Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 553
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TekHed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Detroit Megacity

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    "You have a true talent for entertainment," Auran nodded, "though it is odd to be the subject of such tales. Such is to be expected when traveling with a Bard I suppose."

    As Faien moved to take his leave, so to did Auran. "Indeed. Sleep lightly, but sleep well. We may not receive such sumptuous circumstances again for some time..."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Huh..I was going to cast Endure Elements again on the party, but I just checked and discovered it is only one person per casting...for some reason I had thought it was a group effect. Oh well...when Auran has a leftover 1st level spell at night, he'll use it before bed to recast Endure Elements on himself, which I'll do so now...
    Spoiler: My Characters:
    Show
    The Cruciform Shard in "Eyes of the Lich Queen" (Eberron)
    Auran Sol the Dragon-born in "Red Hand of Doom" (Eberron)
    Soren St.Croix in "The Resistance" (E6)
    Koan, the Mountain Glacier in "Masters of the Nine Swords"
    Mutt Scalawag in "Beyond the Horizon"
    Brigid, Princess of Bears in "Shadows of an Untold Land"

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OMG PONIES's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TekHed View Post
    "You have a true talent for entertainment," Auran nodded, "though it is odd to be the subject of such tales. Such is to be expected when traveling with a Bard I suppose."
    "Well, get used to it," Roni says with a smirk, "a proper hero like yourself is bound to do more worth retelling." With a nod to his companions, Roni slaps a few coins on the bar as a tip and heads up to his room. He stows his belongings so they are safely out of place yet available at a moment's notice, and he is fast asleep by the time his head hits the pillow.
    Iron Chef Optimization Challenge Old Head and Unofficial Archivist
    Yelling at You Dang Kids to Get Off my Lawn Since 2010

    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PairO'Dice Lost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Malsheem, Nessus
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    You spend a sleepy, uneventful night in this sleepy, uneventful town, and nary a goblinoid disturbs your slumber. Well, unless you happen to be awakened at early o'clock in the morning when the serving girl makes her rounds, sweeping the hallways and refilling lamp oil. That's quite unlikely, though, as the door is heavy and thick and so are your blankets, too comfortable after a long wearying day to let some soft footsteps disturb your rest.

    A rooster crows just before the crack of dawn, followed a bit later by the tolling of a loud bell from somewhere across the river. The town comes alive outside your windows shortly thereafter, and even with some thick curtains shielding you from the commotion and the sunlight, anyone would be hard-pressed to sleep through all of that. Once you've had a bit of time to either wake up and get out of bed or curse the world and roll over for a few more minutes, each of you is visited by a young boy in working clothes. The boy is a goblin of the same coloring as the serving girl last night, and is of similar age, probably making them siblings; he knocks quietly, places a cup of berry tea and a plate of toast on your night table, informs you in a whisper that one of the town militia is downstairs whenever you're ready and there's more breakfast in the common room if you'd like some, and leaves just as quietly.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.


    Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TekHed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Detroit Megacity

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Auran's internal clock had awoken him an hour before dawn. Sleep was a new experience for him, something he had never known in his former life as an elf. The reverie was a lucid experience, reflecting upon the decades of the past as if looking through the clear waters of a placid pool. Dreaming was chaos in comparison. Memories blending and colliding, out of order, out of time, fading in and out between consciousness and unknowing oblivion, and then the abrupt landing back into one's body. It was a miracle how the shorter-lived races managed to stay sane.

    Auran stood up and flexed his wings; he had inadvertently crushed the left one in his unconsciousness and it tingled fiercely as the blood supply returned in earnest. Sitting himself down cross-legged, Auran forced himself to meditate, ordering his mind after the night's chaos. Once he felt composed once more, he quickly brushed his teeth and groomed his scales fastidiously before easing into his armor in practiced fashion. By the time the young goblin made his rounds Auran was slinging his shield between his wings and hefting his spiked warmace and longspear.

    The dragonborn thanked the boy, and quickly quaffed the proffered juice, before munching on the toast as he made his way down the stairs.

    Auran looked for the militia member, keeping an eye out for his rousing companions.
    Spoiler: My Characters:
    Show
    The Cruciform Shard in "Eyes of the Lich Queen" (Eberron)
    Auran Sol the Dragon-born in "Red Hand of Doom" (Eberron)
    Soren St.Croix in "The Resistance" (E6)
    Koan, the Mountain Glacier in "Masters of the Nine Swords"
    Mutt Scalawag in "Beyond the Horizon"
    Brigid, Princess of Bears in "Shadows of an Untold Land"

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NC
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Vaeri smiled at the boy as he brought her the food. After he left, she rose gingerly out of the bed and stretched her wings. Taking a moment, she put herself through stretching exercises, holding each position until she felt the tightness release. Several muscles hurt more than she was used to and she was grateful for the hot bath from the night before.

    As she moves through the exercises, she meditates on Lendys for the day. Faien and Auran's conversations around Justice and the Law had already prepped her mind to consider the Balancer.
    Spoiler
    Show

    OOC: Blood quickening: Lendys, +2 Concentration, Still Spell Feat for the day.


    Reaching into her bag, she picked out a set of traveler's clothes in blue and purple. She had unbraided her hair from last night and, now she rebraided it in a simple traveler's braid and tucked it up under a large floppy hat.

    Carefully, opening a box at the bottom of her pack, she pulls out two large feathers, purple and blue and tucks them into the brim of the hat, tightly.

    Taking a glance at herself in the reflection of the window, she gives a satisfied smile, shoulders her pack and throws her deep blue cloak over her arm as she heads downstairs.

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Finland

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Faien is already up when the serving boy arrives, having spent a few minutes carefully stretching out his legs before standing. Nodding to the boy, he eats methodically and with little attention, his mind focused instead on his shaping. The keen-eyed scouts of the past, all those that had divined paths for armies and saved squads from ambush, lend their tales and histories to his own. The faint blue lenses over his eyes change form slightly, shifting his enhanced perception from the realm of the supernatural to the mundane. If they were to walk willingly into another ambush, he wanted to catch it first, and if the hobgoblins deigned not to attack, at least he would still have a chance of finding them.

    Eventually, he dons his more-or-less dust-free armour (among its many other benefits, mithril was, as he had discovered, blessedly easy to keep clean) and heads down to meet the others.

    "Good morning to you all. You slept well, I hope?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    Shaping Keeneye Lenses in place of the Mage's Spectacles, and investing essentia for a +8 to Perception.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-09-26 at 10:13 AM.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei
    Eikaba

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OMG PONIES's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    You spend a sleepy, uneventful night in this sleepy, uneventful town, and nary a goblinoid disturbs your slumber. Well, unless you happen to be awakened at early o'clock in the morning when the serving girl makes her rounds, sweeping the hallways and refilling lamp oil...Once you've had a bit of time to either wake up and get out of bed or curse the world and roll over for a few more minutes, each of you is visited by a young boy in working clothes. The boy is a goblin of the same coloring as the serving girl last night, and is of similar age, probably making them siblings...
    The presence of the serving girl does little to wake Roni, as he snores so loudly every sound she makes is covered over. The young goblin boy who follows has to shake the spellscale vigorously to get any reaction, and even then he does little but mutter and roll over to shield his eyes from the light. However, he perks up as the scent of berry tea hits his nostrils and the talk of a more substantial breakfast goes straight from his ears to his stomach.

    Before coming downstairs, Roni thinks back over Auran's story of repentance. He retrieves a piece of parchment from his backpack and begins plucking out a tune on his mandolin. The song begins with lingering minor intervals, but picks up speed as the spellscale moves to higher and higher positions on the fretboard. As the notes get quicker, they also take on a more triumphant, major tonality. After hammering out a few bars, the spellscale jots a few notes down on the parchment before they flee his memory. In the empty space at the top of the page he scrawls: Auran's Theme.

    Roni rolls the parchment up and stows it away, then slides down the stairs like a silk sheet falling off a clothesline. Despite his morning activities and his desire for breakfast, his legs have still done little to awaken from their deep slumber. He finds his way to a chair as soon as possible, and nods to his companions that have already gathered. "So," he yawns, "any chance for bacon and eggs before we meet this minuteman?" His eyes catch the young goblinoid siblings busily running around serving the residents of Drellin's Ferry, and he can't help but ask. Leaning forward and lowering his voice, he asks, "Does anyone else see irony in the fact that they're calling gobs their slaves and a deadly threat in the same breath?" His voice is low enough that only his traveling companions can hear him.
    Iron Chef Optimization Challenge Old Head and Unofficial Archivist
    Yelling at You Dang Kids to Get Off my Lawn Since 2010

    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Finland

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Faien raises an eyebrow sharply, wondering just where such notions were coming from. "I would not find such a situation strange in the least," he replies, choosing ambiguity over a lowered voice, "but I think you are greatly overstating the former half of the equation."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei
    Eikaba

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PairO'Dice Lost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Malsheem, Nessus
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    The goblin boy overhears Roni's rhetorical question as he passes by and nods politely. He walks over to the bar, drops off the plates he was carrying, and says something to Gausler while pointing over at your table. Gausler nods in return and spoons a heaping helping of scrambled eggs, grits, and sliced fruit onto five plates from the grill or various bowls. "Oi, Zeke!" the half-orc bellows as he starts frying up more eggs, his powerful lungs easily cutting through the background chatter. "Those're them," he says as he points in your direction, "an' it looks like they're gonna be takin' a bit. Siddown an' have some chow!"

    A man stands up on the other side of the room, clad in a militia uniform and not looking like he's a morning person at all. He walks across the room and pulls over a chair to your table, sinking into it with a large yawn. "Thanks, Kech," the guard says with a smile as the goblin boy slides a plate and a mug in front of him, and the boy does the same for each of you before retreating. "Man, am I glad you folks decided to do breakfast. I hate doing the morning shift without my coffee." The man looks to be in his mid-forties and has the bearing of a laborer; calloused hands hold his mug as he takes a long swallow. He raises a hand in greeting when he puts the mug down. "Well, I'm Zeke Wright. Nice to meet you. I'll be coming with you this morning; the Captain sent me to come fetch you, so we can leave whenever you're ready. But don't worry, take your time. No sense in hurrying out if everyone's half-asleep on the way."
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.


    Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TekHed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Detroit Megacity

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    "Well met Zeke. It is good we are to have a guide in your territory." Soren dug into his grits which he swallowed with barely any chewing.

    "If it's all the same, I'd prefer we head out as soon as possible, to make the most of the day's light. Do enjoy your stimulants though..."
    Spoiler: My Characters:
    Show
    The Cruciform Shard in "Eyes of the Lich Queen" (Eberron)
    Auran Sol the Dragon-born in "Red Hand of Doom" (Eberron)
    Soren St.Croix in "The Resistance" (E6)
    Koan, the Mountain Glacier in "Masters of the Nine Swords"
    Mutt Scalawag in "Beyond the Horizon"
    Brigid, Princess of Bears in "Shadows of an Untold Land"

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OMG PONIES's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Finally, Roni thinks, akindred spirit. He takes advantage of the opportunity to eat before marching out and begins to shovel food into his face. "Jush gum me a few mumums," the spellscale tries to say from behind his food. Realizing the futility of speaking right now, he instead chooses to focus on his meal.

    The foods themselves are nothing he hadn't had a thousand times over in Sharn, but there's something about the way Gausler prepares it or the seasoning he adds that truly makes the flavor spring to life far more than any eatery in the city. This half-orc can cook.

    The elder Quickwing finishes his food in the blink of an eye and leaves his utensils clamoring against an empty plate. He bounces in his seat with the enthusiasm of a child, and any lingering malaise seems to have vanished. "Okay," he chimes as loud as a church bell, "let's beat feet!" He looks around the group and is surprised to see others still eating.
    Iron Chef Optimization Challenge Old Head and Unofficial Archivist
    Yelling at You Dang Kids to Get Off my Lawn Since 2010

    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Finland

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    "Good morning, Zeke; I am Faien Illimis." Taking a seat as it becomes clear they will be staying a bit longer, Faien tilts his head as Roni's food vanishes almost as quickly as it arrives. "How do you manage to march after eating like that?"

    Despite his words, he eats fairly quickly himself, and if he does not quite finish the meal, well, it is certainly not the fault of the cook. Once everyone has finished, he places a hand on the back of the chair and pushes himself to a standing position. "We do have a fair bit of ground to cover, but that alone will not be enough, so I am hoping rather for good fortune in our choice of paths. Let us meet with the Captain."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei
    Eikaba

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PairO'Dice Lost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Malsheem, Nessus
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    "Me too," Zeke agrees with Faien's hope for a short search. "Everyone's nerves are really getting frayed with all of the random attacks, and I can't wait until we can find their base and slaughter the fu--erm, the, uh, kill the hobgoblins," he finishes lamely, belatedly editing his expletive as he remembers that there's a young girl at the table. His cheeks redden over his error as he stands up abruptly. "Um, right then, let's go. No time to waste!"

    Guardsman Wright leads you all outside, holding the door for you with one hand and shading his eyes against the early morning glare with the other. When you're all outside, he unsheathes the short sword at his belt and suggests the rest of your ready yourselves. "They haven't made it to this part of town yet," he explains as he leads you down to the ferry, "but they keep getting closer, so best be ready for an attack at any time." The image he presents of a wary, alert militia member is spoiled by more than one yawn on the way. Soon enough you round a stand of trees and reach the ferry stop on the river, where the Captain and three other militia members are standing. A short, pudgy human--or a tall, thin dwarf, he could really be either one--stands in the ferry itself, and a large warforged stands next to the large capstan whose cables move the ferry. The Captain greets you, not looking or sounding at all tired, and ushers you on board.

    When you're embarked and ready, the man calls out "All right, Anvil, give 'er a spin!" and the warforged begins methodically turning the capstan, giving you a nice, leisurely journey across the river. You have a chance to talk a bit while you cross, and the man introduces himself as Drathgar, the great-grandnephew of the Drellin who gave the town its name. He explains that normally it's one silver for outsiders to cross, three with a mount, but the money Auran gave the Speaker will cover than and you're welcome to ride the ferry a few more times for free. The Captain informs you that the three militia men with you besides Zeke were chosen for their archery skills; they aren't as good in a straight-up fight, but no wounded hob is going to get away from you this time.

    The ferry trip takes a little over five minutes. You're soon disembarked and headed along the southernmost of the two eastern roads, called the Frowning Way. Zeke explains that the main north-south road to the east that you're headed for is called the Stern Road because it passes through Sterngate and is patrolled by the fort's soldiers, so some jokester in the town's history named the lower road to it Frowning Way due to the road's down-turned corners on a map and the upper road Smirking Way for similar reasons. Those townspeople who suspect the goblinoids of attacking from this area don't know whether to believe that the Sterngate soldiers no longer patrol the Stern Road and so have allowed the goblinoids to travel it unmolested, or that the goblinoids are just too cunning to be caught by the patrols, and they don't know which prospect is more disheartening.

    When you reach the Stern Road, there are no immediate signs of either goblinoid blockades or Brelish patrols, and as the road is made of wide, smooth stone, trying to determine what kinds of creatures or vehicles might have passed by is likely to be futile. "Right then," Soranna says when you reach the road, spear in one hand and shield in the other. "We can go north and look around the Vale first, or south and look at Marguul Pass. Basically comes down to whether you think they're coming out of the Seawalls or already have a presence in Breland. Your choice."
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.


    Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Finland

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    "If I were in such a position... I would be nearby, to coordinate the forces in place. I would guess that the commander here is the active type, one who would want to be close enough to swiftly receive news of disruptions and redeploy accordingly." Faien looks down the road, his eyes adjusting to the extra detail his enhanced sight can pick up. When every leaf stood out clearly, it became much easier to spot anything out of place, but it was also possible to become overwhelmed by the additional information.

    "North, then, would be my guess."
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei
    Eikaba

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TekHed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Detroit Megacity

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    "I agree with the Magistrate's assessment." Auran spoke. "Unfortunately, my wings are not yet strong enough to hold me aloft long enough for aerial reconnaissance, so our steeds will have to suffice, for now." The dragonborn reached down and stroked the neck of the handsome horse the speaker had provided for him.
    Spoiler: My Characters:
    Show
    The Cruciform Shard in "Eyes of the Lich Queen" (Eberron)
    Auran Sol the Dragon-born in "Red Hand of Doom" (Eberron)
    Soren St.Croix in "The Resistance" (E6)
    Koan, the Mountain Glacier in "Masters of the Nine Swords"
    Mutt Scalawag in "Beyond the Horizon"
    Brigid, Princess of Bears in "Shadows of an Untold Land"

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NC
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Vaeri had eaten quickly but quietly as she listened to the other make plans. Now on the road, her wings tucked carefully behind her as she sat on the horse, she watches the trees on both side of the road.

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PairO'Dice Lost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Malsheem, Nessus
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Your expedition makes good time along the road. You run into a towering half-orc leading three massive hounds through the woods sometime around midmorning. The man is carrying a large cord of wood, which he shifts to one shoulder to allow him to shake your hands, and he introduces himself as Jorr; he's a lumberjack who lives out here in the woods with his sons and his hounds and is the source of much of the wood Drellin's Ferry uses for firewood and carpentry. He chats pleasantly enough with the Captain and townsfolk, though it's clear from the dogs' skittishness and his impatient expression that he's in a rush to get home. "Hain't seen no gobbos hereabouts t'day," he tells you when you mention your current objectives, "but there been plenty o' gobbos trampin' 'round these parts recent-like, and I don't like t'leave the young'uns on their lonesome inna cabin more'n I need," and with that he takes his leave.

    Noon rolls around and Zeke suggests lunch. The militia give him a bit of ribbing about that--none of them got to sample Gausler's cooking this morning, after all, and if they can press on so can he--and one points out that they should wait until they reach the bridge ahead to take a break for lunch. "Dunno about you, but I haven't had any good crawfish in too long. You can catch yourself a rabbit or something, but I'm waiting for the river." That settles the matter, and everyone presses on.

    The river mentioned is the Derrek'egaar, Goblin for "Twisting Serpent," and indeed the general shape looks like a massive slithering snake when it comes into view. It's more of a swamp than a river for most of the year, since the river overflows its banks in the rainy season and turns the surrounding area to a marshy mush, so as you all approach the river the Stern Road narrows to about two-thirds its normal width and transitions into a raised wooden causeway about a food and a half off the ground. You can see the occasional short ladder leading down from the causeway with small wooden platforms at the bottom, for people who want to go fishing or find prawns or just sit there and enjoy nature. There is very little tree cover near the riverbanks, so as you get close enough to hear the flow and babble of the river you can make out something sticking out of the water and reeds on the left side of the causeway.

    On closer inspection it appears to be a wagon with a few humanoid corpses scattered around it, but any identification of the wagon or the bodies at this distance is practically impossible, as both are covered in mud and sunk partway into the bog. "Damn hobs," the Captain growls. "Guess that explains the lack of traders on the eastern roads. Should probably see if we can pull them out and identify them."


    Spoiler
    Show
    The green grassy areas are normal dry land. The bluish green areas are two-foot-deep bog and count as difficult terrain. You can hop down from the causeway to the bog or climb back onto it from the bog as a move action. The causeway itself is slippery, and you need to make a DC 10 Balance check to move at full speed across it, or DC 15 to run or charge, otherwise you fall prone.


    Knowledge (Nature) or Survival 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    From the way the wagon and bodies are slowly moving back and forth with the reeds, it would seem the area along the river's edge with the darker mud and grasses is deeper and more watery than it would first appear. You'll need to be cautious to avoid falling in if you get too close.


    Perception 19
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is a reptilian...something coiled around one wheel of the wagon. It's long, sinuous, fairly thick, and scaly, possibly a large snake of some sort.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.


    Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TekHed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Detroit Megacity

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Auran seems to be enjoying the warm beautiful weather and the views of the Vale, and doesn't even notice the overturned wagon and it's former stewards until it's pointed out to him.

    "Well, it might have been goblins or something else. There's no way to be sure without closer inspection. I'm afraid I'm not much of a woodsman. Once, in another life, but so much of that knowledge has been lost to me. Nonetheless, it would be prudent for us to stop and investigate, before we pause to rest and eat."

    He squints his eyes at the bog. "What do you think Faien...can our steeds handle it?"

    Spoiler
    Show

    Survival: (1d20+1)[2]
    Perception: [roll1d20+5[/roll]

    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-10-15 at 10:30 PM.
    Spoiler: My Characters:
    Show
    The Cruciform Shard in "Eyes of the Lich Queen" (Eberron)
    Auran Sol the Dragon-born in "Red Hand of Doom" (Eberron)
    Soren St.Croix in "The Resistance" (E6)
    Koan, the Mountain Glacier in "Masters of the Nine Swords"
    Mutt Scalawag in "Beyond the Horizon"
    Brigid, Princess of Bears in "Shadows of an Untold Land"

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Finland

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    "Hm, bringing them down there would be unnecessarily troublesome. Unless we end up needing to drag the wagon out of there, we can climb down on foot." Faien scans the trees on both sides of the river carefully, but seeing no sign of archers, advances partway up the causeway before dismounting.

    "I see no sign of an ambush, but I shall go ahead, in case they are evading my sight. Follow if it becomes clear the way is safe." Walking carefully up to where the wagon apparently tipped off the causeway, he drops down into the bog to inspect it more closely.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei
    Eikaba

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PairO'Dice Lost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Malsheem, Nessus
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Zeke and one of the woodsmen follow Faien as he walks over to inspect the wagon. "Careful, sir, it looks like the bank's eroded a bit and the ground drops out right next to the river," says Zeke, pointing out the different coloration of the reeds near the wagon and the squishiness of the ground there. "You'll want to stay on this side of the wagon."

    The three reach the wagon and begin their inspection. Zeke reaches out to turn over one of the corpses near the rear left wheel, but hesitates. "Uh, Magistrate? I think there's--!" He is suddenly cut off as what appears to be a thick, ugly snake lying over the axle hisses and rears back, mouth wide to show many gleaming fangs. It is joined by a second snake-thing that rises out of the water...then another...then three more...then finally a massive body to which the snake-things are attached. Zeke only has time to get out an "Oh sh--!" before the fanged maws dive in towards the magistrate and militia.

    Faien dives out of the way in time, getting quite a bit of mud on his clothes in the process, but the others are not so lucky. Zeke's left sleeve is torn off and five or six reddish gashes appear on his arm as he throws his arm over his face and dives to the side. His companion has it even worse as the monster's bite rips a huge chunk out of his stomach, and with a strangled gasp the militia member unceremoniously slumps face-first into the mud. "No! Zeke! Bors!" cries one of the militia on the bridge with the others, but it's looking bad for Bors, and unless someone can get to Zeke and Faien quickly they should probably change their names to "lunch" and "dinner."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Surprise!

    Two bites for each of you, all against flat-footed AC
    Zeke
    Bite: (1d20+8)[13]; Damage: (1d10+3)[11]
    Bite: (1d20+8)[16]; Damage: (1d10+3)[5]
    Redshirt
    Bite: (1d20+8)[20]; Damage: (1d10+3)[9]
    Bite: (1d20+8)[10]; Damage: (1d10+3)[9]
    Faien
    Bite: (1d20+8)[16]; Damage: (1d10+3)[12]
    Bite: (1d20+8)[9]; Damage: (1d10+3)[11]

    Initiative
    Vaeri: (1d20+3)[16]
    Roni: (1d20+2)[20]
    Auran: (1d20+0)[14]
    Faien: (1d20-3)[-1]
    Soranna: (1d20+2)[11]
    Militia: (1d20+1)[9]
    Monster: (1d20+1)[13]
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2012-10-16 at 03:00 AM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.


    Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PairO'Dice Lost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Malsheem, Nessus
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Map--Surprise Round
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.


    Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Finland

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Bashing away a fanged maw with his shield, Faien curses as the militia members are not so lucky. "Zeke, withdraw," he snaps as he gauges the terrain, flicking a gauntleted hand to the side to grab the creature's attention. "I will heal Bors as soon as I am able."

    "Roni, Vaeri, stay on the causeway and provide fire support," he calls. "I can handle its attention; it won't likely be deterred easily, so we will have to dispose of it."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Yay, everyone in danger botches their initiative checks. Silly NPCs, Faien told you to stay back for good reason. :3
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-10-16 at 10:23 AM.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei
    Eikaba

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OMG PONIES's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Roni raises his mother's brooch to his lips and kisses it, murmuring "Better them than us, Vaer," to his sister under his breath. He pulls his mandolin from his satchel and strums a fierce tremelo. Part of him hated being stuck on the causeway far from the action, but another part of him blessed his lucky stars that he wasn't closer to the ravenous heads. "Fire support?" he calls out with a smirk, "I think I can handle that." As he continues playing, small sparks fly from his fretboard.

    Swift action: activate Badge of Valor (2/3 daily charges remaining)
    Move action: draw masterwork mandolin
    Standard action: activate Dragonfire Inspiration (3/4 daily uses remaining)
    No action: activate Knowledge Devotion (boosted by Collector of Stories) Knowledge Nature - (1d20+10)[22] and identify this creature.

    All allies' attacks receive +3d6 fire damage. Roni's attacks also gain a further +2 insight bonus to attack and damage from Knowledge Devotion.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2012-10-16 at 08:11 PM.
    Iron Chef Optimization Challenge Old Head and Unofficial Archivist
    Yelling at You Dang Kids to Get Off my Lawn Since 2010

    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TekHed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Detroit Megacity

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Auran's eyes went wide when he saw the many-headed monstrosity make a meal out of their guide. Wasting no time Auran unfurled his wings, flapping them with a great downdraft to vault himself over the railing into the marsh, readying his shield as he did so. The muck proved quite difficult to move through however, and he barely managed to make it to Faien's side in time. Once there he withdrew his healing wand from it's sheath.

    "Faien, keep it's attention, while I see to Bors. I'll back you up shortly." The Paladin's presence was palpable, and everyone nearby felt a sense of courage fill them, making them feel invincible, able to parry any attack.

    "Zeke, bring Bors here, there may yet be time to save him. Watch those heads!"

    Spoiler
    Show

    Too bad we can't use Immediate Actions while Flat-Footed, or I might have been able to save Zeke.

    Take 10 on Jump Check gives me 21 or 10 feet without running start. Then the rest of my move action to close the next 1o feet (difficult, counts as 20') to end up in the square to the right of Faien. By my understanding of the space and reach rules, this puts me just out of the diagonal reach of it. Let me know if not. Draw Shield as part of move action. Free action ready wand from bracer. This assumes Bors is still alive; you made it sound like he could survive if given immediate attention, and lesser vigor should stabilize him. Let me know if upon getting closer, it is clear that there is no coming back for Bors, and I'll have Auran ready his Warstar instead.

    Immediate (in this case my swift action since it's on my turn) action to activate Protection Devotion, giving Auran, Zeke, and all other allies within 30' of Auran a +3 Sacred bonus to AC.

    Auran's AC now 22. all allies within 30' gain +2 on saves.

    Protection Devotion: 10 rounds
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-10-17 at 02:05 AM.
    Spoiler: My Characters:
    Show
    The Cruciform Shard in "Eyes of the Lich Queen" (Eberron)
    Auran Sol the Dragon-born in "Red Hand of Doom" (Eberron)
    Soren St.Croix in "The Resistance" (E6)
    Koan, the Mountain Glacier in "Masters of the Nine Swords"
    Mutt Scalawag in "Beyond the Horizon"
    Brigid, Princess of Bears in "Shadows of an Untold Land"

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PairO'Dice Lost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Malsheem, Nessus
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    "By the Six, people, wait more than five seconds before you follow someone into a dangerous situation!" Soranna calls out in frustration. Zeke looks embarrassed as he starts sloshing through the knee-high reeds back to the causeway. The Captain looks at Auran and Roni leaping into action, then over at the other two militia men fumbling out their bows, and snaps, "Davis, Baden, we've been through this! Hobs and swamp monsters aren't going to send you an engraved invitation! Come on, come on, come on!" The Captain already has her spear and shield in hand, of course, and she nods approvingly as Roni's tune sets her spearhead ablaze.

    "If you want something done right..." she murmurs as she looks for an opening in the creature's weaving pattern of gnashing teeth, and when Vaeri offers to transpose her with Bors she quickly accepts. As soon as the white glow of Auran's healing magic begins to trace over Bors, Soranna motions to Vaeri with her spear and suddenly Bors is sprawled unconscious on the causeway while Soranna is standing next to Faien in a combat stance. She moves to cover the magistrate with her shield as the creature lunges forward to attack, then lunges forward and thrusts at it in return, but the creature's heads are whipping around too fast for her to get in a solid hit.

    The woodsmen finally ready their bows and send a pair of arrows flying at the beast, one of which sinks into a long sinuous neck. The creature hisses loudly as the fire surrounding the arrow sears into its skin, but as you watch the arrow is slowly forced out of the wound and the burn begins to fade.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone adjacent to the Captain gains +5 untyped to AC.

    The hydra attacks 6 more times, 3 each to Faien and Soranna
    Faien
    Bite: (1d20+8)[28]; Damage: (1d10+3)[5]
    Bite: (1d20+8)[20]; Damage: (1d10+3)[5]
    Bite: (1d20+8)[28]; Damage: (1d10+3)[7]
    EDIT: Two auto-hits, yikes. Faien takes 12.
    Soranna
    Bite: (1d20+8)[24]; Damage: (1d10+3)[8]
    Bite: (1d20+8)[20]; Damage: (1d10+3)[11]
    Bite: (1d20+8)[22]; Damage: (1d10+3)[11]

    Soranna's attack:
    Shortspear: (1d20+5)[6]; Damage: (2d6+3)[10] plus [roll]3d6[roll] fire

    Militia attacks
    Longbow: (1d20+3)[20]; Damage: (1d8+1)[2] plus [roll]3d6[roll] fire
    Longbow: (1d20+3)[15]; Damage: (1d8+1)[4] plus [roll]3d6[roll] fire
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2012-10-18 at 10:51 PM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.


    Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PairO'Dice Lost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Malsheem, Nessus
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Map--Round 1
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.


    Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    TekHed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Detroit Megacity

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Seeing their militia man would be safe, Auran tossed his wand aside in the grass, then raised his shield high, calling upon Bahamut to protect them in battle. The shield began to grow brightly, and as he moved into position, the dragonborn used it to swat away at the hydra's heads. As he trudged through the knee-deep muck, Auran drew his warstar, now enflamed, and drove it's heavy spikes into the beast's scaly hide.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Free Action drop wand in grass-filled square south of Auran's current position (where it won't sink into the bog and be lost).

    Swift Action Divine Shield, spending one turn undead attempt, granting Auran a further +5 tuntyped bonus to his shield AC (32 now while adjacent to Soranna).

    Then move 15' (costs 30') up and diagonal to be adjacent just north of Soranna on the map. He moves out of two threatened squares so will take two AoO for doing so.

    Standard action attack with warstar: (1d20+8)[15] Damage: (1d10+2)[12]+(3d6)[13] fire.

    Protection Devotion: 9 Rounds
    Divine Shield: 2 rounds
    Last edited by TekHed; 2012-10-19 at 02:55 AM.
    Spoiler: My Characters:
    Show
    The Cruciform Shard in "Eyes of the Lich Queen" (Eberron)
    Auran Sol the Dragon-born in "Red Hand of Doom" (Eberron)
    Soren St.Croix in "The Resistance" (E6)
    Koan, the Mountain Glacier in "Masters of the Nine Swords"
    Mutt Scalawag in "Beyond the Horizon"
    Brigid, Princess of Bears in "Shadows of an Untold Land"

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Sallera's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Finland

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    As two of the creature's maws clamp down on his arm, battering mithril and bruising flesh, Faien raises his other hand, the azure tracery on his breastplate and the lenses over his eyes fading into transparence as he draws forth a blade already humming with contained power. Struggling forward through the bog, he sweeps the blade out to the side, the flames of Roni's song taking hold as he brings it back across the base of his foe's many necks.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Tek, you can't provoke more than one AoO from the same creature with a single movement, but it doesn't matter since Faien's going to eat one of them anyway. I just hope it doesn't roll too many more 20s.

    Swift to reassign essentia to Blade and Gauntlets.
    Move 5ft forward to the left of Soranna, drawing sword.
    Attack: (1d20+7)[9]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[10] + (4d6)[14] electricity + (3d6)[12] fire
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    August
    Sei
    Eikaba

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    OMG PONIES's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Roni Quickwing

    Roni grimaces as he watches his allies' attacks miss, one after the other. His magical song wouldn't go far if the others couldn't land a hit. For a quick moment, he thinks about changing his tune to inspire accuracy in his allies, but a different idea struck him as quick as a bee sting. He realizes that, given the beast's number of heads, it may be a better idea to hamper it than to make his friends any stronger.

    With a quick utterance, Roni plucks a pinch of glistening, golden mica from his pouch. He blows it from his hand, and it flies upstream to settle in a cloud that envelopes the hydra but spares his friends. Should work, he tells himself. Hydras are strong as a house and quick as a carriage, but dumb as the oxen that pull 'em. Hopefully this one sticks." As the glittery cloud settles in the monster's eyes, a faint sizzling sound is heard as the glitter burns the creature's skin.

    The hydra must make a Will save (DC 17) or be blinded, and if it is evil it also takes (2d6)[7] damage thanks to Roni's blood quickening.
    Iron Chef Optimization Challenge Old Head and Unofficial Archivist
    Yelling at You Dang Kids to Get Off my Lawn Since 2010

    This is what happens when they let me DM: Beyond the Horizon!

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NC
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Circle of Life's Red Hand of Doom IC Thread

    Vaeri shudders as the multi-headed creature attacks her companions. Having whisked the militia man out of the way she turns to her spells.

    "Whoa, that's quite a beast. Let's see how he likes this."

    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Move closer 15 ft.
    Cast orb of cold, no save, no SR

    ranged touch
    (1d20+5)[12]
    (3d8)[10]
    Last edited by Fireheart; 2012-10-24 at 01:05 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •