New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Default Tales of the Raven Guard (IC)

You all have been in the capital city for a couple of days now. Malachite Squad drew the short stick this time, and you've been stuck patrolling the Keep's outer walls. Today's the day of the big Tournament, and the crowd can be heard from here. A large arena has been set up in the courtyard, and when you're on the north wall, you can just see the King's box, build high above to see the whole field.

Shortly before sunset, the squad meets up on the north wall, today's shift done. As you exchange greetings with your replacements, there is a loud commotion, and the sound of the crowd shifts from excitement to panic.

Turning toward the disturbance, you all watch in horror as the King's grandstand slowly collapses. Fellow Ravens and Keep guards begin rushing toward the courtyard to assist however they can.
    The next few hours fly by as scattered memories. Wreckage being thrown aside, broken, bleeding bodies pulled out. That evening, you all meet back at Greystone Manor, the subdued mood a stark contrast to the recent jubilee.

An enormous man walks in to Malachite's ready room. Lord Commander Gregori Giantkiller, leader of the Raven Guard, looks the group over, and sits on a stool, beckoning the group to gather. The goliath looks distraught, and takes a moment to gather himself.

"I know you all will 'ave plenty of question, so bear with me for a moment, and I'll fill you in." He takes a deep breath, and is quiet for a moment before continuing.

"During the tournament, the featured beast broke free from the field, and went berserk. It was a big ol' thing, a bulette they call 'em. Anyways, before the guards could nab it, the beast leapt into the stands and began rampaging. During this, it knocked itself into several of the support columns of the King's stand, which then collapsed before the royal family could escape.

The queen died of her injuries 'fore we could help her. The princesses survived, though Marian suffered some broken bones, and Karla took a right blow to the head. A few dozen in the stands were also injured or killed.

The king…the king is badly wounded. He is not expected to live the night. The council is stepping in to lead until it can be decided whether or not Fredrich will inherit, should the king not recover."

He stops for a second to collect himself again. He stands up a big straighter, and his voice talks on the timbre of command.

"The Keep Guard is investigating, but they're currently calling it an accident, and offering a fair sum to anyone who can bring the creature in, dead or alive. That said, we can't leave anything of this measure to those goblin-brains. I will be mobilizing the Raven Guard soon to get to the bottom of this. Take a few moments to let this sink in, then report to Captain Kraghammer for your assignment. He's in his office, drafting orders."

With that the Commander leaves the room, leaving Malachite squad to take in the news.
    Last edited by Master Waldo; 2017-02-05 at 10:12 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of the Raven Guard (IC)

A purple skinned tiefling woman stands by the fireplace in her black leather and burnished bronze armor. Her long black hair is braided around her horns, tied with a leather cord adorned with small malachite gems. Her gaze is distant as the Commander relates the events, but her attitude brightens as she begins to speak.

"Lord Commander, I have some skill at healing, at least my stories and lyre playing may sooth the King of his ills. I should have been on the field instead of on the walls, facing down a Bulette to save the King....that would have been quite a story." The scars on Excellence's hands seem to glow int he firelight as she thinks about the glory she missed out on. "Saving the king's life would make for quite the tale as well."

(From a purely mechanical standpoint, and I understand if you don't want to allow it for story reasons, but I do have Cure Wounds on my spell list)

Spoiler
    Show
    In case it is needed: persuasion: (1d20+10)[16]
    Last edited by tigerusthegreat; 2017-02-05 at 11:26 AM.
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

I too have some skill at healing... But I'm more a warrior than a healer, and I imagine the king already has his best treating him, Tanis says, looking downcast.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Lay On Hands, but again, if you want the king dead, we understand.

Tanis continues, saying (more to the group around than to the commander) He was a good king. I never had much dealings with him, but the people were happy and safe, and what more can be asked of a ruler?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Ye'd be the king's healer, now?" answers a rough voice to the tiefling, "And what a tale indeed! But think you that the council will not have tried such measures already?"

Suthri is looking up from the table, where he has occupied himself with a book while the Malachites waited.

"But I heartily second the opinion that we should have been near the king. I myself might have saved the entire royal family, for only this morning I prepared an arcane remedy" -- and here Suthri almost snorts in Excellence's direction -- "precisely for such an occasion as a fall from great heights. No need to collect and cleanse the spilt and spoilt milk if one is prepared and alert to start with."

Show
    My familiar currently is a Hawk.
    My visions this morning portended the following two rolls: (2d20)[15][13](28)

Spoiler: Previous Games
    Show
    Tales of the Raven Guard - Suthri Almstedt - OOC - IC

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Tvane's face becomes ashen at the news, and listens through the talk of healing spells. He looks down at his clasped hands before speaking.

"I once heard a story of a merchant-duke in the golden cities. He had his entire line enchanted immune to magic, at great expense, to protect against harmful spells and workings. It came back to bite him when he was beaten comatose by a mob -- he died from a simple head wound, never able to wake up to let the healing spells pass."

Tvane eyes the door searchingly. "I never knew if it was true. It seemed far fetched, and I struggled to imagine anyone having that combination of paranoia and wealth."

"Has the beastmaster been questioned? The arena staff? This looks like an accident, but the coincidence is a lot to take. Almost no casualties except the royal family?" He grimaces and shakes his head.
    Last edited by pupaeted; 2017-02-05 at 02:19 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Charlie leaned casually against the wall, absentmindedly stroking his beard.

"Sometimes accidents just happen, and good people die for stupid reasons. And with plains folk agitated like they are, I think foul play shouldn't be ruled out. I can make some inquiries, see if there's anything odd going on in the underworld."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

"I agree that, while tragedy does happen, this seems too targeted or a mere accident. Both the King and Queen mortally wounded? If we are unable to provide durect assistance to the King, we should start on the grounds themselves and with those handling the creature. I don't like thinking it, but the other members of the Raven Guard may not be above suspicion. They either failed at their jobs or were complicit. I know how hard it can be ti discover someone you trust is involved in duplicity."

Excellence sends a knowing glance at Lanlin.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

The commander addresses Tanis and Excellence with a sad smile on his face. "Your desire to help does you well, agents. But the master Dwarf is correct. The best medical care in the land, both mundane and magical, is already at the king's side. I'm afraid you'd likely do nothing but get in the way."

Turning towards the others, he continues "You all seem to have good investigative instincts. I'll mention that to the captain as he finished writing up orders. Expect them soon."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lanlin

She gives a rough, "hmph", to Excellence's mockery. The old manor's chairs luxurious nature not lost on her, she sits comfortably while slowly eating a fried bread she acquired at the festival. "You make Excellence points." She holds the bread in her mouth and pulls a glowing map of the arena out of her sleeve. The map doesn't quite match; it's probably from former events and years. She grips the bread and map in hand and looks over the arena in front of her. "There are too many coincidences to assume this was fate."

"All of you must have found it strange how much security the king desired. The king's paranoia was rightfully justified. Him seeing shadows out of the corner of his eye is a grave sign. The attacker is someone even the king couldn't fight off. Someone too close to see or untouchable from the king's current situation. Whomever it is it has to be someone with knowledge of the events. This attack happened during the changing of the guard and from the event's monstrosity. Everything is too planned."

"The murder weapon is still on the loose, but what information it holds is unknown. We have to act fast though or else things will be obfuscated beyond our ability to find. We need to question this monster's handlers." She looks at the map to see if the king's tower/arena's engineering was oddly placed to allow this thing a better chance at destroying it. "They might know something. That and we need to get in touch with the people overseeing the event."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

"That might be what Kraghammer has in mind," Tvane says, slipping his hands into his pockets. "And he might have more information along with our orders."

11. - Top - End - #11

OldWizardGuy

"Let us report to Kraghammer, then, and get on with it. We are no use to the king burbling in this room!" Suthri quickly stows his book into his bag and stands to his feet, muttering something colorfully and "quietly" to himself about "devise...extend...miles...some day."

Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Jak sips from his mug as the others take the news and espouse theories. His own mind digging through his decades of experience with Bulettes in the forest and foothills near his home. Nonetheless, he agrees with the sentiment that Karl made a good King by nodding his head and taking another drink. Finding his mug emptier than he likes, he sets it down and stands from the table. "We can discuss theories until we go blue in the face, for now we should collect our next orders and get to work." He makes for the door, heading for the Captain's office.
    Games GMed
    The Vanstermen: OOC - IC

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Lanlin

She gives two nods in agreement to her fellow guard. Time to go. Her shoes find the ground from their oversized chair. She stuffs her map into her sleeve and her bread into her mouth. Her cheeks bulging, stuffed with food. "Good points," she mumbles. The food in her mouth soon divided by hand and split to the owl on Lanlin's shoulder.

"Master Almstedt", she says with a shuffle and her mouth still too full. "Do you know anything about Buttletes? We didn't really have to worry about them too much in the west. I can't say I've ever had the fortitude to meet one face to face."

14. - Top - End - #14

OldWizardGuy

The dwarf stumps after Jak.

"Well," he answers, as he and Lanlin fall into step, "I am, in this case, at an extraordinarily rare loss. I have hardly heard of Buttletes before. Please do ask Kraghammer."

With a stoic visage, he continues down the hall.

Show
    Deception, if necessary: (1d20)[15]
    Last edited by galdre; 2017-02-05 at 08:01 PM.

Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

"There are too many coincidences to assume this was fate."

"One could never say that of fate," Sokhan utters under his breath, "last I checked, Kings and Queens are not immune to bad luck. But I suppose that would put us out of a job."

Sensing that his view on the matter would not be suitable for the sombre atmosphere, Sokhan turns silent and awaits further instructions for action.
    Last edited by lordshadowisle; 2017-02-05 at 08:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

"Lanny, I have literally shared scraps of food with a circus bear, and your eating habits disgust me." Excellence jibed the gnome with a sly grin. Since they are waiting anyway, she undoes the leather band wrapped around her hair and horns, and quickly undoes her braids as well. Retrieving a simple brush from her belt pouch, she brushes out her long black hair. "I don't think a Bulette would go intentionally for the King....unless it was baited or trained to. They are rather stupid creatures, though, so it may be hard to train them. I can also think of about a hundred different creatures that could be found to make a more interesting sport in a pit fight or tournament....I should know, I fought scores of such fights."

Excellence begins braiding her hair again before stopping. "What do you think, Lanny? Should I try something different? Maybe....." Brushing out the small amount of waves the braiding had done, Excellence puts the jeweled leather to hold her hair back from her face, tying it behind her head beneath her horns. Admiring her look in the reflection of a polished mug, Excellence smirked. "What I wouldn't give for a Tiefling stylist. It is so hard to accessorize with horns when all your jewelers and trinket makers are dwarves. I could find three dozen different ways to ornament a beard with a bauble, but not one that works with horns." She sighed, and took it out of her hair, and rebraided it the way it was before.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Lanlin

She "hms." at Almstedt. "Rare indeed. Something beyond both our grasps. I'll have to look into the creature."

It's happening. - That awkward situation where you don't know if you're leaving or staying in a room. She looks between her dwarf friend and the tiefling. Her hand asking the dwarf to pause as she can't help but take whatever bait the bard sends out.

"She-devil. Don't you mock me! At least I have the decently not to bend over for whatever bears lay in that keep of yours." Reaching into her sleeve, Lanlin pulls out a bloody chunk of meat and tosses it at the tiefling's feet. "There for your suitors. Be careful when you bend over."

Not that she'd actually say that. Not that she did say that. She pushes her fantasy aside. A hint of anger hits her cheeks. She wasn't self continuous about the way she ate, but to be mocked was degrading. "The bear would provide a better conversation than you at least. Might have better taste too. It'd probably say your horn's would look better on a goat." She scrunches up her cheek and thinks a bit more. "Ah. I can't be bothered." She shakes her head and looks back to Almstedt for support.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Wisdom (Insight) vs 15:
    (1d20+1)[19]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'm sure goats would kill for these horns. I once had a patron who had a thing for horns....it got weird quick even for me. As for bears....they are rather dull conversationalists. They always want to talk about the bear necessities." Excellence finishes her braiding and smirks at Lanlin. "Run along now, dear, I'm sure you have bears to talk to and goats to horn."

Spoiler
    Show

Deception to make Lanlin believe this totally fake story. (1d20+10)[25]

Deception check removed, because I'm not trying to deceive anyone at the moment.
    Last edited by tigerusthegreat; 2017-02-05 at 09:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

OldWizardGuy

Suthri Almstedt remembered meeting "Excellence," and he remembered how little they had in common. He remembered the disappointment he felt, and the mild distaste at such open and oppressive vanity. But none of this explained the dislike that he remembered Lanlin expressing so many times over drinks. This, on the other hand, this did explain it.

Standing just outside the room, Suthri listened in growing anger as the gnome and tiefling exchange barbs. At Excellence's last line, Suthri had had enough. He rounded back to the room, placed his large dwarf hand on Lanlin's tiny shoulder, and began to bark, "Wh--"

"-khoff koff..." Suthri broke it off as soon as he'd begun. "Come, Lanlin, we have work to do. Excellence is only projecting."

He did his best to usher her back out of the room. "And, er, I apologize for my little joke a moment ago. Please do not ask Kraghammer about Buttletes. Bulettes, on the other hand, I do know. They are sluggish and cowardly creatures who grub about under the surface, lying in wait for unsuspecting prey. It is strange that anyone should think of using one for entertainment, and stranger still that it should cause this mess. I wish to get to the bottom of this business. Expend your anger on the investigation now, but I promise you" -- and here Suthri's voice lowered to a whisper, or at least the closest he could manage -- "we shall see about Excellence one day, you and I, together. Perhaps a curse of vermins, eh?"
    Last edited by galdre; 2017-02-05 at 10:36 PM.

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Captain Mordechai Kraghammer isa bit of a rarity around these parts. Unlike most Raven Guard members, he wants little to do with the intrigue and action, instead preferring to analyze and hypothesize. He is as much at home behind his desk with his maps and charts as most agents are at masquerade balls and dark dungeons.

Also, he isa silver dragonborn.

Cpt. Kraghammer looked up as the party shuffled in through his doorway.
    "Ah good, Malachite squad. I just finished putting together your orders. The Commander tells me that several of you seem to have the inquisitive senses about, and a good thing too! While the Keep Guard claims to have investigated the issue already, we feel that they came to their decision awfully fast. As such, you lucky few will be in charge of investigating the so called 'accident'.

I recommend inspecting the scene, and finding out who was in charge of building that grand stand. Bulettes are heafty creatures, but it seems fishy to me that it would have collapsed quite so easily. You are also authorized to pursue any other avenues of investigation that you feel are necessary.

Additionally, that horrible creature is still at large. And it does have a bounty of its head. I'd like to see the look on Sir Highbridge's face if one of us Ravens managed to claim it rather than his Keep boys."
    A sly grin momentarily appears on his face before it returns to its normal strict features.

"Finally, it's not officially part of your assignment, but all Raven members are being tasked with the safety of the young Lord Karlsson, as well as the Princesses. We aren't ruling out the possibility that this was an attempt on the royal family, and if so the assailants may attempt to finish the job. If you notice anything, report to Captain Maplehelm, in charge of Topaz Squad. There's the ones taking point on that task, but all squads are to consider it a concern.

I believe that's all I have for you, so unless there's any questions, I recommend you head to the arena."

21. - Top - End - #21

Tanis nods, thinking for a few moments if she has any questions, and decides to ask Do the heirs know we're in charge of their safety? Or must we do so subtly?

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

"To the general public's knowledge, the Keep Guard is in charge of the protection of the royal family, as is usual. The family, the council, and the Keep leadership are aware that Ravens are also on the task. So, don't be too overt about it in public, but if you need to discuss plans or concerns with that group, you can do so."

23. - Top - End - #23

OldWizardGuy

The dwarf waves a dismissive hand. "Normally I would jump at such an opportunity, but unless this bulette is considered a further threat to the royal family, then I say let the rat-catchers do their rat-catching. We have more important troubles to focus on. If there is a plot against the king and the family, we must move swiftly."

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Jak lead the way to the office and stepped to the side as the others followed him in. As the Captain lays out the tasks at hand, Jak considers his own strengths and experience. He's wouldn't be his own first choice for interrogating builders or investigating the scene of the incident, but he knew a few things about the beast in question. "The landshark is a danger to any that walk in this city, not just those highest from the ground. I'll focus on taking the beast down before it harms too many more. Just in case, I'd request at least one healer to join me on this." He looks to the group for volunteers, and asks the Captain, "Do we have any reports on the beast's direction? It's a burrower and so we'll only know when it surfaces to attack or if it causes damage below street level."

Show
    Here's a roll for Knowledge on Sir Highbridge: (1d20)[7]

And I volunteer for the Bulette Team.
    Games GMed
    The Vanstermen: OOC - IC

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

"You will need my skills, then, to take on the Bulette. We may also be able to determine some clues about its training from the body, or its actions if we take it alive." During the briefing, Excellence had slipped in the back of the room. Punctality was not a strong suit of hers.

26. - Top - End - #26

Flumph

"I'll go with the investigation team. I can hold my own in a fight, but mental tasks have always been more my strong suit."

Spoiler: Knowledge Roll of Sir Highbridge
    Show
    (1d20+4)[23]

27. - Top - End - #27

I suppose I should stick with the royalty, then, Tanis says, not sounding all too displeased with that. Having a healer nearby can't hurt, especially one who can also fight.

Spoiler: Insight DC 6
    Show
    (1d20+5)[6]

Tanis may have a minor infatuation with the royal family. One can tell that she won't let it get in the way of her duties, and she probably doesn't even know the family that well-but for some, the thought of becoming royalty and the handsome/beautiful visages of the prince and princess...
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2017-02-06 at 03:11 PM.

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #28

OldWizardGuy

The creases in Suthri's face deepen and curl as he looks toward Excellence and Jak. "Bah! I say again that the animal is a distraction! Your pursuit of glory and your pride will do us no good. But if you must pursue the monster, at the very least please do not forget to make a thorough inspection of the creature once it is vanquished. And please, for Ebenssakes," he adds, "do not get caught in an ambush."

Seizing his belt flask, Suthri swings it deep. He takes a breath, and another swig, and several more deep breaths. Almost (but not quite) glancing apologetically toward the performer and the hunter, he turns back to Captain Kraghammer. "Know you whether the groundsmen, trainers, and hired help have been dismissed? Or are they being held somewhere? We ought question them as soon as possible. Memories fade."

Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Flumph

Charlie noticed that Tanis seemed rather eager to get near the royals, but decided it best to simply file that knowledge away for later. Responding to Suthri, he said "I disagree with you on the bulette. While it might end up being trivial to the overall case, having such a dangerous creature loose in the capital could be... very bad."

30. - Top - End - #30

OldWizardGuy

"I agree, Charlie, but so long as our lords are in danger, I should think that there be more...appropriate resources to expend on that problem than the Raven Guards."

Show