, actually; we were going to send her to South America to deal with that whole mess, but she'd be better matched with you. Sadly, [First Garbled Name] is already a part of the Consortium. They turned him last month. We didn't find out until three days ago, when he missed his check in. After our Postcog checked out his routes we found a dozen new dead drops that matched the pattern of Consortium deep-covers. Is this going to be a problem, Alice? I know you two were... close."

Spoiler: Tony Flashback
    Show
    "We're under fire! Boneblade, their Assassin doubled back through a Rewind! Get to Level 3 NOW!" Jay's voice screeched over the headset. His voice was high and slightly nasal. He beat you out for Commander this season by sixteen measly ranks. One extra Skirmish on the weekend would have bought you to the front of the lineup, but your mom forced you to go study at the library. And not the awesome Cyber Library downtown- the rural one out in Mapleton, the one with dial up. It was sadism.