New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

"Roni. Remove it's head with fire, just in case, then follow with your sister. We must stay together lest there be more lurking in the shadows." Auran leapt to the aid of the pursuing townsfolk.

Spoiler
    Show
    Translation: Coup De Grace please. I was going to have Auran do it, but he is probably best of use sticking with the front lines to be sure we don't lose any more villagers. Poor Baden...
    Last edited by TekHed; 2013-04-06 at 11:20 PM.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Firbolg in the Playground

Roni Quickwing

The young man nods at Auran's instruction, but doesn't say a word as he brings down the flaming blade against the fallen troll's throat.

Full round action: coup de grace for Damage - (2d8+6)[10] and Fire Damage - (3d6)[7].
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

Griffon

Tears streaming down Vaeri's face, she reaches and pulls another set of components out of the back.

Waiting momentarily for Roni, she then follows quickly after him toward the troll and the fallen villager.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Waiting. :)

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Faein's face hardens as he hears Baden's cries, and a surge of power flows from his gauntlets into the aura around his feet, even the brilliance of his blade dimming a little as he pours everything he can into ensuring the troll would not escape justice. The forest still hinders him, but for a few brief seconds, free of his armour and buoyed by the strength of memory, it is almost as though he were not crippled at all as he skids through the undergrowth, forcing his way past shrub and vine.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move essentia from Gauntlets and Blades to Sandals (speed now 30ft), double move next to the troll if possible.

Attack (if a single move happens to be sufficient by some chance): (1d20+6)[19]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[8] + (1d6)[1] electricity + (3d6)[14] fire
    Last edited by Sallera; 2015-05-15 at 12:58 PM.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

The troll on the ground tries to roll out of the way of Roni's blade, but its insufficiently-healed arms fail it and it dies under his blow, this time permanently. The giantkin's dry and mottled hide quickly catches fire and burns itself to ash as the decapitated head spasms and lies still.

All subtlety is abandoned as everyone rushes through the thick woods after the troll. You find it jogging away from the camp, Baden's ruined body slung over its shoulder--well, what's left of his body, anyway. Bors promptly falls to his knees and pukes his guts out at the sight of what has happened to his friend--he's a militia man and hunter, not a hardened soldier--but Soranna is only enraged further.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone is between 30 and 60 feet away from the troll. You're surrounded by difficult terrain so charging isn't possible, the thick branches provide some cover from ranged attacks, the troll has the same speed you do and acts next, and you don't have enough people close enough to surround it. Unless you have some way to slow the troll or otherwise impede it, the only people who can reach the troll are Vaeri with her spells and Faien with his sandals.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2013-05-01 at 09:48 PM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

6. - Top - End - #336

Griffon

As Vaeri races with Roni after the creature, she shoots another spell at the creature, hoping to slow it down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ice Knife (ranged touch)
    (1d20+9)[15]
    (2d8)[11] cold dmg
    +2 pts dex dmg
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2013-04-15 at 06:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

Auran saw the tangled mass of vines quickly coming up on his dash so he flapped his wings and took to the air in pursuit of the beast, that he might back up the Magistrate.

Spoiler
    Show
    I already stated Aura was running so we can count it as a runing start...Jump Check: (1d20+11)[22]

So that is 20 feet from the long jump, another 20 feet of gliding, and a final 10 feet from the second jump that didn't get a running start. Difficult terrain means my last 10 feet of movement will get 5 feet, so that gets me within the troll's reach. If he doesn't take an AoO or otherwise stop to engage Auran I can hopefully get him within reach with another jump next round.

In case it wasn't clear, I'm doing a double move, using jumps and gliding to bypass the difficult terrain.
    Last edited by TekHed; 2013-04-15 at 07:18 PM.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing that he is unlikely to catch the troll on foot, Faien turns and sprints for his mount. "Keep that up, Vaeri; if you can cause enough pain, it may turn to fight. Auran, stay with her; I will get my horse."

Spoiler
    Show
    And unless there's some sort of pathing advantage from the water walking, even Faien can't catch it; with his flaw, a 15ft speed boost and no armour only give him a normal person's speed. Double move to his horse instead; next turn, should be able to untie it, mount, and pursue.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

9. - Top - End - #339

Roni Quickwing

Roni keeps pace with the others, stopping only long enough to draw his shortbow. "Remind me to teach you some fire spells, sis," he chides as he takes aim at the creature. "Nothing's hurts more than a good old-fashioned flame...especially on these bastards." He takes careful aim at the fleshy area where he thinks the troll's kidneys might be and lets the arrow fly.

Attack - (1d20+8)[17]
    Damage - (1d8+3)[11] +3 damage from Inspiration Point 2/2 for the encounter.
    Fire Damage - (3d6)[15]
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-04-15 at 08:32 PM.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    And unless there's some sort of pathing advantage from the water walking, even Faien can't catch it
    Whoops, I saw "sandals" and was thinking Airstep Sandals; no, it looks like Faien is stuck with the horse.

Miss chance for Roni's arrow due to concealment (21+ hits) (1d100)[54]

Vaeri's frigid missile streaks through the trees and strikes the troll heavily in the side, leaving frost in its wake. Roni's arrow hits it in the neck a moment later, scorching a hole in its sickly green skin and singeing off what little hair is hanging off the creature's scalp, and the troll stumbles and drops to one knee, gasping for breath.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nice shot from Roni. The troll is unconscious for a round before its regen kicks in, so Auran and Faien can reach it on their upcoming turn and do their thing.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2013-04-17 at 09:40 PM.

Show

I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Untying his horse and climbing up bareback, Faien kicks it through the undergrowth, emerging next to the stumbling troll and leveling his sword at its throat as it attempts to rise.

Spoiler
    Show
    Too many actions to actually attack, but should be able to take an AoO if it isn't finished off before it tries to run again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Knowing time was of the essence, Auran stalked up to the fallen foe, and raising his warstar high above his head, brought the heavy spiked-ball down with crushing force right onto the beast's skull.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d10+7)[14]x3= 42 + (3d6)[7] fire
    Last edited by TekHed; 2013-04-21 at 02:39 PM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

The troll blinks and looks up just in time to receive a face-ful of metal spikes. It wobbles and falls backward, eyes rolling back into its skull. Its skin struggles to knit itself back together, but it's too little too late as the cavalry arrives--literally in the case of Faien hopping off his horse and slicing at the troll's throat, figuratively in the case of Soranna and Bors ferociously stab it over and over again with their spears in paroxysms of rage. By the time the two of them are done with the troll--during which time neither Auran nor Faien manage to get in a second strike--the troll's body has burnt down to ash.

Spoiler
    Show
    Auran's attack doesn't kill the troll, but it drops it back unconscious for another round, giving the others time to reach them and help put the troll down for good.

There is silence as the townsfolk retrieve Baden's body and carry him back to camp on Faien's mount, punctuated only by the snores of the still-sleeping and oblivious captive hobgoblins when you trudge back in. After a mournful conversation among themselves, the townsfolk decide that returning his remains to town in this state would be traumatizing to everyone involved, so they decide to hold a brief funeral for him right here.

Baden is--was--a Flamite, so a funeral means cremation. You all have the fire handy, of course, but no one present is a Silver Flame priest. "Magistrate, Paladin," Soranna asks somberly, "could one of you do the honors? You're the closest we have to a priest right now, and I think he would have appreciated it."

Show

<Snip>

14. - Top - End - #344

Roni Quickwing

For the first time in a long time, Roni is speechless. However, while he expects a long and awkward silence he instead finds quite the opposite. As he stood with his mute companions, the silence felt befitting the occasion.

15. - Top - End - #345

Griffon

Vaeri stand quietly beside her brother. Tears still fall from her eyes as the villagers light the pyre for Baden.

She waits to hear what the others will say.

16. - Top - End - #346

Roni Quickwing

Showing a rare moment of compassion, Roni places his hand on Vaeri's back and rubs it gently, hoping to console her. However, he knew that there were some wounds even the presence of family couldn't fully mend.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Troll in the Playground

Auran supervised the grisly ordeal of piecing Baden's grisly remains together into some form of repose. When it was done, he removed his own cloak, as rich a garment as the townsfolk and even the magistrate had ever seen, and wrapped Baden's body in it, before binding the makeshift shroud with rope. While he attended to the corpse, he instructed the others to build up their campfire into a suitable pyre. When all was ready, the company assembled in a semi-circle, Auran at the apex.

"The Silver Flame was already ancient, even at the founding of Aerenal by my people, and we know it's legacy well. In eons past, even before the Age of Dragons, the Age of Demons reigned supreme, and the land was covered in darkness. The Couatl's, those feathered serpents of light, sacrificed themselves to their last number to drive back the darkness, and seal the Rakshasa's and their progeny deep within Khyber. The Serpents of Light knew their enemies could not be destroyed, aye, even as Tiamat Herself could not be, for they were born of the Dragon Below, and are as much a part of the world as the Dragon above, or Eberron Herself. To seal them away, the Couatl's merged as One, and became the Silver Flame, and have guarded us ever since. Even the mighty dragons pay tribute to their sacrifice..."

"And so it is, that Baden, courageous and devout sacrificed himself for his people, one more small flame extinguished by the darkness before his time. Yet, we take joy in his passing, for his spirit will not be consigned to the bleak grey waste of Dolurrh, but will be taken in unity unto the Silver Flame, thereafter to guard us against the Darkness. Let his loved and cherished temper their tears with this knowledge, for his spirit has already transcended to a place beyond pain and suffering, to eternal light and joy. And so transcended, we now consign his former shell to the Flame..."

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Faien is no stranger to funerals, but he is content to leave the speech to Auran; Balinor was a god of quiet places and simple rules, and Faien unfamiliar with the pomp and ceremony of the Flame. He stands in silence instead, expression stern and unmoving, only his gaze steadily moving from one face to the next. It is not precisely stoicism that keeps him from showing his sorrow; one might rather call it duty, the confines of his calling. To understand but not to share, to keep himself removed from any extremes, to judge free of investment.

Even when he himself was involved, that was not a habit that died easily. After all, if he allowed himself the leeway to do as he pleased based solely on his own judgement of the occasion, then he set a precedent that could only ever expand, until he someday lost entirely even the awareness of what his remove had meant.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

19. - Top - End - #349

Roni Quickwing

For all his travels and dalliances in the various cultures of Khorvaire, Roni had never actually seen a Flamite service. He had heard bits and pieces from those who followed the Flame, but never the fullness of the legend. He had heard about couatls, but never of their heroic sacrifice. There was something about the thought that was at once heartbreaking and beautiful.

Roni had been brought up on a draconic-flavored denomination of the Sovereign Host, but had always been taught that the dead simply exist in Dolurrh--a monochrome eternity. It was the dreariness of this very notion that triggered his instinct for self-preservation; Roni wanted to experience every color of life for as long as he could. But the afterlife mentioned in the Flamite rites seemed somehow better...desirable, even. He breaks his tough facade and allows tears to run down his face as he pulls an arrow from his quiver. He touches it to the campfire, causing the last flames sparked by the bard's song to lick the base of the pyre and send it alight. "Amen," he whispers.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-05-01 at 06:47 PM.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Bors has apparently been around enough Flamite ceremonies to know the appropriate response: "May his soul burn brightly within the Flame, and his life shine in our memories, forever and ever," he murmurs. Soranna and Bors merely bow their heads during the prayer, Bors kissing the Sovereign Host medallion he wears under his tunic. There is silence as flames crawl slowly up the pyre to lick Auran's cloak and set its contents alight, broken only by the incongruously cheerful crackling and sparkling of the dry kindling.

After a suitable interval, the captain directs Bors to help her rig up her and Baden's bedrolls to shield the pyre; the midsummer heat has dried out the wood, so there's little smoke to give away your position, but it's best that the pyre is hidden until it can burn down.

Which it does just over a quarter-hour later. All that's left of the dearly departed Baden is his ashes wrapped up in the tattered remains of Auran's sturdy cloak, which Soranna retrieves, ties up, and stows in her pack to be returned to Baden's family. Even the normally-terse captain has been uncharacteristically quiet during the ordeal, and the way her hand keeps straying to her spear implies she'd like to take out her sorrow and anger on whatever poor fool happens to cross her path, so it's no surprise that she gruffly calls dibs on the next watch.

But alas, Soranna's desire for revenge is not to be sated this night. The next few hours pass without incident; if the returning hobgoblin scouts passed nearby, they were evidently too stealthy to be detected and not perceptive enough to detect you. Grudgingly, Soranna loosens her death grip on her spear and shield and settles down to sleep while the next person takes their turn. The rest of the night passes without incident, and everyone wakes slightly before dawn as well-rested as they can be under the circumstances.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2013-05-01 at 10:07 PM.

Show

<Snip>

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

The lack of a passing military force as Faien dons his armour and draws upon a selection of defensive memories is heartening after the night's tragedy, indicating that at least he had correctly predicted that Koth would not continue with the dawn attack, and their plans for the day would not be in vain.

Unwrapping a packet of dried meat and berries, Faien sets to an early breakfast as he waits for the others to rise, nodding to Vaeri once she's up and awake. "None of Koth's forces appear to have moved out, unless they were extraordinarily stealthy about it, so our plans should hold. Do you still intend to send your new servants to report while we make our approach?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

22. - Top - End - #352

Griffon

Having risen from a restless night, and spend the next hours meditating on the God Aasterinian, Vaeri seems impatient as she eats from her rations, casting glances at the goblins every so often.

The blessing granted the messenger Goddess in disguise and counterspelling should help in her deception. Not to mention they would need the Goddess's own luck to pull this off.

(+2 Disguise, Improved Counterspelling Feat 3x)

As Faein's question, she draws herself up. "I do." she replies, trying to maintain the haughtiness she pulled off yesterday. "The loss of one of you, while disappointing, does not change Our Lady's plans."

Inside she cringes at her tone. Outwardly through, she points to the goblins..."Wake them up. It's time they were about the Lady's work."
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2013-05-03 at 10:06 AM.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

Auran awoke in a somber mood, quietly performing his morning devotions, before partaking of the simple breakfast brought by the villagers.

Sensing the thoughts on Roni's mind from the unfortunate service the night before, Auran waited until the right moment to go over and lay a scaled claw gently on the spellscale's shoulder.

"I know what you are thinking. Dolurrh. Such a bleak fate for all of us. You might even be tempted to join the Flamites after what you heard last night. I just wanted to let you know, for those of us with Dragon's blood, there is another possibility. If one leads a virtuous life, the Great Watcher Chronepsis may deem one worthy to enter the presence of the Sovereign Host. Or for great sacrifice, Bahamut may deem one worthy of living sainthood. These are narrow roads to travel however, and they are not for everyone. Most who settle for a life of mediocrity, find their lack of conviction reflected in the endless Gray Wastes of the Afterlife. It is a sobering thought. Before my penance, I had looked forward to life eternal as one of the Deathless of my people, and to my great shame, I was seduced and corrupted by the Dark Lady's promise of power."

He says this last loud enough so the hobgoblins can overhear him.

Seeing he laid enough of the heavy on the young Bard's mind, Auran suddenly smiled, clapped him on the back, then gathered his shield and spear.

"But for now we are still alive. Best to keep our thoughts focused on remaining that way, eh?"

24. - Top - End - #354

Roni Quickwing

Roni chuckles, but it is a thin and hollow laugh. Though Auran's words are meant to bring comfort, they instead bring only angst. Could I ever be worthy of either honor? Roni asks himself. He thinks back over his past--even his reactions to the present--and is ashamed to say that Dolurrh seemed like what he deserved. Even so, he says, "Thanks, Auran. I just don't know if I can ever...well, you had to give up so much and...Thanks. Hey, can I ask you something? How'd you do it--how'd you become so good?"

Meditating on Bahamut (asking Auran about his conversion as today's meditation)
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-05-08 at 08:09 AM.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

"When I realized that my vanity and greed for power had only caused the death and destruction of everything I'd hoped to use it for..." Auran said pensively. "Unfortunately I realized only too late, at the moment of my own death. It was only through the grace of great Bahamut that I was reborn...a chance to make amends...a rare opportunity indeed."
    Last edited by TekHed; 2013-05-08 at 07:01 AM.

26. - Top - End - #356

Roni Quickwing

Quote Originally Posted by TekHed View Post
    "When I realized that my vanity and greed for power had only caused the death and destruction of everything I'd hoped to use it for..."
    Auran's words cut Roni deeper than a blade. He thought back over his own vanity, his greed (not for power, mind you, just the classic type). He wondered how many had died because of his lies, how much had been destroyed. As his sister drops seamlessly into character, Roni can't help but shudder. He had taught her to shed her innocence and purity, instead taking up a cloak of deception. How tightly had he tied its stands around her neck?

Roni knew that, while he might not have as long a life to atone for as Auran had, there were still plenty of wrongs to make right. Now the only question was how to start. His hollow smile takes on more substance, and he nods and says, "Thank you, Auran. Perhaps we can talk more of your path when we've got the luxury of leisure time. I appreciate it." The dragonborn is struck by an odd feeling; gone are the usual layers of meaning, charades, and facades that usually accompany every sentence from Roni's mouth. Instead, it seems the boy is being entirely genuine for once.

Roni springs to his feet and calls out, "Okay, folks, take your places! Time to get this show on the road, eh? It's a great day to cause some trouble." Just like that, Roni was back to his old self. However, with a quick glance between Roni and Auran, it's abundantly clear that there's also a new self hatching somewhere deep within.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2013-05-08 at 08:10 AM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

"Good. The monoliths should cover our approach to some degree, but we will still need to make haste, something I am not particularly skilled at. Luck, as always, will play its role. Roni, you have your own approach, but should you be noticed, aim only to distract and confuse, not engage. Once I bring us inside, speed will be essential if Koth is present."

Once the hobgoblins are up, he nods to Vaeri, speaking just loudly enough for them to hear. "They should be able to handle their assignment, if they were competent enough to be selected for Koth's vanguard and wise enough to appreciate your superior position." Dropping his voice to a level for Vaeri's ears alone, he adds, "Tell them what you want them to do, but let them come up with the story. They know the area and their route better, and ought to be able to devise something plausible."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

The hobgoblins rise slowly and sleepily, yawning and blinking and cracking their necks to get themselves going, and those of you close to them discover that hobgoblins have terrible morning breath. Upon attempting to stretch and finding their hands still bound, though, they snap to wakefulness and take stock of their surroundings. They might not be the shiniest dragonshards in Xen'drik, but they can at least read the mood of the camp this morning: having been woken in the middle of some sort of depressing philosophical conversation between Priestess's Bodyguard and Intimidating Paladin while Scary Guard Captain looks like she wants to kill something, Ominously Quiet Woodsman is sharpening his weapons, and Actually Kind of Nice Woodsman is nowhere to be seen, they share a look and wisely decide to remain quiet until directly spoken to by Her Eminence Priestess Vaeri.

Mostly. Dosh apparently decides that Faien's comment is a slight against him. "Of course we can!" he barks. "What exactly do you think--oof." Taluk elbows him awkwardly in the ribs then turns and bows to Vaeri. "Your trust in us is not misplaced, Eminence," he says loudly with a significant look at his fellow captive that clearly says This isn't the time to provoke them, you idiot. "Whatever you want us to do, we can do. What are your orders?"

Show

<Snip>

29. - Top - End - #359

Griffon

Vaeri turns a glare on the hobgoblins.

"I should hope so. Very well. I want you to return to the keep and wait for my appearance. Make your return approach as obvious as possible. I want the keep's eyes on you. Questions?"

She glances around the rest of the camp. "It's time to go," she orders. A quick glance at Roni and a wink, "Roni, gather my gear. The rest of you, see to your own. Auran, release my hobgoblins so they may begin their journey."

She crosses her arms, every muscle seeming to radiate impatience while she waits for her orders to be followed.

A part of her still cringed at being cast into the role of priestess and leader. Hopefully her magic would be enough to convince Koth that she was blessed by the Lady and no one else would be hurt.

She spared a soft smile for Faien while the hobgoblins were being released. His quiet trust in her and suggestions on leadership, made the role she played a little easier. And while she knew Roni worried for her, another small part of her enjoyed the acting, though she had never had interest in it before.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

Auran bowed obsequiously, then set about following the "priestess's" instructions.